de tunning

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scorpio67 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scorpio67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: de tunning
    Posted: Nov/04/2006 at 5:44pm
what the hell is de tuning and is it for real or bull shit why would you want to take the sharp edge off of your board ....any opinion appreciated
no mater where you go ....there you are!
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2006 at 6:18pm
You want to detune your nose and tip cause you'll never be riding on that... and u'll also want to detune ur effective edges a bit after you sharpen, so it's not deadly that when you're riding, u catch edge and pancake into the snow..
RoxySnowBunny View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote RoxySnowBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2006 at 9:09am
Nu is right. You know when the snow is really wet and slushy how your board is squirely in the flats? That is because the tips are catching the snow and making your board ride funny. A lot of freestylers detune for extra foregiveness. Also, people detune to make their boards ease into a turn better. Don't take off too much!
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2006 at 8:54pm
it's a hard process I am still worried to do myself because i don't want to sharpen/detune too much.. if u got a friend that does it, watch him and get some pointers.
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2006 at 8:57pm
The detuning process is Tecnically variable to every person. Over time you will get a feel for what you like. It is truly incorrect for a shop person to say that all people should detune one-half inch or some other specific value. The amount of detune is affected by weight, height (yes I said height for those of you who don't believe that height has any influence in snowboarding...not you Nu), style, preference, board, etc, blah blah blah. The snow conditions will affect your choice too. Go out and carve your board and see if you think it initiates or grabs into a turn too quickly. See if you hook up off jibs or jumps. See if it is trying to turn when you are riding it absulutely flat in the flats to the chair lift. If so, dull down just a bit on the tips starting from the contact points. I would say work in 1/4 or 1/8 increments. You don't need to dull much. Just knock the sharp edge off.

Also, you may want to dull the nose and tail of the board if you have a full wrap edge. This does nothing except protect your board. It protect you from snagging a tip if you get really far forward, or come up a bit shy on a rail.
Andrew View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2006 at 5:49pm
Could someone elaborate a little more on some of the ways a board behaves when it needs to be detuned? 

TIA
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2006 at 10:59am
The board actually behaves in many different ways. I just took my brand new Andy Finch up and rode it un altered. It was not too catchy for me in carves. In fact some carvers don't like detuning. But let me elaborate on the theory so you can understand whenyou need it or don't.

When you put your board on edge and the turn starts to intiate on the nose some things are going on. The board is not realy carving a pin point single line track at this point, even though you may. It is skidding building up pressure, trying to make a track to follow. Now if you edge is sharp at this point it will grab more quickly than if it wasn't. Sometimes people don't like how quickly a tip initiates. It makes them feel like the board is trying to turn much faster than they can handle. Perhaps on a hard carve they are being thown out of their balance point on initiation.

For freestyle you are concerned about the same thing, but for slightly other reasons. Obviously when carving up a wall in the pipe, similar things are going on compared to a carved turn.  But I want to thing about when you spin a Backside 3 for instance off a table. You pressure your toes a bit to have a foundation to rotate off. However when you get on your toe edge your board wants to turn. That's why some pros shoot off jumps to one side when spinning. So it may be practical to detune to keep your board in a straighter path. You may notice that your board is trying to turn to much on takeoff.

For landings the same thing is critical. We all want to stomp tricks perfectly like Pete Line with his cab 9 in the X-Games year back, but this is not practical. Even the pros land on edge sometimes. But when you land a trick on edge, you don't want your board taking off in a turn while you are trying to regain balance. If you feel like this is happening detune.

As far a jibbing: Edges are the devil. Detune Base Bevel whatever. The base bevel is good here because it makes a slight upward angle on the edge tends to be less catchy on burrs when the sliding edge strikes it straight on. You could take this a step further and make that striking edge a bit duller by detuning the whole effective edge length.

But a definate tell-tell sign is when you are in the flats and headed back to the chairlift. Run your board perfectly flat and let it glide with no edges whatsoever. If your board is wanting to grab at the nose and tips and catch, detune a bit. Do the same for switch.

The amount is depending on a lot of factors. I used to carry race gear to the top of the mountain on my back while snowboarding. The bag was 50
+lbs. I noticed that board that perfectly detuned for my weight was now needing a serious detune with the extra downward force. The reason has to do with pressure distribution cause by camber and other stuff, but that it isn't important right now. Your height will affect the detune amount slightly in carves if you are front loading you nose at turn entry. Snow conditions will affect detune amount. Your board is much more catchy in the soft snow than in ice. So be aware aware what is normal at your season and adjust. Luckily the weather goes from cold to hot, so you can start with a small detune and adjust if necessary.

Hope this helps.
Gnarcissist View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gnarcissist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2006 at 10:46am
wow...if that doesn't answer peoples questions on de-tune.....

Great post Brody!
" Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Sir Winston Churchill
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 8:40pm
The irony is that I haven't detuned my Palmer Andy Finch yet. I left out the fact that some people don't like to detune because they like the way thier board initiates, and they also don't like waste precious carving edge. I haven't noticed and problems with my Finch with no detune. Again it is all preference.

Also, let me reiterate that you don't need to take a file to your edge to detune. All you need to do is use a gummi stone or deburring stone. You just want to knock off the dramatic sharpness in that region.
Andrew View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2006 at 8:53pm
Are you all still working on getting some stones in?  Any ETA on them?
World in Panic. Cities In Flames. ... Let it Burn
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2006 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Andrew

Are you all still working on getting some stones in?  Any ETA on them?

I totally forgot, I'm sorry. Private Message me to keep me up on this stuff. I was going to get some stones at Wal-Mart right??? I need to get some gummi stones too. Let me see what deals are out there. Thanks for the reminder.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2006 at 8:46pm
saw a swix gummi stone (hard) at dick's today for $5.99.... didn't get.. waiting for sierra LOL
DrOpOwT SnOw View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DrOpOwT SnOw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2006 at 8:14pm
wow ok. learn something new everyday. i never thought bout detuning the nose and tail. sweet thanks guys.

personally i keep one of my boards rather sharp, just cuz its my b/c board and i dnt really want to detune it too much cuz there doesnt seem to be sense too, unless u guys know something i dont know bout edges in pow...

and my park board is pretty dull, which is good for rails and boxes. well and from experience this summer, my friend had to sharp of edges and caught his heel edge off the lip of a jump while tryin a bs 3 and broke his colar bone. soo its good for carvin off the lips of jumps too :).
all i know is thank god i dont live where there is ice, cuz i would be soooo confused on how my edges would need to be.
ice free is the way to be!
visit our website at http://www.dropowtsnow.com
thanks fellas.
andbentley@dropowtsnow.com
brodster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
What is there to say-

Quote brodster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2006 at 7:39am
Personally, I don't detune my board, unless it is my freestyle stick. I like as much edge as I can get.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2007 at 1:16pm
since we are talking with the masters, i'd like to ask that most people way not know what they should be detuning with?

i'll let the master (Brodster) reply with full details!
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2007 at 10:56am
please post videos because i have many skepticisms too
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2007 at 8:34am
2010? More Like 1910
harry sarg View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote harry sarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2007 at 9:24pm
good advice for sure, i think i need to do this!
not sure what to put here
604Poker View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote 604Poker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2008 at 10:07pm
if it feels like you're getting stuck and its hard to turn
is that the edge being too sharp as well?
goride View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote goride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2008 at 8:14pm
when people say 2 degree bevel are they talking about the side edge, base edge, or effective edge?

also for all mtn freestyle from the park to the pow would you recomend an 89 or 88 effective edge?
I like squirrels

Official snowboard gear whore club
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20563
 Post Reply Post Reply