Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best/most powder-
    Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 10:46pm
oops sorry to mention which resort it was.
It was Niseko united and Rusutusu both lie in Hokkaido japan about 2 hours from Sapporo airport on a clear day
The reason they get such epic amounts and quality of snow is that there so close to the ocean. on a blue bird you can see the ocean and faintly the coast of russia from the peak. What happens is Siberia which is freezing builds up storms which are incredibly cold, they drift across the sea of japan towards Hokkaido where they pick up a lot of water.. that all gets dumped on japans north island which i Hokkaido... right where niseko plus another hundred or so resorts are located. As i said before niseko averages around 16 meters ( 52 feet or 650 inches) per season

NOT SNOWBIRD..... allthough i would love to ride that mountain.
09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 3:59am
nice, I need to go to Japan.  Looks sweet
x_X
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 9:01am
dang, japan's got it good: epic snow and surf.  Kinda like california...only japan's water is probably a lot warmer
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by shop_39014

dang, japan's got it good: epic snow and surf.  Kinda like california...only japan's water is probably a lot warmer

From what I have read about it is pretty similar too so cal in water temp. Gets warm in the summer and cold in the winter.
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 5:46pm
it sucks i dont surf.. cause the only board sport i do is snowboarding.. because surfing looks cool but i have no where to do it ha
days:60
riding on ice, filming on ice
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2009 at 6:58pm
There are a few spots that are now doing indoor surfing. Never done it but it is being made more available but it has been around for a number of years. Although it wouldn't be as good as the real thing.
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 6:10am
almost like indoor snowboarding?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 6:21am
I used to think surfing was similar to snowboarding...but, with experience, I now think snowboarding is a completely different skill than both surfing or skateboarding.

the cool thing about surfing is it's something that is just fun as snowboarding that you can do in the off season. 

Skateboarding is cool too, but it's so urban.  Snowboarding and surfing really get you out of your element.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 7:41am
Originally posted by svellanki1

Someone mentioned The Utah resorts are really close to the airport.  Are there any other resorts out west that are also close to airports?

Also, which airports are usually the cheaper ones to fly into?
Salt lake.

Snowbird, solitude, brighton, ---all under half hour....

Park City and the canyons are 30-40 minutes...

It's ridiculous how easy the access is to the mountain..
If it bleeds, we can kill it
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 8:18am

I used to think surfing was similar to snowboarding...but, with experience, I now think snowboarding is a completely different skill than both surfing or skateboarding.

the cool thing about surfing is it's something that is just fun as snowboarding that you can do in the off season. 

As long as there are surfable waves. Which is the only down side to surfing i see.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Timmay_650

]

As long as there are surfable waves. Which is the only down side to surfing i see.

+1...also I think the learning curve for surfing is steeper...well at least for me.  No upper body strength whatsoever.  
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2009 at 10:08pm
Learning to surf sucks. It is so much worse and harder to learn how to really surf than snowboard. But what makes it so hard makes it so much fun too. Well surfing is really easy standing there and turning the board is very simple. It is learning to read the waves and being strong enough to catch them, is the really hard part.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 6:35am
I don't even train for snowboarding - I just go hop on the lift and ride down.  Yeah, I feel fatigued by the end of the day, but it's doable

if I skip even 2 weeks of surfing, I have to start doing push-ups, crunches and weightless squats or I'll be a useless noodle when I paddle back out

surfing beach breaks is the most difficult because there's more paddling.  You have chase down shifty peaks and there less point of reference than pier, point or jetty breaks.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 3:23pm
I hate how in shape you have to be for surfing.
In my mind all places take too much paddling except for a great day at steamer lane in Santa cruz. It is a point and you can get out and walk around jump back in at the point it is sweet. I have seen every kinda of break that more or less paddling. It seems like with beach breaks you are paddling a lot or not much. I like the not much days better.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 3:32pm
Yup...I took a break from surfing for snowboarding season and am now getting back into it.  It's frustrating because when I stopped I was almost at the point where I could catch waves/ starting to catch waves and now I get tired just by paddling out to the line up.  I really need to get back into surfing shape.  

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 3:49pm
Yea I am the same way I live in Idaho for fall and winter for school and come back to CA for summer to work. It is amazing how much slower i paddle.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 3:52pm

]Yea I am the same way I live in Idaho for fall and winter for school and come back to CA for summer to work. It is amazing how much slower i paddle.

Yup, but with snowboarding it's a lot easier to get back to where you were in the season before.  Probably because you use leg muscles more on a daily basis than arms.  
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 4:39pm
Yea and you don't have to hike up the mt too. You just have to come down. I think if i had to hike i might be close. But it is turn I use my leg muscle a lot in the off season which is nice. And with snowboard you can go as fast or as slow as you want and it doesn't matter. Take breaks when you always almost anywhere but surfing you can't just stop half way out it just doesn't work at most places. 
xX Burton Rid3r Xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 5:26pm

it must really suck getting caught in like a 30ft pipeline when surfing, id probably get killed if i ever tried that

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 5:49pm

]Yea and you don't have to hike up the mt too. You just have to come down. I think if i had to hike i might be close. But it is turn I use my leg muscle a lot in the off season which is nice. And with snowboard you can go as fast or as slow as you want and it doesn't matter. Take breaks when you always almost anywhere but surfing you can't just stop half way out it just doesn't work at most places. 

Yeah...the only place I can take breaks is on the beach or while I'm at the lineup, but I have to watch for waves because I've been caught off guard before.  I never factored in the lifts until you mentioned it, but yeah you wouldn't be so tired if someone towed you out there on a surfboard.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2009 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by xX Burton Rid3r Xx

it must really suck getting caught in like a 30ft pipeline when surfing, id probably get killed if i ever tried that

I know that place just scares me at most sizes that would be fun.  I think i would like it about head high not much bigger. I have been caught inside too much in big waves and it sucks when you finally get a breath another wave is right there.

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 6:13am
Originally posted by hana24

Yup...I took a break from surfing for snowboarding season...
that's what I do now, too. 

Winters up here get too cold and stormy to have much fun surfing...it's just too big and crazy.  Heading up to the mountain is the perfect alternative.  I'm so glad I discovered snowboarding.   
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 2:29pm
I am glad we turned one of dylanpipe many treads into a surfing one. We didn't even have to create a new crappy one just changed it.
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 2:42pm
ha ha I dont care if you, do. do what ever to it
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 3:32pm
where do you guys surf?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 5:29pm
I surf mostly in Santa Cruz but anywhere from there to SF you can find me. I have surfed the whole coast, I think i have hit most of the major beaches. My mom grew up in San Diego, so I have surfed there a bunch.
I was way excited I just order a new board (new to me, used)
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 7:12pm
I surf mostly huntington beach area...I'm gonna try to get back into it this month.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2009 at 8:52pm
I like Huntington beach. When I was younger I was down there for like a wedding of people i didn't know. So i dropped my parents off they were going to set up and do a bunch of stuff starting in the morning/ afternoon and i look the van and started at Newport and there was nothing there so i ending up driving to Huntington b/c i knew that was the best chance of waves and there was some fun ones nothing big and only a few people out. That was a fun day of surfing. Then I went and eat free food at the wedding too bad there wasn't cute girls my age at the wedding.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2009 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by hana24

where do you guys surf?
between Pismo and morro bay.  It not that great at pismo and only a little better at morro, but we don't get the ridiculous socal crowds of beginners (I've surfed huntington enough to know how bad it can getDead)

we also have montana de oro within a 30 min drive, but it's 3X bigger and colder + plus a seal breeding ground and the great whites that come with that.  On the map, you'll see it sticks out into the pacific, so it gets a huge swell angle window and the continental shelf is much closer/deeper than the surrounding area.  Even though it's so close, it's usually advanced, intimidating and isolated
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2009 at 1:28pm
oopsEmbarrassed
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2009 at 2:20pm

oopsEmbarrassed

hahaha thanks for letting me know!  I'm a beginner so I'm one of those ppl that make Huntington Beach crowded and bad. LOL
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2009 at 4:02pm
Hey shop, Do you know anything about beach camping in that area. I have been wanted to do beach camping and wake up and be able to walk down to the beach and go surfing. I have been thinking about big sur but i have never been there.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2009 at 8:47am
yeah, I've camped at the south pismo drive-on beach -  found a perfect split peak sand bar when I walked way down.  I was on it by myself (and a seal), but it was absolutely perfect so I didn't care.  Summers can get pretty hectic down there with all the ATVs on the dunes, but just go as far south as you can and you'll get some privacy.

you can camp on the beach at montana de oro, too.  I've never done it, but I've seen surfers camping in their driftwood forts

of course you can also camp at big sur, but that's super isolated

...either way, even summers gets cold up here at night, so bring a low temp, high tech sleeping bag and good pad (sand isn't nearly as soft as people think)
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2009 at 8:33pm
Yea I have slept on the beach a few time before. I took a road trip down to Mexico and slept a few time on the beach there and when i was younger.

I love that when it is just you and maybe one other and then a seal but not a sea lion those thing are big.
Once one of them chased a kid out of the water. There a prob 5-10 of us and one just came out of the nowhere and a kid for freaked and started paddling in and it kept coming up behind him. I laughed really hard.

I got my new board today I am so excited to do ride it.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2009 at 10:27am
cool.  We did plenty of the rosarito/ensenada trips in the late 80s, when I lived in LA.  In the late 90s, we drove all the way to Cabo and back, surfing all the way...there were some scary moments, but I'm glad I did it.  It would take a lot for me to do that again, mostly because it's such a long, deserted drive.

Here in Pismo, I had a group of young seals playing with my leash once.  They were smaller, but you still never know if they're gonna nip your leg, so it was still a little intimidating

What board did you get?  I just got a TL2/epoxy UFO...kinda freakin out because it's a lot smaller than my regular fiberglass boards, so we'll see if it's a keeper next week
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2009 at 2:53pm
I got the Surftech JC Hawaii Peter mel which is the Tuflite. Yea it is my First TL/epoxy board, I have only demo them once before when i was looking to buy a new board and i liked them a lot but couldn't pay the price for one. So i got a M10 board from the factory as a blemish one for cheap. So I wasn't going to buy a new board anytime soon but i was on the internet messing around and saw the JC for about $120 and they said it was in great condition but no real picture. So i took the risk and brought it and was so excited when i saw it b/c it looks like someone waxed it and rode it once without a traction pad and decide they didn't like it. Which is great for me.  
I think i hitting the beach tomorrow to see what i think of it but i am going to have to ride it without a traction pad which i dislike.

http://www.surftech.com/boardDetails.php?bid=SURFBDS+%3A+L1192-0604-JC&type=SURFBDS++&shaper=JC+Hawaii&skill=&weight=&rshape=&cond=&qual=

dudeguy-man View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2009 at 6:33am
Alaska if you can, but if not, probably utah. Snowbird Utah has some sicko beans powder days.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2009 at 8:36am

I got the Surftech JC Hawaii Peter mel which is the Tuflite. Yea it is my First TL/epoxy board, I have only demo them once before when i was looking to buy a new board and i liked them a lot but couldn't pay the price for one. So i got a M10 board from the factory as a blemish one for cheap. So I wasn't going to buy a new board anytime soon but i was on the internet messing around and saw the JC for about $120 and they said it was in great condition but no real picture. So i took the risk and brought it and was so excited when i saw it b/c it looks like someone waxed it and rode it once without a traction pad and decide they didn't like it. Which is great for me.  
I think i hitting the beach tomorrow to see what i think of it but i am going to have to ride it without a traction pad which i dislike.

yeah, I also considered the peter mel.  I like the fact it has a flatter rocker and a wider nose - that'll make it faster and easier to paddle in mushier waves. 

Hope you got the right size because surftech are super floaty...which is great for paddling on a glassy days, but sucks in offshore days, heavy texture and/or when you try to sink the board in the barrel (might want to hold on to your old fiberglass board for those conditions).  In my experience, you gotta get these much smaller than you think...or, at least, pay attention to difference in volumes.

I have owned a 6'4" tuflite Rusty Pirahna for about five years now (probably shoulda got the 6'0") and I've only had 4 dings...and NO pressure dents on the deck Big smile (a fiberglass board that old would have been all fugly by now).   One of the dings is from when I bailed it into longboard (beginner on a soft-top trying to paddle out right through the impact zone Angry)...it was a really heavy collision that would have undoubtedly snapped my fiberglass board.

tuflites are stiffer than fiberglass, but I got used to it and started compensating after a few botched turns.  Also, the gloss coat doesn't grip wax well and I felt like it was slowing me down (kinda like having zero structure on a snowboard base), so I took some fine 1500 grit wet sandpaper to it and gave the whole thing a matte finish...lightly going from tip to tail, of course.  Definitely some improvement.

Tuflite II fixed these two issues and I'm really stoked to see how it works on monday.  TL2 is still horribly light, so it's not a "quiver killer" by any means.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2009 at 4:37pm
Yea I went today and it was a really good day for the summer here. It was 3-5 foot waves mostly the rare bigger wave came in.
I was happy with how easy it was to paddle, i got out to the line up way fast and easy but that also caused me to be launching late Angry but i think i will get used to that fast. My first wave i launched too far in and i knew it but i was shocked how fast the board and stable the board was. The second thing i noticed was the easy it when from rail too rail the board flowed really well and came out the turns really nicely. But I don't have a traction pad on it so that was really throwing off my surfing.
The big downside i felt was the spot i was surfing only works at low tide when i tide comes you get backwash and it gets really bumpy. When that was happening it hit a bumpy spot and the board just kinda buck me off, i was not ready for how it took the chop.
My biggest disappointment is how much it surfer just like my other board. But it will be a little better for a lot of the summer waves which will be nice.
Yea it is the wrong size for me I too should of gone with a 6'2 board or maybe even a 6'0 board but for a $120 for the board, you won't hear me complaining. Yea and my old board isn't going away where most likely, well if i was going to sell a board it might be the new one b/c the money i can make from just selling it, Clean off the wax and I prob can sell it for $300-400 but i don't need the money so i prob won't. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2009 at 6:30pm
true, tuflites have good resale value because of their reputation for durability.  You should make a decent profit.

I just tried to take off the OAM traction pad off one of my older surfboards so I could put it on my new board, but it just ripped to shreds...so don't buy OAM if you want to re-use it.  I also have an old Astro Deck pad I've used on three different boards (3M adhesive spray works great) and it still works perfectly.

hope these south swells last through next week...I'm heading to the beach tomorrow through friday  
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2009 at 10:02pm
Yea I will prob spend the $30 and buy a new one. Which sucks in the O'Neill surf shop had a big sale a few weeks ago and i was looking at them for $15 and almost got one but then i thought i wouldn't use it. I blew that.
Luck a whole week of surfing. Best luck!  Yea I am hoping they stay around for awhile too.  
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 9:09am
Hey Shop 39014 How was the trip get some good waves?

And can you expand on "so I took some fine 1500 grit wet sandpaper to it and gave the whole thing a matte finish...lightly going from tip to tail, of course.  Definitely some improvement."
On the top or the bottom or the whole thing?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 12:55pm
Monday and tuesday were solid 4 foot groundswell from the south.  Unfortunately, the sandbars in pismo basically only work on windswells...and, since I didn't feel like driving to the only reef/point break in town (ultra crowded), I basically just got wet by dropping into some huge close-outs. 

Wednesday had a mix of leftover south swell and the beginning of windswell.  Can't remember any of my waves from this day...so it must have just been so-so.

Thursday and friday were really fun - almost all windswell (2-3 ft) and the on-shore winds never really kicked up that bad (like they usually do by noon).  The pirahna was really in it's element.

...I also almost got into a fight by the pier, due to a group of guys who kept harassing me (more on that later, if you're interested)

...anyway, I lightly sanded the whole board.   The top now holds wax better and the bottom seems a little faster.  Also, the board now looks and feels more like a watercraft and less of a shiney/colorful showpiece.  Of course, the resale value is undoutedly depreciated a bit by doing this, but I'd rather have the best performance possible.
ekaj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 2:16pm
My vote goes to Hakuba in Japan, looks totally awesome a few of my mates went over and said the powder is crazy and also its supposibily quite cheap as well.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 3:54pm
I know those days (mon & tues) it is a good ride if you get a bottom turn in. And maybe once you will hit a nice corner and get somewhat of a real ride but that is rare.
Yea I went friday too but the waves shut down for me the tide was killing everything in santa cruz which sucked. But I found an ok sandbar but the problem wasn't the wave, there was like 5 belly boards and they seems to be in spots perfect for me to run over.

Of course I want to hear about the fight, I am shocked i have never been in a fight but have pissed people off with my longboard but that is the closest and Santa cruz in a really strong local spot.

Yea I did not like the wax on the top of my board it really was annoying. I think i might have to sand mine too.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 7:03pm
...so, I got up at 5:30 am on Friday and dawn patrolled at the pier because it had the best wave at that particular time (I usually try to avoid crowds, if the waves are good farther down).  Being basically the start of the weekend and no school, there were already about 6 guys on it. 

So I paddled out a little farther down just to get warmed up before heading into the pack.  I quickly caught a little wave that closed out on me.  I fell and my board went flying away from me to the length of my leash.  Well, this dude pops up from out of nowhere, grabs my my board and throws it aside yelling "WHAT THE F*CK!!!???

Of course, I didn't mean to get that close to him (my board never even touched him) and didn't get a chance to apologize before he threw a temper tantrum. Anyways, it wasn't completely my fault because he was too cool to make any effort to paddle away from my path.  He wasn't hurt and was acting way out of line, so I decided not to say anything.

Well, turns out, this guy thinks he's all local, even though I've never seen him in the 15 years I've been surfing there.  He even surfs all sloppy with no style...like someone who hasn't been doing it long (Cal Poly?) . 

So, he starts trying to get everybody else to heckle me (I had never seen any of them either).   All he could really come up with was "jokes" about my hood (hey, it was 6 am, overcast and kinda chilly...I'm not going to be cold just so I can look fashionable)

Unfortunately, one of the other guys kept bringing up the near miss and was literally trying to instigate the guy to the next level.  I was just sitting there waiting for him because I knew he was all talk and I could take him in a real fight - I was totally ready for anything he had to offer (although I was thinking about the fact the other turds would need to back him up).

I didn't say a word the whole time and just paddled outside for a set wave.  Fortunately, a good one came and I got into a paddle battle with the asshole that was messing with me...and I smoked him!!!  He yelled in frustration right in my ear as I pumped a ton of speed right by him, shredding it all the way to the inside.  You can imagine how satisfying that was.

I paddled back out and saw he and his friend had paddled in.  I was thinking "good riddance".  About five minutes later, they both paddled back out on soft-top longboards....what a couple of feminine cleansers.

I know what you mean - I might expect that from some of the meth-heads that
are fixtures at better, more well known spots.  But it's bizzare to see that at pismo...especially since I can surf just as good as most of the guys here

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 7:21pm

]...Yea I did not like the wax on the top of my board it really was annoying. I think i might have to sand mine too.
before I sanded it, some of the wax bumps would come loose and just slide off.  It still isn't as good at holding wax as a fiberglass board, but less of the bumps fall off after I sanded it

you might want to make sure your board is a keeper before sanding it.  I've had my surftech for 5 years and didn't sand it until about the 4th year....it already had dings and I knew I loved the board

if you're going to sand it, take it easy.  It only takes 3 or 4 light passes with the 1500 grit to get a matte finish....any more and you'll rub through the second layer (not that it would weaken anything on these boards)
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:37pm
I hate people like him that act so hard and just love being a jerk. But it is good that you didn't get the crap kicked out of you. He seems like one of those people who would start fighting you one on one then when they start to lose have 2 friends jump in. And then things don't look good for you.

I love smoking people, it is a great feeling when they think they are all that. But that is so wrong to bring out your soft tops. There are a bunch of locals around here that would of kicked the crap out of them of that.

I love hoods I want to get a suit with one. I have even wore a hood a booties before without a wet suit. I looked really funny but i didn't care.

"especially since I can surf just as good as most of the guys here"
I remember when i final got good enough where they would give me a spot in the line up and not just burn me. It is really nice having that feeling you can hold your own surfing.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:45pm
Yea I think i will most likely keep the board. I don't really need money. And it is a nice board but i won't sand it until the next summer or something like that or if i fall in love with it.
I want to get like 10 days on it before i decide anything. Then I would sell it at the end of the summer when i go back to school.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 5:58am
the day before that incident, I spent some time surfing the pier (over an hour) with a few locals I've actually seen around for years...no problems.  I've never really spoken to them, but we all gave each other respect and got good waves. We were kinda in sync to a certain extent, practically taking turns, it seemed (although this one really good guy who I know is sponsored by a bunch of surf companies was getting the best waves)

piers just brings out the worst in some people...and it's always guys who paddle out with a crew.  I don't know if they're just stupid, or have a superiority complex (or both), but they sure are assholes...just horrible people, in general

I had another pier episode a while back where these two guys (I had never seen before...or since) where just dropping in on everyone, no matter what.  I wasn't on my tuflite, didn't want to risk bumping boards and wasn't really in a confrontational mood, so I paddled down the beach to inferior conditions. 

of course, none of the hassles I deal with here is on the scale of a superior area like in-town santa cruz, but that's why it's so ridiculous here...it's usually not good or crowded enough here to warrant this type of behavior.  That's the ugly side of surfing...non-existent in snowboarding.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>