The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 137138139140141>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jihyungchun View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12
    Posted: Sep/07/2013 at 10:27pm
well i'm in slightly better shape than i thought... if i push for it. i can do about 30-35 push ups in one set... and I used to workout at home a lot, but going to the gym (even if it's crappy) is really beneficial. I had very weak triceps, shoulder, and back... Now i target those muscles to compensate and it's gotten a lot better! but i fractured my ankle playing outside... so i can't even do my upper body... Doc told me i shouldn't even be walking lol
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2013 at 1:09pm
^Muse25
Thx. I'll have to look in to that. I'm currently using Salompas...don't know if I spell it correctly. It's like ice-hot patches but better.

^AngryMidgetYo
Thx...I know what I'll be getting myself for my bday.lol
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2013 at 8:54pm
Ugh...I hate running. Sprinting I like....long distance running I loath.
definitelynotsteve View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote definitelynotsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 6:07am
I've been making extensive use of my kettlebell in prep for this season. I found it made a huge difference in my pop off jumps last season. It also reduced first day soreness
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 7:40am
god... i want to start working out again but i have a fractured ankle now... so i'm not going anywhere or doing anything for the next 2months
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 8:27am
Originally posted by jihyungchun

god... i want to start working out again but i have a fractured ankle now... so i'm not going anywhere or doing anything for the next 2months
That doesn't mean you can't do core exercises and leg lifts. you can also do chin-ups/pull-ups or go to the gym and do lat pull downs.. lots of options still

had another realignment done for my spine. all is looking pretty good, given the last time i went was 4months ago. but apparently my first rib was sticking out.. due to breathing into the chest too much
Still at 50lbs on the dead lift, looking to go up to 60lbs the next time i go.. dunno when that will be maybe this weekend..
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote definitelynotsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 9:49am
If you're looking to increase your deadlift weight (as opposed to gaining more mass)I would highly recommend starting with 5 sets of 5 reps with 5 minutes of rest in between. I know it sounds like a lot of time between but it is important to control the variables if you're trying to track true progress, so make sure your rest times are consistent. As you get higher up in the weight reduce it to 3 sets of 3 with 5 minutes of rest in between, and then eventually 2 and 1 reps for your personal best. Last season (before I hurt my knee) I went from 165lbs to 320lbs in 12 weeks on this program. The general idea being that if you want to increase mass you want to work out until failure, if you want to increase strength you want to still have gas in the tank when you leave the gym. I have a personal trainer who is based out of Whistler and he helped me with snowboard specific training to increase power and (ironically) reduce the possibility of injury. Unfortunately my knee couldn't withstand coming up short on a 45 footer. Although I do agree that you can still be doing chin ups/pull ups and all sorts of other multijoint exercises even with a buck ankle
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 11:48am
i wish i could jhoang6...
i can't even do my upperbody at the moment... it's a relatively severe fracture and anytime i clench my body, it kinda hurts... I'd rather be safe for now
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by definitelynotsteve

If you're looking to increase your deadlift weight (as opposed to gaining more mass)I would highly recommend starting with 5 sets of 5 reps with 5 minutes of rest in between. I know it sounds like a lot of time between but it is important to control the variables if you're trying to track true progress, so make sure your rest times are consistent. As you get higher up in the weight reduce it to 3 sets of 3 with 5 minutes of rest in between, and then eventually 2 and 1 reps for your personal best. Last season (before I hurt my knee) I went from 165lbs to 320lbs in 12 weeks on this program. The general idea being that if you want to increase mass you want to work out until failure, if you want to increase strength you want to still have gas in the tank when you leave the gym. I have a personal trainer who is based out of Whistler and he helped me with snowboard specific training to increase power and (ironically) reduce the possibility of injury. Unfortunately my knee couldn't withstand coming up short on a 45 footer. Although I do agree that you can still be doing chin ups/pull ups and all sorts of other multijoint exercises even with a buck ankle
Thanks I'll try to keep my rest times more consistent, but not entirely trying to up the weight on the deadlifts, really doing the exercise to strengthen my core and lower back.
currently doing 3 -4 sets 8-10reps each, I'm starting out light to get familiar with the movement of the deadlift and in between sets i'm either doing another exercise or resting approx 2-5mins.. I think the last time i did the deadlifts i was hunching my back and my rhomboids were sore for a couple of days. I know 60lbs sounds like nothing for deadlifts lol but whatever.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2013 at 7:16pm

i wish i could jhoang6...
i can't even do my upperbody at the moment... it's a relatively severe fracture and anytime i clench my body, it kinda hurts... I'd rather be safe for now
strange, but not entirely. Sound like you need to learn how to isolate your movements, to me it sounds like your body is overcompensating stressing other parts when it really shouldn't. Focus on your movments coming from your core instead of your leg or even worst your ankle when doing ur ab workout., go light even, you don't have to go all out all the time.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 5:42am
lol true... I'm going to see a doctor today after work, and possibly get an x-ray. I think the fracture extended, it's no longer my ankle, but my lower leg as well... ARGHH
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 9:07am
ouch, you might want to heed to your dr.s recommendation and keep weight off it..good luck with the results!

shaking so much nowadays doing the core exercises..shaking in general really, feels like the body is going thru withdrawl or something i dunno. weird
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 9:34am
surfing this morning. Love starting the day off with a good workout :) 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 12:43pm

I've been making extensive use of my kettlebell in prep for this season. I found it made a huge difference in my pop off jumps last season. It also reduced first day soreness

I was thinking of buying a kettlebell but they're so damn expensive so I was thinking of just making a ghettobell using a water fill milk jug.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by kirium81

surfing this morning. Love starting the day off with a good workout :) 

Surfing is a great workout. Catching that wave is like mainlining! I don't surf anymore, though. After a bad session in hawaii where I walked away bleeding I've been too sketch to go out. Plus my paddle power isn't what it used to be.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2013 at 9:07pm
Still working on strengthening my leg and getting it ready for the season.  I noticed my knee area cracks now yay...?

thinking of just doing squat jumps and lunge jumps
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2013 at 11:43am
You will soon be known as old lady Hana and her cracking joints.  LOL  

I need to do all body work outs before my trip to HK and Japan in 2 weeks so I can pig out over there.  LOL  
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote definitelynotsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2013 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I was thinking of buying a kettlebell but they're so damn expensive so I was thinking of just making a ghettobell using a water fill milk jug. LOL

Check this video out, I have a man crush on this guy. All three of his books (especially the 4 hour body) have made a huge impact on my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9Yxn5a9D8
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 6:43pm
well... my xray shows my ankle is still messed up... so i'm just going to keep practicing guitar for now
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by hana24

Still working on strengthening my leg and getting it ready for the season.  I noticed my knee area cracks now yay...?

thinking of just doing squat jumps and lunge jumps
That would be awesome trainging for this coming season.
I've been back in the good and working out consistently gotta keep the back strong.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2013 at 2:51pm

You will soon be known as old lady Hana and her cracking joints.  LOL  

I need to do all body work outs before my trip to HK and Japan in 2 weeks so I can pig out over there.  LOL  

What a coincidence...I'm going to be in Japan in 2 weeks LOL  But I feel like you don't gain weight there because you walk everywhere and portion sizes are smaller.

Finally my trampoline induced vertigo is gone so I went to a bootcamp class yesterday...going again today.  Must prep body for snow and so I don't have old cracking joints LOL
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 6:12pm
well well well... looks like taking a 3week break from the gym made me super weak... went to the gym for exactly 30min and was completely wiped out... not sore but just too tired...
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2013 at 7:55pm
That much needed rest day helped a lot!!!!

I ran hill intervals and climbed a 5.10 in rock climbing later that night. I was beat!!!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2013 at 4:50pm
ooh i'm going rock climbing/hiking next weekend!! very very excited =p
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2013 at 11:22pm
Finally got back into the gym after 3-4 months off with a wrist injury and after one week back I got crunched playing football and now have bruised ribs Angry
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 10:50am

Check this video out, I have a man crush on this guy. All three of his books (especially the 4 hour body) have made a huge impact on my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9Yxn5a9D8

Neat tip but that would require me to gather the supplies to do that so I'll stick to the ghetto bells.  LOL
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 1:09pm
I'm gonna build myself one of these here...

11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by 2zz

I'm gonna build myself one of these here...

i'm going to start my lower body workouts in about a month, when i'm completely healed and can guarantee working out won't make my old injury worse... but i never thought of doing something like this for balance lol
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2013 at 9:38am
6 months of no alcohol or smoking yesterday! I celebrated by running 6 miles.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Muse25

that's awesome man! I'm trying to convince my dad to quit smoking, but hasn't worked for the past 25years
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2013 at 2:59pm

that's awesome man! I'm trying to convince my dad to quit smoking, but hasn't worked for the past 25years

How my cousins got their dads to stop was to bug the hell out of them whenever they catch them smoking.  LOL  Quitting smoking is a good step to better health so good job.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 6:01am

How my cousins got their dads to stop was to bug the hell out of them whenever they catch them smoking.  LOL  Quitting smoking is a good step to better health so good job.

i do tell him to stop every time i see him, but i don't live with them so that's not as effective lol
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 11:42am

Thanks! Smoking is a hard habit to quit. I used to be a regular smoker, then a social/vacation only smoker, or when I drink. But it's really hard at first. But whatever you do, don't convince him to go the vape route. That's actually worst for your lungs. And its a faster rate of getting emphysema.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 1:36pm

i do tell him to stop every time i see him, but i don't live with them so that's not as effective lol

You just gotta get your mom to bug the hell out of him then.  LOL

Vapor is that bad?  Everyone is all into that fad now, especially the little kiddos.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2013 at 12:17pm
I need to quit too. Effing school and work...not a good excuse to keep smoking.

Vapor pens are a healthier substitute, but most smokers that switch to that find it more convenient to use so they actually smoke more.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 11:56am
I've been taking my dogs for a long walk and using the treadmill at home.
belleayre View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2013 at 6:12pm
I've been kiteboarding but it hasn't been the windiest fall so far. 
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 11:32am
I thought it was pretty windy yesterday with a couple of breezes but I would think it's getting too cold to be in the water.
belleayre View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2013 at 3:22pm
It's comfortable now in NY with a 3/2 wetsuit. I'll probably keep kiting until Thanksgiving when the mountains open,
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2013 at 10:55am
Wow,  you must be used to the cold weather then well at least you have something to do to stay fit while you wait for the slopes to open up.
belleayre View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2013 at 5:11am
Keeping your body warm is not hard with the proper wetsuit or drysuit. It's harder to keep your hands warm and maintain good coordination in your fingers. It's an awesome sport and a good complement to snowboarding, but the wind is not as reliable as gravity and isn't always there on the weekends.

Gotta get out and do some rowing or paddleboarding on the less windy days.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2013 at 12:55am
Finally back in the gym, changing my workout split so I only do one muscle group per day per week. See how things pan out it seems to be the "in" thing these days
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2013 at 2:48pm
I'll start going back to the gym sooner or later... damn grad school
SGT712 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote SGT712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2013 at 5:07am
Started doing Focus T25 earlier this week.  I've done P90x and Insanity before, so these types of workouts are nothing new to me but I love that they're only 25 minutes long.  It's over before you know it and you're dripping in sweat.
Quiver: GNU Park Pickle 156
Stance: 15/-9, 24"
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2013 at 9:16pm

Has anyone had any experience with intermittent fasting? Reading about it online and viewing people's transformations I'm thinking about giving it a go. It will take a while to get used to having no breakfast but it seems very achievable and the potential results are pretty exciting

humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2013 at 11:40pm
Gym time is gone... now that I'm working and going to school so after 14 hours of work and school, I try and get a good run in before bed time.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 2:26pm
Ran 4.2 miles today. Woo I feel good, but my legs aren't too happy about it. 3 miles in and the fatigue hit me like a train and my pace slowed down but I got 4 miles in which was a big goal for getting back in shape!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2013 at 8:36am
Originally posted by humblerooster

Ran 4.2 miles today. Woo I feel good, but my legs aren't too happy about it. 3 miles in and the fatigue hit me like a train and my pace slowed down but I got 4 miles in which was a big goal for getting back in shape!

The pain means it's working!
Schutte5 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2013

Quote Schutte5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2013 at 9:29am
ive found that waking up a hour early to run a mile, do 50 push ups and 50 pull ups is doing a lot for me.. give it a try.
TheReaper_King View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote TheReaper_King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2013 at 11:46am
There is an app on the Google Play store called C25k that you can use. it has a timer on it and will alert you of when you should start/stop running and start/stop walking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141>