The Ofishal Fishing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 910111213>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ofishal Fishing Thread
    Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 10:17am
i want  to fish for KINGS!  then eat them.  everydamnday. 
MOAR powderz plz!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 4:02pm
from that 36", I gave away half, have eaten 1/4 over the last 3 days with 2 other people, and still have the last 1/4 which is 3 days worth for my girlfriend and I.  it was a lot of meat.  I'm sure I'll have another before I run out of this one.  it's soooooooo goooooood
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 9:05am
Freshly caught salmon meat...something I would never get to eat.  Cry  That amount of meat would probably last me like a month.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Freshly caught salmon meat...something I would never get to eat.  Cry  That amount of meat would probably last me like a month.  LOL

that's when u invite people over for a feast.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 12:38pm
I have to goto a convention in Hampton VA during the weekend. But there is a fishing pier 20 minutes away!!!!!!! 
Bringing my flounder, sheepshead, and baitfish gear. Maybe one more for big fish!
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 1:28pm
^That picture is great.  Would love to see my dog be that calm while fishing.

Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 5:38pm
Been poundin the salmon here Wisconsin out on Lake Michigan. I've been out there everyday this week trolling with spoons. One of the perks of living on Lake Michigan!
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Grinch

Been poundin the salmon here Wisconsin out on Lake Michigan. I've been out there everyday this week trolling with spoons. One of the perks of living on Lake Michigan!

Poundin the salmon... isn't that a euphemism for something...?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 5:50pm
yes, it's a euphemism for raping and killing a wild species out of its natural habitat, hah.
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by spenser

yes, it's a euphemism for raping and killing a wild species out of its natural habitat, hah.
Who says I was keepin them or killing them? I usually only keep one when I go so I have something for supper that night.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 6:37pm
haha, I was kidding.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2013 at 5:26pm
frustrated at the pier. people cant cast straight
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 6:56am
^I'll be there this weekend, and then again on Wednesday. I guess a lot of the regulars are planning parties out there for the last hurrah of the season. Should be a good time. Let me know if you can come out, Dude!
*I've also been known to pound the salmon, but usually when my wife is upset with me, or has a headache LOL
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 7:15am
Fishing is homosexual Everytime I go I get stuck with the hook atleast 2 times.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Snowboardr13

I think you're doing it wrong.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Snowboardr13

Yeah, you're definitely doing it wrong.

solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 2:32pm
I might be able to make it Wednesday. gotta new rod. not a beef stick tho. its. a sealine, lighter and better guides, but no innuendo.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 8:02am
Sweet. Shoot me a call or txt. I'll try to be there early in the morning. Last Saturday was crazy. The pier was wicked crowded. Athar and I caught 6 keepers each and got out of there. People were yelling at each other, so many lines were crossed. What size is your new rod?
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 12:54pm
I was at a pier near VA beach. packed like crazy.

One guy caught a 39" Cobia! That was very cool, very enthusiastic fisherman.

Family friend's two little girls fished for the first time ever. The younger one was able to drop the line, feel the bite, set the hook and reel it in! She caught flounder, sea bass, croaker, robins, oyster crackers and spot. Older one caught some too, but with assistance.
They were hooked, and wanted to go again that evening!

I, on the other hand didn't catch much of anything.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2013 at 3:29pm
got me a 9 footer. slings significantly better than my old 8' pinnacle. i just moved spots to avoid altercations last week. there was enough room but I definitely got to get the high vis line for next season really helpful. already ordered a spare spool from Penn.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 9:17am
DFG talking to someone for a long time. looks like someone's getting a fine
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 12:24pm
I instantly regret coming to this page!  How do we go from pictures of a dog on a boat to hooks in eyes?!?!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 12:36pm
dad and uncle took the relatives out on our standard coast trip for a few days.  they came back with 15 king salmon and a bunch of halibut.... stoked for more fishy meals to come.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 3:51pm
lost both my snares and came up empty. not what I had in mind for the end of the crabbing season. might force myself to go out one more time, but I highly doubt it
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 7:04pm
hah, my girlfriend sent me this picture of her dad's friend today, heading home after fishing.  this is how we do it in AK, I guess.

solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 7:35pm
haha, nice. I guess it's cold enough up there, you don't need a cooler
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 7:39pm
haha not on that short ride home.  he lives a couple miles down the road from me on this island, and I know the spot he was probably fishing at is only a couple miles away.  it was in the high 50s and cloudy/rainy today, so I'm sure the fish stayed nice and cool.

next project.... rig up a fishing rack on my bike.  I'll be "that guy" who everyone sees pedaling down the road in the rain with a fish strapped to my back, cooler in tow, and my gear all mounted up on my bike.  now if only I could figure out a way to tow my skiff with the bike...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2013 at 8:12pm
the cooler would be exclusively for beer, if anyone was wondering.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2013 at 8:27am
Spencer, love the salmon backpack! 
Solo- yesterday was pretty slow. Not the end to the season I was hoping for, but still a nice morning on the pier. It was great fishing with you for a bit! I think the guy DFG was talking to is in trouble. They don't stick around unless they're giving citations. Usually just check your bucket, then they move on after they see everything is legal.
*edit* I just figured out how to not underline everything. 
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2013 at 12:01pm
Headed up to glorious Mirror Lake and the surrounding mountain lakes for some trout fishing Saturday. Hopefully my 4 year old boy will land his first fish.  A little cutthroat should be the perfect size and fight for him, can't wait!

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2013 at 1:19pm
Digging the salmon backpack... 
Has he ever had a bald eagle land on his back while biking? If so.. that would be one hell of a tale. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2013 at 10:43pm
haha, doubt it.  eagles usually won't come that close to people.  that would be a hell of a photo, thought...
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 12:32am
I went trout fishing again. Once I figured out what bait to use, I was pulling one out every 3 mins while the guys next to me weren't getting nothing.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 1:48pm
@spenser Lmao that picture is funny but brilliant at the same time would never thought to make a fish backpack especially biking a couple of miles having that on your back,your gf's dad friend must be a cool dude to fish with.

@humblerooster what were you using as bait?
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2013 at 3:58pm
my buddy caught a sturgeon theother day. can't believe it was under sized.   that thing was huge.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2013 at 4:05pm
Went camping at Santa Barbara and went fishing at the pier but nothing huge was biting so got nothing but little fishes.  We weren't even able to net any crabs either, but someone else did but I saw them toss that sucker back in like a baseball.  LOL  The dude next to us pulled up a sting ray and gave it to my cousin so fishing wasn't all that of a bust.  LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 5:49am
weather was hot so what do we do? surf fishing! damn that Pacific Ocean is cold. here in the bay area at least.supposed to be bass season but caught nothing. but my feet feel smooth.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 9:19am
Surf fishing sounds interesting but wouldn't you have to toss your lure out reallyyyyyyyy far?  LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Surf fishing sounds interesting but wouldn't you have to toss your lure out reallyyyyyyyy far?  LOL

not really. you'll be surprised how close fish are to the shore.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 12:19pm
Went to a rec area (like a state park, but a different designation) only 10 minutes from my house for the first time last night.  You park basically on a cliff, then hike all he way down to the river from there (550 feet!).  My first time there, and it is really awe inspiring from the top.  you can see for hundreds of miles up and down the different valleys to the different ranges.

Threw my line in maybe 10 times and the damned thing bird nested TWICE.  got frustrated and hiked on out of there.

Anyone have any suggestions?  tention too tight? loose?  cheap rod/real/line too cheap?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 12:50pm
Don't use a bait caster reel?

I've used one once, besides the bird nesting it was cool. Different. Wasn't able to see the advantages of it though.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by VTBear

Don't use a bait caster reel?
I've used one once, besides the bird nesting it was cool. Different. Wasn't able to see the advantages of it though.

sounds like a bait caster reel to me. you have to keep a certain amount of pressure on the line with your thumb. learn by trial and error.

if you have a spinning reel then you might have old line, line spooled loosely or incorrectly or all 3.change your line at least once a year. but it depends how often you use it.

bait casters will out cast spinning reels cuz of less friction around the guides.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 4:04am
Oh, did not know that bait casters out cast spinning reels.

I was on a head boat, and the rods and reels they had had bait caster reels on them. We were just dropping them down. no casting involved.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 8:50am
there's probably more performance differences, but this its the main one that I know of. it takes time to learn how to use one correctly. never used one cuz I don't know off I have the patience to learn. for now I'll stick to the user friendly spinning reels
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by solocreep

not really. you'll be surprised how close fish are to the shore.

Really?  Maybe I'll try that next time when I go to Santa Barbara again for camping.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 10:12am
People say bait casting reels have better control because they are designed to have the spool perpendicular to the rod, as opposed to spinning reels where the spool is parallel to the rod. This allows the line to come out straight, instead of being pulled to one side of the spool. I'm with solocreep. Spinning reels work great and I don't fish for much sportfish, so they do just fine for me.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 12:19pm
Yeah, i have a cheap spinner.  It came pre-spooled with most likely cheap line.  that's a bummer that i probably should get it re-spooled, but less of a bummer than not being able to fish!

thanks guys!
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 1:30pm
if you have a good local bait and tackle shop, I recommend consulting them. they should be more knowledgeable
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2013 at 7:40pm
solo you live in the sf bay area? we should get together and go surf fishing some time, I picked up a 15 ft surf rod little while ago only used it twice. 

solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2013 at 4:00pm
I live on the peninsula. but before I go again, I really need waders.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>