Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 123124125126127 143>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JAMM0N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12
    Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 1:20pm
wait you guys want to lose weight. I'm trying to GAIN weight. give me your fat
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 2:04pm
You don't want fat mate, eat shitloads of the right food and lift weights. Chuck on some lean muscle
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 4:36pm
Chicken. TONS of chicken. Not fried though.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 4:53pm
White meat, not to be racist. Wink  Builds muscle quite fast if you train properly.  I much prefer dark meat myself, tastier!!!
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
rideclaps802 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 8:58am
Eat candy, lots and lots of candy
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 9:30am
Originally posted by rideclaps802

Eat candy, lots and lots of candy

Sadly, this is me right now.  Cry  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 9:32am
Protein. Never stop eating protein. I put on 40 lb this past year in muscle. My sister in law is a personal trainer and she said to just eat everythign in site that is protein. It worked.
rideclaps802 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 6:17am
this is what i found a while ago, http://ezinearticles.com/?Snowboard-Workout-For-Summer&id=1214494 
JRHolloway91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cheesin it up in the dorm

Quote JRHolloway91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 8:28am
A little late but I just started getting in shape for the season. Nothing too crazy though. I've been following a routine on bodybuilder.com or something like that. Includes squat jumps, abs, push-ups, and calf raises. I do it like 3 times a week. Like I said, nothing too crazy but better late than never
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by JRHolloway91

A little late but I just started getting in shape for the season. Nothing too crazy though. I've been following a routine on bodybuilder.com or something like that. Includes squat jumps, abs, push-ups, and calf raises. I do it like 3 times a week. Like I said, nothing too crazy but better late than never

Something is better than nothing.  Clap  You might want to throw burpees in the mix as well when you're up to it.
nalhcal View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nalhcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 3:24pm
Eat loads of sweet potatos.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 4:42pm
I've been taking Chia Seeds lately and they are great for energy as well as hydration.  You can usually get them at Whole Foods.  You just put a tablespoon in a glass of water and let it sit for about ten minutes and then drink.  I've been taking it before any kind of cardio and it seems to be helping out.
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by letourneau41

I've been taking Chia Seeds lately and they are great for energy as well as hydration.  You can usually get them at Whole Foods.  You just put a tablespoon in a glass of water and let it sit for about ten minutes and then drink.  I've been taking it before any kind of cardio and it seems to be helping out.

Can it just be all mental thinking. The fact that you buy them and wait ten minutes. Then your mind wants to believe they work so you push yourself harder. Either way, if you are seeing results, thats great.
wolvyne View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Type Hard

Quote wolvyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 12:51pm
If you do a quick google search you'll see all the health benefits from chia seeds.  They are a great item to have in your regular diet.
Fighting crime is best done from the fetal position
Lyedroth View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Lyedroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 12:55pm
I've never seen an energy boost from chia seeds, but they are amazing for you. i just like to work out everyday switch between cardio and lifting, with sundays off
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Lyedroth

I've never seen an energy boost from chia seeds, but they are amazing for you. i just like to work out everyday switch between cardio and lifting, with sundays off

Yeah Ill look up the facts on that.
Cardio is so important and its nice to see how you switch back and forth from cardio and lifting. I know need to do more cardio but its kind of hard running in the cold oregon weather.

I do go to the gym on mondays to play basketball, which is a great workout.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by MathiasM

Protein. Never stop eating protein. I put on 40 lb this past year in muscle. My sister in law is a personal trainer and she said to just eat everythign in site that is protein. It worked.

If I did this I would be broke in the first month. Then again, if I buy my own food and cook it that'll be a bit more affordable. I have the motivation but I can't cook! Cry
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 7:59am
Originally posted by haiv143

If I did this I would be broke in the first month. Then again, if I buy my own food and cook it that'll be a bit more affordable. I have the motivation but I can't cook! Cry

Cooking is easy. Chicken is incredibly cheap and easy to cook, plus there are so many different ways to make it. You'll save money and know exactly what goes into your meal.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Superorb

Cooking is easy. Chicken is incredibly cheap and easy to cook, plus there are so many different ways to make it. You'll save money and know exactly what goes into your meal.

Agreed. Chicken is pretty cheap. So far the best meal I can cook is to pan seared the chicken then grilling it. It keeps the chicken nice and moist. My other chicken dishes are always dry. bleh!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 10:27am

I just buy chicken and toss it in the super wave oven and it comes out tasting like fried chicken without the oil.  LOL
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 6:21am
I have always been a big workout person but never really a supplements person. does anyone have any experience with metabolism boosters that contain hefty amounts of niacin
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 8:18pm
I ran 4.09 miles yesterday. My average mile time was 8.41
This could of been better if I didnt have to stop to wait for all those cross walks, but either way, Im pretty happy with the results.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:42pm
Im a college student and I afford and make my own protein packed foods all the time. Buying a huge tub of protein mix off amazon is worth it. It breaks down to like a dollar a day or something per shake. Its great for before or after workouts. Then there is creatine. Huge boost in my experience with recovery time. When all considered its not THAT expensive. Ya more so then buying random crap but in the long run its worth it.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 9:31am
Originally posted by humblerooster

I ran 4.09 miles yesterday. My average mile time was 8.41
This could of been better if I didnt have to stop to wait for all those cross walks, but either way, Im pretty happy with the results.

That's some crazy mileage. I tried running in the summer for about a month and get up to 1.5 miles (never ran before.) I was very happy about that. Haven't ran since because of the heat and I should probably start soon for the snowboarding season.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 10:37am
Hey Mathias a little heads up on the protein. there was an article posted in mens fitness about 2 months ago regarding certain brands of Whey that they may be taking off the market because of what they contain.

on a side not if you are using it as a sub for food just know if its containing amounts of creatine if you are NOT working out you will be gaining a lot of water weight
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by scuddera

I have always been a big workout person but never really a supplements person. does anyone have any experience with metabolism boosters that contain hefty amounts of niacin

Have you tried looking around at www.bodybuilding.com? They have tons of reviews of stuff, and show ingredients for all products they sell. Also, they have three shipping facilities located throughout the country, so where ever you live, it gets to ya quick :)
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 8:12am
I went on another run. I got 3.5 miles with an average mile on 7:41, This average is one minute before than my first run. I feel great abbout but my legs are SUPER sore.
bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 7:14pm
I notice that a lot of people seem to be distance running.  While this is good for the heart it's not that great for the joints.  I would recommend sprinting because with sprinting one pretty much naturally lands of the front of the foot which helps absorb a lot of the shock reducing the stress on joints.  
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 3:32am
Just started getting back to the gym to do some running, trying to get in shape before a week long trip to Jackson Hole.  I am in decent shape, but nowhere near what I want to be.  What are some good workouts to get in shape for snowboarding.  Thinking lunges, squats, calf raises, core, and running.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Commissar

Just started getting back to the gym to do some running, trying to get in shape before a week long trip to Jackson Hole.  I am in decent shape, but nowhere near what I want to be.  What are some good workouts to get in shape for snowboarding.  Thinking lunges, squats, calf raises, core, and running.

Power squats and burpees.
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 12:00am
bubbagooch: Would you recommend swimming over long distance running?
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Never heard of burpees...  care to elaborate.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 6:58am

Never heard of burpees...  care to elaborate.

You can make them more difficult by doing a pushup when you're in position, but these things will get your heart rate going in a hurry!

Absolutely. Swimming will engage a lot more muscle groups, and you'll get a lot more WORKout for the time spent doing it. Bubba's recommendation for sprinting is exactly correct. Not only is it better on the joints, it uses bursts of energy which will improve muscle growth. Humans are one of the only mammals on the planet that train for/do endurance workouts  (i.e. marathons/iron man competiions, etc.). And if you look at the difference in physical form between a marathon runner and a sprinter. I wouldn't say the "look" on the left is the goal of many in this thread.

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 7:27am
^^^^ I would definitely agree with your thought behind swimming but over all goal needs to be looked at. Swimming endurance and running endurance are pretty different. If you are getting ready for the snowboarding season swimming would be more of a recovery workout. When snowboarding your legs are going to take a pounding via.. stabilizing you through many different groups or landing off jumps or rails. Running would be better at replicating that.

That being said.. As someone that has done a 70.3 ironman swimming is a huge part of your training and can burn a lot of calories, strengthen your core and build total body muscle
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 7:35am
Burpees FTW, those are great cardio.  Makes me dizzy if I do too many!

Last season I ruptured a disc in my back and since then I've been doing back strengthening exercises every day to strengthen my core.  It's something I never really bothered with (who works out their back, seriously) but it makes a massive difference to overall fitness.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 9:22am
Nice posts, guys :).
Scud is right; If you're looking to just be training to be fit/ready for snowboard season, swimming probably isn't your best "go-to". But it is great for overall fitness.
One snowboard-centric exercise I have grown to really enjoy are Bosu ball squats. They are an EXCELLENT way to build stabilizer muscles and strengthen the core.

A number of google image results show people doing the squat with the flat side down, but  I've never tried it. You can add weight (dumbbells) to make this more difficult, but I'd recommend starting with just body weight; get your form down first :)

And Coop is right, too! Your spine is your lifeline, and bulking all the show-off muscles (bi's, tri's, chest, legs) don't do a whole lot if the muscles supporting your spine have been neglected. Definitely don't overdo it though. If you're doing a back workout and feel like you have more in you, do a few more reps; don't slap another 50 pounds on the barbell and hurt yourself!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 9:38am
I think burpees are the best all around work out because it works everything and yeah I can't do too many at once either haha.  LOL
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 10:36am

I think burpees are the best all around work out because it works everything and yeah I can't do too many at once either haha.  LOL

Idk I think I would rather do a sequence of push ups(20), no weight squats (50), and pull ups (10). 5 sets no breaks ever... just keep going. I think form starts to faulter to much in burpees when you get around 30
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 7:13pm

Even though j_lucky84 answered for me, I would like to say, yes.  Swimming is way better than long distance running, if not for the fact that it has zero impact on on the joints, then for the fact that if you swim a lot, you will get jacked shoulders.  They probably won't get like Dwight Howard, but they will get bigger than they are now.  
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by bubbagooch

Even though j_lucky84 answered for me, I would like to say, yes.  Swimming is way better than long distance running, if not for the fact that it has zero impact on on the joints, then for the fact that if you swim a lot, you will get jacked shoulders.  They probably won't get like Dwight Howard, but they will get bigger than they are now.  

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

i dont really like swimming because of the Chlorine. It ruins your hair and even after a shower, you can still smell like it.

But I am interested in Sprints. I never did them because I was always so focused on longer distance running. So sprints build explosion reactions in your legs right? does that mean you will be able to jump higher if you do alot of sprints?
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 5:41am

i dont really like swimming because of the Chlorine. It ruins your hair and even after a shower, you can still smell like it.

I grew up in south Florida and LIVED in the pool, I'm talking several hours almost every day. Nothing wrong with my hair then or now, my twin brother is fine too and he spent just as much time in the pool as me. If your hair still smells like chlorine after a shower there is too much chlorine in that pool.
Snow Day Colorado

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 6:05am
^^^^FYI a lot of gyms these days have switched to salt water pools because they are easier to clean, maintain, cheaper, and they are supposed to be lower impact on the body because you bouyancy.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 6:28am
Originally posted by bubbagooch

Sorry Bubba! Didn't mean to steal your flame! Just saw the post and was here so figured I'd chime in :).

But I am interested in Sprints. I never did them because I was always so focused on longer distance running. So sprints build explosion reactions in your legs right? does that mean you will be able to jump higher if you do alot of sprints?

I'm not sure about this one. I've been trying to work on my vertical as well (I am one of those white men who can't jump lol). Been doing leg presses, squats, leg extensions and lunges. Sprinting will definitely develop explosive power within the muscles, so i can see where it might help with your vertical. Maybe i should give it a go :) I found a really cool sprinting interval workout on bodybuilding.com a couple months back, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I have it printed off at home though, so i may see if i can search more specifically and repost it here :)
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 6:31am
So i dont have anytime to get to the gym anymore, because ive been swamped with school. What can i do for about 15-30 mins a day to get back in snowboard shape.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 7:25am
Originally posted by mollicap16

So i dont have anytime to get to the gym anymore, because ive been swamped with school. What can i do for about 15-30 mins a day to get back in snowboard shape.

1 min no weight squats (just up and down as many times as you can for a min)... 30s rest ... push ups 1min(as many as you can).. no break.. 30s flutter kicks...30s lateral scissors... 30s break... 1 min wall sits ... 30s break ... push ups 1 min .... 1 min sit ups...30s rest... 1min each leg warrior 2 (yoga move)

Thats 9 mins the remainer of your time available you can mix in core moves, pull ups, a run, lunges, whatever you want. That 9 min is enough to hit your legs hard enough and build some cardio. Good Luck
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 7:51am

Hello, Humble.  

I'm not certain about the jumping higher, but it seems reasonable.  I think that coupled with heavy squats and actually jumping will likely help you to jump higher.  Should probably throw in some core  work as well.  I would research online if you are interested in being able to increase your hops.

Originally posted by j_lucky84

Sorry Bubba! Didn't mean to steal your flame! Just saw the post and was here so figured I'd chime in :).

No worries, J.  I was just bustin' your chops.  Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 10:12am
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

EZIA Snowboard Training
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 10:59am
Originally posted by gunda pickle

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

EZIA Snowboard Training

Holy crap, that is some intense work out!  The sliding thing looks fun to do though.  LOL
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 11:46am
Thanks for the advice guys, got some things to try.  I did some swimming in the summer, worked out well.  Hell of a workout, but now I am going to the gym before work, and the pool isn't open at 6:00.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 10:13pm
Starting to get my vibe back. Able to do 20 pull ups again, hopefully I can do 3 reps/workout. Does anyone know why some people do those half assed pull ups? like pull all the way up and go down half way (your elbow is 90degrees, then pulling back up) and they do them really fast. To me, it defeat the purpose of a "pull up" kinda cheating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 143>