Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: best/most powder-
    Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 9:51am
It is way nice when that happens and you all get a long, it makes for a good day for surfing. I don't mine giving the sponsored people the better waves all that much b/c it is their job and they could take them if they wanted.
Up here we have streamer lane which is just like the pier. Good waves but always a lot of people and if you are going to see a fight it is a good chance it will be there. I think i have seen the whole Santa Cruz gang there before. It was funny when i was surfing in high school i never got into surf films really and there wasn't all the videos on the internet. Then I was watching old videos a few year ago and I was all i know that guy and him and him. So I had be surfing with pro and never knew it.
If i don't want to deal with people and that whole seen i go to Half Moon Bay (where Mavericks is) and most of those breaks are pretty empty but the waves aren't was well formed. I don't think i have ever seen a fight or anything close in half moon day. It is prob a step down from where you live which is nice.

That is so nice about snowboarding, you don't have to compete with other people for the most part ( I hear park city and places like that parks can seem a little like surfing.)   I love how as long as your not stupid snowboard people are really nice to each other. But I have never gotten the skiier/ snowboarder hating much.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 11:56am
Ying Yang we're so lucky we get to both snowboard and surf...and on such an epic scale

...you more than me, considering santa cruz has so many more good spots than my area and I'm guessing what you have access to in Idaho is probably better than my local hick-town resort (these days, I only get up to tahoe once a year)

just a post of appreciation, that's all

mixmasterjgt View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 12:28pm
Almost never have good powder in the northeast.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by mixmasterjgt

Almost never have good powder in the northeast.
...but your waves are good during hurricane swells. 

could be much worse:  if you lived in the midwest, you'de basically only get ice on small hills and zero surf
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 3:33pm
I love those people who come and just make a comment about powder we haven't been talking about that for a page. You think they would at least read the last few to see what people are talking about but nope.

I am super luck, I was in the library reading surfer and they had the top 10 surf towns and Santa Cruz was number one. I wish I was a bit closer b/c it is about 1 hour to 1 1/2 to drive there which isn't bad but not close enough to surf after work. Snowboard I don't think i could find a better spot for me. I snowboard the other side of Jackson Hole and we know that is epic there. So I get the same snow but it cost less and a lot less people but a lot smaller but big enough to not get board of it.
And there is a crappy little place which is only like 30 from me at school which is great for messing around with friends and teaching people they do night student tickets for $15 and you can't bet that.

But I have really enjoyed the times i have surfed Pismo beach area, i think i have been there like 2-3 times and both times there have been pretty good waves for summer and empty breaks.

The most important thing is doing it and not where you do it.

myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 9:08pm
Snowboard I don't think i could find a better spot for me. I snowboard the other side of Jackson Hole and we know that is epic there. So I get the same snow but it cost less and a lot less people but a lot smaller but big enough to not get board of it. 

Targhee?

I freakin love that place.

I'm here for the gangbang....
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 5:26am
I live 2 hours from pismo and 2 hours from my "local" ski resort.  I'll drive to and from the resort in one day, but I won't do that to surf...because surfing has so many more facets to deal with.  Niether one of them are the best venue, but I realize how lucky I am relative to most of the country

you can get really fun waves in pismo (despite it's poor reputation), even away from the pier - timing is basically the key.  Our sandbars work best on any windswell at about a 3 point tide (pier has a wider range), so you basically have to time your sessions to coincide with that...and, of course, coincide that with early morning or late evening to avoid the usual heavy mid-day onshore winds.  Big groundswells will just close the whole beach out here.

In other words, if a tourist sees pismo from the freeway (unfortunately, they can), and impulsively decides to stop and paddle out (unfortunately, they do), they're probably going to leave overall dissapointed
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Sinixstar

Snowboard I don't think i could find a better spot for me. I snowboard the other side of Jackson Hole and we know that is epic there. So I get the same snow but it cost less and a lot less people but a lot smaller but big enough to not get board of it. 

Targhee?

Yea it is. It is a great place. Did you know they was talk about building another lift, so they could open up more but i don't know if it is still happening with the down turn in economy. But the last few years they have raised the season pass price by like $100 which sucks.  It used to be a really good deal.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 4:46pm
No matter where you surf it is all about local knowledge and know how the different spots react to waves and the best place to find waves.

"In other words, if a tourist sees pismo from the freeway (unfortunately, they can), and impulsively decides to stop and paddle out (unfortunately, they do), they're probably going to leave overall dissapointed"

That is great less people the better. I love surfing with just one or two other people, so if there is a shark attack, it will happen to them not me. ha ha.

But that is nice you are in the middle of both. Here in CA I have to drive to tahoe which is about a 4-5 hour drive which sucks b/c it is kinda too far to do in a day.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Timmay_650

]
Originally posted by Sinixstar

Targhee?

Yea it is. It is a great place. Did you know they was talk about building another lift, so they could open up more but i don't know if it is still happening with the down turn in economy. But the last few years they have raised the season pass price by like $100 which sucks.  It used to be a really good deal.

I've only been there a couple times - back in Winter of '05 - right around Christmas. Place was utterly insane. Probably one of my favorite mtns I've been to. Jackson's pretty nuts too, but the snow and the vibe and better at Targhee I think.
New lift would be cool if it's accessing more terrain. I don't know the area that well, but I know just looking around there that whole are looks sick. Bet there's all sorts of stuff to get into.

I'm here for the gangbang....
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 4:44pm
so, it's official:  Timmay_650 is one of the most fortunate people on the planet

You may tell us some bad things about your life, so we don't feel so envious Wink
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 10:53pm
Ha ha Well i just got off work today at 12:30 am and I have to leave again at 6:15 am. I had to see what is happening first on SS then sleep.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 12:10pm
that did the trick - I don't feel so bad now. 

Just hope the job isn't as stressful as those hours
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 2:57pm
Nope the work isn't stressful at all. Well it matter who is the boss. But I sat there and watched Mexican work hard. (that isn't racists, it is what i did) So it is a pretty chill job and easy money.
Although most days aren't like that which is nice. A lot of days it is 6-4. Unless it is slow then it is surfing Ya. Or like 3 hours of work then surfing. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 6:39pm
you just triggered a little withdrawal with all that surfing talk.  I just got back and I'm ready to go again...unfortunately, I can't go until middle of July
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 7:30pm
Yea I know. I think I can only go saturdays for the next while but hopefully not. But I need to start planning a surf trip and try and find some one to go with. My problem is I have no one who can surf to go with but I have a few people who like surfing they just can't do it.
Neff Holden View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 5:29am
Vail gets some seriously epic powder but if you want to ride it you need to either live there or be extremely lucky.  it all gets tracked out in two or three days unless you know people who know where to take you.  i lived out there last season as a lifty and the powder was ridiculous somedays but the main area's were moguls in a couple days.
my powder board is a jib board
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 5:41am

]Yea I know. I think I can only go saturdays for the next while but hopefully not. But I need to start planning a surf trip and try and find some one to go with. My problem is I have no one who can surf to go with but I have a few people who like surfing they just can't do it.
it's ironic: we solo surfers want to surf with somebody, but then we paddle out at a decent spot and there usually ends up being too many people or some other BS

(I have a dislike for boogie-boarders and frequently burn them...sorry, but they have overwhelming advantages like wearing flippers and just laying there, etc.  I don't care if it sounds elitist, but they should either take leftovers like waves we stand-up surfers can't make or don't want...or, better yet, go get pounded on a close-out somewhere else)

You know surfing has to be good when we put up with the stuff we do.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 7:21am
don't get me wrong...I appreciate all of the surf talk.  Actually am jealous.  But start a new topic or start PM'ing each other as you have completely destroyed what the topic was meant for.
x_X
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:25am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

don't get me wrong...I appreciate all of the surf talk.  Actually am jealous.  But start a new topic or start PM'ing each other as you have completely destroyed what the topic was meant for.
that's the whole point...it's a dylanpipe thread.  High five! Clown

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:09am
but but.....I got nothing.
x_X
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:19am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

but but.....I got nothing.

pipe down little man
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:56am
its mighty mouse to you a$$hole
x_X
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 8:36pm
What we are doing is recycling but they good stuff like when they make a board or something like that, ha ha. High Five back Thumbs Up .

Oh yea burning boogie-boarders is what you do when you surf. But I don't like to run them over the blood and stuff just isn't worth it. And when they sit right where you need to drop, it makes me think about running them over.

And now I might have to work Saturday too. I hate money. I need to get my van and live down by the beach!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 6:46am
ahh, the old van by the beach fantasy...I see I'm not the only one
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 10:42pm
Yea I have to decide where I want to park it. Yea I keep telling people that is my plan after school when they ask.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 9:26am
a few years ago I drove down to socal (carlsbad) to pick up a board and spent a couple of nights in the back of my pickup shell

...it gets cold as hell at night even down there, and, on top of all the humidity that built up back there, it was pretty miserable.  Good thing I was really tired, but that style of camping isn't very good
south View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 9:51am
bariloche and las lenas in argentina get some huuuuge snowfalls a couple of times a year. check this article about a 10ft snowfall in 2006.
xX Burton Rid3r Xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 7:55am

im not very sure, but i think antarctica gets a decent amount of snowfall every year....................

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 8:16am
hey, hey, hey, quit hijacking our hijack 
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 8:19am
I went surfing on Saturday at San Onofre.  Twas very nice...nice warm beach weather and the waves were decent Big smile
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 8:30am
nice...although the thought of surfing in front of a nuclear power plant would freak me out.  Those big boob towers are intimidating even to drive by

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 8:34am
Originally posted by shop_39014

nice...although the thought of surfing in front of a nuclear power plant would freak me out.  Those big boob towers are intimidating even to drive by

haha.  Yeah it's always kinda weird while you're out there and you look and you see the nuclear power plant.  I haven't seen any mutated wildlife yet...so I think it's safe Tongue  

Although one guy I know was saying a great white hangs out around the nuclear power plant area all year long...that kinda scared me more than the thought of radiation poisoning.  
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 10:21am
Originally posted by xX Burton Rid3r Xx

im not very sure, but i think antarctica gets a decent amount of snowfall every year....................

antarctica is the driest continent.  not much snowfall.
x_X
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by hana24

haha.  Yeah it's always kinda weird while you're out there and you look and you see the nuclear power plant.  I haven't seen any mutated wildlife yet...so I think it's safe Tongue  

Although one guy I know was saying a great white hangs out around the nuclear power plant area all year long...that kinda scared me more than the thought of radiation poisoning.  

Does it put out warmer water or just happens to be by the beach. Yea I always laugh when i see them from the road.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 7:21pm

]

Does it put out warmer water or just happens to be by the beach. Yea I always laugh when i see them from the road.

I'm not sure if it does put out warmer water or not.  It would be interesting to know if it does.  It's kinda funny how it's there in the middle of a state park.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 6:55am
also funny how the camp pendleton marine base is just behind the nuclear power plant and bombs are going off and shaking the ground all day (I know, one of my surfing buddies lives in vista/oceanside)...california is so strange
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2009 at 2:27pm
A huge swell is coming in this weekend.  Most places are gonna get 5-8ft and the wedge might get 20ft Shocked
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2009 at 3:24pm
Oh nice, it looks like we are going to get some good waves too. I am excited.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2009 at 2:59am
Originally posted by scottlui

I've never been to Jackson Hole, but I hear it's legendary. Our POW in Washington is kind of wet and heavy, very similar to Tahoe. Utah has the fluffy stuff. 
Hit it on the head.  Tahoe snow (even new snow) is general pretty heavy since the resort elevations aren't that high, but if you're lucky you can get in on some excellent snow when the snow line falls.  I had some epic days at Sugar Bowl (during Bruizzapalooza), Sierra, and Squaw this past year.  Going into the trees and slightly off piste areas (no true backcountry), I found spots that easily would have put me up to my armpits or neck had I fallen.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
COrider95 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2009 at 6:29am
One day last season at Vail, we were riding in about  2 and 1/2 feet of pow on the backside of the mountain. Highlight of the season. Also have been to Jackson Hole with average amount of snow, but left right before a huge powder day Cry 
Scientists say because of global warming they expect the world's oceans to rise four and a half feet. The scientists say this can mean only one thing - Gary Coleman is going to drown.
forever11forum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 1:32pm
i wanna go to japan now
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 2:35pm

A huge swell is coming in this weekend.  Most places are gonna get 5-8ft and the wedge might get 20ft Shocked

Yea I went on Wednesday and again today on Friday and you could really tell a difference. It was so freaking packed out in Santa Cruz but I got some really fun waves. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Originally posted by scottlui

I've never been to Jackson Hole, but I hear it's legendary. Our POW in Washington is kind of wet and heavy, very similar to Tahoe. Utah has the fluffy stuff. 
Hit it on the head.  Tahoe snow (even new snow) is general pretty heavy since the resort elevations aren't that high, but if you're lucky you can get in on some excellent snow when the snow line falls.  I had some epic days at Sugar Bowl (during Bruizzapalooza), Sierra, and Squaw this past year.  Going into the trees and slightly off piste areas (no true backcountry), I found spots that easily would have put me up to my armpits or neck had I fallen.

im sure a lot of it is the lake... the places with super light stuff have super light stuff because it comes in over the land and all the moisture gets sucked out of it as it travels, and then it dumps dry snow.  with tahoe, a lot of the moisture probably comes from the lake, and if its not directly from there, the clouds that are passing over probably pick some of it up or something.  cali is also a coastal state, even if the resorts arent right on the ocean.

and its funny that you say the elevation isnt that high, cause my resort is 2600 at the peak, wheras the elevation of the base of lake tahoe is just over 4500 roughly.  but we are also a lot further north, so elevation isnt as important for getting a lot of snow.

my resort is on the coast, a very short distance from the open ocean relative to most places in the world (probably about 60 miles).. and its technically on douglas island, so its totally surrounded by water.  on the back side, you could ride down to the ocean (but it would be a bitch of a hike back up).. if youve seen most of my videos or posts from this season, youve seen the backside and the water down there.

we get snow just like the rest of the PNW and apparently tahoe as well, but we still get those light days in the heart of winter when its colder.

our lightest snow is still heavier than the light stuff in utah/etc.  i dont think i would like it there if it was that light all the time... i like the medium stuff where its not HEAVY but you can still push against it and get some power out of it, as opposed to blower that just goes everywhere and you fluff through it..

that real dry stuff also doesnt stick to terrain for shit.  if it werent for the moisture, even in our really "dry" snow, we wouldnt have nearly the amount of killer terrain we have.. that goes for  most of the PNW.
Keats0206 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 3:07pm
i went to park city last winter for about a week we got about 15 inches and then on chirstmas we got about two feet combined with gail force winds led to some super deep drifts.  I specifically remember moving to the side of a trail and just slashing through this 5 foot deep drift.  Only one lift was open and there were under 100 people on the mountain id say.  For about half a run there was a complete white out andi could only see white every direction i loooked but i knew the only thing i front of me was untouched pow.  probably the most fun ive ever had snowboarding.  plus i was riding with borther and cousin which is a rare opportunity and we just had soo much fun.  I wish i had demoed a fish or smthn for the trip cuz i was stuck riding my JJ 156 but it was so fun.  best day of my life so far.  only bummer of the trip was the they had just gotten most of their sno for the season so all the bowls were closed due to avalanche triggering but i have regrets.  I might need to move to park city at some point.  The canyons is super fun.  Natural halfpipes are soo sick haha.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 3:15pm
you want natural halfpipes, come here.  our gulleys are amazing.  long runs, hips, tree taps, halfpipe walls, shots through the trees, etc etc etc endless features, all natural.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 3:44pm
^^^I think we all want to come there Spencer 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 3:52pm
i have this theory about the PNW... if you didnt grow up riding here and riding this kind of terrain and snow, its not uncommon to not enjoy it when you first try it out.  but the people who have ridden here for years love it like no other, cause we know how to ride it and take advantage of it, and people from champaigne-pow-land are kinda lost.  ive seen this theory play its self out many times.

PNW dudes/dudettes will probably agree with this theory at least to a certain extent.

point being, when i really think about it, i get kinda worried that im stoking the desire for you guys to come too much without keeping that "theory" in mind.. i wouldnt want people to come and be like "what the hell, this sucks" or something.  plus, we all know how much PNW weather changes....

doubt it would happen though, cause theres always SOMETHING fun for everyone, and chances are i have nothing to worry about, but you never know.  and just the get-together would be fun on its own in the first place, so...

just something that crosses my mind once in a while...
Keats0206 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by spenser

you want natural halfpipes, come here.  our gulleys are amazing.  long runs, hips, tree taps, halfpipe walls, shots through the trees, etc etc etc endless features, all natural.

i would love to go there maybe for a week trip or somthing but a little far for me haha.  seems like you've got a great place to live with some sick guys and allot of snow.  id love to live somewhere that i could ride year round but right now im thinking more about college.  hopefully i can get some job in the industry because i love snowboarding and i wanna be succesfull while still having  a job that respects my need to take off on a pow day.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2009 at 7:48pm
not quite year round riding if thats what you were implying.  closest you get to that is a place like hood with all the camps.

but yeah, do what you love.  dont get into a job that YOU dont really like... whats the point in that?  its fully possible to make a living doing something you truly enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>