Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBA Thread
    Posted: Jun/16/2009 at 3:03pm
I love our local NBA forum.  Last year I suggested Portland should get in on the Josh Smith deal.  Send them Outlaw and Blake and let Sergio and Jared play more.  Everyone said I was crazy and nuts.

I figured we needed another physical presence and someone who is a lock down defensive type guy.  Someone who shakes things up.  Portland really doesn't have an X factor right now on the defense end.  Sure enough, everyone rips into me and says I'm stupid.

Now the local media is reporting the Blazers are interested, and everyone thinks its the greatest idea ever. 

I want to be a GM.  If Michael Jordan can get paid a million dollars a year to draft Kwame Brown first overall, I gotta be worth three or four million a year. 
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 5:14am
I know we have a sports thread but the NBA seems to be the main topic.  The playoffs thread has turned into an internet pissing contest so I locked it.  Here is a new NBA thread to discuss all things NBA related.  I moved Shaka's last post to this thread to try and start a good discussion.
www.chargeharder.com
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:08am
i should've been a GM a long time ago as well. Geoff Petrie is and has been an idiot. how many of the Kings' 1st round picks are even on the team now? both Turkoglu and Wallace were both amazing role players. it was just a matter of time before they found the one all-star player that would pull it altogether. whatever. 
peace.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:20am
The Nuggets made quite a few draft mistakes before finally getting Carmelo.  They drafted some European player who is no longer in the league over quite a few big names including Amare Stoudemire.
www.chargeharder.com
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:20am
i bet the Magic's GM is kicking themselves in the ass for letting Trevor Ariza go.  He sure would've helped the Magics a lot with his inside game this post season.  Oh how the tables have turned.
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:27am
^^^^ not necessarily. it's possible, but it's also possible that Ariza just worked much better with the triangle offense than with the Magic's offense. who knows?
peace.
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:43am

Wasn't the reason they traded Ariza was because his style of playing doesn't mesh with the Orlando's offensive style?

He probably wouldn't preform as well or wouldn't have made much of an impact if he stayed in orlando.

Go Canucks!
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:56am
You never know how he would have performed if he stayed with the Magic.  However he played his ass off in the playoffs and earned himself a big payday this summer.
www.chargeharder.com
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:56am
People get hung up on numbers and stats with NBA players a lot I notice.  One thing they fail to realize is that the individual offense and defensive sets/plays they run have a great affect on a players ability to succeed.

A great player will be able to adapt to any set, but even Jordan struggled with the triangle at first.

Every single player in the league is an amazing ball player, you don't make it that far without being one.  It doesn't surprise me at all that some of the lower tier guys can go to a new situation and thrive. 

I use to play in the summer all the time with NBA players, and the nobodies were kicking the living crap out of local legends without even breaking a sweat.  Its another world when you get to that skill set. 
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 9:16am
Why would we start a NBA thread after the season ended?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 9:23am
Because the silly season has just begun.  We have about a week's worth of pre-draft trade rumors to deal with.

Everyone is saying Ellis is pissed at the Warriors as they are planning on drafting more guards.  I bet he is trade bait right now. 
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 9:42am
Originally posted by shakazulu12

People get hung up on numbers and stats with NBA players a lot I notice.  One thing they fail to realize is that the individual offense and defensive sets/plays they run have a great affect on a players ability to succeed.

A great player will be able to adapt to any set, but even Jordan struggled with the triangle at first.

Every single player in the league is an amazing ball player, you don't make it that far without being one.  It doesn't surprise me at all that some of the lower tier guys can go to a new situation and thrive. 

I use to play in the summer all the time with NBA players, and the nobodies were kicking the living crap out of local legends without even breaking a sweat.  Its another world when you get to that skill set. 

Totally agree. Every professional player is an amazing player, because if you ain't, you wouldn't be there in the first place. Not only for basketball, but in every sport. Unless you're 8 feet tall, 400 pounds of muscle, then i guess you can be in the nba or MMA.

When you were talkinga bout the nobodies, you meant the nobodies in the NBA right?

Go Canucks!
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 9:44am
I am wondering how bad the wizards will screw up the #5 pick.  
www.chargeharder.com
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 9:48am
Originally posted by lineears

Totally agree. Every professional player is an amazing player, because if you ain't, you wouldn't be there in the first place. Not only for basketball, but in every sport. Unless you're 8 feet tall, 400 pounds of muscle, then i guess you can be in the nba or MMA.

When you were talkinga bout the nobodies, you meant the nobodies in the NBA right?

haha i agree with everything, but the MMA part. you can be a 400 pound horrible unskilled steroid using freak, and take the championship from a lifetime commited well established veteran fighter.

Sorry, but i just hate brock lesner.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 9:58am

Yeah, although at the time Jermaine O'neal was one of them.  Perfect example of what I was saying really.  Dude couldn't get off the bench in Portland, but look what happened when he got to Indiana. 
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2009 at 8:52pm
yay for the Kings. they're looking to draft yet ANOTHER SG! damn it! how many SGs do you need?!??!?! i'm ready to punch Petrie and the Maloofs. ugghhhh!

then again, i will give them the benefit of the doubt that they got screwed by the Lottery and got the #4 pick in a HORRIBLE draft. however, i will say that they probably would've screwed up the #1 pick as well, even if they got that.
peace.
hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 3:28am
I think that Kobe fouled Nelson.....just kidding,

For some reason I think Blake Griffin is going to be a flop, he'll be an OK player...but I don't think he's gonna be an all-star.  And he's going to the Clippers, where players just seem to disappear.
openwheelracing View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 6:29am
oh no you didn'tLOL

I hope Clippers get an all star somehow (via draft or trade) cause I get corporate seats. The only time I get company's Laker seats, I got to see Kobe drop 81 against Raptors.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 7:44am
I think Griffin is going to be the stud that you never hear about because he plays for the Clips.  Hopefully they don't ruin him.  They are the only team in the league that actually has too much size on their frontline though, and none of those contracts are tradable right now.

Griffin kinda reminds me of Karl Malone for some reason. 
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2009 at 1:39pm
hey openwheelracing

since your a die hard Kobe fanatic maybe you should bid on this auction Thumbs Up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=200353607274

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 4:58am
lol I would never wear that.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 6:21am
Lakers are rumored to be working on the details of an 8 year, 138 million dollar extension for Kobe.  
anton View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 6:32am
That would pretty much mean that Kobe spent his NBA career with Lakers.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 6:42am
Not true..............he was drafted by Charlotte!  I can't figure out why everyone forgets about that.  He had bitched an moaned so much that the only team he would play for would be LA before the draft.  Teams were passing on him as an attitude problem, Charlotte eventually took him at 13 and traded him for Vlade Divac.  
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 7:35am
if I remember correctly, Charlotte drafted Kobe knowing the trade possibility. They wanted a center and I believe the trade happened on the same day. Vlade was in his prime at the time. At first Charlotte looked good as Kobe air balled twice against Jazz in post season, but turn out to be a brilliant move by Jerry West.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 10:36am
Basically Kobe's agent told everyone that was thinking of drafting him that they better have a deal worked out with LA in advance.  Kobe was a dick through the whole eval process, only wanting to talk to LA etc.  Right up there with Steve Francis as one of the most ungrateful draft picks of all time.

In other news, Tony Parker is the latest NBA player to think he is a rapper, check out the Tim Duncan cameo.

Its really difficult to be a french gangsta

myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 10:50am
lol he just looks weird... he's married to longoria, he needs to be the pretty boy!

speaking of eva longoria.. she's hot I don't think anyone mentioned her in the other thread
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by openwheelracing

lol I would never wear that.

you have to rock that Kobe Diem shirt Big smile

Lakers are rumored to be working on the details of an 8 year, 138 million dollar extension for Kobe.  

Kobe is turning 31 soon and if he goes through with the deal he'll be playing until he's 39.  i wonder what his game will be like in 4 years let alone 8 years.  i think he'll retire by 35.

Tony P's part in the vid was the best part!!! Thumbs UpClap
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 3:39am
why do nba players try rapping, they'll never be taken seriously and usually get made fun of relentlessly.....even if (in the rare case) they might be good
damiendaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
On top of the China Bowl @ Vail

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 7:20am
^^^^ That is extremely true. That Tony Parker rap video was pure garbage, I almost feel bad for Fabolous for dropping rhymes on that song, his part was the only decent part. He should stick to being Mr. Longoria and playing ball. 

Here is a list that I found of some other NBA rappers and their so called hits

No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good....They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 7:42am
How could they have left the infamous Kobe Bryant/Tyra Banks album off that list?  Oh wait.......I guess they aren't counting ones that got cancelled one week before their release date

giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:09am
i had removed that from my memory shaka.. lol
damiendaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
On top of the China Bowl @ Vail

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 8:29am
I remember watching that the first time in shock and then laughing hysterically. Well thank you Shaka for making me do the exact same thing once again. 

Here is an update of NBA Rappers with some direct links

No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good....They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 11:33am
What is this basketball you talk of?  Do people watch it???
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2009 at 12:01pm
Tyra is smoking...
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:17am
Just read on yahoo that Portland is going to make a strong push to sign Hedo.
www.chargeharder.com
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:32am
Yeah, that has been the rumor.  Not sure how I feel about it.  I like his skill set, and I like the fact he is not afraid to take a big shot.  But I notice the offense kinda stalls when he has the ball in his hands and there isn't a lot of movement. 

Of course, I only started paying attention to him in the playoffs.  Orlando isn't going to let him go though I don't think, and we don't have anyone they would want for trade reasons (yet anyway).

I wouldn't want to give him more than about 8 million a season either, and he supposedly wants 10-11. 

There are a lot of free agent SF's out there right now though, Hedo, Odem, Artest.  Not to mention a ton more that are available for trade:  Gerald Wallace (I would love portland to get him), Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Josh Smith etc.  Great year to be shopping for a 3. 
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:34am
I would like to see VC go to the Cavs.  Just for the entertainment factor.  VC and LJ dunking from everywhere imaginable.  
www.chargeharder.com
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:37am
Yeah, VC would give the Cav's an X-factor they could use.  He could take a lot of scoring pressure of LeBron.  Mo Williams did a good job of it all year and vanished come post season time. 

Intersting, Paul Allen told Portland's GM to do whatever it takes.  They are rumored to be trading out of the draft now, no more young guys. 
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:56am

steve francis was a BIATCH!!!!!

i still remember him being a cry baby when he was drafted by Vancouver.

What an A-HOLE!

and guess what. he flopped!

deserves him right.

Go Canucks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 10:03am
Is this in regards to Rubio and Habeet refusing to work out for the Grizzlies?

Francis was a bitch though when he got drafted.  At least fake it and smile for the media during the actual ceremony.  I was watching re-runs of the old drafts from the 80's, and those guys were just thankful to be playing basketball somewhere and getting paid for it.  Not a single one was wangy when they got drafted.  Watching Pervous Ellison go 1st in 88 was hilarious. 
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2009 at 9:02pm

What an A-HOLE!

deserves him right.

\

i agree that he acted like a huge a-hole, but i wouldn't consider him a flop. he had some pretty good years with houston.
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 3:18am
Originally posted by starang

What an A-HOLE!

deserves him right.

\

i agree that he acted like a huge a-hole, but i wouldn't consider him a flop. he had some pretty good years with houston.

I don't know, I think he was a flop.  He didn't do anything after he left Houston, and even when he was in Houston, he wasn't that great.  The Rockets weren't very good during his years too.  I think they were around .500 during his years....but I could be wrong on that, I didn't really follow Houston.
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 3:56am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

I would like to see VC go to the Cavs.  Just for the entertainment factor.  VC and LJ dunking from everywhere imaginable.  

VC and LJ would be fun to watch.  i can just imagine the Sportscenter top 10 plays w/ just VC and LJ all over it.

heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 4:10am
I agree, that would be fun to watch.  As a Cavs fan, I don't think that would be the best thing for there team though.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 6:36am
Originally posted by hisnameisdre

Originally posted by starang

What an A-HOLE!

deserves him right.

\

I don't know, I think he was a flop.  He didn't do anything after he left Houston, and even when he was in Houston, he wasn't that great.  The Rockets weren't very good during his years too.  I think they were around .500 during his years....but I could be wrong on that, I didn't really follow Houston.

Did you see his first year in Orlando?  There was even some MVP talk around that time.  He did fall pretty fast from there though, he knee's and quad's fell apart.  Not much you can do with injuries like that. 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:46am
Stop the presses!

Richard Jefferson traded to the Spurs according to ESPN.
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:52am
its funny how BOS tries to trade Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo to DET for Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey.  what the heck was BOS thinking? Confused
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 9:58am
Apparently Rondo has huge attitude problems.  Its been rumored kind of under the radar since last season.  His teammates don't really like him. 

tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2009 at 10:04am
i see the reasoning in trading Rondo but i just don't see how BOS expects to get 3 possible all stars from DET for the price of 1.5.  when i heard about it, i knew it was a long shot but did BOS really think that deal would go through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>