The Ofishal Fishing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 10111213>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ofishal Fishing Thread
    Posted: Jul/05/2013 at 5:55pm
finished the little windshield dash console on my skiff, made of scrap wood and an aftermarket windshield I found online.. turned out pretty good.  I think I'm still going to build a drawer to fill the space below the radio, but it's a little storage spot either way.

sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2013 at 10:47am
^ Very nice... where are the beer holders?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2013 at 12:19pm
haha, still coming.  I had one attached to the metal console last fall, but the clips were cheap and they broke after winter freezing.  I need to get the pin out of the attachment part and then I can stick a screw through it so it won't break off.  planning to put one on driver's left side hanging off the console, and I should probably get another.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2013 at 5:40pm
hey solo I was just thinking about it are you sure wearing regular waders in the surf would be a good idea I know they can be really bad in a river if you slip and they fill up with water. I was thinking getting a super cheap used wet suit and cutting the upper half off might be safer, and cheaper. 

solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2013 at 4:58am
I'm not sure if wetsuits keeps your feet warm. I've seen people with waders and sandals instead of the heavy boots. I only plan on going knee deep anyway.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2013 at 10:19am
you get the wet suit booties to keep your feet warm. the issue with waders is that since the top is so open they fill up with water almost instantly if you fall. 

solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2013 at 4:44pm
looks like I have to do more research.smh
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 12:22pm
Finally was able to catch me some flounder. No keepers but still fun! 
Caught 5 flounder and numerous seabass.
Of course this was off a head boat. So I still have to try and catch one off a pier or shore.

solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2013 at 12:56pm
haven't gone fishing this whole month. itching to go back out.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2013 at 1:13pm
I've been missing the water as well.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2013 at 1:16pm
I want to get down to the ocean and do some fishing soon, might do some large mouth bass fishing on tuesday, and salmon will be running soon which I'm pretty excited about need to get a proper rod for that though since I just have my 15ft surf pole and a lighter spinning setup. 
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 4:04am
fishing on light gear is a blast! Luckily I didn't catch anything big enough to break the line. lol
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 9:01am
I've never actually caught a fish yet but if I did, I would want it to be a salmon.  LOL  Went to Santa Barbara to fish at the pier but it wasn't biting much apparently, but someone caught a sting ray and gave it to us again.  LOL  They were using cat food as a lure to attract the fish, they said it's the best bait.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 11:32am
People use cat food in crab pots, too. I guess it's good bait. Who would've thought?
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 4:13pm
I heard it has to be fish based cat food.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2013 at 5:49pm
cat food (old cat food to be precise) is one of three ingredients we use for king/dungee crab bait in our pots.  can of catfood, cracked open, handful of crab bait pellets, and then a whole salmon head.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 9:17am
Can you reuse the can?  It would certainly be stinkier.  LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2013 at 10:51am
some use a chum bag or an old sock. depending on the person, that could really stink
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 6:46am
my 10 yr old niece caught a nice large mouth bass in a tiny pond in our residential development on a Barbie pole.   Probably a 5 pounder. Amazed that size fish was in there.   
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by sixpoint

my 10 yr old niece caught a nice large mouth bass in a tiny pond in our residential development on a Barbie pole.   Probably a 5 pounder. Amazed that size fish was in there.   
OOOH so jelly, she must've been so excited to catch that bad boy... catch and release?
any pics?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 1:29am
went fishing for a few days over the weekend with my dad and girlfriend.  set out in the evening for hawk inlet where we set shrimp pots, which we pulled in the morning and had a small but decent haul, and then set the pots again.  left and headed to tenakee, but went coho and halibut fishing on the way.... and then we went toward tenakee, set crab pots on the way, and settled in for the second night.  picked the pots in the morning and had a few nice dungies, and then left there and headed to hoonah where my brother is working.  after that, headed back to hawk inlet to pick our second string, and ended up with a better catch with a lot of fat spot prawns.  that was it for the trip and we headed home.  before we went back to our house, we had a feast at my dad's with a big bucket of prawns for appetizers, followed by delicious dungy crab dunked in butter.

the rest of the photos I took are here, but I'll post some favorites

http://aklivin.blogspot.com/2013/08/hawks-hoonahs-and-tenakees.html

boats in for the night.  the same custom-boat guy that built our boat in 1989 also built our friend's boat 17 years later.  small world...

we caught a bunch of small halibut, but nothing mega unfortunately.

pretty coho

gutting

prawns

diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 8:07am
Nice Spenser, looks like its already getting cold up in AK
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 9:57am
wow close up of that shrimp, looks huge!
how do you catch em anyways? toss in a net/bucket and scoop em in?

That i would say is a successful day!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 10:27am
wow.... I would probably have to pay $200+ at a restaurant.
Fresh too!!!!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 11:57am
That up close shot of the shrimp made it look all scary like an alien.  LOL
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2013 at 12:27pm
haha, yep, the boat costs pay for themselves with all the seafood we get.

shrimp are caught in special shrimp pots with "doors" that funnel into the pot like a cone and have an opening that the shrimp can get into, but can't get out of.  there's an enclosed column in the center of the pot where you put the bait, which is pretty similar to crab bait.  cat food, salmon head, other guts, and special bait pellets.  you also usually do a string of pots on one line when it comes to shrimp, whereas crab pots are usually separate with their own lines and buoy for each pot.

as for the weather, it was probably in the 50s most of the time, which is typical for summer when it's not sunny.  just a few days ago it was in the 70s, which is warm for us.  but yeah, fall is just around the corner..
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 2:23pm
Spenser- what do you think about the Deadliest Catch? do you pretend you are on a crab boat? I know I would!!! lol

One of these days I'll go up and catch some halibut!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2013 at 2:59pm
it's a great show that has kinda shifted from raw awesomeness to made-for-TV-drama, but it's still a favorite, and it's close to home.  we don't pretend we're doing that, because we're not doing that, so it would be pointless, haha.  the bering sea is a whole different ballgame than what we do around here. the raw power of the ocean and intensity of the weather can't be captured in any other way than being there yourself.  I think most people don't realize that, which is why you see new guys on the show, thinking they have what it takes, but they go home after the first trip.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 10:50am
I love watching Deadliest Catch, awesome show but the dangers is no joke.  
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 10:49am
Those dudes are nuts. It seems to pay well, but the guys get battered. They also seem to age a decade between seasons. Fish where you're at, Spencer. By your pics, you guys are doing amazing.

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2013 at 11:00am
It also depends on what you're fishing too aside from where you're fishing because my relatives in Massachusetts have it easy over there catching abalone or something but they make like 20k a week each during the season.  
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 2:12pm
Wicked Tuna? 

love that show too. except the two boats that never seem to catch much. makes me sad.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 3:02pm
That's why they're bound to be replaced by newcomers.  LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2013 at 6:04pm
caught a little leopard shark and sting ray.also lost some hooks. I'm guessing a shark bit thru my line. oh well if you ever catch a shark with a lip pierced, I probably did it.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2013 at 2:38pm
I'm going fishing~~~~~

Too bad I didn't plan it out earlier. There are no rooms available.

So, should I go fishing for spot, croaker, blue fish, trout, flounder?
Or should I go for puppy drum, sheepshead and maybe a flounder?
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 7:42pm
Went fishing the past weekend!
Finally caught some decent sized fish! 1-2 lbs smallmouth bass, man they had some fight in them.. had a bigger fish probably closer to 5lbs..got it close into the boat.. friend got the line and it snapped! we lost 3 good sized fishes due to the line snapping.. 2 snapped the 3rd i think the hook came out cause buddy didn't keep the tension on the line.
oh but it was so much fun, haven't had a time fishing like that in a really long while.
too bad I didn't take pictures, lol too busy fishing!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2013 at 2:44pm
Went fishing. Caught a few flounder, no keepers though, some spot and croaker. Not as much action this time. We had to use fishbite bloodworms, actual bloodworms, squid, shrimp and cut spot.

Exciting to catch flounder using gulp and a bucktail!
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 5:25pm
feels like crabbing season is just around the corner. November 2 I believe???
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2013 at 4:23am
I was hoping to go fishing on my vacay since Isaw a bunch of lakes, but this one guy Iaasked said there's not much fishing here cuz of the gators.oh well.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2013 at 8:05pm
just became a boat owner today, pretty stoked 14 ft fiberglass tri hull with an old 40 horse evenrude and trailer for 800$ just need to get a battery and I'm set I'll post some pics tomorrow. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 1:35pm
nice dude!  as long as the hull is solid and the outboard runs decently well, that's a nice little deal.  enjoy!
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 7:14pm
hella jealous of boat owners.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2013 at 9:28pm
well can't figure out how to post pics now with the lame server. 
Solo if you want to meet up and fish the delta sometime let me know, I'll bring the boat you can help out with launch fees and gas. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2013 at 9:02pm
not fishing, but we got out on my skiff for what was probably the last time of the year, just to putt around for the sake of being on the water.  went from south douglas harbor, where jeremy used to live, to aurora harbor up & across the channel a little ways, where he lives now.  brought my boat up to his boat so we could go in my boat away from his boat in a boat.  boats.

jerms driving in front of downtown juneau

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2013 at 3:51pm
Grats on your new boat Vincente!  Good thing you can fit that boat on a trailer otherwise the docking fee is a pain.  
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 5:04pm
feels like its too cold and windy to fish lately.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 9:29pm
Took my boat out for a day on the delta had a few technical difficulties but she rode great and ran pretty well as a whole. 

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 10:22pm
nice dude, stoked for you!  let's see some pictures of your rig
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 10:27pm
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2013 at 10:31pm
that's it she's pretty old boats from the 70's and the motor is 60's but I'm not complaining. 
I need to fix the remote's for the throttle and the shifter for forward neutral and reverse and put a new trolling motor mount on it but that's about it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>