The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 122123124125126 145>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14
    Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 10:09am
New girlfriend who has to eat gluten free and only cooks with organic food etc + over 1200 miles on the racetrack the past week on my new racebike = I lost ten pounds.  Going the wrong direction for someone who is already thin, but it feels like it was all fat.  Trying to bump my calorie intake big time now to keep up.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:17pm
over 1200 miles?? is that an extra 0, otherwise wow!! You'll need to take on a huge calorie intake to keep up with that, plenty of pasta
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 6:48pm
Finally got in a workout after being in Japan for a month.  Ran along a small stream and then did some squats and pushups.  I'm struggling to do a full pushups after not working out for a week.

Also all the girls here are stick skinny.  I'm like...man these girls need to put on some weight or some muscle.  Kind of pisses me off that my parents think I need to lose weight when I have no interest in becoming that sickly skinny.  
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:20pm
I am utmost disappointed in anyone and esp girls for some reason who can't do one full/proper push up...get in shape! damn...
so that means you hana24 hahaha

I've started to eat more and more junk, and being less and less active, just getting so lazy. Its terrible! I think the depression is kickin in again. Change in weather, no drive, losing interest, and a lot of negativity around. Seems endless, I've absorbed so much of it I super irritated and negative too.
No more rock climbing, no more swimming, no more biking, no more lifting weights
So much more positive a month ago, eating right, exercising even tho I didn't want to, I just did it anyway. Dead
its all uphill from here...
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

I am utmost disappointed in anyone and esp girls for some reason who can't do one full/proper push up...get in shape! damn...
so that means you hana24 hahaha

I've started to eat more and more junk, and being less and less active, just getting so lazy. Its terrible! I think the depression is kickin in again. Change in weather, no drive, losing interest, and a lot of negativity around. Seems endless, I've absorbed so much of it I super irritated and negative too.
No more rock climbing, no more swimming, no more biking, no more lifting weights
So much more positive a month ago, eating right, exercising even tho I didn't want to, I just did it anyway. Dead
its all uphill from here...

LOL  I can do full pushups.  For some reason I struggled with it yesterday when I can usually just do them easily. 

Damn jhoang...stop being so damn lazy and start working out again! LOL

Updated weekly!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 6:54am
This colder weather is really not helping.. all I wanna do is sleep, SO cozy in bed...
Yah I'm gonna try to hit the gym today and get back into it, Get my blood flowing again keep my body warm.

really strange how you struggled, just one of em lazy days Tongue
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 7:17pm
The cold weather is the best time to work out, just rug right up and sweat it out man
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 12:45pm
^^ only time when i workout. but to get in shape for snowboarding I usually workout couple months beforehand consisting of around the house stuff. pushup, situps, pullups, squats, etc.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:41am
My dad is here on "vacation" this week.

I am making him go to the gym with me everyday...cause buster needs to shed some serious lbs!
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 8:40am
Originally posted by hana24

Finally got in a workout after being in Japan for a month.  Ran along a small stream and then did some squats and pushups.  I'm struggling to do a full pushups after not working out for a week.

Also all the girls here are stick skinny.  I'm like...man these girls need to put on some weight or some muscle.  Kind of pisses me off that my parents think I need to lose weight when I have no interest in becoming that sickly skinny.  

Well, their food portions are much smaller plus less meat and fat consumption there, but we're Americans so we like things BIG.  Embarrassed

I can do a full push up, I just don't wanna.  LOL 
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 9:20am
Finally back in the gym. need to bulk up before I start cutting next summer for triathlon season Ironman I want some
BTW will anyone that goes to the regularly agree with me, Guidos need to be KOOLAID man for Halloween because they have all the proportions correct... Large mildly toned upperbodies and skinner than my pecker legs. Top heavy just like KOOLAID man
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 2:58pm
^^^ haha every day is upper body day, they look so stupid
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 11:47am
You know they will sit there and talk to you about how much they know about lifting and what not... But if the had any ounce of knowledge on the subject they would know, your body will create more testosterone when you stimulate all the muscle groups and personally last time I checked your quads are way larger of a muscle than your chest and tris maybe it just doesnt look that way cuz your to busy walking on the tredmill for a cardio workout...
Hambone View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Hambone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 6:49pm
Im in the military and deploy every damn year so i stay in pretty good shape. Bench 405,deadlift 495,squat 405. also can run 2 miles in 12 min. im 6'3" and 225lbs with about 6% bodyfat. right where i wanna be :)
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 12:58am
Impressive stats hambone, benching 405 is pretty ridiculous
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 10:44am
All about heavy squats. Maybe not hambone heavy, but heavy. Till your heart is pounding out of your chest and you can't think of anything but finishing that last rep. Gets you shredded.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 12:05pm
Did a TRX class this morning, pretty good stuff can see how it would really help your core. The only thing I can't do is lunges because of my back but other than that it was a good class
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 5:42pm
My fitness has been neglected pretty badly the last month since I don't have access to the gym while in the Japan.  I've been trying to work out at home and running, but I feel like I'm not working out as hard as I should be.

Plus I have a 5k in about a week and a half I haven't even trained for...it's going to be rough...

Updated weekly!
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 5:37am
Been working out 3-4 times a week for about 2.5 years now and I'm still down in weight from where I started but I've noticed I've been putting on some weight for a while now.  It's pretty disheartening but I guess I gotta kick it up a notch or watch the eating more.  Neither option is terrific to me right now.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 6:03am
^^^^ Well it depends on what your overall goal is.

Your body is putting on muscle is whats happening. When I did P90x the first 2 weeks I lost 5lbs but added about 8lbs of muscle. If you are like me your body can put muscle on fast and then peak., then it gets slower. Dont stop eating, thats your worst move!!! If you are trying to keep the weight down you need to change the way you make your muscle function. If you are gaining weight you're building more strength, but if you change to more of an endurance based workout you will keep the weight down a bit while also building strength at a slower pace. Work in a circuit, so keep your same lifts but up the reps and decrease the rest time. Its essentially what the military does to stay at peak readiness
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 9:04am
I'm in terrible shape. 210lbs, 6'1". I have skinny, long arms and legs, but I keep all my fat in my belly area and my thighs. I have a mountain bike, but we moved even farther from the foothills so I never get out on it. I work from home so I'm stuck inside the whole day. I want to get in shape so I'm not huffing and puffing come snowboard time this year, or at least be able to fit better into my old jeans so I don't have to buy new ones.

What has worked for others as far as indoor at home workouts are concerned? I have a 2story so maybe going up/down stairs for 20mins a day during lunch will help? I don't eat junk food and rarely go out to eat. I cook myself and eat a lot of chicken/fish so my intake isn't really a problem.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Superorb

I'm in terrible shape. 210lbs, 6'1". I have skinny, long arms and legs, but I keep all my fat in my belly area and my thighs. I have a mountain bike, but we moved even farther from the foothills so I never get out on it. I work from home so I'm stuck inside the whole day. I want to get in shape so I'm not huffing and puffing come snowboard time this year, or at least be able to fit better into my old jeans so I don't have to buy new ones.

What has worked for others as far as indoor at home workouts are concerned? I have a 2story so maybe going up/down stairs for 20mins a day during lunch will help? I don't eat junk food and rarely go out to eat. I cook myself and eat a lot of chicken/fish so my intake isn't really a problem.

I do insanity work out videos because they require no equipment plus works your cardio like crazy.  You need certain equipment to do P90X although some segments requires none.  
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I do insanity work out videos because they require no equipment plus works your cardio like crazy.  You need certain equipment to do P90X although some segments requires none.  

I have one of those pullup bars that goes on the door frame, but I have no upper body strength to speak of so that's out of the question. My wife did a Jillian video a few months ago and quit after a few weeks and started it again a week ago one time and hasn't done it since.

I fractured my right arm in middle school and it never properly healed so there are a bunch of exercises that I can't do. Sucks. I think what I really need is cardio to help burn fat.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 9:56am

I have one of those pullup bars that goes on the door frame, but I have no upper body strength to speak of so that's out of the question. My wife did a Jillian video a few months ago and quit after a few weeks and started it again a week ago one time and hasn't done it since.

I fractured my right arm in middle school and it never properly healed so there are a bunch of exercises that I can't do. Sucks. I think what I really need is cardio to help burn fat.

I have those pull up bars that goes on the frame too, make sure you wrap a towel around the foam bracing because that thing is cheap and wears off and ends up damaging your door frame.  I would work on cardio before building muscles to burn all that fat away, plus you need cardio more than big muscles for boarding.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I have those pull up bars that goes on the frame too, make sure you wrap a towel around the foam bracing because that thing is cheap and wears off and ends up damaging your door frame.  I would work on cardio before building muscles to burn all that fat away, plus you need cardio more than big muscles for boarding.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also need cardio for MTB and hiking too. What do you think about walking up/down my stairs for 10-20mins a day. Think it might help?
Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 10:05am

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Also need cardio for MTB and hiking too. What do you think about walking up/down my stairs for 10-20mins a day. Think it might help?

That would be like doing elliptical.  Something is better than doing nothing.   
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 10:08am
Good point.
Snow Day Colorado

humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 8:33pm
I started a PhotoStream on the Iphone 5 with my friends. we update the pistures of our bodies to make sure we are getting in better shape from month to month. Really helpful.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 10:33pm
Humblerooster, how does that work? I got my 5 in the mail a couple of days ago and wouldn't mind doing something similar
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 1:19am
 or work construction   climb ladders,carry heavy materials + surf
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 10:31am
I used to work at a Discount Tire back in college and it kept me in great shape. Course, I usually worked 10+ hour days with only a 30min lunch break. Now I sit at a desk gaining weight haha.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 11:20am
mj2delmenico, Its really simple.

1.Go into your photos and make a photostream
2.Add the emails of all your friends that are participating
3.Then just add the photos you want from your main photo album to the photo stream album
4. Your friends can do the same and you will get to see all the photos they post in theirs.

(its just a way faster way to send pictures to the same people.)
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 11:20pm
ah okay sounds easy enough, now all I need is some training partners that're willing to share their photos. sounds like a good tool for inspiration though
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:30pm
It really is.

You get ideas of what workouts others do and what good food choices people make. Then you can apply that into your life too.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 8:03am
I'm guessing we're about a month or two out before the season begins. Time to start working out again. Bike, squats, split-squats, and lunges. I hate feeling my legs tire when I want to stay on the hill.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 12:52pm
Yeah seriously. There is a new gym opening 2 mins away from my house and the rate is going to be $10 a month. What a steal deal.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 1:34pm
I just signed up at a fitness site that tracks daily food intake and calculates lots of stuff. It's pretty cool. According to them, if I eat under 1,900 calories a day I'll lose a pound a week just sitting at my desk all day doing nothing.

myfitnesspal.com
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 9:18pm
I've checked out the my fitness pal app, would be a great tool to use but I was too slack to put all my meals in
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

I've checked out the my fitness pal app, would be a great tool to use but I was too slack to put all my meals in

I just started using this and it's a PITA but found out I was eating 400+ calories too little each day and my body was in starvation mode. I have to force myself to eat the calories it says I need.
Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 10:31am
Originally posted by humblerooster

Yeah seriously. There is a new gym opening 2 mins away from my house and the rate is going to be $10 a month. What a steal deal.

Is it called Fitness #some number?  If so, I always wanted to know how their gyms are like.  
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by mj2delmenico

I just started using this and it's a PITA but found out I was eating 400+ calories too little each day and my body was in starvation mode. I have to force myself to eat the calories it says I need.

And your goal is to lose weight? Starvation mode is BS, if you were eating under maintenance calories you would have been losing weight.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by belleayre

And your goal is to lose weight? Starvation mode is BS, if you were eating under maintenance calories you would have been losing weight.

Yeah a pound a week. I was losing weight, about half a pound a week. Why do you think starvation mode is BS? If you're not eating enough calories your body is going to store everything as fat instead of burning some of it for energy.
Snow Day Colorado

belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 2:20pm

Yeah a pound a week. I was losing weight, about half a pound a week. Why do you think starvation mode is BS? If you're not eating enough calories your body is going to store everything as fat instead of burning some of it for energy.

Half a pound a week is not bad, I would try a slight caloric reduction if you're not happy with the rate you're losing weight. The site above has more information than you probably want to know about weight loss, mass retention, etc..
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 2:27pm

Half a pound a week is not bad, I would try a slight caloric reduction if you're not happy with the rate you're losing weight. The site above has more information than you probably want to know about weight loss, mass retention, etc..

I'll take a look at it, thanks. I'll give this plan 2 weeks to see how things are at the end of 2 weeks and I'll make changes as necessary. Remember, this is with me not doing any exercise right now. I sit at a desk for work all day long.

EDIT: Ok looked at it. Right now my plan calls for 2100 calories and more wehn I'm able to squeeze in some time walking up/down our stairs. Since I started a week ago I seem to have more energy than before, and all I did was start eating more food. I measure all the food I cook with and eat and it's shocking how little calories I used to eat. And I thought I was just eating healthy by not eating sugary drinks, fast food, or junk food in general. Now I get to eat more of the food I like (grilled chicken, turkey burgers, seafood, etc).
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 9:25pm
I had to move a 300 lb box with 3 other guys today. I expected it to be harder to lift, but from working out and losing weight, we handled it no problem. Eating right and exercising makes a huge difference. Keep at it guys, I love reading what you guys post on this thread.
damiendaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
On top of the China Bowl @ Vail

Quote damiendaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:34am
Im studying to become a personal trainer, and the few people that I have helped get in shape along my way realize how important exercise and eating right is for you. Keep at it people!!
No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good....They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 10:28pm
Not necessarily being in exquisite shape but eating healthy is one of those pieces of knowledge that everyone knows we should do, but few follow it. Humans are strange
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 8:55am
So I've been keeping track of daily calories with the MyFitnesPal website and it was saying I wasn't eating enough calories by far each day. I've increases my calories and have actually lost weight. Seems my body was in survival mode. I know some don't believe in that, but it makes sense and my 4 pounds lost are proof. I was pretty excited when I weighed in Sunday. I also have a lot more energy than I did before.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:36am

So I've been keeping track of daily calories with the MyFitnesPal website and it was saying I wasn't eating enough calories by far each day. I've increases my calories and have actually lost weight. Seems my body was in survival mode. I know some don't believe in that, but it makes sense and my 4 pounds lost are proof. I was pretty excited when I weighed in Sunday. I also have a lot more energy than I did before.

That's great to hear. Eating the Right way is SOOO important. Possibly the most important thing in losing weight and getting healthy.

Eating Garbage and working out is not beneficial. Eat healthy and workout and you will see results really fast.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:39am
Originally posted by humblerooster

That's great to hear. Eating the Right way is SOOO important. Possibly the most important thing in losing weight and getting healthy.

Eating Garbage and working out is not beneficial. Eat healthy and workout and you will see results really fast.

My wife had been telling me for months that I didn't eat enough but I figured since I sat at a desk all day at home I was fine. Nope. I haven't even started exercising yet, I wanted to see if I wasn't eating correctly first and I've confirmed that.
Snow Day Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 145>