Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving to Colorado
    Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 11:44am
Thanks both of you.  According to this stat, Denver doesn't start getting most of the snow until March. It's hard to believe that it'll get a foot overnight and all be gone by lunch. Do the temps rise that fast during the day?

Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Superorb

Thanks both of you.  According to this stat, Denver doesn't start getting most of the snow until March. It's hard to believe that it'll get a foot overnight and all be gone by lunch. Do the temps rise that fast during the day?

He was exaggerating.  
I'm just here for the titties
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 1:39pm
Actually I have seen it do that (a foot of snow then melt) on more than one occasion. I have seen temperature swings of 50f in 24hrs several times.
x_X
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 1:40pm
Happens everywhere occasionally, i wouldnt call it a regular occurrence though.  Not since i've been here anyways.  30 degrees, for sure though.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 1:45pm
You have been here a month :). Temperature swing of 40 is supposed to hit tomorrow to Wednesday. Almost every spring we will get a foot of snow one day all gone the next. Most of the extremes are in the spring.
x_X
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 1:59pm
Joel is pretty extreme I wouldnt argue with him.
www.chargeharder.com
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Joel is pretty extreme I wouldnt argue with him.

It's true, he out-core's me.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2010 at 2:08pm
X-TREME!

Out core? Is that when you cut the core out of the apple? I don't know if I understand this term "core"
x_X
eL.Snow.Boarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2010 at 3:13pm
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know exactly what's going on, but I say move. I can't stand when people say "You're only doing it for snowboarding", if its something you really enjoy and there is stuff to do there (jobs, girls, etc...) then why not? Snowboarding is something you do for a large amount of your time so moving to somewhere to do it more seems genius. 
digitalgiga View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2010 at 10:01am
Dude, i moved out to colorado last year, i had NO idea where to snowboard or ski. So i did something really weird. I had a bunch of snowboarding equipment i moved out here so i asked my Movers to help me out. LoL they knew SO MUCH, i love boulder, and the past winter has made it awesome snow conditions.
damanfb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2010 at 9:28pm

Wow man you have decided to come over to the dark side.  Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will try and answer them best we can.

I'm possibly moving to CO soon as well for Graduate School.  Looking at the school of mines.  Anyone have any recommendations on a good town to live?  I'm not completely for living in Golden since it's a little far from resorts to make a ton of trips.  So maybe somewhere in between some good resorts and the school.  Also, good school is a plus for my son.

I'd really appreciate anyone's experience in this.  I'm gonna visit a few places during my boarding trip this January but just thought I would ask here too.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2010 at 4:13am
If you go to mines your best bet is to live in Golden. You get the best of the city and the mtns. It's only about an hour to most resorts as you can just leave on hwy 6. There really aren't any good places to live in between.
x_X
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2010 at 8:37am
Golden is going to be your best bet if you are looking at the School of Mines. I understand that you feel it's somewhat far if you are riding regularly, but I assure you it's really not that bad and a whole lot closer than driving back and forth to Denver. Otherwise you can move out to Frisco or Georgetown, but then you'll be making the drive for school and there isn't really any where for your son to go to school.
ninja_monkey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2010 at 8:34am
Living in golden to goto ride in the mountains isnt that far anyways. We denver folk are used to a 2 hour+ commute to the mountains, so Im content with that. Like Ejekted said you could live in those towns along I-70 or breck/frisco/siverthorne but then you would have a 1 - 2 hr commute depending on conditions.

Plus, people rave about the small town feel of Golden, whatever that means. I think it means your private life is known to the whole community, lol.
damanfb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2010 at 6:14pm
Awesome! Sounds good.  I'm used to a 30min commute to school each day now so it would definitely be nice to live closer to the school.  An hour plus once or twice a week wound't be nearly as bad as this 30 min 5-6 days a week..  Thanks for the info.  Got any good resources to find out typical rent, utilities, etc?
redline253 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2011 at 5:51pm

Wow man you have decided to come over to the dark side.  Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will try and answer them best we can.

we also have cookies.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2011 at 6:04pm
my friend recently moved to colorado springs for work. she loves the weather there. I on the other hand love having an excuse to visit her.

job wise have you thought about working at the resorts? don't know if you've picked your city yet.
dconn324 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2011 at 6:16pm
THE VAIL!
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 7:35am
Looks like Denver to get slammed with snow soon if it hasn't already started.

So I was wondering, here in NC it was 25F last night and windy. I had on jeans, long sleeve shirt, beanie hat and a jacket. How do people in Denver dress when it's colder than that, especially to protect the face?
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 10:59am
we dress the same when it's colder.  25F is consider that cold in drier climates like Denver.  Now it would also depend on if you were planning on staying out for a couple hours or just walking from one place to another...
x_X
ABrad25 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Play hard or look good

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 11:07am
Yep thats how you know your a true native to cold weather 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

we dress the same when it's colder.  25F is consider that cold in drier climates like Denver.  Now it would also depend on if you were planning on staying out for a couple hours or just walking from one place to another...

I have heard that, for example, 25F doesn't feel as cold in Denver as it does in the Southeast, but it's still cold. Recently it's been pretty cold in Denver at night. Do people wear clavas in public? How else do you cover your neck and face, man scarfs?
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 11:44am
You don't see a lot of men wearing clavas or scarfs in public.  People just tough it out.  It's really not all that cold here.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 12:06pm

You don't see a lot of men wearing clavas or scarfs in public.  People just tough it out.  It's really not all that cold here.

What about when it's below 10F at night plus winds? Walking outside here in NC with cold + winds is like getting slapped in the face.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 2:08pm
same deal.  Unless you're working outside.  
x_X
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 2:29pm

same deal.  Unless you're working outside.  

Seriously. It's not that cold here. Don't get me wrong, we're getting plastered with snow and might even have a negative temp day in the city, but for the short amount of time I'll be out and about a beanie will be fine.

On the mountain is another story and when it's this cold, I definitely wear a ninja face mask.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 2:54pm
Wow, temps must be on a totally different scale in Denver, because it's friggin cold with wind chill here. If you tough it out you can't feel your face, that or it hurts like hell. Yeah, on the mountain I wear a clava as well, but sometimes it gets almost as cold just walking around the city here.

So looking at yall's current weather, it's 20F (windchill of 14F) with a low tonight of 3F (windchill of -9F) at 6pm CO time. That's not cold to you?
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 6:56pm
yeah it's cold.  but you don't sit outside for extended periods of time.  I have been in windchills down to about -40 so far this year.  It's colder than crap and if you are out there for more than about 5 minutes with exposed skin you can run in to frostbite issues.  But -9F windchill I would just put a hoodie on and try to protect from the wind.  

It's more about what makes you comfortable.  Doesn't matter if it's 20F or -20F wear what keeps you warm.
x_X
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2011 at 7:00pm
When it was 25F yesterday even the walk from the car to the store was friggin cold and especially so with the wind. My face/neck were damm cold, but I couldn't think of anything to wear where I wouldn't look like a weirdo.
Snow Day Colorado

B1-5G View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2011 at 6:14am
Dude, congrats on the move! I myself am planning to move to SW Co in August so fingers crossed. 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by B1-5G

Dude, congrats on the move! I myself am planning to move to SW Co in August so fingers crossed. 

Thanks!

It's getting closer, and we're visiting at the end of May for 6 days to do interviews and look for an apartment for our 1st year out there.
Snow Day Colorado

B1-5G View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2011 at 12:04pm
What area are you planning on looking at?
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2011 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by B1-5G

What area are you planning on looking at?

We're not sure yet, but the more West the better, that way we'll be closer to resorts and also mountain biking trails for me.
Snow Day Colorado

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 7:49am
To bring back a dead thread, we just got back from a week long trip to Denver to scope out the place. My wife was hired, and we filled out an application for an apartment. It rained the entire time we were out there, apparently it only does this a week or two out of the entire year. We'll be in the Thornton area. Not as close to the mountains as we'd like, but it is what it is.

We drove out 70 to Vail before we turned around, and we went over Loveland Pass on the way back. Damn was it beautiful landscape, snow as far as the eye could see. We also went out to Boulder and drove all over the Denver area. We're pretty stoked to be out there in July.
Snow Day Colorado

CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 7:58am

To bring back a dead thread, we just got back from a week long trip to Denver to scope out the place. My wife was hired, and we filled out an application for an apartment. It rained the entire time we were out there, apparently it only does this a week or two out of the entire year. We'll be in the Thornton area. Not as close to the mountains as we'd like, but it is what it is.

We drove out 70 to Vail before we turned around, and we went over Loveland Pass on the way back. Damn was it beautiful landscape, snow as far as the eye could see. We also went out to Boulder and drove all over the Denver area. We're pretty stoked to be out there in July.

This all day rain has been highly unusual.  If anything we normall get little 30 min storms that come through during the summer, and then it clears up right after.  Even people who live here are wondering what the hell is up with all this rain.  We need it though, it was dry as a bone all winter down in the city.  Pretty funny considering the mtns are at about 250% the normal snowpack.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 8:55am

Greetings Superorb! Welcome to the beautiful world of Colorado!!! Well, once you arrive in July that is.

Although that drive on 70 through the mountains is quite amazing you have so much more to explore.  There are countless back roads & canyon roads that will take you on some epic journeys through the mountains. It is amazing here throughout every season with tons-o stuff to see and do year round.

I live in the in the South Broadway area of Denver and it is a fairly easy breezy drive to the mountains and resorts. About 20 minutes to get to the mountains and anywhere from an hour and fifteen minutes to the closer resorts to 2 hours a bit deeper into the mountains. Keep in mind, weekend traffic can be rough. If I’m going up on the weekends we head out super early. Your drive from Thornton will be a little longer but all in all not bad and soooo worth it to be able to play in such a beautiful part of the country.

CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 9:13am
Also, I highly recommend trying to hit up a concert at Red Rocks this first summer you are here, it's an amazing venue.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2011 at 9:53am
Thanks guys! My uncle lives in Denver, and he also suggested a concert at red Rocks this summer. He had just gone to a concert there a few weeks ago too.

I think we brought the rain with us from the east coast :lol: Can't wait to get out there!
Snow Day Colorado

Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2011 at 1:40pm
Awesome. Wish I could move to colorado
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2011 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Weymaro

Awesome. Wish I could move to colorado

What's stopping you?
Snow Day Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123