Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 120121122123124 145>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14
    Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 12:14pm
My first triathlon is in 2 weeks shits getting real right now. Its pretty crazy how pushing your body can put you in sick shape. This last week is going to be hell with 2 and 3 workouts a day then one week of taper then time to get WILD. Somebody has to take Lances stop since he got screwed over
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by scuddera

My first triathlon is in 2 weeks shits getting real right now. Its pretty crazy how pushing your body can put you in sick shape. This last week is going to be hell with 2 and 3 workouts a day then one week of taper then time to get WILD. Somebody has to take Lances stop since he got screwed over

Wow, now that's dedication.  I could never stick to a strict routine like that.  Good luck and keep us updated!
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 12:03pm
i just got back from a camping trip, where i kayaked for about 5 miles...  it takes about 4~5 hours depending on wind direction.  but yea, my kayak partner didn't row as much as i hoped she would...  left me with a sore and lovely back.  =)
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 4:58pm
I really need to start lifting. I'm almost 16. I'm 5'11" and weigh 115. I bench (rep) only 70 poundsDead
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 7:38am
Did a 3 week detox starting June, where I juice all meals except lunch. Also started gymming at the same time. Its been the best kick start to getting back into shape. Still going strong with gym and eating healthier. Started climbing again and hopefully surfing with stick this summer (cross fingers). These things should keep me in pretty good shape. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by kirium81

Did a 3 week detox starting June, where I juice all meals except lunch. Also started gymming at the same time. Its been the best kick start to getting back into shape. Still going strong with gym and eating healthier. Started climbing again and hopefully surfing with stick this summer (cross fingers). These things should keep me in pretty good shape. 

How does that detox work for you ?? I'm trying to change the way I detox. I usually go a week with only water, fruit, vegetables, and a few essential vitamin pills. But that's for wrestling and some unhealthy weight loss ( about 20 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks). I'm trying to get back in shape like when I wrestled, but in a healthy fashion :P
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by chillman

I really need to start lifting. I'm almost 16. I'm 5'11" and weigh 115. I bench (rep) only 70 poundsDead

Holy crap!  You need to eat more as well!  You need some more meat on them bones.  Shocked  
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by dvdngu

Originally posted by kirium81

How does that detox work for you ?? I'm trying to change the way I detox. I usually go a week with only water, fruit, vegetables, and a few essential vitamin pills. But that's for wrestling and some unhealthy weight loss ( about 20 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks). I'm trying to get back in shape like when I wrestled, but in a healthy fashion :P

Its been great! So my background, 5'8 155. I always worked out (started from HS football) and have always been in good shape. Working out consists of weight lifting, cardio/abs, rock climbing and boarding. Coming out of this boarding season, i was pretty out of shape though. Sorta just let myself go, but im still 155, just not toned. When I started the detox, i just wanted something to jolt me into work out mode. Definitely did! I didnt think i had weight to lose (been 155 plus of minus 5 since high school). Dropped 12 pounds first week. The detox is avoiding anything processed, carbs, dairy, red meat, alcohol, sugar, caffeine, etc. So this is what I did. Mornings were all smoothies. Using my magic bullet, i blended blueberries and peaches, kale with almond milk. No strawberries (acidic) and no bananas (dont know why, book just said). Lunches were all fresh or steamed vegetables and chicken or salmon. No dressing, condiments. I only used sea salt. Then for dinner, i juiced vegetables. Usually carrots, kale, apple, cucumber, beets and other greens. This is what i did every day for 3 weeks. No snacks or other drinks besides water. I finished by losing 15 pounds (weight loss was definitely not my goal and actually surprised me since i was skinny). But body has changed for the better. I now really enjoy fresh vegetables, its like my taste buds have changed. I loved spicy food, but it always upset my stomach... now thats gone. My stomach has totally repaired itself. The cons of doing it.. you cant really socialize. Its not fun going to restaurants with your friends and them constantly asking you why you are doing this. Also, i was getting a bit light headed if i stood up too soon. But this is probably because I was working out pretty hard during the same time. I still juice a couple nights of the week but i smoothie every morning. Its just so convenient now. And I pack a lunch 4 of the 5 work weeks. Same deal, lots of veggies with chicken or fish. But now, i add a little more than salt. The 3 weeks made me realize how bad our normal diet has become and what we are used to. Definitely glad i did it. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 11:34am
Worked out all last week I guess with hiking and boarding for 4 hr blocks.  When I came back I felt like I was in a lot better shape and made me realize how just work in general makes you sit on your butt all day long.

Been doing power yoga since I've been back and just working on my flexibility. 
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 11:41am
I find it funny how I haven't been working out doing insanity and p90x in like 4 weeks and ended up losing like 4 pounds from being lazy.  LOL  I've been so busy so I haven't been working out but I need to get rid of that belly fat!  Cry
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 11:53am
been doing good... kayaking, biking & climbing... it's a start...
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Witty1

been doing good... kayaking, biking & climbing... it's a start...

Your start is more like my finishing line.  LOL  Just bought a stationary bike or whatever you call them, but haven't gotten around to assembling it yet.  
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 12:42pm
Sunday marked my first triathlon and first 70.3 ironman distance. Probably the most insane test of mind and body that I have ever put myself through. My swim was ok, killed my bike time, and died on the run, but whats new. I was shooting for 5 hrs and 45 mins but ended up coming in at 5 hrs and 54 mins. I am still happy with the outcome. Time to start planning my next on because it is an addiction.

For those of you that think losing weight or getting into good enough shape for one of these is impossible. 2 people the ran the race lost insane amounts of weight for it. 1 person lost 210lbs and another lost 130lb thoughs are true winners
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 11:33am
i haven't been able to work out as much as i want to...  but i've been drinking slim fast for breakfast, and i think i'm losing unwanted weight...  so yay!
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 4:03pm
^Does Slim Fast actually work? Lol I should try it. Need to lose weight.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

^Does Slim Fast actually work? Lol I should try it. Need to lose weight.

Drinking slim fast isnt going to do crap for you if you dont do anything with it .. like getting to the gym. the only true diet that I have seen work and keep the weight off is when ppl limit there salt intake to under 1g which is really how we should be eating in general but not with the crap we have now
jsmooth View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jsmooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2012 at 3:11pm
i am not so sure about the salt issue as it's more being sedentary. I'm sure if you spend half your day standing versus sitting down; your weight issue wouldn't be a big problem.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 12:08pm
Seriously, all it takes is going out and getting active.
Activeness fuels more activity and laziness fuels more laziness.
so get out there people.

I timed my mile yesterday and I got 6:06
I am pretty stoked.

Post your mile times here and lets see if we can all improve.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by humblerooster

Seriously, all it takes is going out and getting active.
Activeness fuels more activity and laziness fuels more laziness.
so get out there people.

I timed my mile yesterday and I got 6:06
I am pretty stoked.

Post your mile times here and lets see if we can all improve.

I haven't run a mile and got timed since middle school.  I think the fastest I was able to run a mile was 10.5minutes...in like 7th grade.

I'm kind of scared to see how fast I can run the mile now...

Yesterday I lifted weights and did some squats.  I need to do more squats.

Updated weekly!
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 8:52pm
My current mile time 8:30
I need exercise more...so slow
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 8:23am
Are there any exercises that work out your Quads really well besides Squats.. Im too poor to get a gym membership and I dont know any other great way to work out squats.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 8:43am

Are there any exercises that work out your Quads really well besides Squats.. Im too poor to get a gym membership and I dont know any other great way to work out squats.

You can do power squats or power jumps.  I think most quad exercises have some kind of squat in it.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2012 at 2:22pm
About to purchase the insanity workout dvd set. It's probably been talked about but it says you don't need anything as far as resistance bands etc...does this mean that you could do a weight session pre-or-post workout?
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 9:04am
I heard about the insanity work outs. People say good things about it.
I've been doing the Ab Ripper for the P90X workout lately. If you want abs, let me guide you in that direction.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 9:51am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

About to purchase the insanity workout dvd set. It's probably been talked about but it says you don't need anything as far as resistance bands etc...does this mean that you could do a weight session pre-or-post workout?

You don't need extra equipment like you would with P90X, because it's heavy on cardio and gravity weight.  You can do weights if you want to.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

You can do power squats or power jumps.  I think most quad exercises have some kind of squat in it.
Burpees, as many as you can. They suck, but you lose weight and get strong quick. We used to do them a lot to prep for jiu jitsu and sub wrestling competitions. They're really exhausting, but as they say- there's no substitute for hard work.

Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 10:25am
Originally posted by julius77

Burpees, as many as you can. They suck, but you lose weight and get strong quick. We used to do them a lot to prep for jiu jitsu and sub wrestling competitions. They're really exhausting, but as they say- there's no substitute for hard work.

Burpees are cool but I sometimes get a little light headed after doing a lot.  LOL
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 11:49am

Could do some lunge split jumps  as well. If ya don't wanna jump, you can use the front quad to explode back to your starting/standing position. If ya keep lifting your knee to your chest, you've added the core element, too. Double the results :)
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 6:36pm
worked out today doing circuit training.  last 5 minutes were brutal...30 seconds of pushing a sled and 30 seconds of bouncing weighted ball onto wall overhead, rinse, repeat.  Almost threw up...the other person in the class actually threw up quite a bit. Dead

Updated weekly!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:36am
Originally posted by hana24

worked out today doing circuit training.  last 5 minutes were brutal...30 seconds of pushing a sled and 30 seconds of bouncing weighted ball onto wall overhead, rinse, repeat.  Almost threw up...the other person in the class actually threw up quite a bit. Dead

I LOVE those kind of workouts honestly.  After recovering from Vegas, I found my foot is feeling a ton better.  Been hitting my gym every morning, then hitting they gym again every night for some more cardio/basketball.  Two workouts a day finally caught up to me Friday though, just didn't have the energy to go that long in the evening, but it felt so good to be that tired!

Can't wait to hit it hard again monday.  The foot is finally holding up to the abuse and swelling etc has been pretty minimal.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:40am
note to self, even being in very good shape

sprints/strength workout with speed skating olympic hopeful= not walking normal for 2 days
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 9:12am
Haha no doubt being in very good shape to the average person is nothing compared to how Olympians workout
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Shakazulu

I LOVE those kind of workouts honestly.  After recovering from Vegas, I found my foot is feeling a ton better.  Been hitting my gym every morning, then hitting they gym again every night for some more cardio/basketball.  Two workouts a day finally caught up to me Friday though, just didn't have the energy to go that long in the evening, but it felt so good to be that tired!

Can't wait to hit it hard again monday.  The foot is finally holding up to the abuse and swelling etc has been pretty minimal.

Yeah being tired is nice...helps me sleep a lot better at night.  I know whenever I don't go to the gym and just sit around all day working, I can't sleep at night and will stay up till like 3 or 4 because I have all this energy I didn't burn off during the day.

Although trying to convince bf to go to gym and work out is another story...he finally went to the gym today after like not going for a month? LOL  I just told him to cancel his gym membership.

Updated weekly!
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 7:36am
^^^  He is just marching his way to 200!!!!

I failed this morning, drank too much this weekend and played a bunch of basketball.  Legs just did not have it in them for the workout this morning.  Hydrating up and will make up for it tonight though.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 9:31am
^ I know!  He hasn't told me how much he weighs...or has really weighed himself recently.

Hmmm I wonder if he is almost hitting 200...

Felt tired this morning so I went to yoga...I should start getting in shape for the 5k in Oct and for snowboarding season

Updated weekly!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 9:42am
From the looks of it he better hit the gym soon:

hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 10:02am
I dunno how you always manage to find a fat pic of me and my bf...this is getting scary ctoma

Updated weekly!
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 11:03am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

What do you think of Insanity so far??
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 3:05pm
I've just received it in the mail and watched a few sections of it. Looks good, I injured my back in January so I haven't ran since December. I'm going to do a few weeks of running before I start so my body gets used to recovering again. After my first run back, 4miles, I was sore for 3 days haha
MurphyMasta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 7:26pm
bleck i have been off my workout plan for 3 weeks... letting the knee injury hold me back more than it should. i need to go work out... tomorrrow... or maybe in 2 days.
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 4:47am
Tweaked my back yesterday. I've concluded that leg press can no longer be a part of my repertoire because every time I do it my back hurts the next day. Only reason I did it yesterday was because all the squat machines were taken. I had my suspicion this was the root of it all, but never knew for sure because the pain and soreness always came later. Yesterday was the first day I've done it in several months and my back has been fine until today. It was the only thing I did differently in my workout. So word of advice, stick with squats.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 7:41pm
deadlifts, squats, and wide leg squats are all i do for my legs.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 5:44am
Circuit training yesterday...almost felt like throwing up at the end.  Ropes are fun but boy are they tiring when you have to make them undulate.

Updated weekly!
moonshadow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 10:28am
I felt the need to work out more when my jeans felt a little tighter on the waist about a month ago. I eat lots of fruits and veggies already but i think it is the late night snack i need to cut out - replacing chips/popcorn with hummus and veggies and ice cream with non-fat greek yogurt. Started running three times a week for about 1/2 hour and trying to go to yoga at least once a week.

any suggestions for a good late night snack (i work in a restaurant so i get out around 1-2 am - usually a little hungry when i get off and I try to avoid the oil ladden restaurant foods as much as possible.)
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 1:08pm
I have a treadmill set up in front of a TV, watched TITA and some Breaking Bad episodes. August is generally not a very windy month, but tomorrow should be a great day for kiteboarding. Just got a new raceboard, it's  directional rather than a twin tip and it's taking some getting used to. 
Last week we were on vacation, did  lot of paddleboarding in the Adirondacks, visited Lake Placid and Whiteface, got to get up there at least once this winter, wish it was closer.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 12:25pm
Worked out this morning...I feel a weakness in my legs right now while walking. 

I got a groupon for a month of crossfit...anyone tried it?  How is it?

Updated weekly!
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 3:06pm

I used to do a lot of the Crossfit recommended exercises but not the workout of the day (WOD) routines. They are random and kind of stupid, IMO. Doing Olympic lifts for time and with bad form- not a good long term strategy. I guess it depends on your local affiliate and how much they drink the CF Kool-Aid.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 3:12pm
^^^We do the same exact thing with the WOD workouts. Did them last thursday, had bad form and hurt my back somewhat. Would have never happened if I would of stuck to my regular routine..
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 7:06pm

I want gopro footage of the first day at Crossfit!!!!  Make your BF go for triple the entertainment.

Its basically HIIT with all kinds of different exercises.  My gym would appear to be a crossfit gym if you didn't know the subtle differences (we focus more on range of motion and building joint health in the process).  I absolutely LOVE that style of workout though.  Builds tons of functional strength and endurance.

That said, I'm about to go full retard and augment my morning workout with a spin class.  I needs more leg endurance!  Getting a lot stronger, but I completely fell apart on the race track this weekend, after 10 laps I was having a really hard time steering the bike with my legs.  I have been doing two a days for the past two weeks or so and am loving it.  Just gotta eat a ton and make sure I go to sleep early, but its been wonderful.  I thew down a huge dunk playing ball today that i haven't been able to do in several years.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 9:56am
My traps are sore...

I'm gonna start doing CF next week.  I'll keep in mind to make sure I have good form when doing the workouts...I don't want to hurt myself...

Updated weekly!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 120121122123124 145>