The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 45678 142>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote starang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The get in better shape thread 06/01to 12/31/12
    Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by djinhwan

i quit going to the gym i realized you don't need it

not necessarily, it depends on your goals.  If all you want to stay fit and healthy, then you're right.

The gym also provides lots of variety. You'll eventually hit a plateau doing the same old routine.  Also doing the same old routine could get kind of boring.
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 7:22pm
I hate running... should I?
I'm not fat or anything... and I stay active with basketball and softball (almost) every weekend,
do I still need to run? Dead
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 7:46pm
running isnt the only form of cardio, not to mention its hard on your body. swimming would be another option for cardio, rowing, biking, skipping... a lot of people hate running. look for other options.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 8:06pm
rowing will kill your shoulder the first few times you do it.
Camber Is The New Rocker.
maco View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cant wait for the season to start

Quote maco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by ShredBettyZoe

running isnt the only form of cardio, not to mention its hard on your body. swimming would be another option for cardio, rowing, biking, skipping... a lot of people hate running. look for other options.

Yeah running will kill your knees
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote starang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2009 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by myach

I hate running... should I?
I'm not fat or anything... and I stay active with basketball and softball (almost) every weekend,
do I still need to run? Dead

How often do you play basketball?
IMO bball is great cardio. Especially if you play multiple times a week.
choi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote choi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 4:19am
a few games of full court ball is great cardio 
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 6:47am
If you are a member of a gym and want a really good cardio workout take a spin class.  You will burn ~1000 calories in an hour.  I just stepped it up to 2 of these a week and I am noticing a difference already.
www.chargeharder.com
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 7:15am
What does a spin class consist of, Bru?
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 7:17am

Another great class if you have a gym membership is Boot Camp.  I thought I was in great shape until I took that class.  This class is a mixture of cardio and resistance training and is a great way to shed some body fat.

BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 7:31am
Originally posted by xxsweet_jen24xx

What does a spin class consist of, Bru?
It consists of riding a stationary bike for an hour while the instructor tries to kill you (maybe it just seems that way lol)  You simulate sprints, and climbs and all kinds of fun stuff that people do on bikes.  For instance yesterdays class consisted of like a 5 minute warm up then a 16 minute climb where you are standing up the whole time and gradually increasing resistacne while trying to maintain pace.  We then sat for a while and did some 30/30 sec sprints and rests, there was another 10 minute climb, and all kinds of other stuff.  It kicks your ass.  You generally lose about 2lbs just from the class in water weight due to how much you sweat.
www.chargeharder.com
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 12:23pm
yeah spin classes are no joke. i applaud everybody in em, bc those instructors are seriously insane. They're like drill sergeants on crack, i have no idea how they keep that much energy.
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 12:29pm
one of my coworkers is a big fan of spin classes... I don't think I can survive lol
he said it's easier on your knees too

rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local
Ready for the 2010 season!

Quote rocheezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 1:12pm
I did a spin class a few days ago. It was definitely intense. I know the gym I started at does a boot camp thing, too. Really early in the am. Maybe I'll suck it up and sign up for that.
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 1:52pm
I skipped the gym today, its not a day I usually go but since I was busy yesterday I didn't go, and it was probably closed since it was Canada day.
I was too tired tonight...
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 1:54pm
I'm taking a break from getting in shape...for tonight so I can eat as much gelato as possible Big smile
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Quote Kona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 2:05pm
Spinning class is great but for me, having large legs, I had to get biker shorts because I chaffed the ever living crap outta my legs! 
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 2:08pm
I've kept up pretty well this week with my exercise.  Saturday dragonboating, Sunday running and abs, Monday dragonboat, Wednesday more running and back.  I might take today off and just veg.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 3:02pm
dragon boating is nuts!! im impressed.. i've always wanted to try it or crew, thats one of the hardest team sports there is, i think.
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote starang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2009 at 9:30pm

3rd week doing p90x and still have yet to do the yoga.  just cant get through it. Confused
bmcmahan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bmcmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 1:52am
I kind of slacked of this week.  I only went to the gym 3days, but I did manage to get in 10.5 miles this week.
Even his enemy’s list him as there emergency contact.

heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 1:56am
Originally posted by herbbread

I've kept up pretty well this week with my exercise.  Saturday dragonboating, Sunday running and abs, Monday dragonboat, Wednesday more running and back.  I might take today off and just veg.

What is dragonboating?
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rocheezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 3:51am
Ditto the what is Dragonboating. And I know there are videos and such, but someone wanna give me a run down of what's involved with P90X? Do I need to go to a gym for it, or just buy a video and some equipment...?
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Quote Kona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 5:28am
The P90X def works.  I haven't used it, but i have a friend who just did the workout and not the nutrition part with it and lost 30 lbs in the 90 days.  All you need is dumbells and a pull-up bar.  If you don't wanna pay for the program, you can download all of the dvd's from torrent.  Also the workout is done at home for an hour a day.  Some days is actually working out, other days its like all stretching or yoga or something like that 
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote xxsweet_jen24xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 6:33am
I'd like to try a spin class sometime. I think I would like it.
choi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote choi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 7:04am
Originally posted by heischjr

What is dragonboating?

its much like a crew or rowing with lots more people. it originally started in china years ago and had the boats decorated with dragon heads, hence the name
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 3:27pm
yeah, dragonboating is like crew, but it's with paddles instead of oars.  imagine a giant canoe with >20 people in it with two people per row.  it's super intense and i absolutely love it.  and it's great to be out on the river on a hot day.
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2009 at 7:50pm
Missed the gym AGAIN, this is a bad week.
I have a headache, possibly a migraine. I dunno.
My plans took a sudden change from me going to the gym, to me having this headache for 9 hours and going to a dinner.
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rocheezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2009 at 4:23am
I had a headache too, yesterday...from 4 when I went on break for an hour til the rest of the night at work. =0(

I really want to run today before it gets too hot, but I don't want to run alone and I think my roommate is working the farmer's market on the square (outside our apartment).
GeckosGoMoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GeckosGoMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2009 at 2:11pm
My forearms feel like rubber.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2009 at 9:58pm
Today was a day off from the gym...going to the gym tomorrow morning Big smile
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2009 at 10:01pm
same.  hoping to get in another 4 miles
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dbowles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2009 at 10:12pm

same.  hoping to get in another 4 miles

Originally posted by hana24

Today was a day off from the gym...going to the gym tomorrow morning Big smile

Of course it was, you are the same person.

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote starang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2009 at 5:12pm
"rest" week coming up for my p90x schedule.

Hoping i stick with it.  When i needed a break from weightlifting, I usually got lazy and end up taking a longer break than I intended.

djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 4:04am
Originally posted by starang

"rest" week coming up for my p90x schedule.

Hoping i stick with it.  When i needed a break from weightlifting, I usually got lazy and end up taking a longer break than I intended.

my friend has been on p90x for a few months now and he follows it 100% through

hes lost tons of weight and is in crazy shape

also running isnt always a great option for cardio even if you don't mind it.  sprinting is actually said to be better than jogging
my mom says im hardcore
bmcmahan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bmcmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 5:40am
Got a 3mile run in this morning, after a weekend of food and beer.
Even his enemy’s list him as there emergency contact.

BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 7:21am
I have lost 6lbs in the past 3 weeks.  
www.chargeharder.com
choi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote choi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 8:01am
nice bru!! you still doing your sessions or are you workin out by yourself now??

about to head out for a serious chest work out.  had way too much crap foods this weekendDead
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 8:08am
I got done with the PT sessions on Thursday so I am back to working out by myself.
www.chargeharder.com
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 9:43am
after this long 4 day wknd, its gonna be an even longer day in the gym. It'll be good though.. im anxious.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 9:49am
I did a bunch of 12 ounce curls this weekend.
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by VermontRider

I did a bunch of 12 ounce curls this weekend.

Haha.  I bet a lot of people did that this weekend.
nufan06 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nufan06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 10:43am
I just run... a lot.

If you want to save your knees, stay off the sidewalks.  Run in grass, on streets (asphalt is much easier on your legs than concrete, believe it or not), or on a track.  Also, make sure your shoes aren't too old.  Once you get ~500-600 miles on a pair of shoes, it's time to think about replacing them.  Also, it's worth shelling out a little extra money on a good pair of shoes.  You may not feel a difference trying them on, but over time, your legs will start to notice when you have cheap shoes. 
2008 Option Signature 157
2008 Union Force (Thanks Sierra)
2007 Forum Youngblood 156
2007 Forum Platform V. 1.5
2007 Burton Freestyle

It's hard to snowboard in Kansas and Oklahoma.
winkiewinx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
bigfunfl.com

Quote winkiewinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 11:50am
How good is P90X???

Lets say I have access to it for free...would you recomend it?
www.therodeobullcompany.com
choi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote choi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by giftedhands67

after this long 4 day wknd, its gonna be an even longer day in the gym. It'll be good though.. im anxious.

i totally understand. i just finished a 2.5 hour gym session.  i held out on dips until the end when i usually do them in the beginning, i managed one dip and was done. 
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by winkiewinx

How good is P90X???

It is really good.
www.chargeharder.com
winkiewinx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
bigfunfl.com

Quote winkiewinx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 12:55pm
Insightful response! Wink
www.therodeobullcompany.com
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 1:16pm
Read through the thread P90X gets a ton of praise.  It is one of the best at home workouts out there.  Plus I answered your really inquisitive question.  "how good is P90X" LOL
www.chargeharder.com
forever11forum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote forever11forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 1:18pm
my goal is to be able to run 5 miles everyday without skipping a day
starang View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote starang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by winkiewinx

How good is P90X???

Its pretty good especially since you don't need much and can do it at home.  Also its pretty structured, so it keeps you on track which is a problem most people have when they start working out.

If you're looking to get muscular this probably isn't the way to go.  It's pretty much circuit training, which is meant to get you lean and cut.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 142>