The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 127128129130131 144>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14
    Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

Originally posted by hana24

Haha!  I'll be evening it out eventually.  Comparing the two legs and the atrophy is kind of scary.  My calf muscle just droops now

Droops? yes that is scary , yikes. You'll soon be able to even it out. muscle memory will do it's thing and you'll be back to were you are with time.

Yeah I'm just dieing to get the muscle tone back in the leg.  The biggest atrophy I see is def in the calf muscle.  The thighs don't look so bad, but there's def a difference in size between the two legs.  I'm just hoping I get cleared to go to PT soon.  I also want to be able to bend my leg.  Right now I can only go 80 deg and can't lock out my knee.  I just want to move my leg and get the circulation going in there.   

I've started to go out on walks with my dog while on my crutches.  My upper body is sore...I also went to costco yesterday and man that store is big.  I was tired of being there on my crutches.  Luckily even though costco is always full of shopping carts, I always had a clear path for me LOL  No one wants to accidentally hit someone on crutches in the store.
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 1:43pm
I think I'm 'suppose to do core today but I'm feeling quite tired. But that's no excuse I'm gonna at least get something in but not going to overdo it and injure myself. Alrdy had a pretty good workout manually changing my tires.

Surprised you had a clear path, that place is always packed when I go. Also there's always idiots who can't steer their cart right.
Is your dog obedient that she doesn't drag you along and pull on the leash?
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

I think I'm 'suppose to do core today but I'm feeling quite tired. But that's no excuse I'm gonna at least get something in but not going to overdo it and injure myself. Alrdy had a pretty good workout manually changing my tires.

Surprised you had a clear path, that place is always packed when I go. Also there's always idiots who can't steer their cart right.
Is your dog obedient that she doesn't drag you along and pull on the leash?

Yeah I think most people moved out of my way when they saw me coming.  No one wants to be responsible for hitting someone on crutches and causing them to fall LOL

She's pretty small ~20lbs so I'm able to keep her controlled.  Problem is going up the stairs with her.  I don't think she's realized yet I need her to go up the stairs before me or that she can't run up the stairs. 

Updated weekly!
yaya34 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Evil Monkeys Not So Evil After All

Quote yaya34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 10:38am
My goal for this year is to get back into the gym and on the streets running. I need to get in better shape for my upcoming trips.

I am heading to Killington, Stratton and Steamboat back to back to back weeks and my stamina needs to rise before then.

I am marking my goal down right now and I promise to start achieving this goal asap.

Goal - Get back in the gym at least 2 days a week and run at least 2 days a week for at least 2 miles.

LETS GO!

YaYa
YaYa
SnowAddiction View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowAddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by yaya34

My goal for this year is to get back into the gym and on the streets running. I need to get in better shape for my upcoming trips.

I am heading to Killington, Stratton and Steamboat back to back to back weeks and my stamina needs to rise before then.

I am marking my goal down right now and I promise to start achieving this goal asap.

Goal - Get back in the gym at least 2 days a week and run at least 2 days a week for at least 2 miles.

LETS GO!

YaYa

You should also try swimming this is great for an all body workout and helps to improve breathing
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 5:37pm
First day back to school, time to re-initiate my work out and be consistent with my diet again. Gym was so flipp'n crowded, looks like everyone's doing it too haha.

Day A: Squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead shoulder press, dips

Day B: Squats, bench press, Incline press, pull ups, shrugs.

Gym 3 times a week, alternate Day A and Day B.

I hope this goes well. Big smile
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2013 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by mluu003

First day back to school, time to re-initiate my work out and be consistent with my diet again. Gym was so flipp'n crowded, looks like everyone's doing it too haha.Day A: Squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead shoulder press, dipsDay B: Squats, bench press, Incline press, pull ups, shrugs.Gym 3 times a week, alternate Day A and Day B. I hope this goes well. Big smile

It's that time of the year when gym memberships boom and everyone has motivation to get in shape!! I love the uni lifestyle because I can go during the day and basically have the entire gym to myself
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 11:39am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

First day back to school, time to re-initiate my work out and be consistent with my diet again. Gym was so flipp'n crowded, looks like everyone's doing it too haha.Day A: Squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead shoulder press, dipsDay B: Squats, bench press, Incline press, pull ups, shrugs.Gym 3 times a week, alternate Day A and Day B. I hope this goes well. Big smile

It's that time of the year when gym memberships boom and everyone has motivation to get in shape!! I love the uni lifestyle because I can go during the day and basically have the entire gym to myself

But they drop out like in February so it's all good.  I just get annoyed because the spin classes I would take are sooo crowded during this time of year.

Today I tried to get some physical activity in by crutching to the front office, but the nice maintenance guys refused to not give me a ride when they saw me.  I also got a ride back LOL

Updated weekly!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 2:19pm
I'm tired as (i try too hard) but I'm gonna try to get in my squat/quad and rotator/rhomboids exercise in
I'm yawning as I'm typing... hating this so friggin tired!
Temper is up, moody, and so agitated Angry
stomach feels like crap too
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 5:21pm

Yeah, I heard that A LOT in the gym. Everyone was saying how people were gonna stop going n stuff. Fortunately, the gym did die down a bit today. haha.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 7:10pm
Does anybody here grapple?
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 10:22pm
I've never grappled but I've always thought about taking up some kick boxing classes during the week to break up the repetition of lifting. Does anyone do kickboxing regularly?
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 8:16am
Has anyone ever tried out the new Beachbody workout (new to me at least) called Les Mills combat training?  Pretty fun so far!  I think I was actually going crazy just doing repeats of p90x, p90x+, p90, p90 master series, one on one with tony horton and 10 minute trainer.  i pretty much know each workout like the back of my hand so the combat stuff was a great refresher.

It's also nice to have to do NEW stuff for a change, and I found it really went by fast as I wasn't just clock watching.  As for the workouts themselves, they are high intensity, decent impact.  The trainers are very good martial artists.

My only complaint is the damned volume on the DVD is so high you can barely hear the instructors, BUT it does get you pumped up and there were actual songs that I recognized.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 9:20am
I'm startin to feel like a bum! I haven't made it to the gym in atleast a week, but that's due to me catching a cold and not wanting to spread it around. I should invest in some stuff I could do at home to atleast get the heart rate up. But that'll have to wait til i has money. Amazon had some of those adjustable-weight dumbells on a deal yesterday, but I didn't have the $200 lyin around to purchase em.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 10:35am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

I'm startin to feel like a bum! I haven't made it to the gym in atleast a week, but that's due to me catching a cold and not wanting to spread it around. I should invest in some stuff I could do at home to atleast get the heart rate up. But that'll have to wait til i has money. Amazon had some of those adjustable-weight dumbells on a deal yesterday, but I didn't have the $200 lyin around to purchase em.

I just wait for equipment to show up on daily deal sites because they're usually cheaper.  I bought a stationary bike for like 100 bucks.  I've been using it when I get home from work lately.  It keeps my cardio working and my legs for snowboarding.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 6:44pm
Thats it, with gym equipment there is usually always some sale going on you just need to be patient to get what you want when it comes on sale. I generally buy all my gear second hand as well which helps
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 7:26pm
got in some squats and core today
I'm wondering how long I'll be able to keep this up!

Dick that's a lot of p90, not happy with the results? or r you looking for something new to just maintain?
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:09pm
hahahaha ehhhh? ^^^
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 7:22pm
I tried working out my legs within my capacity.  I realized I can do pilates with a broken leg.  Yay!  Now my legs are sore from yesterday's workout.  My upper body though it just sore in general.  

Updated weekly!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 9:38pm
Squatting then boarding the next day is an extremely bad combination. Noodle legs.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 11:20pm
Squatting then most things is a bad combination!! I'm wrecked after leg day
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 8:17am

Squatting then most things is a bad combination!! I'm wrecked after leg day

Yeah, I agree. I'm very picky about leg days....timing has to be right haha. I have to have a few days after of nothingness to recover.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 5:56pm

Gf dragged me out to give yoga another try lastnight. Crap my body is super sore! Tough to learn as you go without talking in class. But a few more classes and it'll feel easier.

haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 7:07pm
After a couple of days riding for the first time this season my inner thighs and calves are so sore! I tried working out a couple months beforehand but I guess I'm working out my snowboarding muscles that I could never work out on. Other than that the rest of my body feels normal..no pain! wait..I fell a lot on my butt on the icy grooms..yeah..my buns hurt too. no homosexual
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 7:18pm
I went riding yesterday and I woke up with my body super sore. It feels really weird when your whole back is super sore haha. Im going use my weekend to rest up until my work out starts on Tuesday.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Von44

Gf dragged me out to give yoga another try lastnight. Crap my body is super sore! Tough to learn as you go without talking in class. But a few more classes and it'll feel easier.

Hahah, I've always wanted to give yoga a try. All I do is weight lift...I feel my flexibility isn't up to par. I also hear its hard...I'd like the challenge!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2013 at 9:58pm
Exercised for the first time in a week today, as I've been battling a cold (and am finally over it) 2 hours of football followed by 80 mins of basketball.. I;m pooped! but feelin gooood :D
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 3:46pm
OOH! i forgot today was MLK JR day, thus my programming class is cancelled today! Gonna do the circuit training class at the gym that I've missed for the past 3 weeks!
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by j_lucky84

I've never grappled but I've always thought about taking up some kick boxing classes during the week to break up the repetition of lifting. Does anyone do kickboxing regularly?

You should try it. It's a hell of a workout plus its good to know. I don't kickbox regularly, like a cardio kickboxing class but I do Muay Thai on the regular, the difference being its more technique focused rather than trying to burn as many calories as possible but they're both sick workouts. If you think you're in shape try out jiu-jitsu at your nearest grappling/mma gym! You'll think twice
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 1:58pm

sore from Yoga? I guess i can see that. I did get soreness under my armpits. I think it was all the downward dog positions we kept on holding
lol

I'm sttarting to struggle with my exercising.. feel to tired and feel like theres no time to do it.. at this point I'd rather sleep, plus always seem to have so much material to look over and study, daily bah..
Imma try to do some core today though.. take up about 20mins
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 2:39pm
Yeah I'd basically be looking for a more cardio based kick boxing class just to have a different workout. The self defense side of grappling would be good to know living in the city. There is a mma gym around the corner from my house I might look into it once I'm back at uni
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 4:02pm

Hahah, I've always wanted to give yoga a try. All I do is weight lift...I feel my flexibility isn't up to par. I also hear its hard...I'd like the challenge!

Damn I miss yoga.  I want to be able to stretch out my quad since I can't bend my knee -_- 

I worked my core today for 15min and then I took my dog for 2 walks on crutches. 

Updated weekly!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 6:06pm

Damn I miss yoga.  I want to be able to stretch out my quad since I can't bend my knee -_- 

I worked my core today for 15min and then I took my dog for 2 walks on crutches. 

Yikes! You're a champ..still walking your dog when you can't even walk on your own yet. I'm sorry to hear about your accident on the mtn! A few of my good friends at Mt High told me about you and your Mammoth adventure...and tragedy. Unhappy
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:55pm
I did my core for about 30mins and happy I got through it.. good on you too hana!
I'm gonna take today off and get some other stuff done that's been put off for a week or so now.. 
workout again .. tmr! quads, shoulders, rotator cuffs, rhomboids.
and I need to hit the climbing gym! its been too long. my membership is being wasted. 0 =

Edit: sweet didn't know what my workout for today was, lol good thing I put it here.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2013 at 9:45am
Finally getting after it after coming back from my week in Tahoe. Starting to run or ride every day (of course it's highs in the 20s this week) and keep my calories under 2200 (hoping to lose 1.5-2 lbs/week until July). Trying to really vary my meal selections and learn to cook a bit more off piste with no recipes.

The best thing I've found is turkey bacon. Yes, I'm late to that party.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 4:26pm
I did squats and deadlifts today....and I'm snowboarding all day tomorrow. ahhh

Time to have my legs explode.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 6:42am
FInally went to the climbing gym yesterday. I do'nt know how long its been since the last time I've gone, but I'm feeling pretty sore today after the climb and doing some core. Did only two sets because we were in a rush to get some korean bbq! get in that salty protein. 
Next gotta do em squats and shoulders, hopefully sometime today.

Edit: and done! quads were dying!!

that sounds great cass! below
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 6:46am
Been absolutely awesome on my diet so far. under 2000 calories all but one day. Keeping protein up has been harder but to be honest, I got plenty of muscle so losing some won't be a huge deal. I'm feeling much better through the day as well.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 5:23pm
Actually went ahead and did abs today. felt good, but Had a really bad headache after, almost like a migraine? but I'm gonna see if I can get in a workout tomorrow! then bad to abs again the day after! doubt it but here's to hoping
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2013 at 9:19pm
Any of you guys have any real experience with pre-workout stimulants?

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 3:25am

I've taken the Noxplode in the past before my workouts and I noticed a difference. I'm not saying you'll be lifting crazy heavy weights or anything but it feels like you can pump out the last few reps without a spotter.

Just be cautious that it is synthetic and too much of it wouldn't be good for your body. So if you've got enough for a year, take it every other month so your body doesn't rely on it too much.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 9:09am
this could probably go under funny video but i think its interesting to see how mad people get when you tell them they are small.

bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:09am

I did squats and deadlifts today....and I'm snowboarding all day tomorrow. ahhh

Time to have my legs explode.

I did that too and it wasn't a very good time.  I could barely get onto rails so I stopped doing them in fear of the taco.  
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:12am
Trying to stay somewhat active without getting frustrated with my leg.  Trying my best to eat clean, but it's hard because I just want to eat fatty foods right now.

Updated weekly!
bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:17am

Trying to stay somewhat active without getting frustrated with my leg.  Trying my best to eat clean, but it's hard because I just want to eat fatty foods right now.

Then eat fatty foods.  You can work it off later once your leg is better.  
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:20am
Originally posted by bubbagooch

It's a lot harder to work it off than gaining it.  I would rather not go that route.

Updated weekly!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 10:21am

It's a lot harder to work it off than gaining it.  I would rather not go that route.

I agree. Eating clean is really important even when you are not injured.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 1:32pm

So hard to gain right now for me anyway =p

Gonna go Chiro today! hope it goes well? damn...
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 2:12pm
Added P90x Ab Ripper X to 2 of my runs now a week. Hopefully will help with my (non existent). I used to breeze through that routine a couple years back doing 25 reps easy, last night I barely was getting 15.

Hoping my flexibility increases as well.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 2:24pm

I've taken the Noxplode in the past before my workouts and I noticed a difference. I'm not saying you'll be lifting crazy heavy weights or anything but it feels like you can pump out the last few reps without a spotter.

Just be cautious that it is synthetic and too much of it wouldn't be good for your body. So if you've got enough for a year, take it every other month so your body doesn't rely on it too much.

I just got my buddies Neurocore pre work out stimulant for those super long days in class and at work. I'm trying it tomorrow, just super curious about how it will affect me, phyically and mentally.

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129130131 144>