Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 144>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14
    Posted: Today at 1:23pm
Well if you want to stay in shape then wouldn't it be better to go back and forth on the field?  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 10:26pm
Originally posted by JoeyGlazer

Originally posted by Von44

I always hated running up and down the entire rink. That's why I always play goal whenever it came to ball hockey.

And that's why I play ice hockey, you get to coast/glide on the ice.  You still get a good cardio workout going back and forth on the ice but skating is easier than sprinting back and forth.

Same. I found trying to pull off the same dekes from ice doesn't translate very well in ball hockey. Defenders can close the gap much too quickly on foot so it takes some serious stick handling skills to get by imo.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
JoeyGlazer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 5:55am

I always hated running up and down the entire rink. That's why I always play goal whenever it came to ball hockey.

And that's why I play ice hockey, you get to coast/glide on the ice.  You still get a good cardio workout going back and forth on the ice but skating is easier than sprinting back and forth.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:35am
Originally posted by snowbowlmt

I've been playing hockey on a weekly basis for a couple years now when the ice rink is open (about 9 months out of the year) and thats been a tremendous way to stay in good shape. great exercise for the whole body

Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
snowbowlmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
big freakin slot canyon

Quote snowbowlmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2014 at 3:42pm
I've been playing hockey on a weekly basis for a couple years now when the ice rink is open (about 9 months out of the year) and thats been a tremendous way to stay in good shape. great exercise for the whole body
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2014 at 12:16pm
Good to know that the injuries didn't stop you from keep going at it because most people would just quit and never play ever again.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2014 at 10:05am
Thanks again Shaka. That's a tough way to learn however a lot of valuable knowledge gained.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 2:17pm
Years of basketball and quite a few rehab stints with knee injuries!  Learning how to be injury free, faster and stronger has taught me a lot.  
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 12:17pm
Wow, someone certainly did his research.  I like how they're all exercises you can do in the comfort of your home except for the box jumps unless you have boxes at home.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 11:17am

Thank you so much Shaka!!! Can't wait to get started now.

Btw, how often do I have to train for? Not like I have that kind of time but just wondering. I would think doing this everyday would hurt the progression instead, no?

As in how often should you be lifting?  That's actually a very complicated discussion.  Some people can lift every day of the week, others three days a week and both get the same results.  It has a lot to do with your diet, sleep patterns, and genetic traits.  I only actually lift 3 to 4 days a week, the other days are cardio/agility etc.  In the past, I've lifted as often as six days per week. I suggest you get on bodybuilding.com, drink some coffee, and pour over the thousands of threads debating that one.

As far as plyo's though, no more than three times a week.  You have to understand the forces on your joints are WAY higher than lifting, because it's a sharp and explosive movement.  I remember reading that every time Barry Sanders cut/changed direction playing football, over 650 pounds of force was applied to the knee joint.  Think about that, then think about how easy it is to simply jump or cut.  I believe in Tim Grover's book he said something like no more than 300 "touches" per workout.  I'm going off memory though and probably wrong.  It's very easy to overtrain on them because you don't feel the fatigue the same way you normally would.  And you probably won't notice it until you actually tear something.  

Regular weight lifting will actually help with recovery from your plyo workouts.  They really do kind of go hand in hand.  
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

you calling me fat?

Just big boned!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 10:35am
Thank you so much Shaka!!! Can't wait to get started now.

Btw, how often do I have to train for? Not like I have that kind of time but just wondering. I would think doing this everyday would hurt the progression instead, no?
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 10:20am
Originally posted by MrStak

went to the gym for the first time in about a month (wedding planning) with the wife. man i'm feeling it in my legs today. DOMS is in full effect today. 

DOMS? Confused

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

it's the soreness you get the second day after a hard workout. If you've ever noticed the second day, you feel more beat up than the first...haha that's cuz of DOMS

Didn't know there was an acronym for that. lol And yes, I hate when I get that from working out. Always gave me trouble when I worked out that day. But you gotta push yourself, otherwise, I feel it's all a waste of time.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:41am
you calling me fat?
x_X
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2014 at 8:38am
You should probably start noticing small differences within a couple weeks.  As far as huge gains, it's going to depend on your level of dedication.  If you are really on it, along with all of your other fitness, I would think you should be able to add several inches in 90 days or so.  It's hard for me to say really.  We all have that friend that goes to the gym every week and always looks the same because they don't really push themselves.  Try adding 2.5 percent to your lifts weekly.
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 9:35pm
thanks shaka for the plyo exercises...definitely gonna try them out. how long would you say you need to do the exercises before seeing/experiencing significant vertical gains?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

For a guy that never actually hits the gym, Shaka knows what he's talking about. 

Don't you have a bomb threat to be calling in to the Special Olympics?

Sig line is awesome though.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 4:56pm
For a guy that never actually hits the gym, Shaka knows what he's talking about. 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 1:43pm
Eff' it, I keep forgetting to PM you guys.  

For legs, figure out whatever your routine is.  But make sure it incorporates these lifts:

-squats
-clean
-deadlift

Lift as heavy as possible for low amounts of reps.  I usually do five sets of six.  I also add in additional stuff for leg days like lunges, romanian deads, single leg squats etc.  But you build power through lifting a ton of weight, and start with the heaviest lifts first, then do your other lifts (i.e., the three I listed)

Plyo's, for these DO NOT OVERDO IT!  Most people overtrain with plyos because you don't feel the effects initially.  Remember, these are all done for speed, as fast as possible and as explosive as possible.  

-depth jumps.  Make sure you EXPLODE up after touching the ground, don't linger.  Try and be on the ground for as little time as possible. 3x10 at most.

-Don't know what it's called but rapidly jump up and tap something over and over.  I use the backboard or rim.  Arms straight up over your head.  Jump as high as you can, but this is more of a bouncing move.  Don't let your heels touch the ground.  I've found you need a target or something to touch at your peak to keep form and for motivation.  Do about 30 seconds to a minute straight.  One minute rest.  No more than five sets.  This will wear you the hell out.  Again, it's a bounce, touch the ground for as little time as possible.  You will find that you actually jump highest when you are bending your legs around 15 degrees or so, maybe a couple inches.  After a few times you find the groove and you will find it's pretty impressive how high you can get with what seems like a ton less effort.  

-broad jump.  Get in an athletic stance, jump forward as far/high as possible.  Key here is to swing your arms and legs into the jump.  You arms are actually responsible for as much as 15 percent of your leaping force.  You need to train your entire body to drive itself in the direction you want to go.  Note in the video above, my feet kick up very sharply and quickly as I'm getting towards the peak.  Watch high flying basketball or volleyball players in slow motion and you will see their arms and legs are still moving upwards when their body momentum is starting to slow.  This is why they appear to "hang" in the air.  Their center of gravity is still actually going up at this exact moment, even though their physical body is at it's peak.  Do this for half the length of a basketball court or some other distance of roughly 50 feet.  Warning, this is going to wear you the hell out.  5-10 sets.

-Box jumps.  DO NOT overdo this.  Start small and work your way up.  Everyone wants to try and jump 60 inches right off the bat and first time you catch your feet and land on your head you will regret that one.  As with the other workouts, you are training your nervous system to explode, so no "winding" up into your jump.  Start in a mild athletic stance, feet shoulder width apart.  Rapidly descend and explode.  Suck your knees up as you jump, this allows you to get on top of a higher box, as well as starts training your body to move all it's mass upwards.  Don't worry, you won't quite try and tuck them later on while playing sports, but you kinda have to exaggerate some things for it to take hold.

With all of these, think of landing as light as possible, like a cat.  You shouldn't hear the sound of your shoes smacking into the ground hard.

Finally, switch your cardio to jump rope.  Try for 6 sessions of 3 minutes with a 1 minute break in between.  There is a reason why boxers train this way, it wears you the hell out and trains you to be light on your feet.  Plus burns tons of calories. 

There are tons of things you can do, Tim Grover has a good book, or the vertical jump bible.  It's all the same thing though when it comes to plyos, you are really training for speed, so keep that in mind at all times.  
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 10:36am

lol lightning

shaka, can you shoot me a pm as well? i do my squats and deadlifts and such. need some plyo routines. 

Forgot to shoot this off to you and Von, will do shortly.  

Here is the video from that pic actually, note it's a very quick motion, very little compression of the legs before springing up.

MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2014 at 6:10am

went to the gym for the first time in about a month (wedding planning) with the wife. man i'm feeling it in my legs today. DOMS is in full effect today. 

DOMS? Confused

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

it's the soreness you get the second day after a hard workout. If you've ever noticed the second day, you feel more beat up than the first...haha that's cuz of DOMS
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 4:04pm
Damn basketball games are the reason I haven't had a vball practice in over 2 weeks. Some stupid rule about no practices while a home game is going on. More running it is tonight i guess.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 3:57pm

DOMS? Confused
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 11:48am
Reasons why I avoid joining a gym, it's wasted money if you don't go.  I prefer working out at home and running around the neighborhood.
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 6:55am
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 12:53pm
I'll show you how it's done son!  LOL

MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 8:07am
gonna look into vertical jump bible after i get all my house stuff sorted out. worried about my knees though so we'll see how far i can go with it.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2014 at 6:33am
^ that's the spirit! Nothing is impossible. Show us how it's done AMY!!! LOL
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2014 at 12:49pm
Well nothing is impossible, I believe the shortest person to be able to dunk was like 4'11 whereas short NBA dunkers are like 5'7 and under.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2014 at 2:51pm
Vball practice got cancelled last minute. Gonna go for a run then some core workouts.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2014 at 12:52pm
lol lightning

shaka, can you shoot me a pm as well? i do my squats and deadlifts and such. need some plyo routines. 
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2014 at 11:55am
Shaka was actually the guy in the blue short bending down, the guy hanging on the rim was just photobombing Wink
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2014 at 11:14am

^ Idk what it is but you make it sound so easy! Wish I had learned this all back in high school.

And do you think you can you pm me a workout schedule for strength and plyos?

Lol, like many things in life.  It's simple, but it's not easy.  It's just building a routine, and even more than that, a thought process.  

I'll shoot you some stuff in a little bit when I'm  not driving.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 3:23pm
^ Idk what it is but you make it sound so easy! Wish I had learned this all back in high school.

And do you think you can you pm me a workout schedule for strength and plyos?
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 3:16pm
I really got into the science behind jumping in high school.  Freshman year I had a 12 inch vertical leap, just after high school I hit my eyebrow on the rim (still have the scar).  I'm easilly a foot off that now, but still a lot higher than most.  I intend to get it back once my back heals.  It's a simple process once you understand the componants that go into it.  Side benefit is the overal strength, speed and agility you will attain.  

Simple, but not easy though.  Still a lot of work.  
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 3:05pm
I've had friends that bought Jumpsoles and realized that it was all a gimmick and a huge waste of money. Not to mention you'll look stupid wearing them.

Thanks Shaka, I was looking into the Jump Manual and you pretty much summed up everything it talks about. Need to make some time to add another 2-3 inches of hop for volleyball for now then slowly build on that. Would be nice to dunk some day and be a dominant force on the court.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 2:48pm
Jumpsoles don't really work.  You don't see any NBA players actually wearing them that aren't paid to wear them.  They mostly build calves, which are not a primary component of vertical leap.  In fact, your arms supply nearly as much aid as your calves do (momentum with swinging them upwards)  

Hops are easy, you have to shock your central nervous system with heavy loads and train heavy weights with low reps.  Then follow that up with some plyometric work.  Don't overdo plyos!   

So basically squats, cleans and deadlifts for strength, plyo's for speed. 5 sets, 5-6 reps per set.  Push yourself!The combination of strength and speed is power, and that's what you want to develop. Most train one or the other.  That's why you see guys squatting 500 that are only slightly above average leapers.  The majority of your leaping ability is in your posterior chain, so stick that ass out while lifting.  Most importantly, get out there and JUMP!  Nothing simulates trying to get above the rim like actually trying to get above the rim.  Hopefully my back heals in a couple weeks, I'll take a video of me dunking off my vertical, no drop step or anything.  The other thing to understand is that your muscles, tendons etc are all like a rubber band.  The faster you snap a rubber band, the more it reacts back the other way.  You decent into your jump is the foundation from which all the following power will come from.  You have to learn to descend and explode as quickly as possible.  The other thing is you don't need to compress all the way the hell down to do this, maybe a couple inches.  I see people all the time preparing to jump by squatting really low (and slowly) where as it looks crazy because I compress as little as possible and "spring" straight up before they are even accellerating back upwards.   
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 12:11pm
Damn son, those look so legit!  LOL
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 1:25am
^angry

Jumpsoles know Wat I'm siyin.

11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 4:16pm
Should the elderly really be jumping?  LOL  I would think jumping boxes would help with verts.
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 12:19pm
haven't been to the gym for about a month now. wedding planning got in the way of everything. i got no excuse now. i'm gonna head back to the gym on monday. 

damn shaka...you can dunk? share some tips for boosting your vertical if you have any? although at this point, my knees have been giving me pains after a good hard day at the park playing bball...freaking old age. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Shakazulu

Been a long time with a lot of work stuff gong crazy the past couple years.  Been back at the gym religiously since then.  Earlier this year (march or April I believe) I was down to 144 pounds.  And not in a good way, stress, no exercise etc.  

Anyhow, back up to 174 as of this morning doing nothing but compound lifts and spin for cardio.  Back injury has hampered me a lot recently, but I still managed to pull this off a few weeks ago with basically no power in my right leg.

Dayum! For a 5'11" that can dunk.... that's awesome!

You got any plyo exercises to share? Need some serious work on my vertical.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2014 at 3:00pm

Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

What's the Rocky 4 sit up?   The only work out I remember from any Rocky is the stair run and dead cow punching bag.  LOL

Probably not the correct name for it but here it is.

AMY - plz translate what the camera guy was saying.

Oh, dragon flag~ but Bruce Lee did it much better and correct.  LOL

The camera guy said he's filming this to show his friend because his friend doesn't believe he can do it.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2014 at 11:57am
Been a long time with a lot of work stuff gong crazy the past couple years.  Been back at the gym religiously since then.  Earlier this year (march or April I believe) I was down to 144 pounds.  And not in a good way, stress, no exercise etc.  

Anyhow, back up to 174 as of this morning doing nothing but compound lifts and spin for cardio.  Back injury has hampered me a lot recently, but I still managed to pull this off a few weeks ago with basically no power in my right leg.

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

What's the Rocky 4 sit up?   The only work out I remember from any Rocky is the stair run and dead cow punching bag.  LOL

Probably not the correct name for it but here it is.

AMY - plz translate what the camera guy was saying.

Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 11:59am
lolollll... i can't wait to tell people about the all new dead cow punching bag workout routine!

btw... who wouldn't want to train more like Drago anyway?? 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 11:42am
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 10:46am
Made the cut last night but my body is super sore today! It's tough keeping up with the youngsters these days. I need to sit in an epsom salt bath.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 3:39pm
Or the Rocky 4 sit-ups! Those are crazy!

Goin for the school volleyball tryouts tonight. This should be interesting.
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:53am
Try v sit ups.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 144>