The Ofishal Fishing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ofishal Fishing Thread
    Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:44pm
i found a photo album from about 10 years ago from a fishing trip, so here comes the fishing thread.

found an album, snapped some shots of the photos.

1999 nordic tug trip

johnsons always come prepared...

my dad (left) and his twin brother shawn.  shawn lived in minnesota but moved up here shortly after this trip.

my grandpa lynn with a nice king, visiting from washington

back home with the catch.. cousin justin on the right, also from minnesota

BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:48pm
I would love to do some fishing in Alaska.
www.chargeharder.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:48pm
last summer, one of two 170 pound halibuts.  dad (left) and his two friends.

classic shot.  couple years ago, dad and his twin (left)

my dad with his first king ever in alaska, in his early 20s.  this was in his early fish & game days working at fish camps i think in kodiak maybe?

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

I would love to do some fishing in Alaska.

if you ever come up during the summer, we are all more than happy to take you out.  king, halibut, prawns, crab, beer, sun....

that goes for anyone, really.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:50pm
I need to make it to alaska in the winter first for some epic riding then I will head back in the summer for some epic fishing!!!
www.chargeharder.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 5:52pm
haha EPIC EPICNESS.  shyeah, if youre into snow and fishing, this is an awesome place to kill two birds (or fish/pow) with one stone (or lure/fish*)

*...............ohh snap, a fish joke.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

I need to make it to alaska in the winter first for some epic riding then I will head back in the summer for some epic fishing!!!

That is a good plan.
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dbowles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 7:46pm
I'm with bru. I would love to do some fishing up there. But first I need to get me a good sized marlin to put on my wall

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
CraigD View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote CraigD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 7:48pm
I fly fish 2 days a week in the summer. I actually keep a blog of my adventures

www.utahfishblog.com

Enjoy!

www.incaseyouhaventheard.com
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2009 at 9:35pm
oh man.. nice pics! i love fishing.. especially salmon fishing. gotta wake up at the asscrack of dawn to get out to where i like.. but its well worth it. nothing like fresh caught smoked salmon..
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 12:04pm
DAMN! those fish are HUGE!!!
ridesnowboarder View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2009 at 4:11pm
I love fishing.
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bite me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 8:04am
Now that Brody's finished with school and we won't be poor anymore, I'm going to try to get him up to Alaska for some fishing soon. 

For some reason, I don't have any photos of my fishing up there years ago, but I may have some of the bass fishing at my parents' place in WA.  I'll see if I can find some on the computers at home this evening. 

Gotta love fishing!  I can't wait to do more once we're back up in Washington again.

It doesn't compare to the AK fishing, but it's still fun and some mighty fine grub. 

My dad (left) and his 'lake place' neighbor with some bass tipping the scales at around 7 lbs.

Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Boogeyman24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 12:57pm
^damn jenn those are some huge bass.

i went fishing on the mississippi river for the first time today, didn't catch shit except a shtooking sheephead.  i think i'm cursed, catch one of those damn things every time i fish around here....
Say Shhhhhh...
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Quote lineears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 1:57pm
ooOooo
fishing sounds fun!!
but i don't think i've ever caught anything
Fishing ain't that popular in Vancouver unless your off to the islands.

Go Canucks!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by little ole me

It doesn't compare to the AK fishing, but it's still fun and some mighty fine grub. 

ak does have awesome fishing.. some of the best in the world, and our fishing industry is obviously tops on earth.  but as far as enjoying fishing, you can be anywhere.  honestly, the most FUN ive had fishing is when its just hanging out off the dock or something, catching little fish, because instead of trolling around for hours, getting a fish on every once in a while, its back to back to back every moment you put your line down.

one of the best times ive ever had was a fishing trip to the outer coast near sitka.  there was this spot a ways out of sitka where there were tons of rockfish.  easily 20 pounders every time, and you would get a new one on before you even got your line down again.  so much fun.. always having a fish on, and decent sized ones so its more of a fun challenge.

but its hard to beat catching one of those 170 pound halibuts, where it takes three full grown men to bring it in, with the beauty of alaska around you.
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bite me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by spenser

Originally posted by little ole me

ak does have awesome fishing.. some of the best in the world, and our fishing industry is obviously tops on earth.  but as far as enjoying fishing, you can be anywhere.  honestly, the most FUN ive had fishing is when its just hanging out off the dock or something, catching little fish, because instead of trolling around for hours, getting a fish on every once in a while, its back to back to back every moment you put your line down.

one of the best times ive ever had was a fishing trip to the outer coast near sitka.  there was this spot a ways out of sitka where there were tons of rockfish.  easily 20 pounders every time, and you would get a new one on before you even got your line down again.  so much fun.. always having a fish on, and decent sized ones so its more of a fun challenge.

but its hard to beat catching one of those 170 pound halibuts, where it takes three full grown men to bring it in, with the beauty of alaska around you.
Absolutely!!  Fishing in general is rad, but to have the opportunity of experiencing true Alaska fishing is amazing.  There's some good salmon fishing off the coast of Washington, but I still don't think it compares to Alaska's.  I did quite a bit of stream fishing when I was up outside of Craig, which I couldn't seem to get enough of, but the deep sea fishing was a lot of fun in such different ways (besides the fact that I get horribly sea sick!).

As you said though, being out fishing in general is fun.  I like going to areas that are off the beaten path, where you're just surrounded by nature and don't have everyone and their brother swimming or fishing five feet down the shore from you like you seem to get in many areas around here.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 2:39pm
thats kinda how it is here.  its hard to find a place with crowds, rather than it being hard to find a place WITHOUT them.

i need to go fishing soon, i havent been this year.  my dad got back from a two day trip yesterday and they got skunked for the first time ever.  ive heard the same from other people too.
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 4:09pm
That halibut is huge.  I didn't realize they got so big.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 4:19pm
apparently youve never seen the ones that are up toward 400 pounds.. theyre caught around here every once in a while.

both the 170 pounders my dad/friends caught were in this "secret" spot.. this long, extra deep flat spot that you get to through a series of straits and inlets and stuff or something like that.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 4:21pm
dont know how big this one is weight-wise, but its definitely bigger than the one in my picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_2HtU6oQ0
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local
Ready for the 2010 season!

Quote rocheezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 4:26pm
I'd be scared shitless if I saw a 170 lb fish. Let alone 400.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 4:29pm
they can break bones if they flop around on deck if you didnt at least knock them out first.  for a 400 pounder you would shoot it in the head though.. halibut fishermen have guns specifically for that.
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local
Ready for the 2010 season!

Quote rocheezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2009 at 4:37pm
that's intense.

But crabs and beer sound fun. Of course, living along the MD state line I could do that any time.
hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Quote hisnameisdre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 3:07am
i was just at the ocean and my brother caught a puffer fish fishing off the shore, it was pretty cool
dirtysouth View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
cuban in costa rica

Quote dirtysouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 7:15am
I love to fish.  I plan on partaking in on a little fly fishing here in Utah.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 8:08am
anyone know any good brand names for rods for freshwater fishing
my mom says im hardcore
Mattymo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
East Coast Rider

Quote Mattymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 8:12am
Cape Cod Status Report
Striped Bass are in
Mackerel are in.
Squid are in.
Bluefish are in/ almost in.
Can't wait for warm water tuna chasing!
http://www.protectourwinters.org
Metal Gear REX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Metal Gear REX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 8:55am
We used to go fishing in the Florida Everglades for bass and stuff but then we got tired of eating bass so we stopped. We never caught anything huge so no pics or anything.

But a couple years ago a friend of ours introduced us to crabbing. So now all we do is crab and sometimes fish. Sometimes we catch prawns, stingrays, eels and sharks too...

Here's a pic of the biggest prawn we caught.

And here the largest crab we've caught.

And yes, he tasted good... SO DAMN GOOD... MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 9:01am
whoa that prawn is a monster

i caught a crab that big it was having sex with another and i just nabbed em both with a net

is that evil?
my mom says im hardcore
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Metal Gear REX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 9:09am
lol...Awesome! We did that too. Maybe it's bad, but oh well it was a 2fer!
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 10:21am
Originally posted by djinhwan

Shimano, Berkley, Daiwa, Quantum, St. Croix, Bass Pro Shops, Browning, Abu Garcia, Mitchell, All star, G. Loomis...
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Metal Gear REX

We used to go fishing in the Florida Everglades for bass and stuff but then we got tired of eating bass so we stopped. We never caught anything huge so no pics or anything.

But a couple years ago a friend of ours introduced us to crabbing. So now all we do is crab and sometimes fish. Sometimes we catch prawns, stingrays, eels and sharks too...

Here's a pic of the biggest prawn we caught.

And here the largest crab we've caught.

And yes, he tasted good... SO DAMN GOOD... MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Those are HUGE!
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 11:02am
Dam those crabs are big. I really hate the taste of them though. When I was in maryland we ate a few crabs and they taste horrible. I also hate cracking them open and getting the food out Ouch
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Metal Gear REX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 11:38am
Originally posted by odoyale rules

Dam those crabs are big. I really hate the taste of them though. When I was in maryland we ate a few crabs and they taste horrible. I also hate cracking them open and getting the food out Ouch

Those pics are of the same crab. Just different angles. It was the biggest I've ever seen/eaten so we took a bunch of pics of it to prove that we did catch a crab that big. We caught about 10 crabs that night and most of them were pretty large compared to the crabs you buy at the store. But that one was the Hulk of them.

I guess not everyone likes the flavor of blue crab. I've been eating them since I can remember so they taste great to me. Plus my mom taught me an awesome recipe (Ginger & Scallion) how to cook them, but even just boiling them in beer or even just water is good to me.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 11:50am
^^^ In my family, it's all about Old Bay on the crabs.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Metal Gear REX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2009 at 12:06pm
Yeah that stuff is good too. I usually use that on shrimp and crayfish (crawfish?). I don't like using it for all sea foods though. The flavor is so strong that it makes everything taste the same.  The ginger and scallion recipe is actually a Chinese recipe with first, deep frying the crab and not just boiling water with ginger and scallions... Something different.
Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Boogeyman24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 9:34am
10 days and i'll be on a fishing trip in ontario!!!  getting pumped for it already!
Say Shhhhhh...
sully1742 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sully1742 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:07am
Originally posted by ridesnowboarder

Shimano, Berkley, Daiwa, Quantum, St. Croix, Bass Pro Shops, Browning, Abu Garcia, Mitchell, All star, G. Loomis...

Abu Garcia and Mitchell tend to make some flaky products.  I would avoid them.

I'm a diehard shimano guy for freshwater reels.  St. Croix for rods.
2009 Capita Stairmaster 156 - 2008 Burton Missions (White/Gold) - Thirty Two Lashed
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:17am
Originally posted by sully1742

Originally posted by ridesnowboarder

Abu Garcia and Mitchell tend to make some flaky products.  I would avoid them.

I'm a diehard shimano guy for freshwater reels.  St. Croix for rods.

Abu garcia is owned by pure fishing...the biggest fishing company there is
Lycantivis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me Boarding

Quote Lycantivis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2009 at 10:48am

not that its a huge fish but geting my pic with my group to the trout opener for fishing in a frozen lake in boats was way awesome
Travis Pastrana - was it soft? Roner - no dude it felt like a tree
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 5:40am
I cant wait to go fishing. Bass opens today I think!

Dunk View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 6:52am
Going small mouth bass fishing this weekend in north western Ontario, I've been looking forward to this for a week.
Day Riding: 15
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 8:04am
i haven't been fishing or hunting in ages.
Thinkin about gettin back into it. Probably start hunting first.
Was hoping to go after some Elk in eastern Nevada this year, but since moving to CA, that's become a little less of a possibility. Probably stick to deer here in CA for the time being.
I'm here for the gangbang....
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 11:43am
dang i need to start fishing again..

MD.. but no crabs... I cant catch blue crabs at all anymore..
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 7:51pm
my dad has been killing it on his trips lately. maxing out on kings.  tons of fish in our freezers now.

had some smoked king for the first time this summer the other day.. i always forget how amazing it is.  hes insanely good at making it... its lame when people say "you havent had ___ till youve tried mine" or something... but... seriously, you havent had smoked salmon till youve had my dads.

im kinda tipsy so i dont remember if i already said this, but theres an alaska native guy at my dads work (fish & game) who literally said my dads smoked salmon was "better than my people could make it."  so sick.

my favorite is battered halibut though.  mouth orgasm.
ridegnudude View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ridegnudude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 7:56pm
this thread really makes me want to go out fishing right now... but its 1 in the morning....Those king salmon are HUMONGOUS
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 8:06pm
thats normal size mang.

BIGGER IN ALASKA.

isnt that the name of the show? its true.

smeeeeeeear.... in.... off........
alaskankid13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 10:15pm
A fishing thread WHOA... already have 14 salmon in the freezer from this year.... got 33 last year..will post some pics once i remember the easy way to post them
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 10:59pm
hell yes, another AK dood.  good stuff.

sorry world, AK is where its at as far as fisheries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>