The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 125126127128129 142>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12
    Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Superorb

Originally posted by snowflakez

simple jogging for extended period=great workout
Yup. ANY activity is better than no activity.

That is very true. Start small and work your way up. Slow and steady wins the race.

I start by doing nice and easy jogs and then when a week passes I bump it up a little each time. Before you know it, you're losing fat, gaining muscle and feeling great.
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2012 at 11:59am
jogged up and down a steep hill today. i think i overdid it
mike-de-tacoma View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mike-de-tacoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 11:43am
Finally got on the snow yesterday. Every part of my body is sore, in a good way -- definitely feeling the results of 6 months of inactivity.

What are the "burpee" exercises I've seen mentioned here a couple of times?
Opinions I express are my own, and have nothing to do with my employers.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 1:04pm
did a small set of squats and inner core.
my last core session was a lot better.. i think i missed a couple of exercises.
Finished a Yoga Nidra class, literally laid there for 45mins, the back of my head started to hurt.
I don't think that's normal.
Come Monday got a another class booked in.
macfoster2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote macfoster2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by mike-de-tacoma

Finally got on the snow yesterday. Every part of my body is sore, in a good way -- definitely feeling the results of 6 months of inactivity.

burpees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M
macfoster2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote macfoster2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by macfoster2

burpees

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 8:23pm

burpees

Burpees comes in modified forms as well so you can get more intense if you wanted to.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
mike-de-tacoma View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mike-de-tacoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

[...] What are the "burpee" exercises I've seen mentioned here a couple of times?

burpees

Burpees comes in modified forms as well so you can get more intense if you wanted to.

Thanks. Looks kind of like a push-up followed by a jumping jack.   
If that doesn't get me in shape, nothing will!   
Opinions I express are my own, and have nothing to do with my employers.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 9:02am
Just finished up a cardio strength class. 
and its determined.. I am so outta shape! such a struggle to get through the exercises..
the girls in the class were kicking my ass
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 9:44am
The boys and I had a pull up competition resently, and I am so sore.
The structure was this.
Everyone does one pull up
then two
then three
Once you get to 8's you are so dead.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 11:16am
I know I can do over 10 pull-ups, but probably not after doing 1,2,3,4 etc. I rode Friday and Saturday. Played soccer yesterday and by the second half my legs were just dead.

I may need to look into hgh or something...
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 2:20pm
that sounds like a lot of pull ups...
I feel so exhausted right now.. hopefully get a good nights sleep? Did yet another class today, called elite core. Instructor went easy on us but I was still dying.
Mixture of pilates, yoga and crunches, not sure if we were suppose to bring in our belly button the whole time throughout all the exercises.. For sure I didn't and it was hard as is..
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2012 at 7:00pm
I stepped up my game today-went for a run, did weight training, and ended with a swim
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by timpiper

I stepped up my game today-went for a run, did weight training, and ended with a swim

Keep that up every week and you'll be in the best shape of your life. I hate working out in the winter. It gets dark here at 4pm and I just get lazy and tired.
chhummystar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chhummystar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 1:39am
going to squeeze in a wee bit more cardio by taking out the dog to walk in the morning and or in the evening.
I'll want to up the activity a little more, but I'm taking baby steps.
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by chhummystar

going to squeeze in a wee bit more cardio by taking out the dog to walk in the morning and or in the evening.
I'll want to up the activity a little more, but I'm taking baby steps.

yea after increasing the duration you should try jogging.
i jog with my dog sometimes. keeps both of us in shape
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 4:18am
^^ hate jogging in the winter. My joints stiffen up and it hurts. Also, i get this hot, itchy, rashy sensation between my thighs. Anyone know what it is and how to stop it from hurting when I jog on the cold days?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 5:11am
Originally posted by haiv143

^^ hate jogging in the winter. My joints stiffen up and it hurts. Also, i get this hot, itchy, rashy sensation between my thighs. Anyone know what it is and how to stop it from hurting when I jog on the cold days?

I believe that is called herpes.  You can go to a doctor or clinic for treatment.  My advice, stay away from crack-whores.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 8:52am
LMAO! ^

Finished a Gravity class yesterday and my butt is sore, quads are sore inner thigh is sore. all getting ready for the season with stronger legs!
Gonna sign in for a class tonight to do Barre and finish up with Infrared Yoga.
This past week been going in overdrive , pushing and pushing, whole body is so sore.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 11:07am
Took yesterday to rest. Looks like today is more of the same.. 
My body is feeling achy but not in the sore kinda way after a workout..the bad kind.
Stopped taking pain meds so now I'm feeling the full blunt of it?
ahhh....fml
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 8:40am
Originally posted by ctoma

I believe that is called herpes.  You can go to a doctor or clinic for treatment.  My advice, stay away from crack-whores.

LOL, guilty as charged.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 1:46pm
Im finding it very difficult to stay in the kind of shape i prefer to be in when im working 6 days a freakin' week
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 8:28am
^ you're gonna need some extreme time management.

Just took a ballet workout kinda class... so man leg workouts I'm gonna be so burnt out for riding!, expecting to go tmr if everything pans out.
also used some kettle bellls and did the infamous kettle bell swings.. i was so concerned that I would throw out my shoulder and my lower back!! so far its good, don't feel sore yet ( =

Got appt to go so the physio later on in the day as well can't wait! i really hope its good.. but i'm going in with low expectations.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 8:49am

Im finding it very difficult to stay in the kind of shape i prefer to be in when im working 6 days a freakin' week

Desk job, Tim? Perhaps if ya could find a local gym that did some sort of circuit training class (effectively working all muscles to some degree in one workout session). They're not gonna get ya all buff, but they only take about an hour, and they're GREAT to burn calories and tone things up.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

Desk job, Tim? Perhaps if ya could find a local gym that did some sort of circuit training class (effectively working all muscles to some degree in one workout session). They're not gonna get ya all buff, but they only take about an hour, and they're GREAT to burn calories and tone things up.

There are work out routines you can do while working a desk job, although I don't think people around you would want to smell your smelly pits afterwards.  LOL
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 10:28am

There are work out routines you can do while working a desk job, although I don't think people around you would want to smell your smelly pits afterwards.  LOL

Have you guys tried the app Office-fit? It has like workout stuff for people in the office environment. Pretty sweet
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 10:32am

Speaking of working out at your desk job....have you guys heard of the app Office-fit? It's a app for working out/stretching in an office environment.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 12:01pm
A sweaty office environment would get people so mad tho. I recommend making a little time after work each day, start with 10 mins and see how that feels, then work your way up.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 12:07pm
let's see what work outs did I get in the passed couple of days.
did some relaxing yoga class of stretching after a day out riding. really helped with keeping the soreness down. 
Day before that did a JOGA class yes not yoga but Joga, seems to be the popular thing around here.
Did some inner core today and tried to do some light rock climbing. Trying to be nice to my shoulder but its so hard.
Gonna end up working lower half today later on in a Yogilates class, this will be very interesting.
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:55pm
We would recommend anyone that can spare half an hour to do yoga. We cant believe how much better we feel after a day's riding if we have done some yoga. No aches or pains, try it guys and let us know how you get on
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:56pm
We would recommend anyone that can spare half an hour to do yoga. We cant believe how much better we feel after a day's riding if we have done some yoga. No aches or pains, try it guys and let us know how you get on
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 1:03pm
A great half hour workout is to just crank the treadmill up as inclined as it will go and walk at the fastest pace you can. Gets the heart pumping and you sweat it out
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

A great half hour workout is to just crank the treadmill up as inclined as it will go and walk at the fastest pace you can. Gets the heart pumping and you sweat it out

personally i enjoy outside runs more. fresh air and no need for a machine.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by snowflakez

personally i enjoy outside runs more. fresh air and no need for a machine.

I prefer outside runs/walks, but when winter weather hits this town, NO ONE takes care of their sidewalks. so breaking an ankle is almost an imminent possibility. My gf is a beast on the incline treadmill. does about 3-4 miles a day. I prefer sprinting workouts over walking, but the treadmills at my gym are a bit too slow for my sprinting speed (and a more valid argument is.. im too clumsy to start and stop at it's full speed lol)
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 6:59am
treadmills are the worst, if all you're looking for is an increased heartrate.. sure I guess it'll accomplish that but that's it. I find its a waste of time, best just take a stroll outside.

I can't believe I woke up this morning to do a kettle bell & trx class.. my lower back is now aching...it was quite an intense workout. Cardio, weights, core. only thing was missing. the stretches. Attempted to do that on my own afterwards and now i'm freakin exhausted..wanna take a nap
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 7:17am
I'm always surprised at the hill how no one ever stretches before going down the hill. I am the only one ever stretching. I'm getting old though (31) so anything I can do to prevent injury I'm all for.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 4:00pm
I used to stretch for a good 5-10mins before hitting the hills.. now I just do a quick leg stretch and i'm off. getting too lazy and anxious to ride!

Did my workout today doing some moving, in the winter weather! hope my lower back doesn't start to hurt acks
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 5:28pm
I've been lazy for the last two weeks because of xmas and "the end of the world" thing. Even skip my routine pushups too. Hopefully I'll get back to the routine right after xmas.
rosati777 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 9:55am

I've been lazy for the last two weeks because of xmas and "the end of the world" thing. Even skip my routine pushups too. Hopefully I'll get back to the routine right after xmas.

That's no excuse. I've been slacking a bit too but if you don't do anything now while it's the holiday its no good. You might as well get back into it now. That's what I'm gonna do. Especially I tend to eat a lot of junk food and cookies for the holidays

GET CRACKIN' MAN!
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 4:29pm
Feeling the christmas bulge need to get the exercise and diet going again during Jan.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:46pm
I recently came across the original BodyRock girl's new youtube page:

Zuzana Light was WAY better than the new BodyRock girl... and I'm glad I came across her new website, she's motivating me to get back into it... might just be THE new year's resolution for me.  No expensive apparatus, just pure body weight resistance.  That's the way to go!  I want to be super toned... should help me a lot on the hill too.
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 10:53pm

Feeling the christmas bulge need to get the exercise and diet going again during Jan.

Me too. Its kinda hard not too with Thanksgiving in November, Then Christmas, my birthday, New Years and my sisters birthday all happening in the same week. Good news is that I got a membership to a new gym that is opening up in January. Im going to shave off a few pounds of fat.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 9:20am
I love doing an intense workout early in the day during holdays. Afterward I never feel like pigging out, as I would if I had sat around being lazy all day. Unfortunately I slept in and missed the circuit training class at the gym this morning :(. Fatty fat fat!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 10:23am
I bought a pair of ankle weights to see what it does although I don't really feel a difference unless I'm jumping around or kicking or something.  
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 12:06pm

I bought a pair of ankle weights to see what it does although I don't really feel a difference unless I'm jumping around or kicking or something.  

There used to be a guy at work that used to wear ankle weights every day.
To be honest it looked a bit silly. But more power to him because he didn't care.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by gunda pickle

There used to be a guy at work that used to wear ankle weights every day.
To be honest it looked a bit silly. But more power to him because he didn't care.

I used to wear around ankle weights and/or a weighted vest everywhere when i used to wrestle.  But they really are not good to your joints, ESPECIALLY your knees. If you ue them for long periods of time for  while, youre going to start to notice joint pains, so be careful!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 5:34pm
Did a detox class during the afternoon, got intoxicated in the evening.
woke up the next day to do a core class.
The move wasn't too bad, I thought there would be more but they took it really easy that day, but my back was alrdy being a bitch, still acting up today too.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 8:29pm

I follow ya. If you're just doing regular daily activities and draggin your feet around everywhere, I wouldn't imagine the ankle weights doing much for ya. Anything where you're getting the leg elevated is where you'd notice it most, but as dvdngu stated, it might cause some joint pain. If you kick up the intensity of your regular workouts, you could get just as much exercise from just your body weight than just the weights alone with a more easily-paced routine.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 9:24pm
I've been slacking on my use of myfitnesspal to count my calories for 2 weeks now. Ugh. I've been using it consistently for so long...I'm just having a hard time getting into "bulking mode" w/o a gym membership at home.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 9:57pm
I went boarding yesterday in bumpy powder conditions and it killed my legs. They are so sore! I can't wait till the gym opens in January. I need more leg workouts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 142>