Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 130131132133134 145>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/14
    Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by humblerooster

This winter took a toll on my abs. In the summer time I had a great six pack but now there's hardly anything. So I started working out my abs today. I did some leg raises.

And I thought they were really easy.
I would go and do them and not really feel anything get worked out.
I changed it up a bit.
SIMPLY dont bring your legs all the way down...
STEP ONE: Raise to 90 degrees
STEP TWO: lower to 30 degrees instead of 0.
STEP THREE: Raise to 90 degrees

You will feel it within 20 secs. What a work out.

Okay that explains a lot because I never felt those worked out very well so I stopped doing it.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
LittleSoup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LittleSoup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 11:30am
Or you can hold it at the 90degree position for one sec and slowly lower to prevent swinging. The goal is feel it below the belly button since it focuses on the lower abs.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by LittleSoup

Or you can hold it at the 90degree position for one sec and slowly lower to prevent swinging. The goal is feel it below the belly button since it focuses on the lower abs.

But is your back suppose to be flat against the backboard?  Because I kind of arch my back.
LittleSoup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LittleSoup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 11:58am
I try to keep my back against it for support. But you arch it a little. Sometime i just try to support myself without the back rest. You just have to watch yourself and make sure you isolate your lower body. Your upper body should be stationary and the motion should come from your pelvis area. That way you can target your lower abs.
ijustchillin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ijustchillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 12:51pm
Any other good ab excercises?
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by ijustchillin

Roman crunches like in Rocky 4. Those are insanely hard to do. Not sure if its good for your neck tho.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 5:37pm
you can do a "V" where you bring in your legs and arms while lying down. you try to touch your toes while keeping your legs straight. hold it at the top for a second each time to really feel the burn.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 7:11pm

I usually just do the AbRipperX exercises at the end of my work outs when I have time.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 7:25pm
Ill confirm that the AbRipperX works great.

I did that for a month in the summer and you really see results after 30 days.
ijustchillin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ijustchillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2013 at 7:42am
A friend of mine have the p90 set. I'll borrow it from him and try it out!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by sdwc96

you can do a "V" where you bring in your legs and arms while lying down. you try to touch your toes while keeping your legs straight. hold it at the top for a second each time to really feel the burn.

Haha, I was gonna say the same thing but then I decided not to try to explain how to do it.  LOL  

AbRipperX from P90X?  That thing hurts so bad!  LOL  It has the V thing in there too, that's how I learned about that move.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2013 at 8:45pm
It's amazing with the abripperX how much you progress. At the beginning you will probably struggle to complete the sets without rest but in time you'll get it
bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 11:54am

Do planks with 90 lbs (2x 45lb plates) on your back.  Put the weight towards your lower back.  Hold it for as long as you can.  You need a spotter obviously to put the weight on your back and to take it off. 
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 3:20pm
I bicycled for 20 minutes today LOL  Tired me out.  My butt muscles are sore because I haven't used them since December LOL 

My calf muscles aren't looking so pathetic now because I can do calf raises (of course with partial weight).

I'm looking forward to this month of rebuilding all the leg muscles in the injured leg and also the uninjured leg Big smile
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2013 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by hana24

I bicycled for 20 minutes today LOL  Tired me out.  My butt muscles are sore because I haven't used them since December LOL 

My calf muscles aren't looking so pathetic now because I can do calf raises (of course with partial weight).

I'm looking forward to this month of rebuilding all the leg muscles in the injured leg and also the uninjured leg Big smile

I couldn't think of anything worse than having a leg injury again, it took me 2 years to fully recover my strength after tearing my acl
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 8:18am
Anyone here have an experience with mud races like warrior dashs or tough mudder?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
jmokim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jmokim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 8:35am
you could also try the lebron james ab workout. my friends have tried it and say it burns like crazy!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 8:41am
Originally posted by mluu003

Anyone here have an experience with mud races like warrior dashs or tough mudder?

I want to but I keep getting lazy on my work out to keep up.  LOL   My cousin just did the tough mudder and they said it was tough and hella cold.  
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2013 at 6:53pm
Its been a while since I've added a log to this thread.... which means I haven't been working out! Haven't been getting enough rest,, just going out to play and hang out.
This week I'm gonna get back into it again... get my energy levels back up. hate work.. schedule is messing me up!
Gotta get back to working my core/back/ shoulders/rhomboids quads. gonna throw in a little chest workout too
I actually wanted to do a class tomorrow.. but the times they have em, suck.. argh Tuesday is looking a lot better.
well until next time
I got in a few chin ups at work on a door ledge =p 2 at a time..was struggling
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 7:26am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

Originally posted by hana24

I couldn't think of anything worse than having a leg injury again, it took me 2 years to fully recover my strength after tearing my acl

Ouch Ouch  My roomie up at Mammoth tore her ACL a month after I broke my tibia.  Can't imagine how much work and PT is required for a torn ACL.

I need to roll out my legs on a foam roller.  I'm waking up with sore muscles every day in my legs.

Today is PT so I know they're going to work my leg.
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 5:22pm
Foam rolling is so nice and so painful all at the same time...I guess you can call it a double edged sword.
Recently got at 24" on wanted a 3' one but they didn't have any..great for legs and doing core on.. can't wait to get into it.. but gonna check my gym for a 3' first.. =p

I went to do a class today and I swear I got weaker.. I dunno what's up I think its all this chiro and spine aligning... body is all out of whack and probably needs rebuilding or something Had such a hard time doing level 1 today... sigh Hoping to do another class tmr morning.. gonna keep on kick my ass until all is normal again..
=D stayin' postive
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I want to but I keep getting lazy on my work out to keep up.  LOL   My cousin just did the tough mudder and they said it was tough and hella cold.  

Damn, the tough mudder is the mother of all mud races. I mean..running through a field of electrical wires? that's insanity.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 10:21pm

Damn, the tough mudder is the mother of all mud races. I mean..running through a field of electrical wires? that's insanity.

One of my professors did the tough mudder. Sinec he's bald the wires burnt his bald head. He also said that he blacked out for a sec going through the wires and flopped into the mud. Im going to do it one day.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 2:30pm
I'm proud to report that I got up this morning and ate a decent meal, got out of the house and attended a class, did some core work a little bit of shoulders and I think legs.. but now its a little fuzzy... shortly after I went to climb at the gym.. almost hurt myself because the damn pieces were loose...They put up some new problems  which look a lot more appealing than the older ones that they have. So looking forward to trying them out.
Shortly after I thought I had time to take a nap but didn't and quickly stuffed my face with some more carbs. and went to do another class, one that i did last week which really got me sore.. but today the class was a little different.. did core again with shoulders and arms, oh and glutes, pretty much the same muscles I worked in the morning.
Hoping to get in another class tmr.. but I'm gonna see how I feel.. thinking of doing a yoga class tonight to cool things down... humm... have about an hour to decide...
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 4:30pm
My gf's brother in law has gone nuts over the "Tough Mudder" challenge thing, and he wants to get a group together to do it. I think it'd be totally cool (though some of the obstacles sound BRUTAL!). I am by no means in shape for it at this point, but it doesnt come to POrtland til June, so it should give me a ton fo motivation to keep gettin my ass to the gym! Kickin ass!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 7:04pm
Damn, I want to give it a try too. The only positive part is that everyone helps everyone, plus it's not timed.

For anyone curious about the gnarly obstacles, here it is: http://toughmudder.com/obstacles/
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 7:56pm
Decided to do the Yoga class... glad I did.. good stretch out. Yoga Yin class I'm expecting so ass soreness tmr. to joga or not to joga...
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 5:58am
Originally posted by jhoang6

Decided to do the Yoga class... glad I did.. good stretch out. Yoga Yin class I'm expecting so ass soreness tmr. to joga or not to joga...

Where did you do your yoga, was it at 24 hr fitness or something?  I bought a yoga magazine once with the intent on actually going to a class but life happened.  I'm still very interested in yoga and the stretchy benefits it gives.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 10:43am
Find a copy of the PX90 (new or old versions) Yoga CD..  Excellent instructions and no fuss at all _ do at home with your own pace/intensity.  
Fear is the Mind Killer
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 11:05am

One of my professors did the tough mudder. Sinec he's bald the wires burnt his bald head. He also said that he blacked out for a sec going through the wires and flopped into the mud. Im going to do it one day.

Passing out from the electrical wires sounds brutal.  Shocked  What's the voltage on those?
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 11:16am
http://www.active.com/running/kailua-hi/mcbh-swamp-romp-2013

We have a few tough mud runs but electrical wires Ouch that kind of takes it _ that beats wading in sewer.
Fear is the Mind Killer
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 1:17pm
just shows you how old I'm getting half the right side of my body is aching after 4 hours of dodgeball in the 80 degree weather at the campus park. I've beginning to get back into the this sport just to improve on my reflexes.I'd enjoy it how much it brought me back my child hood memories of this brutal ball contact sport.
jmokim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jmokim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 1:39pm
trying to hit the gym everyday but its hard with school and work. anyone know of any good preworkouts?
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 2:14pm

Passing out from the electrical wires sounds brutal.  Shocked  What's the voltage on those?

10k. Looks like:

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 5:28pm
Here's the video that goes with that picture above^^

Enjoy...LOL

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 5:40pm
LOL, way to follow up my post man! I'm so gonna get my ass kicked! I'm not a big, burly guy. But i am 6'2 and occupy some space. So im pretty sure somethings gonna nip me once or twice.. or twenty times lol.

On that note, ive had my beer, now off to the gym!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by bubbagooch

Where did you do your yoga, was it at 24 hr fitness or something?  I bought a yoga magazine once with the intent on actually going to a class but life happened.  I'm still very interested in yoga and the stretchy benefits it gives.

This is out in Canada, Toronto its not 24hrs lol but this place pretty much has classes all throughout the day, almost every hour up until 8 or 11 sometimes.
I did quite a few workouts that day so I'm bound to have soreness but I think with the yoga class afterwards it helped to reduce the amount of soreness you would likely to experience afterwards... my smaller muscles like the ones that control my fingers are actually still pretty tired.. i had trouble typing today, the muscles through my arms and back.

There seems to quite a variety of Yoga classes Im not sure how too classify them yet but some are more relaxing.. and others are a little bit more intense. There are some where you're doing it in a very hot room, sauna even..

LoL that is some stupid insane shit running through 10k volts? of wires... but i wanna try it.  and yes you do feel it in your nuts.. LOL great reactions from the participants. Don't like the fact that I'm running through mud with my shoes though... I think that's the biggest thing that would hold me back from doing it. weird right? and there's only a small cup of beer at the end? common!
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 7:25am
so i just found out about these work out incentive websites like healthywage and gympact.  has anyone here ever heard of these?  healthywage will give you 150 bucks if you lose 10% of your body weight.  where as gympact will give you money if you successfully go to the gym the number of days a week you say you will go.  and if you don't, you pay money.

i find these work out incentive programs to be hilarious.  but i like it!
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 7:34am
How do they track you and keep you honest? Do they call the gym for attendance? It seems like a good idea but i still really believe that people should work out because they want to. Not because of other incentives. That way their true goal is to get in better shape and not lose money. That being said it s a food deal if you already go to the gym. It might as well be free money then.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 8:24am
Originally posted by nautika96

How do they track you and keep you honest? Do they call the gym for attendance? It seems like a good idea but i still really believe that people should work out because they want to. Not because of other incentives. That way their true goal is to get in better shape and not lose money. That being said it s a food deal if you already go to the gym. It might as well be free money then.
I would disagree with you there.. incentives are helpful in getting you to where you want to be.. I'm sure everyone wants to get in shape and be healthier but if there's more reasons to support that.. the likelier you are to... If I had that sorta program here. I'd kill it!

Went to do another class this morning.. it wasn't as intense as I remembered it to be.. not sure if instructor went easy or.. I got stronger.. possibly doing it wrong too haha
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 9:42am
Originally posted by nautika96

per gympact's website, They use the accelerometer in your phone to track movement. You put your phone on you in a place that will move frequently, like arms or legs, (seemingly inconvenient). They also support both iPhone and Android platforms.  They also have a RunKeeper addon that will keep track of your movement if you're running/jogging/moving outside of a gym. Questions? Check out their FAQ.
Im totally gonna have to check this out!
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 1:35pm
Anybody follow IIFYM? Just doing a bit of reading on it it seems to divide the fitness world
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 5:56am
IF that's the case.. then it totally wouldn't read my workouts..I don't do running/cardio.. although I'm trying to  swim..and i'm not about to strap a phone to my arm or leg while I'm doing that. plus i don't even have an iPhone or android...BB! aw well its too bad.
Im gonna try to do a new class today.. suppose to be High intensity. and I'm sure it will be.. ahhh nervous. we'll see just hope I don't get hurt. its at noon!
jmokim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jmokim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 11:18am
Do preworkouts really work?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by jmokim

Do preworkouts really work?

What specifically are you referring to?
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 2:55pm
it depends on what you're asking, by saying "they work". 

most do give you a ton of energy to work out after a long day. usually its caffeine or some other type of stimulant. Some can cause you to see gains sooner, but that might also be due to the increased water retention. 

some people hate them though because they can make you feel hot and light headed. some people even feel sick after taking them. I would recommend that if you get started on them, work up to the recommended dose. you dont want to take too much initially.

also that "stimulant" to workout after taking it may be psychosomatic for some, but for the most part, they work.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 6:48pm
I'm having breakfast for a night time snack ( =
so hungry and tired.. gonna eat up slumber good.
Didn't do any workouts this weekend..
but I did do that HIIT class and holy crap.. BURPEES! I swear my body is sstill burning through all the food I'm shoving down my throat.
Anyone out there who is looking to loose a couple of pounds.. I'd totally recommend it to you.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 5:17pm
Since I didn't workout this weekend I took it to myself to take a joga class today... didn't eat too much food today either.. only really had congee.. didn't have much liquids either now that I think of it....my body is fighting off something, quite positive of it.. as I'm doing the workout I can feel the weakness in my body, wanting to collapse and just barely holding position. Trying to stay on top of the other two factors.. food and rest... I can do the food.. but rest is more of an issue for me. I'm abusing the fact that I have a new bed, but I need to utilize it better.
Work out tomorrow?....hmmmm
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2013 at 2:28pm

I'm having breakfast for a night time snack ( =
so hungry and tired.. gonna eat up slumber good.
Didn't do any workouts this weekend..
but I did do that HIIT class and holy crap.. BURPEES! I swear my body is sstill burning through all the food I'm shoving down my throat.
Anyone out there who is looking to loose a couple of pounds.. I'd totally recommend it to you.

Any HIIT will kick your ass.  I recommend trying a Tabata if you want to torture yourself.  They are very hard and you feel like you want to die afterwards, but in a good way.  You do 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 8 cycles totaling 4 minutes.  There was a while when I was working my way up to a full Tabata cycle on the elliptical, but I stopped when I decided I didn't care about losing weight.  I think I got up to 7 cycles, so 3.5 minutes.  I might start up again because it's good for more than just losing weight.  It can be done with any exercise really, but I think elliptical and sprints are probably the best because they are low impact and full body and are more readily attainable than say doing it with burpees.  Burpeeing it is possible but I think it would take longer to get up to a full cycle (this statement is 100% bro-science and has been reviewed for accuracy by the New England Journal of Bro-Science). 
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2013 at 11:05pm
LoL bro-science, I like that reference.
i'm not in it to lose weight at all.. I'm in the reverse needing to gain weight. Just did this exercise again today and didn't have much to eat before the workout and it was SOO bad I was exhausted and felt light headed..mouth was dry and drinking water didn't seem do hydrate at all.
My cycles were 30secs on and 15secs off..  I'm not sure how many cycles we did but 5 different exercises either 2 or 4 sets.. In the heat of it.. my brain stopped keeping track.. and just started focusing on now getting hurt from being so fatigued.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 145>