The Ofishal Fishing Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jayeasy619 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jayeasy619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ofishal Fishing Thread
    Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:34am
your daughter looks terrified of that fish!
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:36am
buddy of mine caught this the other day:

lol, he actually isn't my friend at all
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:37am
but daaaadddddy...i don't want to hold it! yuck!
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:39am
mmmmmmm....geoduck, yum.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:48am
lol, i have never had geoduck, but some of my chinese friends claim that it tastes great in soup.

it can also be served sashimi style?
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:51am
sauteed quickly with garlic, lemon, wht. wine, olive oil, some s&p, and your good to go, preferrably on the beach where you dug it up.mmmmmmmm.
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 8:57am
what the sweet merciful christ is that????
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 1:02pm
I enjoy catfishing down here in the Bay Area.  My FIL go to Lake Del Valle. 

I've also done a season of Salmon up on the delta.  Got a nice 17 pound chrome salmon :)

-zakk

megabitch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote megabitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 1:44pm
This is the biggest large mouth I've caught in this lake in Northeastern WA.  My parents have owned a place up here since I was 4, and the average size large mouth is around 2-3 pounds, but this past year a few have been caught that were upwards of 8 pounds.  This dude was just shy of 6.  My first day up there for over a year and I managed to land it.  We released him back shortly after taking pics. 

vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 3:08pm
Nice bucketmouth Jenn!
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 3:28pm
sweet fish!
Boogeyman24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Boogeyman24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 4:34pm
wow jenn that thing is a beast!  bet he put up a good fight for you, what did you catch it on??
Say Shhhhhh...
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by megabitch

This is the biggest large mouth I've caught in this lake in Northeastern WA.  My parents have owned a place up here since I was 4, and the average size large mouth is around 2-3 pounds, but this past year a few have been caught that were upwards of 8 pounds.  This dude was just shy of 6.  My first day up there for over a year and I managed to land it.  We released him back shortly after taking pics. 

holy that is an enormous bass
my mom says im hardcore
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 9:45am
that is huge... damn.. makes me want to try fresh water fishing
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote pyrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 1:01pm
that geoduck is insane! making me salivate.
the northeast is starting to cool off rather quickly...any ideas on when the season will end?

Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 1:29pm
i fish well after the leaves have dropped, i usually go out duck and goose hunting in the morning and bring along my rods for afterwards...well into december.
megabitch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote megabitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Boogeyman24

wow jenn that thing is a beast!  bet he put up a good fight for you, what did you catch it on??
Caught it on a Wave Worm.  We use to always use live nightcrawlers when I spent my summers up there as a kid, but I guess over the past two years or so my dad has converted over to these and still kills it with the bass..... clearly Wink
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2010 at 9:47am
22in. 4lb bass, and 5lb cat i caught recently...
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2011 at 7:39am
trying to go fishing at the chesapeake bay this weekend... just for some croaker and bluefish... i think rockfish is out of season...
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2011 at 12:00pm
well.. there's another plan that went nowhere..
its been raining for the past few days.. and will be tonight... also the highs are in the mid 40s...

no fishing this weekend
ma3lstrom13 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ma3lstrom13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by azn_dan

lol, i have never had geoduck, but some of my chinese friends claim that it tastes great in soup.

it can also be served sashimi style?

sashimi style geoduck is amazing. its slightly chewy but not overly so served on a plate of ice.
SnapShot View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote SnapShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2011 at 4:24pm
I haven't got my license yet this year, I probably will tomorrow.  
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2011 at 5:16am
I got my Maryland license, now I need to get my Delaware license.. lol
Also I have to get a license for my wife.. maybe her dad too..

Thats about $100 right there...
AKmayh3m View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote AKmayh3m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:45am
hey man, i was just wonderin where ya went fishin at? not ur "dads secret hole" but the city? valdez maybe? and that big aluminum skiff u were on? kinda lookd like the QUINNAT but couldnt really see but 2 feet of the ass-end...probly not but, hey, if im right ya gota let me kno...you kno, just so i can say that i kno my shit, right? im a commercial fisherman outta valdez, tho u probly went outta seward or whittier. only wonderin. hit me back if ya wanna BS bout it here.
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:48am

I wanna go fishing really bad after looking through all these pics. I went last weekend, but it was super windy and we only caught a couple of catfish. Think I'm gonna try to go hit up a nice striper spot this weekend.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by AKmayh3m

hey man, i was just wonderin where ya went fishin at? not ur "dads secret hole" but the city? valdez maybe? and that big aluminum skiff u were on? kinda lookd like the QUINNAT but couldnt really see but 2 feet of the ass-end...probly not but, hey, if im right ya gota let me kno...you kno, just so i can say that i kno my shit, right? im a commercial fisherman outta valdez, tho u probly went outta seward or whittier. only wonderin. hit me back if ya wanna BS bout it here.
me?  that's a legit boat, not a skiff.  i live in juneau.. the pictures from on the boat were out of cross sound near deer harbor, in lisianski inlet, and around elfin cove.

edit: oh, i bet you meant the pictures from the first post i made.  that's my dads old skiff, still in juneau.. those pictures are all in the waters around juneau.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:54am
bah i havent gotten out this season yet, stupid wedding takes up all the time KIDDING
my mom says im hardcore
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2011 at 11:02pm
almost cobia season here in south carolina....
skyfooze View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote skyfooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 1:33am
I don't fish very often but if I do I go out into the Atlantic Ocean by North Carolina to do some deep sea fishing.
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 3:34am
Going to canada in june. I go everyyear with my dad
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:19am
hoping to go fishing this weekend.... but the weather forecast shows rain on saturday..
C02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote C02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2011 at 5:32am
im gonna go fishing for some shad soon
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 8:51am
just got back from Kmart..

they actually had alot of line for sale.. I got spiderwire 330yrds 20lbs for $5 and they had 3oz non lead weights for $2.50 (about 5 of them)

the last thing that I liked was a tackle bag...

so not bad
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2011 at 10:51am
i'm not big into fishing, only been a few times.
in Benicia (in Bay Area), I've caught a 46in... striper... forgot what it actually was could be a sturgeon, but it was exciting cause it was my first catch and it was big for me and my bait was way the hell out there. Brought it to a donut shop in Vallejo and they gave me endless boxes of donuts for a month. Sooner or later, I realized that they serve burgers and fish and chips for lunch. LoL. I'll never knew or have eaten their fish and chips but their donuts are bomb.
At Berkeley Pier, I went to fish with a couple buddies. They were very experienced, and I witness them and other guys catching sting-rays, hammer sharks, and all kind of other fishies. It was an eye opener for me. And catching a sting-ray is totally different than other fishes due to the way they swim. He let me reel em in for a bit.
got onto a fishing boat to go out to the bay from fisherman's wharf in sf. all we caught were halibuts but we got a lot.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 3:31pm
boat getting ready for the season at my dad's house.  cleaned off a bunch of barnacles and their glue, cleaning everything else, and fixing the kicker and mount that a crab boat smashed into this winter.  first trip is to lituya.. so stoked.  gonna try to find ourselves a new king spot on the outer coast, between cross sound and lituya

here's where we go. doesn't seem very far but it's almost a half day journey to cross sound in the boat.  our normal drag for king salmon is marked, so this time we're gonna try going up the north coast toward lituya and the insanely huge fairweather mountain range.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 3:33pm
also, if you haven't heard of lituya bay, it's the place where the biggest recorded wave in history occurred.  i've wanted to go there since i first learned about it when i was a lot younger. it's really not far north up the outer coast from where we normally go, but it can get nasty and we've just never done the trip. so excited.

the wave was over 1700 feet high, and swiped off all the trees from the mountain sides in the bay. for some comparison, the empire state building is under 1500 feet tall. even crazier, there were a few boats in there at the time.. one with a father and son, or grandpa or something like that, and the wave carried them up and over the bar at the entrance and placed them back out in the open ocean.. alive. biggest wave ever surfed?

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 3:26pm
she hits the water today.  bottom cleaned of all barnacles and their glue, inside cleaned out and looking good, got all the electronics hooked back up today and everything seems to be working, new smoke stack for the stove that's gonna help improve proper heating.... ready for harvest time.  we head out a week from tomorrow.. always so excited for the first trip of the season.

JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 9:23am
i'm getting ready for a trip to catalina...  this is going to be my first time seriously fishing...  i don't think i've caught anything before when i went, just messing around and dropping a line out.  but this time, i will need to catch something if i'm going to eat...

target is the catalina white sea bass.  i need to get a rod and reel...  any suggestions?  been doing some research, looks like i'll need something with a 25~30 line weight rod.
gfcthomas View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gfcthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 10:15am
that snail is so creepy where did you catch it
misterlime View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote misterlime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 10:50pm
Wow, your guys' fish put my little fish to shame! I just got back into fishing after 20 some years of not touching a rod. I'm having fun, but the fish I'm catching are so tiny compared to the ones in this thread. Jealous!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 2:26pm
After work, in an hr, going with some buddies to do some jetty fishing in dana point
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 4:08am

Posted this up in the off-season thread but figured it fits here as well... Rainy weekend in Montana = MT going and tossing a streamer around... caught a few browns.. this was the only one i paused to take a picture of.  Fished a place called the Boulder River..which runs into the Jefferson (1 of the three forks that turn into the Missouri).  Factoid:  There's actually two Boulder Rivers in Montana.  Fishing is going to get reaalll good here soon.. gettin amped!
MOAR powderz plz!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 7:13pm
camera bag is all set.. can't wait to get out of here

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 4:51pm
copy/pasted

back on land. lituya bay was the most amazing place i've ever been, with the roughest seas i've ever experienced on the way there. the seraphina usually cruises at around 25kt... we couldn't safely do much more than the 6kt we were doing. surfed a wave through the entrance during the ebb tide, the worst time to do it (not much of a choice at the time), as a tightly packed swell with chop on top was coming from the side and i was looking UP at the peak while out on the back deck. in retrospect, i don't think i/we have ever been closer to dying... but don't get me wrong, it was a great thrill and a hell of an experience and i'd do it again in a heartbeat. had a few moments dead in the water on the coast at icy point as well, which was a bit of a hair raiser. rest of the trip was great. sleeping in bays on the outer coast looking over the greatest and most vast & endless feature of our planet is always humbling, as were the landscapes in lituya, paired with the knowledge of the bay's harsh past and seeing it with my own eyes. in closing, i don't want to be back home. i find it hard to make sense of many things in "civilized" life when i come back from the ocean. and yes of course, everything was thoroughly documented in photos and on film, though nothing could be done justice, as that would be impossible. onward...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 10:54pm
so many to go through, but here's two for now, shot as we were fishing south of cross sound near deer harbor. a large pod of 40-50 orca passed near our boat, backed by the fairweathers shooting above 15,000ft from the ocean.  the first photo is after they passed so it was shot in the other direction.  i wanted a better photo of them in front of the range more than anything, but it didn't happen.

VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 4:17am
Wow!

Great pics. Damn you have a great life! Snowboarding and fishing!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 7:02am
again..sick pics spenser.. gotta get up to alaska and do some kings n corn sometime.  Went out on Saturday with a few friends.. 2 boats.. 5 people.. 3 dogs.. tossed a few streamers around had some bites just couldn't land them.. there were definitely some monster bull trout lurking around... oh well.. can't let the skunk days get you down.. after all.. any day spent on the river is better than a day spent in town.
MOAR powderz plz!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 5:59pm
thanks dudes.  i feel very humbled every time i get to do something like this.  blessed to have been born and raised here.

having a shrimp feast at my uncle's with our catch from lituya bay.  best view in juneau if you ask me.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 3:41pm
just finished my full photo post for the trip.  i won't post them all here, so here's a link that includes the stories and captions

here are a few of my favorites

black bear in torch bay on the way to lituya

dylan checking out the huge rock face below the mountains at the head of lituya

mountains at the back of the bay that rise over 8,000ft from the water

surf waves from the swell coming up over the shallow bar at the entrance, as we left the bay at 4am

dylan with the only fish of the trip.  super slow fishing...

an un-shrunken close up of the pair of orcas

not that stoked on the photo on my part, but pretty cool to have captured.. an orca breaches in the distance while we were fishing

the view from deer harbor on our second night. it's not an actual harbor, just a small natural bay on the coast with a view of the open ocean.  probably my favorite place i've ever slept.  so peaceful.

a beautiful morning on our final day

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 11:31pm
seas on the way to the bay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>