Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local
Sella Nevea Italy 2012: I-FREE Finals - Italian Freeride Circuit

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Austrian Alps / Riden in √Ėsterreich
    Posted: Jul/28/2009 at 6:45am
I am wondering whether or not there are any members here who live in Austria as well or ride regularly in Austria. Since I am nearly always riding alone out here (cant find any crazy people to join me on the Glacier in the summertime!) it would be really cool to meet some people who are as insane about boarding as I am. Would be cool to get some runs in together for whoever is in the area!

Servus Miteinand! Gibts no a paar Verr√ľckte doherin aus √Ėsterreich bzw. welche st√§ndig in √Ėsterreich boarden? Leider han i hier fast keine Freunde die verr√ľckt genug drauf san um mit mir aufm Gletscher zu gehen im Sommer, oiso fahr i beinah immer alleine. W√§r l√§ssig wenn do a paar Gleichgesinnten w√§ren-viellecht gehts mal aus dass ma zsammen schredden gehen! Bin gespannt!! I w√§r aufm Kitzsteinhorn beinah jedes WE unterwegs... LG aus Pinzgau
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2009 at 1:02pm
Ich bin ja zwar net aus √Ėsterreich, aber daf√ľr wohne ich zurzeit auch net weit davon...

This past winter I hit up St. Johann, Steinplatte a couple times and Ski Welt.

Wanted to head down to Hintertux in March, but couldnt get anyone together.
Dont know what the weather is like at the moment, but I might be talked into heading that way, as I dont really want to wait any longer.
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2009 at 2:06pm
I don't live in Austria but should be riding there the first week of 2010. What places do you guys think are best to go to if I will only be there a few days? I will be traveling from Paris so looking for somewhere good but also easy to get to.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2009 at 5:43am
Do you have any tenative plans at all as of yet to where and when you are planning to travel? If you are able to be spontaneous, that would be the smartest as far as picking and choosing the best conditions. The first week of January is always a little tricky, hard to say that it will be sick anywhere special... I would recommend checking out the weather several days before and during your trip to get an idea of where the snow is best.
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2009 at 5:45am
Forgot to mention that the down side to that would be the short notice in trying to find a place to stay... that could either lead to slightly higher prices in lodging or the fact that you have a little drive to the resort... are you going to have a rental car or anything like that or are you staying with friends/family?
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2009 at 11:35am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

Ich bin ja zwar net aus √Ėsterreich, aber daf√ľr wohne ich zurzeit auch net weit davon...

This past winter I hit up St. Johann, Steinplatte a couple times and Ski Welt.

Wanted to head down to Hintertux in March, but couldnt get anyone together.
Dont know what the weather is like at the moment, but I might be talked into heading that way, as I dont really want to wait any longer.

Hey Derby... do you know the bergfex website? they have a great weather forecaster with acc. snow forecasts too which is great to plan with. they are pretty accurate too.

If you feel like riding Kitz this weekend, let me know... the portion that is open is very short, but we might be able to build a little kicker or something... or just jib around a bit... sent me a PM if youre interested.
LG,
Jenny
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2009 at 12:55am
I know bergfex and have checked it reg in the past.... just havent looked at it in a while.

as for this weekend... ehhh would love to, but im not sure whas going on here.
For that matter though... i currently dont have a way to get down there outside of taking the bahn.... which i dont exactly wanna do.

I was also looking though at driving distances and times and found it would take me longer to get down to Kitz, than it would to get down to Tux.... go figure right. lol

Bergfex says that kitz has only 3km open vs the 23 at hintertux.... just a thought. Oh and how much is kitz?
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2009 at 8:25am
Hey there!

aha.. no mode of transportation! Typical city slicker ;-)
Yeah, no idea of what train connections you have to Chillatal (Zillertal) or Pinzgau... 
I dont know if 23 is right at Tux... I would check their webcam directly in that case... I mean they usually have the Gefrorene Wand open which is where you first get off the lift, then you can ride down and take the Olperer back up the other side towards the park... the Gefrorene Wand is often just blank ice, but the count that as open trail and all... so I would be a little cautious with those details! Either way, it is often so that there are more trails in Tux than Kitz... and like I said before, the park is normally open in some shape or form. 
I also have no idea of what Kitz costs since I have a summer season ticket... I could imagine that both mountians are somewhere around 25Euro though... give or take a few.

Let me know if you make any semi-concrete plans or decisions!
Servus,
Jenny
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2009 at 8:25am
By the way... any chance that you rock climb????
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2009 at 3:36pm
no but im willing to learn! ;-)

and its bergfex that also says that its kitz 3: 23 tux........ either way..... ich habe aber trotzdem kein auto zurzeit...... bzw außer bahn..... keine dahinkommende möglichkeit.... :-(

aber wie gsagt, w√ľrd gern klettern lernen wollen.....
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2009 at 8:02am
Naja... oiso I war scho oben heute... es ist echt wenig noch offen aber zu mindest kannst a paar kleine Kicker oder sowas machen... und zum jibben und switch fahren reichts guat (i kann partout nit switch fahren!!) oiso han i a bissi im Schnee gespielt...

Wennst Lust hast hier zu fahren zu mindest, könnt i di von der Bahnhof in entweder Saalfelden oder Zell am See abholen, sind jeweils ca. 6-8km von mein Haus entfernt...

Aber es wie Bergfex sagt... es san 3 halt!!
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2009 at 8:04am
Ahhh.. und zwecks klettern, I bin momentan selber gar nit soooo gut drauf (mental und so) han ein wenig ein Sturzblokade was bedeutet es w√§re √§usserst schwierig f√ľr mich vorzusteigen wissend dass ein Anf√§nger sichert... aber vielleicht gehts mal so aus dass andere a dabei w√§ren... du kannst n√§mlich a am Kitz oben kraxeln!

Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2009 at 4:18pm
ja mei, wenn du so was sags...... wär mi lieber nach tux zu fahrn..... zuminds hams do no a bissrl schnee......i mein nur bloß?!?!?!?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2009 at 4:19pm
was meins di?
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2009 at 7:57am
Oiso i han aufm Website f√ľr Tux geschaut... do schaut des Blankeis √ľberall aussi aufm Gfrorene Wand auf jeden Fall... Parkseite sah besser aus aber der Park ischt nun geschlossen. F√ľr mi machts nit so viel Sinn extra nach Tux zu fahren was 1,5 bis 2 Std Autofahrt f√ľr mich bedeutet plus Liftkarte und dann noch auf Nacht zur√ľckfahren m√ľssen... I han hier Kitz direkt vor der Nase und ein Saisonpass... also bis auf der Ausnahme vom Parker√∂ffnung in Oktober... do w√§r i eher dabei!

Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2009 at 3:19am
Thanks for the response. I actually need to decide before I get out there. I am going to a couple different cities before I go to ride so I need to try and book everything ahead of time. Trying to do everything by rail as well.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 6:48am
Originally posted by NickinChicago

Thanks for the response. I actually need to decide before I get out there. I am going to a couple different cities before I go to ride so I need to try and book everything ahead of time. Trying to do everything by rail as well.

When did you say you were planning on coming out?? Maybe I can help you with some of the details when the time comes... just send me a PM if you want...
How is your french?
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2009 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Boarderin

Originally posted by NickinChicago

When did you say you were planning on coming out?? Maybe I can help you with some of the details when the time comes... just send me a PM if you want...
How is your french?

I will be in Europe from December 30th to January 9th. Snowboarding will be the 6th, 7th, and 8th. And I don't know any French yet. I need to learn some.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2009 at 5:29am
Ahh... ill miss you then cuz Im gonna be stateside for xmas myself... although i dont know exactly when Im coming home again and whether or not I will be here or there for New Years... 
The train system in France runs with the SNCF (if you google it) and the TGV (tran de grande vitesse) is their fast train.
I will have to look into what areas are the best to reach by train, not too sure there cuz I travel by car everywhere and havent really been anywhere else in France to snowboard other than Chamonix (which is really impressive but the best riding requires a mountain guide to hit the Vallee Blanche! and that could get expensive!)
Maybe I can figure something cool out for you!
Get going on French ;-) at least the niceities and all... is that a word??

guest_121619 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2009 at 8:32am

@ NickinChicago

You want to travel by train from Paris?

Well, I know a confortable overnight train connection from Paris to Salzburg. (should be -bookable at www.oebb.at)
Salzburg is located in the middle of Austria; so you got lots of ski-resorts around within a 1h or max 2h train-ride

You should notice that the austrian ski-resorts might be a little crowded by that time, because of the x-mas tourists.

write me a p.m for further informations

Tijmen View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2009 at 11:55am
Saalbach/Hinterglemm! One of my favourite area's in Austria. My sister's been a Ski-teacher there for 5 years! and I know the resort very good!

Cool you live there! My sister knows like the whole town (Babsy?)

Best off-piste imo:
dpenndorf View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2010 at 11:48am
Hey Oesterreicher,

Coming to snowboard Austria for a month, 20 Feb - 20 Mar.  Where should I go?  I'm planning on heading to Montafan Valley, staying in Schruns.  I hear their off-piste is as steep and accessible as anywhere.  If I like it there, I'll stay for the month.  But I'm flexible to do anything.  Maybe you all can help?  

Which resorts in your opinion have the best off-piste terrain?
Which resorts have the steepest inbounds terrain?  
Which resorts currently have the best Schnee conditions?  
Has this year been a year in which higher elevation makes a particularly big difference for snow quality?

run4fun View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Ukraine, Bukovel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 9:10am
I heard that austrian ski-resorts are the best in Europe. Is it true? I'd like to go to Ausria next season but have a limited budget. What is the cheapest resorts?
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 9:20am

Hey Run4fun... there are some great resorts around for sure!! I have a broken arm at the moment, so cant type much... send me a private message with some info about number of people going, how long and if you want to stay in one area or see a few... I will help you out when I get the cast off in like 3 weeks!

dpenndorf View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 10:43am
Hey Run4Fun.  Whether or not the Austrian resorts are the best is debateable (I sure like them!), but they are definitely cheaper than the other major alps resorts.  I recommend finding a huge resort which you can stay at for your trip - that way you can take advantage of their multi-day lift ticket discounts, and you don't spend on transportation besides initially getting there and leaving.  It seems like the Euros always go to only 1 resort for a trip, but I personally like to hit up multiple different resorts when I travel abroad to ride.  With the size of Soelden or Ischgl, you can be kept busy for days.  Of course the Arlberg region too, but everything is more expensive there.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 11:22pm
Dpenndorf... that only depends on where you are: I wouldnt really recommend Ischgl for example unless he said: I want to get as drunk as possible for maximum money with a crapload of Germans and Dutch and dont care much about the boarding Wink  If he is down with Park or Freeriding rather than trail riding, there are some other places to see I would say.

And if you want the one ticket but access to several different mountains, you could do that easily: Zillertal, Salzburger Superski etc...

But typing now sticks, in a few weeks i will be back in action though Big smile
Bangel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 9:16am
I just moved to italy and cant wait for piancavallo to open. but what are some good resorts to go to in the austria/italy/switzerland and what is the glacier like and where is it id like to go when my stuff finally gets here.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 3:34am
Ahhh, you in the army there?
Nearest glacier for you may be either Hintertuxer Glacier or even Kitzsteinhorn possibly driving up Felbertauern. There is also Pitztal and √Ėtztal... all in all its about a 4-5 hour trip for you to the next summer glacier.
There are also some great places down in France past Turin... definitely worth it to check out- cheap accomodation there too but about 6 + hours or so.
Jogol View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 12:42am
Have you noticed, that you can't choose proper ski resorts for your profile?
There's not a single resort of Germany. Not even the Zugspitze and even a couple of Glaciers are missing in Austria...

I'm going to Stubai around Silvester. Does anyone have any info about the resort? Last year we were lucky with lots of snow. The Wilde-Gruben was quite awesome and the other unprepared routes, too.
I believe there must still be heaps of powder routes down that mountain but I didn't find that many.
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 11:20pm
Get on the Apre Ski in Austria, did a season in St Anton, was drunk like 5 months straight, first run each morning so hungover then was a ok, then more apre, SO LOOSE!
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 10:00am
Jogel: I was at Stubai this weekend, although this weekend was pretty bad due to sick wind and fog, there should be heaps of snow by the time New Years Eve comes around.
If youre going in backcountry there, keep in mind that there are cravasses around although they should be pretty well filled in by January.
dneureiter View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 1:04am
Hi. I just moved to back to Austria from the U.S. and am basically looking to spend my winter riding with some work here and there. Don't really know to much about ski areas here yet but would love to get out soon. Located around Salzburg.
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2010 at 2:44am
An Dneureiter:
Bin auch in der Salzburger-Bundesland, Heimatgebiete: Saalbach-Hinterglemm und Kitzsteinhorn hauptsächlich. Schick mir ein Privatnachricht hier und ich gebe dir mein Handynr falls du mit uns gehen willst mal. Wir sind hauptsächlich im Gelände unterwegs wenns Schnee erlaubt.
Willkommen zur√ľck und vielleicht bis bald mal!
LG,
Jenny
 Post Reply Post Reply