Sierra Snowboard's World Tour *Updates 3/2*

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 19>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mike View Drop Down
Sierra Warehouse
Sierra Warehouse

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sierra Snowboard's World Tour *Updates 3/2*
    Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:42am
UPDATE 3/2:
We have changed the weekend of the Tahoe event.  Please see the calendar below.  It is now the weekend of the 17th & 18th of April.

Bruizzapalooza was so much fun at Sugar Bowl here in Nor Cal, we want to take it on the road.  Check out last year's official Bruizapalooza thread  and Matt's 'thank you' thread for a peak at the shenanigans that went down.

We're thinking 5 stops, because it's Sierra Snowboards five year anniversary. 

Maybe we can go West Coast to East coast.  Nor Cal, North West, Colorado, and Stowe Vermont, and maybe July in New Zealand.

We want everyone to try and make it out to the Bruizzapalooza near you...

UPDATES: Steamboat Colorado offically planned and booked
We will be staying at the Steamboat Grand Hotel at the base of Steamboat for the weekend.  

Check out this product page to purchase your 'package' to ensure that you have the ultimate hookup for this event.

$199.95 For the two nights lodging (Fri & Sat) and two days (Sat & Sun) of riding (Jan. 22nd-24th)

$249.95 For the three nights lodging (Fri, Sat & Sun) and two days (Sat & Sun) of riding (Jan. 22nd-25th)

Both of the following packages include lodging (~$450+ value), lift tickets for two days ($190 value), 2011 demo, cocktail party and breakfast both Saturday and Sunday mornings as well as a custom designed t-shirt by Mr. Phil Wiles.
All GREEN DATES will be final!
**We had various events and holidays to try to work around and did our best to spread the events out a bit for to make it easier for people to plan time off from work.  We apologize if this doesn't completely mesh with everyone's schedules, but we did our best to work this much into a short time period.  We hope to see as many of you as possible at each stop.**

BRUIZZAPALOOZAJanuary 23-24
We will be staying at the Steamboat Grand Hotel at the base of Steamboat for the weekend.  

SHAKAPALOOZAFebruary 27 & 28: Stevens Pass, Washington
(nearest major airport: Seatac; nearest small airport: Wenatchee)

BETTYPALOOZA: March 27 & 28: Stowe, Vermont

SIERRAPALOOZA: April 17 & 18:  Sugar Bowl, California
(nearest major airport: Reno (or Sac if you want to go by Sierra's store); nearest small airport: Truckee)

All you Aussies & Kiwis, throw us some suggestions of when and where we should go in NZ!!

Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:44am
I'm down like 4 flat tires
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:45am
Jackson would be awesome - but Jackson isn't exactly close to many people. Pretty much everybody would have to travel a good distance for that.

Also - no SLC? 
I'm here for the gangbang....
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:46am
Holy crap i will go to at least 2 of those.

I also support Jackson, i've always wanted to go there and wouldn't turn down a reason like bruizzapalooza!

Should this happen, i call shotgun on Shaka's couch.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:47am
Going down like Monica Lewinski!

Is there snow in Tahoe in December?
Defiant View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
life.

Quote Defiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:48am
Mmm anywhere in Norcal I can probably make it =)

Sounds like fun, Lets hope for an early winter!ClapClap
PindaBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote PindaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:48am
Crap where's Europe man!!? lol

Sounds like allot of fun, you guys enjoy. I wish I could make it but I can't Cry
Live your dream, don't sleep through it
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote craigalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:48am
somewhere in the midwest would be nice! Big smile

BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:49am
Count me in.  
www.chargeharder.com
ste_funny View Drop Down

Quote ste_funny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by shakazulu12

last year there wasn't too much, but the year before that there was a good amount of powder.  hopefully this year will be better.
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Quote Mike.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:50am
yes Tahoe is a reliable stop for december!
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:51am
Originally posted by shakazulu12

Depends on how much we get in Oct/Nov, but there's usually not a ton. 

Christmas week has usually been when the 1st major storm has been coming.  Before that most mountains aren't even open 100%. 
Mike View Drop Down
Sierra Warehouse
Sierra Warehouse

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:52am
Lot of Talk about El Nino, so hopefully December will be real good in December
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:53am
wow, this is a pretty cool idea.  i'd definitely try to make the december norcal and the east coast trips.  
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:54am
ahem.

EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO)
DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
issued by
CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP
6 August 2009

ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory

Spanish Version

Synopsis:  El Niño is expected to strengthen and last through the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2009-2010.

A weak El Niño was present during July 2009, as monthly sea surface temperatures (SST) departures ranged from +0.5oC to +1.5oC across the equatorial Pacific Ocean, with the largest anomalies in the eastern half of the basin (Fig. 1). Consistent with this warmth, all of the Niño-region SST indices were between +0.6oC to +1.0oC throughout the month (Fig. 2). Subsurface oceanic heat content (average temperatures in the upper 300m of the ocean, Fig. 3) anomalies continued to reflect a deep layer of anomalous warmth between the ocean surface and thermocline (Fig. 4). Also, convection was suppressed over Indonesia and enhanced across the western Pacific and near the International Date Line. In addition, developing El Niño’s often feature westerly wind bursts over the western equatorial Pacific, such as the one which occurred at the end of July (Fig. 5). These oceanic and atmospheric anomalies reflect El Niño.

A majority of the model forecasts for the Niño-3.4 SST index (Fig. 6) suggest El Niño will continue to strengthen. While there is disagreement on the eventual strength of El Niño, nearly all of the dynamical models predict a moderate-to-strong El Niño during the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2009-10. A strengthening El Niño during the next few months is also suggested by the recent westerly wind event in the western equatorial Pacific, which can lead to additional anomalous warmth across the central and east-central equatorial Pacific during the next two months. Therefore, current conditions and model forecasts favor the continued development of a weak-to-moderate strength El Niño into the Northern Hemisphere Fall 2009, with the likelihood of at least a moderate strength El Niño (3-month Niño-3.4 SST index of +1.0oC or greater) during the Northern Hemisphere Winter 2009-10.

Expected El Niño impacts during August-October 2009 include enhanced precipitation over the central and west-central Pacific Ocean and the continuation of drier than average conditions over Indonesia. Temperature and precipitation impacts over the United States are typically weak during the Northern Hemisphere Summer and early Fall, and generally strengthen during the late Fall and Winter. El Niño can help to suppress Atlantic hurricane activity by increasing the vertical wind shear over the Caribbean Sea and tropical Atlantic Ocean (see the Aug. 6th update of the NOAA Atlantic Seasonal Hurricane Outlook).

myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:55am
Last couple of years have seemed to be unusually light in the snow department until January. 
Even in slow snow years though, There's at least a handful of places open. Boreal opens early, but a lot of times isn't much. 
Northstar and Heavenly have the best snowmaking in Tahoe - and by December both normally have a good deal of terrain open. 

Sierra normally tries to get some stuff open - but honestly, they'd be better off if they didn't. I've had to hike through rock gardens on more then one occassion there.

For the rest - it all depends on how much snow we've had, and the directions the storms have come from.
If they drop down from the north - Places like Sugarbowl, Squaw, Alpine, Northstar are better. If they come straight from the west - Kirkwood gets nailed, and the resorts along the western ridge get a good deal. Places like Northstar, Rose, Heavenly, and Sierra tend to get a little less with those storms.

pepitojones View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote pepitojones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 11:57am
I am in for sure.
Nobody touches the Shaqtus.
quiwi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote quiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:02pm
I'll go for Stowe :-P
JMSM512 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JMSM512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:02pm
Sounds great - Definitely in for Stowe
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dbowles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:02pm
I'll be down for Colorado, and I was already planning on going to Bruizzapalooza. So count me in for 2

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:05pm
Colorado, NorCal and maybe New Zealand i would try to swing.  Jackson would be interesting for people to try to get to, I at least have a place to stay there and my cousin does PR for one of the bigger hotels there.
x_X
Defiant View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
life.

Quote Defiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:13pm
So is an el-nino winter good for us or bad? =/ more snow or less?
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:20pm
It is a good thing.
www.chargeharder.com
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Quote lineears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:24pm
WHISTLER ...
or actually....maybe not. winter olympics...might cause a tad problems.
Go Canucks!
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:27pm
i say we do the tahoe stop last (except for NZ) so it can be the biggest. since thats the stop most people are gonna be going to. i still like the end of march for the tahoe trip. really anytime is good for baker since they get a ton of snow.
Camber Is The New Rocker.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:30pm
I also like doing the tahoe one in late March.
www.chargeharder.com
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:43pm
what bru says goes
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 12:57pm
mammoth would be awesome.  not sure which other ones i would be able to make it to
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by gsrrr

mammoth would be awesome.  not sure which other ones i would be able to make it to

I second Mammoth.  It'll all depend on the dates if I can make it or not
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:10pm
east coast pretty much has to be late season. 
Early season the snow is weak, and mid-season it's brutally cold (ice).
Late feb could work - but even late feb temps can still be a bit brutal. you have a 50-50 shot of it either being nice and warm (soft) - or freezing cold. That time of the year, freezing cold means solid ice.
March is a good time on the east coast, because the temps have started to come up enough that it breaks up that ice and gives you something to ride during the day. Think northstar on a warm sunny day - and that's what VT is like in march for the most part.

If I were picking out the times - I would do it like this:

JAN  : Colorado (26th - 28th, the days immediately leading up to SIA)
FEB  : Baker (mid-month - burried in snow)
MAR : Stowe (early/mid month - best time to be on the east coast)
APR  : Tahoe (early april - slushy end of season park fun)
JUL  : NZ

It's not a straight east->west or west->east sequence of dates - but I think it would line up the best likelyhood of either excellent conditions and/or cheap/easy travel for each location.

destroyer3013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote destroyer3013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by myke

Jackson would be awesome - but Jackson isn't exactly close to many people. Pretty much everybody would have to travel a good distance for that.

Also - no SLC? 
Theres lotsa good places in SLC. It should definetly be a stop on the tour!!!
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:21pm
Milton Keynes Snowdome England LOL
More Tea Lord Douglas?
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:37pm
Doesn't make much sense to do a SLC meet up when we have a CO meet up.  
www.chargeharder.com
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:40pm
that sounds cool! I'm in
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Agreed

Stowe will/would be fun - but it's going to be tricky.
Not really any major airports in the area.
Could fly into Burlington - but no direct flights. Not the easiest trip in the world.

Closest major airport is Boston - which is still a good 3.5 hrs by car...

ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:51pm
This is awesome. There's now way I am going to get to go, but maybe for the 10th anni. This is an excellent idea.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:52pm
It would be sweet for you guys to come out and ride the Jackson area. That is where I ride now. So much fun.
Grand Targhee got 530 inches of snow last year. Great place to ride.

I might be able to hit up the Nor Cal one if I am on break from school in Dec or spring skiing.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Timmay_650

]It would be sweet for you guys to come out and ride the Jackson area. That is where I ride now. So much fun.
Grand Targhee got 530 inches of snow last year. Great place to ride.

I might be able to hit up the Nor Cal one if I am on break from school in Dec or spring skiing.

I would love to do jackson.
Even if Sierra doesn't make an official stop there - I might on my own regardless. One of my favorite places ever.

Mike View Drop Down
Sierra Warehouse
Sierra Warehouse

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 2:15pm
I like how talk of Jackson won't go away.  
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Quote lineears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 2:25pm

i guess mount baker for me it is..

:)

Go Canucks!
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

same could be said about Jackson.  Except the landscape is better.
x_X
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote GUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 2:26pm
It sounds like a great idea and great times will be had, but maybe we might need to tone it down a little.  

The fun will come from having the most members of staff and community riding together. If we spread it out over 5 locations were only gonna get a few people at each one.  Instead of 5 halfway decent meet ups i say more like 2 big ones.  West coast to East coast.    That way everyone meets half way and we can still get a decent size group together.

Maybe Big 30 person Condo at squaw on weekend, and then the next off to Vermont for a tour of the Burton factory and some east coast riding.  

I dont want to sound like a nay sayer, but i think we should plan small and end big, not plan huge and be dissapointed? maybe?  

*Insert Something Clever Here*
lineears View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
booyA!!!

Quote lineears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 2:30pm

So no more baker? =(

But..30 person condo and tour of burton factory...i think thats enough incentive for me to fly down there...

Go Canucks!
Mike View Drop Down
Sierra Warehouse
Sierra Warehouse

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 2:56pm
The point is to get out to all parts of the country were the Sierra Community live and ride.  So we got to do five.  I also think it will give more people a chance to attend if there are more and closer to home.  I like to think and plan big, its more fun that way. 

You can't go wrong with Baker in the North West (I know Johan at Capita Union would give us the home town treatment, not to mention Mervin) Vail in Colorado is my choice (good timing around SIA Myke), the Burton factory tour and Stowe, 

Nor Cal back to Sugar Bowl and this time we take over the entire lodge or over to Squaw or Northstar?

Lets sort this out as a community and come up with a plan that gets everyone out riding together.

That means you Nu Nu

phizzle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote phizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 3:12pm
ahhh but baker is too far away!
"So which one is the hot tub casanova"?
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 3:21pm
i say we take over the entire lodge at sugarbowl. they treated us well.

although i would rule out northstar or sqwaa
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 3:22pm
that sounds like a sick idea and i'm all about it granted i can get the time off for it.  stowe is damn good time despite the cold... low temperatures don't bother me a bit as long as i'm not shoveling or doing something weak.
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Phatman

I'm down like 4 flat tires

Worrrrrrrrrrrd.

I'm on that like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm.
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote GUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 3:31pm
Looks like im gonna need some time off!
*Insert Something Clever Here*
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2009 at 3:35pm
I like how talk of Jackson won't go away.  
I know it's not going to happen, but the place is absolutely utterly ridiculous.... words can't describe...

Originally posted by Mike

The point is to get out to all parts of the country were the Sierra Community live and ride.  So we got to do five.  I also think it will give more people a chance to attend if there are more and closer to home.  I like to think and plan big, its more fun that way. 

You can't go wrong with Baker in the North West (I know Johan at Capita Union would give us the home town treatment, not to mention Mervin) Vail in Colorado is my choice (good timing around SIA Myke), the Burton factory tour and Stowe, 

Nor Cal back to Sugar Bowl and this time we take over the entire lodge or over to Squaw or Northstar?

Lets sort this out as a community and come up with a plan that gets everyone out riding together.

That means you Nu Nu

Squaw's almost a little too big and too much variety. I think the group would scatter a bit too much. Great terrain, great mountain, but too easy to get spread out all over the place.

I like northstar - but northstar just gets a bit too crowded for something like this. It's fun - and i think most people would have a good time - but I think people who don't ride there a lot would get really frustrated. 

I think sugarbowl is absolutely the perfect place for a meetup like this. Big enough and enough variety of terrain to keep it interesting for a group of people. Small enough we can still 'take it over'. The resort it's self just lends it's self to cozy community vibe as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>