Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowboarding in Japan
    Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 8:26pm
Heading off to Japan for a couple of weeks in mid Feb, just realised it's the middle of the snow season up there.  Hoping to spend a couple of days at the slopes in between other sightseeing. Spending the most time on major cities e.g. Tokyo, Kyoto.  Just wandering if anyone knows where the closest quality resort is and reachable by bullet train?

from research so far, Hakuba in Nagano seems to be the pick.  Anyone have any recommendations?
easyrider View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 8:35pm
what about hokkaido? I think that's where the Absinthe crew shreds and in that Oakley vid community project. your a lucky sob by the way!
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 8:47pm
niseko resort probably best pow resort in japan
zhenjie View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 8:53pm
Over 600 resorts, you have many many options.

But the most well known and easy to get too via train from Tokyo would be Hakuba. Also look into Shiga Kogen, Nozawa Onsen. All nice easy places to visit.
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 8:54pm
thanks guys, i would love to go way up north there, but we've only got 10 days i think.  Gotta somehow get in some sigthseeing in Tokyo and a couple of days boarding so afraid we have to go somewhere close.  well they had the winter olympics in Nagano so can't be bad right?
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2009 at 8:57pm
sounds good zhenjie, we don't speak any japanese at all either so somewhere that's popular with internationals would be good too

i heard shiga kogen is one of the biggest resorts around, that could be the pick for now
tm12881 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2009 at 9:18pm
Gala Yuzawa could be one of your options if you're looking for an easy access via public transportation.

Check it out.

http://www.galaresort.jp/winter/english/

They have their own train station.
B-rad View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
bang bang

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2009 at 9:27pm
has anyone riden at Hakuba or Nozawa Onsen? just wondering what the snow is like there or if its worth payin a bit more and head up to nesiko?
..B-rad..
JMSM512 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2009 at 3:22am
Hokkaido will definitely have more snow in general, but I've had some amazing pow days at Hakuba.  The most pow I've ever ridden actually, was there.  There are always buses heading there from Tokyo and it's not that far away.  You can find some pretty inexpensive housing as well. 

I went to Hakuba five times (about 4 days each trip) and each time was amazing.  The last two trips I took, it was snowing at the mountain for a week straight before I got there and throughout the trip.  I'm 6'2 and was literally up to my waist in snow.

Snow Japan is a solid site that gives a lot of info on mountains in Japan in English

A couple cheap places to stay in Hakuba: 
Snowbeds - looks like they expanded their business since I've been there but it used to be an American dude and his Japanese wife. 
K's House  - This was my favorite - clean, good rooms and a beer vending machine in the main room

I'm jealous, I hope to get back there soon
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2009 at 4:11am
K's House is an awesome chain of hostels throughout Japan. I stayed in their Kyoto location and loved it. I heard the Tokyo location was so-so.

SupaHero here's my write-up of Hakuba, I also have a little info on Gala Yuzawa at the bottom of the post. http://blog.dcdomain.org/2008/03/hakuba-matata-snowboarding-in-japan.html

You'll also be interested in my other Japan08 posts especially the Tsukiji Fish market guide: http://blog.dcdomain.org/2008/04/tsukiji-fish-market-guide.html

The tag Japan08 doesn't work well since it cuts off the amount of posts so if you just go through the archives by month you'll get all my Japan posts.

Let me know if you have any questions.
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2009 at 9:35pm
Thanks heaps dcdomain, that was very informative and entertaining.  some nice pics there too.

i'm definately leaning towards Hakuba at this stage and will definately look into K's House.  Thanks JMSM512 too
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 4:40pm
i stayed at k's the first year i was in hakuba. They were absolutely lovely. The cheapest rooms were 4 man dorms. Its a nice place to crash, met a few lovely people there. Also the guys that run it are genuinely adorable. So sweet and helpful.

If you want a bit more lively chaos though hakuba alps/backpackers might be more the place for you. Sakiko and trey and awesome people. Really fun, and always out to do stuff for you. It doesnt hurt that theyre also probably the cheapest place in hakuba. They have two places you can stay: The alps/backpackers which is down near the bottom of the hill (its about twenty minutes by foot to the gondola), its mainly for families and people that want a more peaceful stay. Half way up the hill is tracks bar (pretty much the only party place in hakuba outside of echoland near happo1 - about a twenty minute taxi from hakuba). Tracks has accomodation above the bar, it can get pretty noisy and i woudlnt recommend it if you want a good nights sleep, but its where most of the social side of things are.

Anyway, you can contact them here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1001553799&ref=

Anyway, best way to get to hakuba from tokyo is early morning shinkansen to nagano, then get the bus from nagano to hakuba. Theres a 47 bus (as in hakuba47) that stops at the backside of the train station across from the 7/11 (i think its a 7/11 cant remember for sure). Its NOT where all the other buses stop. Also, it usually requires a reservation, i forget where you do the reservation, but once you reserve it, its free. Also im pretty sure theres a weekend package deal you can get in tokyo that gives you transport to hakuba and 2 day passes. I had a few friends do that last year.

If buses bum you out, then i massively recommend myoko suginohara.

Very easy. Shinkansen (bullet train) from tokyo, arrive at nagano for around 8.00, then grab the 8.12 train to myoko. When youre there just hop on the bus to suginohara (leaves at the bus station RIGHT OUTSIDE the train station) at 8.58.

I freaking LOVE suginohara. Such a beautiful mountain. In fact at the start of last season i was sure i was getting a hakuba pass, but just ONE DAY in the powder on myoko (and myoko gets much bigger dumps than hakuba), and i bought a season pass right away.

Anyway, heres a general idea of the tow mountains:

Positives of Hakuba: its easy to stay there over the weekend, its definitely an international world class resort (not least because theres happo1 just over the other side of the mountain - if youre a skier youll love it). Theres lots of international friendly hostels so its pretty simple finding a place to crash. Finally, with tracks and echoland theres some pretty solid nightlife.
Some negatives. 1. Australians. 2. Lift queues can get looooooong. 3. No real powder spots. I mean sure you can get some good powder days but it wont last. Gets icy pretty fast too. 4. Security nazis. You go off piste and you get caught, theres no ifs or buts, youre out. (with good reason, one day someone will set off an avalanche at toomi that people suggest may well wipe out the beginners hill there).

Positives of Myoko:
Really easy to get to. Powder DUMP. Arguably one of the best outside of niseko. They even have to ungroomed sections of the mountain that is solely for powder runs (one gets turned into the cross course around january :'( and the other gets reallllllly nasty come march). Suginohara is stunning and such a beautiful mountain to ride. Its also massively long. Youll also never feel like the mountain is packed. Even in peak times theres so much space and lifts are so damn fast. The longest youll queue will be about 2 minutes. Two lifts will take you from the bottom to the very top, and then youll have a 7k trail to ride :) Most of the time will be spent on your board instead of waiting in lift lines. Finally, the laissez faire approach to off piste/tree skiing. Some great little places to duck in and all blocked off with a tiny bit of red tape (at the really dangerous spots - the rest has nothing), if you want to dive under lifts, or play in cat tracks, or just skate through the trees no one is stopping you. The policy is definitely "do what you like, but if we have to come rescue you, youre paying for it!"
Negatives: not anywhere near as foreigner friendly as hakuba. I mean its freindly, but youre not going to find the same kind of conveniences. Its very much a japanese orientated place. It also looks like its stuck in the early 90s. IT looks like trash. When you see the base of suginohara, you WILL be underwhelmed. You might even wonder if youre there. Alas, you are :)
Suginohara BLOWS for public transport. Theres one bus in the morning (8.58) and one bus leaving there in the afternoon (4.05 i believe), miss that and youll be walking about a km down the hill to the (very small) village. Also, i can only actually think of one place thats international friendly off the top of my head and that place is called (i think) canadian backpackers. Hell, theyre so international unfriendly that i was offered a job by the tourist office because they had no one else to help foreigners find acommodation and the like. It should be noted, i was offered this job based upon my awesome japanese. I can barely string a sentence together! :) If you speak japanese, head to the tourist office, speak to the lady in charge of international tourism to myoko and she will bite your damn hand off to help her look after foreigners in the area (the week i arrived there were two by the way, just so you know quite how different it is to hakuba).

Basically, because im now getting carried away with myself:

If you ski (and LOOOOVE mogul fields - swathes and swathes of them), go happo1. Theres nothing as good anywhere in the area. Its fun on a powder day for snowboarders too. In fact its awesome fun, but really if you land a powder day, you got lucky, its for the skiers.

If you want your mod cons and prefer a more budget expedition go hakuba 47/goryu. Some great places to stay and all pretty damn cheap. Also, in peak season theres a bus between happo and hakuba (as well as a 5 minute train), so its no real problem getting to either. Youll have it all at your fingers.

If you want stunning scenery then youre spoiled for choice, the sheer scope of the mountains around you at hakuba is beautiful (especially if you take the green run that brings you down to the bottom of 47). But myoko just takes it. It really is incredibly beautiful. On a clear day its just so open. I can even see my little house (well i doubt i can this year living in korea), which was about 60km away in suzaka. Absolutely breathtaking.

For powder its no contest. Myoko. Happo occasionally rises to the challenge, but hakuba is kinda crappy in truth - actually i just remembered Tsugaike which my mate insists get good dumps). 47/goryu though is crappy. Can be okay sometimes, but its so popular and so tightly packed with people youll be lucky if its not all tracked out by around 11am. Plus you have to remember, for all the combination of toomi/iimori/47, its still a pretty small place so youll be fighting over scraps. Myoko though has unbelievable powder and this isnt to even mention Seki (myoko seki is a fairly small resort, but its guaranteed powder). Blows away anything on honshu.

For variety. Hakuba has hakuba/goryu, happo, cortina and iwatake and tsugaike. I know only happo and goryu/47 from personal expereince, my former boss used to ride tsugaike (cause it was on his season pass) and iwatake. Ive also heard a rumor that cortina is the super special secret of awesome. But no one goes there because its at the far end of the mountain. 47/goryu is the park rat, snowboarder mountain. Happo is the skiers mountain (it really is), tsugaike is (as mentioned) good for powder allegedly, and cortina is the massive steep. Great for advanced and beginners, but crappy for intermediates.

Myoko has suginohara, ikenotaira, akakan, and akakura onsen. It also has seki which is a bit more tricky to get to.
Suginohara is the main mountain i guess for snowboarders, skiers will find it too flat and not enough variation. It is stunningly beautiful and just full of powder. Its also the mountain if you just want to enjoy the ride. Ikenotaira has had to remarket itself recently as a park mountain. It looks pretty boring, but its actually awesome for intermediates. Theres loads of nice tree and lift runs and is really pushing its park (which isnt as good as suginoharas, but is definitely putting on more events). Its the mountain right now thats seeing most of the modernisation. Its also much better served than suginohara. Akakan is the skiers mountain. Much more variation than either of the other two, but still compared to happo, its no competition. Good fun for a day or two, but youll get bored eventually. Akakura onsen is a mess. Great if youve got small kids. The runs arent very long (its about half the height of akakan), and spreads horrifically across the mountain. Track your way across and youll be spending the rest of teh afternoon just getting back. Avoid. Finally seki. Powder powder powder. Definitely for the advanced park riders.

I think hakuba steals this one quite easily. The scale there is just that much bigger.

Ultimately its pretty much preference, i rode hakuba for my first season, and myoko for my second. I preferred myoko in truth. Just a more peaceful and fun experience. Also, massively underrated. The place really needs some modernisation, but once youre on the mountain, who gives a crap about modernisation. Also, when you hit the middle of the mountain, uyou have the cutest little restaurants that have to be seen to be believed. Just so pretty. Compare that to the gondola station at happo with its macciedees, kebabs, and curry shops and you get a sense of who the main market is :)

Of course none of this touches on shiga kogen (japans biggest set of resorts), or nozawa. Neither of which i have any real experience of, but i know for a fact that all of my co teachers in nagano bar NONE went to shiga kogen. Hakuba and myoko werent even on their radar :) I mean, they knew about them, but they just didnt consider them even remotely in the same league. But you need a car. If you want to ride shiga kogen, you need a car. No car, dont waste your time.

Finally, if you want the "true" Japanese winter wonderland experience (onsens, festivals etc.) then apparently you need to go to nozawa. Its very proud of that little part of it. The mountain is owned by the people in the village and not some massive enterprise, so its all very traditiona (with apparently world class facilities). Also, i think it lays claim to being the birthplace of japanese recreational skiing.

There, hope that made things even less clear :)

Oh ETA:

Backcountry: I cant really speak from experience here because im pretty much still stuck in groomers, lift runs and the trees beside the groomers, but my former boss loves suginohara and hes been riding for 16 years. Apparently theres a massive bowl a teensy bit above the top lift. I think around Tsugaike theres also a backcountry bit. Theres a group in hapo called evergreen that offer tours up there i believe. Again, hakuba in general is more picky about where you can ride and where you cant, and myoko isnt. Saying that though, who would ride out on a mountain they dont know or havent been told about? Again, probably hakuba gets the nod because its much easier to be safe and find out the info you need :) But both do have decent (ive been told) backcountry, so you wont be disappointed.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2009 at 4:47pm
Kogen map (just seen on snowjapan):

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LAlLqk9HcAg/SuwuO5TwUoI/AAAAAAAABO8/StQNrjMTUqg/ShigaKogenSkiMapFull.jpg
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 2:34pm
we hittin this up, come people!

http://www.newyork-tokyo.com/wp/snow/
sprucetree View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 5:55am
I've been living in Hokkaido for the last 2 years and personally I think Niseko is over-rated! It is packed, prices are ridiculous, and it is like being in Australia-land not Japan. Last season the snow was marginal as well too. If you want some really good places I recommend Sapporo Kokusai, Rusutsu, Kiroro, and Teine (it is the most convenient to Sapporo) over Hirafu any day. But, check this site for snow levels and forecasts Weather News: Ski/Snowboard It is really good and you can get hour by hour reports. Also this English Site for local ski-jyous. Sapporo Area Resorts. Check them out if you can get up north. The snow is great!!!
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2010 at 6:35am
Originally posted by sprucetree

I've been living in Hokkaido for the last 2 years and personally I think Niseko is over-rated! It is packed, prices are ridiculous, and it is like being in Australia-land not Japan. Last season the snow was marginal as well too. If you want some really good places I recommend Sapporo Kokusai, Rusutsu, Kiroro, and Teine (it is the most convenient to Sapporo) over Hirafu any day. But, check this site for snow levels and forecasts Weather News: Ski/Snowboard It is really good and you can get hour by hour reports. Also this English Site for local ski-jyous. Sapporo Area Resorts. Check them out if you can get up north. The snow is great!!!

thanks for the info. what are you doing out in hokkaido? is work hard to find out there..?
thomastrouble View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2010 at 2:43pm
I agree with Niseko being over run with aussies. it doesn't feel like a holiday when there's so many aussies around. I am aussie myself btw.

BUT the night boarding and the powder is AMAZING!!!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 1:04am
im at niseko now, only been here for 4 days and now have to go back to korea. Ill be honest, it blew my mind. Ill throw up a review later, but some things to note:

Niseko definitely doesnt feel like australia town. HAKUBA is australia town. If youve stayed at hakuba for longer than ten minutes youll think niseko is pure cosmopolitan by comparison. I went during chinese new year so there was definitely a real international vibe going on. In fact, if anything grated on me its kids from the USA. Ive never heard so many over indulged, petulant little brats in all my life. Endless whining and really noisy with it. The parents definitely need a slap.

As for the night skiing, its on another scale. realising youre on a gondola at 8pm is bliss :) and then when you get off the gondola youre pretty much free to go anywhere. Theres little secrets all over the mountain, i dont think i ever got bored.

Honestly, i thought niseko was just going to be another resort only with a bit of powder, but i cant sing the praises enough. The sheer freedom is ridiculous, theres trees everywhere, no ones babysitting you, and you can just trek out the top gates and do what you like. I mean, myoko has the same vibe, but definitely doesnt have that scale. Next year for sure i wont be going anywhere else, ill be doing my entire vacation here and fekkin loving it.

...well, i might take a trip out and see what else hokkaido has to offer, but ill be setting my base camp here :)
m00m
hoa888 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 1:22am
Niseko has more Aussies per square meter than downtown Sydney. However, per square meter of terrain, you probably won't find as much board-able pow anywhere else in Jap.

Nagano is very underrated, I love the place. The village is very quaint and you get a good feel for the Japanese culture (if you're into that kinda thing) staying there... although it might be run over by Aussies during the last season or two (I haven't been for two years).

Happo is great if you're a skier, try the downhill slalom on your snowboard. Steep and deeeeep. Hakuba is the pick for me... some of the young 'uns on that mountain pull off some crazy crazy things (they ride boards that come up to their nipples, but geez.. the crazy crazy things they do with them).

From memory, Hakuba is 3 hours bullet train (or was that 3 hours to Mastumoto? - which is just over halfway there...). If you're planning on the whole Tokyo then boarding, much cleaner than catching a flight up north to Niseko.

There is a place that I want to go next time.. forget the name of it, but the Royal family ski there... and it's near Hakuba. More secluded than the other aussie-fied resorts.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 2:18am
its probably somewhere in shiga kogen. As for nagano, just by the way youre describing it i think you had a bit of a brain slip and meant to say nozawa :) I went there for 2 days this year. It rained on both of them, but pre niseko, it didnt stop it being the highlight of the trip. Theres one word id use to describe it: serene. ts also really nice knowing that everyone doing things around the mountain arent employees for some big ski conglomerate, but people who genuinely belong to the town (and probably have done for generations). Also, aside one teppan/okonomiyake shop we popped into, nothing feels overrun. People say its the quintessential japanese ski-jo experience, and it really did live up to that ideal.
The onsen though are fekking crazy. Popped into a couple to see about 400 guys cramming into these tiny baths and thought better of it :) If your japanese is up to scratch though id say you should jump in for sure. It definitely seems like the place for some good networking (if a little bit cuddly).
m00m
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2010 at 11:47pm
We spent the last weekend in Feb at Nozawa Onsen and it is as most people has so far described it.  A very quaint little village and definitely no signs of corporations trying to run the place.  You won't find a starbucks or a macdonalds here for miles.  Little restaurants are run by mum and dad teams with home style meals that aren't overpriced.  We stayed at a ryokan so fortunately we didn't have to squeeze in one of the 13 free public onsens around the place as we had our own private one.  
I was a little worried at first after getting off at Nagano station and seeing 2 other Australian couples lining up for the same bus but once we were there you can see that there were many more locals than foreigners.  Definitely the place to be for a true Japanese skiing/snowboarding experience.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 8:45pm
did you ride the skyline? That thing is FAST. Its also really freaking vicious! Wouldnt fincy catching an edge at one of its narrower bits. Also the one thing ill always remember it for was the awesome optical illusion you get at one of the drops. I remember thinking "how the hell am i getting up that hill, its about 20 degrees!" Only to burn it as fast as i could, then look back on it and realise it was pretty much flat Also, theres something pretty nice about being surrounded by all these black and brown trees and looking in the distance toward shiga and all those blue mountains. Really really peaceful place to ride.
m00m
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 9:37pm
Damn, you guys are in the KNOW regarding riding in Japan. Do I sense a GodzillaPalooza in the future? Wouldn't that be SICK? If I ever ride out there again I'm hitting both of you guys up for more info.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 9:39pm
assuming im still in the same job and havent just decided to move to hokkaido, i should be in and around niseko some time early feb next year (my winter vacation is 26 days from mid to late january to early march), so if youre there ill be delighted to meet up :)
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 9:43pm
was at rusutsu and niseko 2 weeks ago. my life has changed forever.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:28am
how did you find rusutsu, everyone says nice things about it? It just seems a pain in the ass for accommodation.
m00m
Swift View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Having fun in the Evo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:52am
I was staying in Moiwa and did a day trip to Rusutsu. It was the best day i have ever had riding by far. Blue skies all day, fresh tracks all day, it was so much fun.
As for accommodation i know there is this massive place to stay right at the bottom at the gondola that has the most whacked out foyer, it is an experience to see. If you were to stay further along around Moiwa or even closer you could easily day trip there every day as its a pretty short drive if you have the transport.
Dingo stole my baby!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:59am
no car, that hotel is probably way out of my budget (very cheap snowboarder - 3-4000 yen per night). Dont suppose theres a decent shuttle around moiwa, i reaaaaaaallly wanted to play on rusutsu, "niseko, with steeper, better lines, and less Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!" is pretty much how it was sold to me. Anyway, tell me about it. Not everyone knows about it here, plus youre getting a member point for every post you make right now, so itll definitely be worth your time :)
m00m
Swift View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Having fun in the Evo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:13am
Haha true. Yeh you are right that Rusuts is definitely less Aussie. When i was there I think think atleast 85% of people were Japanese comparred to Hirafu where 85% of the population is Aussie. Its good to feel like you are not in Australia.

From what i found it had got so many better off the groomer runs down through the lifts and what not and you could always get a nice track somewhere. First runs we did was just a massive bomb run down the groomers that were the smoothest groomers i have ever ridden! Was goof fun getting some serious speed for some big sprays. At the top of every chair you can pretty much jump off the groomers and into a tree run next to the chair line and end up on these fun little tracks that spat you out right at the bottom of the chair. Could do these type of runs all day along the mountain. Food there was great, like pretty much all dining rooms it had an massive selection of food.

Seriously the day i went there is was the best day riding i have pretty much ever had. Im normally a park fiend but this day i didnt even think about the park, infact im not sure the joint even had a park i was having too much fun in the pow with mates to find out!

As for that motel it does look pretty expensive, it is massive! I dont know of many places over there so im not to great on that side of things.
Im not 100% sure but i think there is a shuttle from Moiwa but i was under the understanding that it pretty much only went back into Kutchan area and not all the way down to Rusuts. I would say there would have to be something that went that way though but would be a hassle to organize a day around a shuttle.
Dingo stole my baby!
zhenjie View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:21am
Rusutsu is great for easy access off-piste and tree runs. You can find powder stashes in a few places a day or two out from storms. At Niseko hirafu, its usually done by noon!.

Swift View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Having fun in the Evo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:46am
^ True on that one.
Honestly if you have the transport and the time my money is on getting your self to Chisenupuri (spelling?). Its right on an Army base (you can see the soldiers skiing around the groomers), has only one lift and the whole day it seemed like there were about 50 people there all up. You even got a lunch included in the lit ticket! It had the best powder by far and the amount of drops available was awesome. Sweet tree runs and barely any people made this the one to be at. I think because it was tucked away from the main areas with little signs along the roads pointing where to go it only got the locals there.
Dingo stole my baby!
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 5:46am
Rusutsu isn't hard on accommodation. From what I saw, there were several buses and shuttles that went to Rusutsu daily. There are plenty of foreigners at Rusutsu. Mostly from other Asian countries, less Aussies. Still got that good stash as it's not overexposed there. 
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 11:44am

Nozawa Onsen:

Hotham is Heaven
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 11:51am
m so jealous right now. I'm never coming back to this thread again. 
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 12:45pm
Hotham is Heaven
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by bdenny4

that.is.amazing.
burtontwin52 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:16pm
is that a foot bath/ warmer
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by burtontwin52

is that a foot bath/ warmer

from the good stuff from below!
Swift View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Having fun in the Evo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:42pm
Damn this whole thread is not good. Its gotten me wanting to go back so badly now. Im pretty sure its on the cards for the start of next year for sure now! It doesnt get any better than Japan for sure!
Dingo stole my baby!
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 3:54pm
for next year, japan or colorado?  we're leaning towards colarado at the moment as we can drop into Vegas afterwards
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 5:11pm
Think I'll head back to Japan next year.
Definately go to Nozawa againd and might hit Shiga or Myoko as well.

Smile
Hotham is Heaven
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 6:24pm
did you try any of the free public onsens?
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by SupaHero

did you try any of the free public onsens?

No, where we were staying had both indoor and outdoor onsen

Not gonna be the same when I get to the Dinner Plain onsen this year Wink
Hotham is Heaven
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 8:25pm
at least you won't have to share it with naked old men
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 12:02am
i walked into one. People were piled on top of one another, it was a throng of hot sweaty man on man.
m00m
SupaHero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 1:48am
strange, the one i walked into had just one old guy... I swore he winked at me, so I didn't stay
Swift View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Having fun in the Evo

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 2:23am
The one i walked into was unisex and that was another thing all together!
Dingo stole my baby!
zhenjie View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 3:12am
Arr, the old japanese men with very very flappy skin. The memory will be ingrained in my memory forever. Never found any communal mix gender onsens though...would certainly be interesting.
bdenny4 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hotham

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 12:36pm
For a first time Onsen experience I was not out of my comfort zone at all.
99% of the other people in there (when there was others) were Japanese - hardly any other Westerners at all!
One American girl tried to get in with her bathers on but was quickly ushered out

Hotham is Heaven
ACRucrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 12:45pm
I want to snowboard in Japan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>