The Ofishal Fishing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ofishal Fishing Thread
    Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 4:32am
too bad you're putting it on crappy town house crakers, next time get some good fresh baguettes, slice em thin and toast em under the broiler, spread your salmon on it and and some fresh chives or wild ramps...mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dongypro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 4:35am
in the states, do you get those atlantic salmon (the ones they use on sushi)? because in Australia, the salmon is CRAP :( 
Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dave Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 6:12am
Originally posted by dongypro

in the states, do you get those atlantic salmon (the ones they use on sushi)? because in Australia, the salmon is CRAP :( 

Nowadays most commercially purchased Atlantic Salmon is farm raised in off-shore pens making for a fat, flavorless, Salmon and enviornmental risks. I can't imagine you're getting a whole lot of top-notch wild caught salmon over there unless it's been flash frozen. The good news is if the fresh fish was properly flash frozen and you thaw it yourself in your fridge the quality is rather good.

Don't buy pre-thawed previously frozen fish... Bad times!
When in doubt eat trout.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dave Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 6:50am
I dug through some pics so I could make a small contribution. I'm a notoriously bad fisherman and have been for my whole life. Most of it is impatients, a little bad technique, but mostly my unwillingness to get out on the sand any earlier than noon.

A sunny summer day @ Huntington Beach, CA w/my son

California Halibut

Cali-Hali is a lot smaller than the Pacific Halibut that posted earlier in the thread. Price catches from the surf for Cali-Hali are usually in the 22"+ range. Mine was super small @ about 10" thus making my fish the smallest in this thread!
When in doubt eat trout.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 6:54am
^ that cali halibut is one ugly fish :D
ive been fishing once. it was funny, cause i would catch and release, and it seemed like i was catching the same fish over and over for about an hour. haven been legit fishing yet (that was at a pond) cause of the lack of motivation tow ake up like at 4 to go catch some fish :D
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote pyrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 12:30pm
that cali-hali doesn't look appetizing. how does it taste?
benc1982 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote benc1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 6:20pm
Dolphin fish i caught in Fiji last year.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by eldolocal68

too bad you're putting it on crappy town house crakers, next time get some good fresh baguettes, slice em thin and toast em under the broiler, spread your salmon on it and and some fresh chives or wild ramps...mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
this is america, its called bread

i thought the crackers were great.  i dont really like salmon dip on anything but crackers anyway.
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 11:29pm
that is an awesome mahi-mahi, here's a large-mouth i took after dinner last night from my brother's pond.
casE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote casE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 11:40pm
oh man i haven't been fishing in yrs, all these awesome pics got itchen for some bass actionSmile
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2010 at 3:56pm
time to go catch some taugtoc
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2010 at 5:34pm
Two smallmouth I caught a few weeks ago on a pond in central VT.

pindy_powpow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pindy_powpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2010 at 9:17pm
Lippin' Lunkers' is my favorite passed time besides the constant search for bigger lines and more powder!  Those BLUE crabs are crazy colors man!  Ooh and nice dirty smallmouth!! you must have been shore fishin...they call those bronzebacks where I come from!
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 3:09am
Originally posted by pindy_powpow

Lippin' Lunkers' is my favorite passed time besides the constant search for bigger lines and more powder!  Those BLUE crabs are crazy colors man!  Ooh and nice dirty smallmouth!! you must have been shore fishin...they call those bronzebacks where I come from!

Exactly, I was standing on a boulder just off of shore.  There was a mayfly hatch just before sunset so I decided to leave the boat in and throw a jitterbug from the shore, I caught both within about 20 minutes of each other.  The first pic sucks but I needed to shrink it in order to get it to upload, that one is substantially larger than the second one and left the water at least 6 times.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dave Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:16am
Originally posted by pyrotechnics

Tastes just about the same as Pacific Halibut. It's one of our most prized surf catches out here and more often than not become fish tacos.
When in doubt eat trout.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:27am
I've always wanted to try fly fishing but really know nothing about it. Is it hard? Expensive? What kind of waters can i do it in?
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 3:59am
fly fishing can be hard and expensive, jus like most things in life. i would recommend taking some instruction, and look on CL for gear, because good gear is outrageously expensive.
punitallstar3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sunglass display i made at work

Quote punitallstar3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 4:11am
Fly fishing is my favorite type of fishing!  i've been doing it now for about 6 years.  your rod/reel setup will depend upon what types of fish you are going for.  if you take good care of your equipment, it can last a long time.  And if you are just starting out, you should not go out and buy some $1500 combo from like ORVIS or anything.  you can find setup's at places like walmart for around $40-50.   If you break a $40 pole your first week, you wont feel as bad as if you broke a $1500 one.  my first pole was a CORTLAND and it lasted me about 2 years until i upgraded to a better and longer pole.
"well the bugs are bitting and the fish are too, so we've gone off to try to catch a few, some bass some trout, some walleyed pike, so leave us a message if you'd like"
CHECKMATE!
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 2:02pm

yet another 2# from my brother's pond
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Quote SVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by ianbejamin

I've always wanted to try fly fishing but really know nothing about it. Is it hard? Expensive? What kind of waters can i do it in?

Have a browse here - it has a lot of info helpful to get started.

http://about-flyfishing.com/

We are is what we think
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 11:37am
just got back from pier fishing at Cambridge MD...

nothing but perch, one croaker, 2 crabs, and alot of really tiny spot
Murph13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Kickflip fail

Quote Murph13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 11:46am
I just did some fishing at Silver, Goal, and June lake a couple weeks ago. It was good times but not many hits, just a headsup for anybody thinking about there. Things definately could have changed though
leadfootedfool View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote leadfootedfool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by pyrotechnics

If you based how fish tasted on how they looked you be in trouble

This guy doesn't look tasty to me but after a new name a clever marketing, people love them some "Chilean Sea Bass" 
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Stryker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:14pm
They are mighty tasty.  I just went flyfishing at the croton.  4hrs to \catch a sunfish.  BOOO
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Stryker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:16pm
The thing about fly fishing is that most rods have a warranty even if you step on them.  So I look at it as a 25 yr investment.  I understand that all rods work but I always think that it is better just to get the best one if you are really into it.
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Stryker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:17pm
Let me come to the pond too!  The pond looks awesome, untouched and very little pressure.
andrewfinesilver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Bingo McGee

Quote andrewfinesilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:20pm
Fishing is probably my favorite, it's catching that one fish where u just know that one was the biggest baddest mamojama in that particular water area, yeah, that is where it's at
vasnowboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vasnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:49pm
went fishing today love river fishing in va
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:50pm
I like fishing, but there is so much mercury in the water near us that the fish aren't good for you to eat.  I know it takes more than one to get me sick, but I don't want to even deal with it.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
Soda View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Soda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 8:41pm
went fishing end of june, up at mallacoota inlet, victoria, australia. there were so many tailers, filled a 100 litre eski.
Amacaluso25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Amacaluso25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 8:50pm
just went perch fishing... caught 150 all together ha. wish i had pictures
Amacaluso25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Amacaluso25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 8:51pm
at Lake Erie.
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 8:49am

the ugliest of ugly...but oh so yummy!
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote surgyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 8:57am
isn't that guy from the latest predator movie? lol
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:44am
what kind of fish is that????
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:46am
that is a monkfish, poor man's lobster.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2010 at 8:25am
ah... so thats monkfish.. korean ppl like to eat that...

I went to the Indian river in Delaware during the weekend..
We caught about 20 Tautog. only one keeper though..

There were tons of ppl with lures catching Rock. On the shore and on boats. The guys on boats were damn busy.. 28" was the limit so they were catching big fish!!

Tautog on the otherhand are some strong fish!
vasnowboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vasnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2010 at 8:29am
i went spear fishing the other day in a river but water was muddy so we only caught to fish
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Quote eriklim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2010 at 7:42pm
I want to learn to go fishing.  But it seems like it's hard to get into since there are restrictions for each state and you need a permit?   Then I have to look into equipment and spawn areas.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 4:41am
spawn areas... sounds like a game.

the easiest way to learn how to fish is follow someone that already likes to fish.

They should be able to help you out with pretty much everything.
probably have extra gear, can help with putting on bait, casting... all that good stuff
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote pyrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 6:26am
Originally posted by VTBear

spawn areas... sounds like a game.

the easiest way to learn how to fish is follow someone that already likes to fish.

They should be able to help you out with pretty much everything.
probably have extra gear, can help with putting on bait, casting... all that good stuff

best advice ever. that's how i picked it up...you learn how to do everything from them and not to mention having a buddy around to shoot the breeze with.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 9:43am
on the off note...

why does my location say 34?? i thought it was 9 earlier.... ?
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Stryker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 7:03am
Monkfish liver is amazing too.
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Stryker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 5:15am
Anyone know a good place to flyfish for trout near NYC?
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 7:34am
Friend wants to goto OC Maryland to catch Sheepshead...
looks really good.. but that would mean 4 straight weekends of fishing
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:48am
is there something wrong with 4 straight weeks of fishing? sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Stryker, try PA, there are a few good streams, but not that close. little lehigh, outside bethlehem PA, and around that area are some alright trout waters. jus have to get a good fishing guide(book), and ask at local shops.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 3:17am
nothing wrong with 4 straight weeks.. just hard to do when you are married and the wife doesnt like fishing all that much..
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:35am
see, thats the difference between me and you, i am glad that my wife doesnt like fishing, otherwise she would want to go, and that would ruin my fishing trips, by the way caught a nice 4 pounder(largemouth) last night, but buddy took picture and hasn't sent it to me yet.
riderdie569 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote riderdie569 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 4:56pm
You dudes from alaska are absolutely killing me right now. The pain!!! I was inches from moving to AK when it got ripped out from under me. Had orders to be stationed at elmendorf AFB. Now no longer in the AF i am sitting in a hospital at work on sierrasnowboard.com with no time to spend in beatiful AK catching kings and barn door halibut and hunting ptarmigan, moose, carribou, and bear. seriously i did every bit of research to ready myself for the expirience of a life time... only to find out i was to end up staying in vacaville, Ca. My dream lives on... one day i'll get up there.Cry
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by eldolocal68

see, thats the difference between me and you, i am glad that my wife doesnt like fishing, otherwise she would want to go, and that would ruin my fishing trips
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>