The Ofishal Fishing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scottlui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scottlui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ofishal Fishing Thread
    Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by spenser

thats normal size mang.

BIGGER IN ALASKA.

isnt that the name of the show? its true.

smeeeeeeear.... in.... off........

What kind of crabs do you get up there? besides king.. That's what they get on Deadliest Catch, yeah? crabbing opens down here in a week, i hope to get a couple dungenesseses.. 2 or 3 will do. I'm not greedy. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 11:15pm
they do kings and opelio on deadliest catch, im pretty sure.  im drunk so pardon me if i dont know what im talking about, haha.

opelio seems to be the winter crabs, and kings are more summery or whatever.

as far as i can use my brain right now.. kings are the big one, and then dungeness (spelling?) are the other main one.  both are really good, though different.  its like how king salmon and halibut are both super good, but different obviously.

i really love alaska.  seafood is great.. i mean, as far as that goes, im mostly just into fish.  ill eat crab but not a ton.. i dont know why.  and prawns, those are really good, but i dont eat them for some reason.  i should though.

blah balhkasdjfhksjdgkjdhjkdfgdfg

deadliest catch is so awesome though.  you see other "reality" shows and you know theyre all manufactured and stupid, but honestly, deadliest catch is reality.  its actually way MORE intense if youre actually there.. so nuts.  ive been in the open ocean up here, and it was crazy enough.  imagine being in the bering sea in the dark in howling winter storms.  it really is sooo nuts.

anyway... im drunk. sorry.  alaska. its good stuff.  you guys should visit and well have good times.  fishing, snowboarding, nature, etc.
hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Quote hisnameisdre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 1:59am
This fishing season has been sucking for me....I've only caught one fish all year so far, I haven't gone that much this year, but it still sucks.
ridesnowboarder View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 5:16am
I haven't bass fished much, but I've pier fished a ton.

Just got my bait cast net stuck on a rock a few days ago Angry
alaskankid13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 11:34pm
ahhh this is making me want to go fishing so bad they are catching fish everywhere right now its insane.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2009 at 11:44pm
(had more to say)  spenser has much more access to ocean fishing as i do more river fishing, but go out into the gulf of alaska and catch rockfish, halibut, slamon, lingcod, etc. its just about all there plus in PWS a lot of the places are virtual untouched by anyone. Up here in southcenteral alska there are more crowds but i manage to get away from them and seem to catch more fish amazing what a bit of exploring does for you.  Just on the kenai penisula i can catch just about every kind of fish in alaska except a few. Alaska is an amazing place really doesnt matter where you are, but there is one draw back if you are on land there is a bear or 2 make it more fun had to keep chasing off a black bear lask fishing trip that was pretty cool.  So far this summer this summer I've seen 17 bears.   On my profile you can see the picture of a lake trout i caught while moose hunting it was 26 inches, but never did get a picture of the 32 incher i caught which sucks...idk about any of you but it goes snowboarding/hunting in the winter, hunting/fishing in the spring, fishing in the summer, lots of hunting in the fall, then repeat.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:00am

hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Quote hisnameisdre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 2:13am
I'm actually about to go fishing in a couple hours, hopefully I break my horrible luck this year
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 5:22am
Im waiting for Lake MI to drop in temp, then its gonna be some goooooddd pier fishing
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2009 at 11:19pm
anyone got any recent pictures of their last fishin trip. heading out to catch as many salmon as possible tommorow just looking to see what people are catching where you are.
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2009 at 7:50am
I bought a new casting net today... got a really good deal on it!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2009 at 1:35pm
they just got back from a four day trip to the sitka area.. one of the kings and a couple dungees.  king is about 36" and something like 25 pounds or so.  nothing special for a king, but a nice fish.

notice the bite mark on its back?  yeah.. a sea lion tried taking the fish off the line.  not really that uncommon, actually.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2009 at 7:54pm
dang spencer you always gotta beat me at this...you have a boat no fair. heading out in a couple of minutes to the kenai/russian for reds and rainbows. will be back tuesday night late or wednesday. will try to get pictures of this trip
Instructor
Instructor
Signal Park Rocker

Quote ridesnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2009 at 5:22am
Haha, that is crazy.  Ive never fished in alaska,  so Ive never experienced the sea lion thing
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 8:27pm

Awsome time caught my six fish in an hour or two...caught this one behind everyone else standing out in the riverBig smile

maco View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cant wait for the season to start

Quote maco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2009 at 10:37pm
Wow im so envious you guys get to go Salmon fishing my grandpa went to AK for years to go salmon fishing. Iv never gone myself but iv always wanted to AK. lol who dosnt LOL. I love going fly fishing for trout though :)
Capiiittaaaaaa .... Jesus that word fun to say
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 2:02am
Metal Gear thats the largest blue crabs I had ever seen.  I wish we can catch them here in California, but none are here.  We do have dunginess, rock, and red crabs which are ok but blue crabs has flavor.
megabitch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote megabitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 1:16pm
Brody and I went out fishing up on the Strait of Juan de Fuca (northern tip of the Washington peninsula just south of Vancouver Island, BC) with my dad and my brother yesterday.  Wilds opened yesterday, so it was ridiculously busy, but such a fun time!    Here are a few of the Cohos we caught and kept. 

Brody trying to cheat the eye and make it look bigger than it was, but it was still about 7 pounds:

My 11 pounder (I love the angle of the horizon on this one.... haha)

One that my brother caught: 

Keats0206 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Keats0206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 1:26pm
entered a bluefishing tourney for fun.  we didnt catch anything.  winning fish was 11lbs i think.  good times though.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 1:59pm
those fish look like theyd be about twice as heavy as you said they were.  nice looking.

Ps. Im a really good catch.... ladies Wink
sullyj42 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sullyj42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 2:43pm
that thing is massive here are a few of mine my dad sells stripe bass   He wants to go to AK to fish for those things 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 4:25pm
Just a little King I caught back in July...My Burton jacket also works awsome for the summer months up here and for fishing
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 4:29pm
But fishing is over for the most part for the year so this is what im after now...A big bull moose up in the mountains behind my house
Dunk View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 4:51pm
^^^^^^

Oh that moose looks nice, I hope next year to go out for one.

I've got the next few days off work so I'm going to get some trout fishing in.  I've been itching to get a nice one mounted and on my wall, hope I'm able to get it done.
Day Riding: 15
balles25 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote balles25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 4:57pm
god damn I miss AK fishing.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote alaskankid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 5:32pm
Ive already gone moose hunting this year got nothing... Didn't really try to hard but saw 26 moose only 2 bulls 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 4:30pm
first fishing trip of the year, may 28-30. took the seraphina out to the outer coast for king fishing, with my dad, his twin brother/our uncle, and my brother. went through cross sound to the coast outside deer harbor, fished that evening, caught one king salmon, and anchored in deer harbor for the night. we were headed out by 5:30am the next day for fishing right outside again. we fished for about 7 hours and it was sloooow.. got a few bites and caught two kings, finally. wind picked up and seas rolled in and it was pretty choppy by the time we left around 12 or so. headed down the coast through the thick weather and rough-ish seas to lisianski inlet, where the sun came out, and we grilled steaks for a late lunch at the bohemia shelter. after napping for a few hours we headed toward the tiny trawling town of pelican and fished for a bit in the inlet, and then headed in to the harbor. the next morning we were headed out by 5am to the coast again to hopefully catch at least one more fish before heading home. luckily it was perfect fishing weather.. grey, big swells rolling by, and the bite was on. we slammed 5 kings in 2 hours and were stoked to say the least. on our way home (a 4-5 hour ride for the seraphina) we stopped in elfin cove for breakfast, but the place wasnt open till 11 and it was only 9:30, so we took off.

may 28, leaving auke bay

easy loungin

a few hours later, the entrance to cross sound and the open ocean

dad, evening fishing

calm as can be

first fish of the evening

sun going down

no land forever

a bad sign.. the sea lion cam back, that comes every time...

heading to deer harbor for the night

literally what it looked like. i did not enhance this photo.

i slept on the roof of the boat, and this was my view from deer harbor, looking out on the ocean.

the first and only fish from the evening

may 29, leaving deer harbor for fishing at 5:30 am... sea otter having breakfast

first king of the day

mean looking lingcod, caught by shawn

it was a monster! about 4 feet long.. uncle shawn could hardly hold it up

later that day after 7 hours of fishing and driving through rough seas and thick weather, we made it to lisianski inlet, where the waters are never rough

bohemia shelter dock, middle of nowhere

the public shelter

almost dinner time

steak!

so good

nap time.. what a place to sleep

later on after a little more fishing, we made it to pelican, a tiny town in the middle of nowhere built on trolling

the seraphina

the boys heading up to town

built on a boardwalk..

dinner. ham sandwiches with shoestring potatoes. actually reeeeeally good.

may 30, heading out early for more fishing

fog in the inlet

first king of the day, caught by me

after reaching our limit of 8 kings, we took off

stopped by elfin cove. beautiful tiny little town.

8 kings and a giant lingcod

troller

sea lions

headed home

310 horses, 27 knots, and 10 gallons and hour in the grip of a hand

four hours later, back in auke bay.

tigerclaw View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the apex...

Quote tigerclaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 4:56pm
does anyone here do deep sea fishing? my brother has recently got into that, and crabbing, and he loves it. is it really that worthwhile?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 5:00pm
is it worth it to YOU?  like..... halibut fishing isnt worth it unless you enjoy it and want halibut.  so would you enjoy deep sea fishing or crabbing and do you want the fish or crab that youd be getting?  if so, yes its worth it.  if not, no.
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Quote Boneseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 6:22pm
My dad's friend went to AK and caught a ton of fish.  I'm with Bru, I'd love to go for the snow and the fishing!
Just call me Dan
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 6:36pm
I only went fishing once but never caught anything.  My brother just bought a 38 ft boat so maybe I will get a chance to finally catch a fish or even a shark!  Or not.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
skidynastar33 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote skidynastar33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2010 at 6:43am
if this doesnt get you motivated to get out on the water i dont know what does, i got about one month till it starts to get good in puget sound and the coast!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2010 at 1:11pm
this was taken by a friends boat... that would be the open ocean behind us.  i think it was when we pulled our lines to turn around and start the beginning of our trolling spot again.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 11:55pm

video from that last trip... just a bunch of random crap most of the clips are pretty condensed, i just had a bunch of them. its about 10 minutes so if youre bored and have the time......

theres actually some pretty cool naturey/sea life stuff, and you get to see more of the fish we caught, and lots of the ocean. most of the time it was super smooth, especially the first day and first half of the second, but theres a bit of footage from a rough period too. doesnt do it justice, and it wasnt even unusual seas, but still.

eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 12:09am
i always wanted to go fishing in AK, salmon and halibut, but remember we have big fish here too, mahi,stripers,blues,tuna,marlin,sharks,red fish,speckled trout,flounder,etc., etc...so as fisheries go (until the oil gets here) the east coast is the way to go.
sparklyowindex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sparklyowindex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 12:48am
I want to try deep sea fishing one day. it looks pretty awesome!
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Quote SVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 1:06am
Originally posted by spenser

apparently youve never seen the ones that are up toward 400 pounds.. theyre caught around here every once in a while.

both the 170 pounders my dad/friends caught were in this "secret" spot.. this long, extra deep flat spot that you get to through a series of straits and inlets and stuff or something like that.

hey, that is really awesome - halibuts. It is huge even 170lbs.  I wonder now they get it out of water. 
What other stuff you normally go fishing for in Alaska, most popular?
We are is what we think
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 2:49am
anyone knows the places to fish in Toronto other that lake ontario? and specific locations with street names? l went 2x with my friend to a crappy pondish place and got nothing, both times
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

i always wanted to go fishing in AK, salmon and halibut, but remember we have big fish here too, mahi,stripers,blues,tuna,marlin,sharks,red fish,speckled trout,flounder,etc., etc...so as fisheries go (until the oil gets here) the east coast is the way to go.
both sides are very large fisheries, but for different fish as you said.  you cant beat the east coast for certain things, but you cant beat the AK area for other certain things.

Originally posted by SVS

hey, that is really awesome - halibuts. It is huge even 170lbs.  I wonder now they get it out of water. 
What other stuff you normally go fishing for in Alaska, most popular?
im no professional, but as far as i know, halibut rods are shorter and thicker, with stronger line of course.  its definitely a different fight and takes longer.  it took all three adults on the boat to get those 170 pounders out of the water once they got it to the boat.

for casual fishing, im pretty sure general salmon are most popular.  king, coho, pink, etc.  at least around here in southeast alaska, its all about king salmon for the most part.
Digitalism View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Digitalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 10:48am
North Oregon, Summer.
Best fishing I've ever done.
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kingman756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 11:46am
im about to go in 10 minutes. hopefully i catch me a river monster
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote BVoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 3:51pm
I mostly go deep sea fishing but some lake fishing too, these were taken on my phone so the quality might not be that good.

the sunrise after a night of fishing (ocean)

sunset on the river
badgers1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote badgers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 6:17pm
pretty awesome pictures
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Quote Boneseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 9:07pm
I think I'm going to drop a line in the little pond thing behind my house Monday (gone most of the day tomorrow and if I got smelly before the festivities...Dead) So hopefully Monday.  Florida has some of the best fishing there is.
Just call me Dan
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 3:55am
great thread.. great pics.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 4:27am
It seems like everyone's fishing experience has beat the hell out of the one terrible time I've ever been out. It seriously tainted fishing for me, but after seeing all these pictures and reading these stories, maybe it's time I try again.
leadfootedfool View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote leadfootedfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 6:58pm
You crazy westerners and your silly fishes.  I'll have to dig up some FL fishing pics.

PS - spenser, your trip looks epic!!
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote BVoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by leadfootedfool

You crazy westerners and your silly fishes.  I'll have to dig up some FL fishing pics.
PS - spenser, your trip looks epic!!

I've never tried AK fishing but I have tried FL fishing on vacation, I caught a 2ft hammerhead.
John-John View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lake Run

Quote John-John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 3:23pm
i live in truckee and we eat trout from donner and its bomb
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 10:58pm
made salmon dip using my friends skills that she learned while working at a fishery a few years ago.. made with the kings i caught on the outer coast.

SO GOOD I CANT EVEN BELIEVE IT.  the store bought stuff is made with locally caught fish (not king) and its great, but every time i have some of this home made dip i never want to stop eating it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>