Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBA Thread
    Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 7:34am

at lease there's one thing we can agree on. Clippers won't screw up this pick. If they don't choose blake, they should really be banned in the lottery forever.

Go Canucks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 7:45am
Originally posted by lineears

LOL
Donald Sterling, is he the GM who missed on Lebron and melo?

I read that the GM before that also missed out on VC, garnett, pierce and etc.

That franchise is a fail. They need fking better scouts lol.

Sterling is the owner.  The GM was Elgin Baylor, who is currently suing the owner. As far as I know, they have not replaced him with anyone else, though I admit I don't pay attention to the Clippers much.  My guess is Dunleavy is making the call on the draft choice.

The Clippers fail at all facets of basketball, whether it be draft picks, free agents, coaching.  doesn't really matter.  There is no saving that franchise unless its sold.  At one point a couple years ago, other NBA owners were suing Sterling because he was bringing the value of the league down.

Heard some interesting stuff just now.  Houston talking about a T-Mac, Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry swap with the Suns for Amare and Barbosa.

A new nickname for Shaq, "Cleveland Steamer"
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 8:24am

DAMN..

T-mac??? really??
But if i were the suns, no way would i do that trade.
T-mac is sort of or atlease slowly passing his prime while barbosa and amare are just hitting it.
Also tmac injury prone in the recent years.
steve kerr would be the next fail if he trades amare. especially after he traded marion.
Go Canucks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 8:32am
Tmac is "slowly passing his prime"?  Where have you been?  Tmac passed his prime at ludicrous speed a couple years ago.  He is nothing more than an aging role player with a ton of skills right now.  That guy is 29 going on 50.  He has problems with curvature of his spine, it causes his body to be unbalanced.  Years of playing ball has wreaked havoc on it.  He simply can't sustain the athleticism he once had, no matter what he does.  Same thing is going to happen to Greg Oden, one of his legs is an inch shorter than the other.  That doesn't affect you in the beginning, but after years of running around, it causes huge problems.

It would kinda make sense for the suns though if they are just after cap space.  Think about it, with T-mac's contracts coming off the book next year, as well as everyone they just picked up from cleveland, they would drop somewhere around 40 million from the cap in 2010 when LeBron, Wade and Bosh are all free agents. 

Houston would get rid of a guy who isn't helping them much anyway.  Artest has taken over the 3 spot anyway.  Yao seems like he is basically past the McGrady combo taking them anywhere and seems like he wants to win. 

The only problem I see is that Yao needs to quit the Chinese team, and I dont know if his country will let him.  He basically has played basketball for six or seven years straight with no break, thats why he has so many stress fractures.  A body that big just can't take the abuse. 
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 8:46am
I believe Tmac can still be an xfactor. If they had T-Mac during the playoffs, they might have been less of a push over to the lakers in the last 3 games during the playoffs. He might not have the same atheletism, but he can sure nail those jumpers in left from right, just won't see him charging the bucket as much as before.

I agree with Yao, him playing basketball 6-7 years straight, puts him in good conditioning, but every person needs a break. And it's not like the chinese team does much for him, the competition level factor is so much lower compared to the NBA anyways. Mind as well use that time to rest.
Go Canucks!
Work Execution View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 8:53am
If LeBron wins this year, it will be interesting to see how much of the "can't win without Shaq" theories surface.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 8:54am
Tmac definitely is still a skilled player.  He would make a pretty awesome vet on a young team, or the glue guy that gets you over.  Sort of a former all-star version of Ariza or something like that.  I could see him putting up 15, 7 and 7 for another couple years or so.  Its just that he is getting paid 22 million for it.

After his deal is up, I would love to see him sign a mid-level contract and stick around.  But he was already talking about retirement several years ago, before he was even injured.  I think he will probably just move on.

I wonder what is going to happen to Iverson this year?  Where does he go? 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:20am
Lakers just sold the 29th pick to the Knicks for 3 million

Brandon Jennings has declined his invitation to sit in the green room at the draft.  Possible clue that he is going to fall quite a bit ala Qyntel Woods, Rashard Lewis etc. 
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:20am
Iverson gonna get a BIG BIG pay cut for his no where close to mvp preformance in detroit.
What a dumb trade, iverson for billups lol.
There's a few places i know where he won't/can't go. Clippers, LA, and Cavs.
Detroit will not sign him, at lease i don't think, would be interesting to see him go to Boston LOL. ray allan and iverson shooting, damn that be crazy. then they can for sure trade away rondo...but that will most likely not happen.
Go Canucks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:23am
Iverson didn't fit it in Detroit because their offense is more like the Princeton offense.  They have no super athletic scorers other than Stuckey, so they make do with ball movement and cutting.  Nothing wrong with that, just Iverson is more of a get up and down kinda guy.

I have no idea who pays him, though I agree that he will probably just get the 5.5 million exception from someone.  He has also said he may retire.  The guy took care of himself financially, so he doesn't need the money.

Rasheed Wallace is still out there, but that statement he made about not playing for less than 8 million was crazy. 
Dragonz131 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:28am
Whats up with the draft this year?  Why so many trades?  Is it because of the lack of talent or what?
I'm ova here now. OHHH
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:35am
There is always trade speculation every year.  The only difference now is the economy and some teams are actually making moves purely for financial reasons.  The Hornets and Bobcats are both really broke right now in particular.  Many other teams are feeling the pressue.  This gives the teams with money a chance to strip off guys in deals that normally wouldn't happen. 

Big reason why Portland's GM is on the phone so much, Paul Allen gave him the green light to spend whatever it takes. 
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:45am

i think portland can afford to wait another year and possible banking in next year's free agency.

Go Canucks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:56am
Portland will only be a free agent player this year really.  Next year they have to sign Aldridge and Roy to extensions.  They know it, thats why they are trying to get something done this summer.  We will be over the cap for a while with those guys on the team.  Not to mention Oden three years from now if he stays even remotely healthy. 

Real GM is reporting that the Rockets are now talking to Golden State about a Tmac deal. 
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:57am
I heard a rumor of Iverson heading to Charlotte to be reunited with Larry Brown.  Actually its wasn't so much of a rumor as it was Bill Simmons making a logical case for it to happen on one of his podcasts.
www.chargeharder.com
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 9:58am
Rockets forward Carl Landry has an opt out clause next year and might be pressuring the Rockets for a contract now or he will use it supposedly.

Thats the rumor anyway, might explain why they are suddenly looking to dump him.  That deal with the Suns would make them a strong contender though. 
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Work Execution

If LeBron wins this year, it will be interesting to see how much of the "can't win without Shaq" theories surface.

since shaq is way past his prime and isn't the number 1 option as he was with kobe. i don't think any of this will come up with lebron as it did with kobe. 
joma5662 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The Canyon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:18am
Hopefully the Mavs dont choke this year, their supposed to get a sick new up comer
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:20am
Iverson with Larry Brown would be fun.  I wonder if Jordan would sign off on that though?  The Bobcats are up for sale.  Iverson would bring lots of fans to the arena though.  If they could get him on a 2 or 3 year deal, at 6-8 million per, it would be a sweet one.  He can still play at a really high level in this league.  I

However, I wonder if Iverson would enjoy playing for a loser again though? 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:22am
Local Portland media is spreading a Blazers/Suns trade right now.  No names, just saying there is something big about to go down. 

I don't know if I believe it.  They have been saying we wanted Nash, but we don't have the parts to make it work, then they said we wanted Amare, which is just plain stupid as he won't take a back seat to Roy.
tk177 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:24am
Originally posted by shakazulu12

A new nickname for Shaq, "Cleveland Steamer"

LOL

AI is the man!!!  this is my favorite press conference vid of all time

BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:24am
I love the NBA because of all the big trades that happen.
www.chargeharder.com
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 10:37am
I love that Iverson interview, goes right up there with the Rasheed Wallace one from back in the day when the only answer he would give was "both teams played hard"

Here was Iverson when he got introduced in Detroit. 

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 11:19am
Nets/Magic talking about a Rafar Alston/Vince Carter swap with some filler included.  Being reported by ESPN as almost done. 

Holy crap, the magic would be viscous  with Carter there!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 11:41am
Supposedly Portland just agreed to send Sergio Rodriguez and the #38 to NJ for Josh Boone.  
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 11:46am
VC in Orlando would be pretty sick.
www.chargeharder.com
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 11:57am
i guess Houston is saying that Yao's foot still isn't healed.  there's speculation that it's a stunt to try and get China to let him rest.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:00pm
That would not shock me at all to be honest.  Even Yao has been making side comments that he would rather not play this summer.

Good thing he loves his family, or that dude would have defected by now.  He pays half his NBA salary to the Chinese government. 
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:09pm

That would not shock me at all to be honest.  Even Yao has been making side comments that he would rather not play this summer.

Good thing he loves his family, or that dude would have defected by now.  He pays half his NBA salary to the Chinese government. 

yeah f*ck the chinese government.  shit now i need to go hide i bet they're reading this.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:14pm
Oh wait, just read on Yao's contract that it was not the Chinese government, some advisor basically tried to take it all, but it was later caught.  
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:17pm

Oh wait, just read on Yao's contract that it was not the Chinese government, some advisor basically tried to take it all, but it was later caught.  

well i still say f*ck the chinese government....anyways back tot he NBA....who do you thinkt he grizzlies are going to take?

timberline_rider View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:22pm
Crygreg oden was such a bust...i mean i dont blame the blazers because we were in need but still ughhh...same thing happend years back with jordan
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by craigalicious

well i still say f*ck the chinese government....anyways back tot he NBA....who do you thinkt he grizzlies are going to take?

No idea who they are taking.  Thabeet doesn't want to go there, neither does Rubio.  The guys at ESPN are saying that Memphis is all over the phones trying to deal the pick, but can't get anything done. 

Best guess is they take Thabeet.  But I honestly don't think he is worth a #2 pick, its just this years draft class sucks
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:29pm
yeah this class does suck.  i think they should take evans and convert him to point guard.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by craigalicious

yeah this class does suck.  i think they should take evans and convert him to point guard.

Thats actually the last person I would take in their shoes.  Evans will never be a point guard, and they already have OJ Mayo in the back court.  I can't think of a single tweener ever that went into the pro's and learned how to be a point guard, with the possible exception of Chancey Billups, and he was primarily a point guard before anyway. 

I do like Evans a lot, I think he has a pro game and will do well at the next level.  He may even play point here and there, but its not his natural position. 

Unfortunately, he won't be as good as Wade either, who people are trying to compare him too.  They are very similar in build, but Evans can't jump.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 1:45pm
Looks like the VC trade is official now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4287197

The New Jersey Nets have traded Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to the Orlando Magic for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee.
www.chargeharder.com
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 1:48pm
any news on rondo? it better be someone good...

and dang VC in orlando... like everyone said that's gonna be a tough team..
I really liked courtnry lee tho!

and just for fun... I can't believe grant hill is still playing!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 1:52pm
I can.

Grant Hill basically got five years off.  So even though he is old, he doesn't have much mileage on him.  Once they figured out the problem and got hm strong again.  It doesn't surprise me at all that he can keep going.  He is about the same size he has always been, and doesn't appear to be in bad shape at all.

In a way, I kinda want Portland to try and sign him for some verteran leadership and to be the secondary ball handler that we need so we can run a big guard offense.
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 1:53pm
so you think he's got a few more years left?
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 2:02pm

My goodness....

Superman + Superman....
Orlando is gonna have a dunk fest. Not as flashy a VC and Lebron coulda been but still...
Watch out, Orlando is going to come in hard next season.

Courtney Lee choked in the finals, if that was VC doing the alleyhoop, he woulda dunked that straight in probably LOL (j/k)

VC to Orlando i see is a short term thing, just testing it out how it'll go. I think this trade is simliar to AI and billups.
Go Canucks!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by myach

so you think he's got a few more years left?

Hill could probably play three more years at 30 minutes a game.  He can't play 40+ a night, but he is in phenomenal shape.  Could easily play the veteran captain on a young team.  He is also playing right now because he loves basketball.  Not for money.  That makes a huge difference as far as productivity goes.  He is out there simply because he wants to play ball. 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 2:53pm
I like Harden to OKC.  Rubio dropping.  I wonder if the Kings are going to follow the plan and take him, or find a way to shtook it up?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 2:59pm
Damn, the Wolves are gonna get Rubio.

I don't think Evans was a good fit for the Kings.  He is not a point guard, and Kevin Martin has the 2 locked up in Sacramento.  Anyone ever notice there are no highlights of Evans dunking?  I love his game, but he needs to work on being explosive.  He has a solid body though. 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:10pm
Timberwolves now the dumbest team in the draft.  They pick two little point guards in a row?
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:25pm

Timberwolves now the dumbest team in the draft.  They pick two little point guards in a row?

I thought the same thing, then I looked at the guards on their roster.

Bobby Brown
Kevin Ollie
Sebastian Telfair

Still ridiculous picks, but if that was your backcourt...
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:31pm
I think they dealt Rubio and it just hasn't been announced yet. 

Warriors apparently want to piss off every player on their roster as much as possible.  First tell Crawford to opt out because you hate him, next fine, suspend and upset Ellis.  Then draft his replacement after you specifically told him you weren't going to just to piss off the Knicks. 
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:34pm
I am a little upset that the wizards traded the 5th pick when they could have landed rubio.
www.chargeharder.com
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:38pm
The more I think about it, the more I think Rubio was dealt.  The wolves kept the pick they wanted at 6 because you can pay him less.  They were heavily active on the phones today supposedly and there was all kind of talk that they were trying to move something big, then it all stopped suddenly. 

I thought Jennings was going to drop into the high teens. 
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:43pm

I think they dealt Rubio and it just hasn't been announced yet. 

Warriors apparently want to piss off every player on their roster as much as possible.  First tell Crawford to opt out because you hate him, next fine, suspend and upset Ellis.  Then draft his replacement after you specifically told him you weren't going to just to piss off the Knicks. 

Did you see Curry's reaction when they announced his name? Definitely up there among the better "this sucks" reactions.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 3:52pm
Yeah, Golden State is not a happy place right now.

Kinda surprised that hansbrough went that early.  But he will be a decent NBA player. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>