Michiganders where you at-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 17>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michiganders where you at-
    Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 4:27am
I'm not sure when all I'm gonna be up there, I know I'll be there Christmas time and a few days later, but my gf wants to take me to Wyoming in either jan or feb. but I wanna go a lot more this year if possible.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
  Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 5:38pm
Anyone going to Cab on Sat for the opener?
I have been watching them blast the snow for the past 3 days. LOL

http://caberfaepeaks.com/livecam.php
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
hcsoccerfreak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hcsoccerfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2011 at 7:54pm
I lived downstate in Battle Creek and hit up Bitter Sweet a lot. Usually would hit up Caberfae once or twice a season. Now I go to School at MTU in Houghton in the UP so I have mont ripley, mont bohemia, and the porkies
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:23am
My brother just finished up at MTU in the spring.  Soooooo nice up there.  Is this your first year up there hcsoccerfreak?  What are you studying?
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 3:47am
My x8 finally got in yesterday! Wew! Gonna go look for bindings tonight, wanna see if I can find last years purple customs, if not I might buy some winter fresh cartels on here lol I'm stoked.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 3:53am
Anyone heading north next weekend?  I'm going with a buddy to hit Nubs Nob on Friday, Boyne Mountain on Saturday, Crystal Mountain on Sunday.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 5:28am
I may go to Boyne next weekend depending on my girl. Gotta go see my mom lol
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 8:15am
Originally posted by ctoma

Anyone heading north next weekend?  I'm going with a buddy to hit Nubs Nob on Friday, Boyne Mountain on Saturday, Crystal Mountain on Sunday.

I'm going up on Friday (or Thurs night) for the 6 for 1 lift tix at Boyne on Friday the 16th!
I'm sorry U are going to crystal....  so flat... and crowded
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by MikeD13559

I'm going up on Friday (or Thurs night) for the 6 for 1 lift tix at Boyne on Friday the 16th!

Yeppers, we are using our MSIA White Gold cards so we are going to try to hit a variety of MI resorts this winter.  I have never been to Crystal and that is our last stop of the weekend, so flat might be good for 2 out-of-shape-almost-middle-aged snowboarders, although crowded is never good.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:09am
haha!! Ok ctoma Smile  Just wanted to let U know. U can use the cards at both Boyne resorts?  Do U maybe meet up w/ my crew on Friday at Boyne Mt for the 6 for one lift tix.. maybe save the boyne Mt ticket for later in the season?  Just a thought.  Hit me up if U want to meet-up & shred Big smile
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:30am

haha!! Ok ctoma Smile  Just wanted to let U know. U can use the cards at both Boyne resorts?  Do U maybe meet up w/ my crew on Friday at Boyne Mt for the 6 for one lift tix.. maybe save the boyne Mt ticket for later in the season?  Just a thought.  Hit me up if U want to meet-up & shred Big smile

Well, we mapped out our route starting at the northern-most resort (Nubs) on Friday and then working our way south to Boyne Mtn. on Saturday and south/southwest to Crystal on Sunday.  Basically we want the shortest drive home Sunday night since we are going to be beat.  We're skipping Boyne Highlands this time since we are going there with our families (plus 6 other families from our kids' school) the first week in January.

We talked about the 6-for-1 at Boyne but figured it might be crowded and since neither of us have been to Nubs we figured it was a good place to start (plus if people are heading to Boyne Mtn and Highlands for the 6-for-1 that means Nubs may be less crowded).  Besides, we have just 2 riders, our 3rd can't make it since it's his wedding anniversary weekend.  How many do you have going?

The White Gold card is good for 1 lift ticket to each resort, there are separate punch holes for Boyne Mtn. and Boyne Highlands.

I definitely would like to meet up and ride with you and your buddies, are you guys going to stick around after Friday or head back home?  Stick around for Saturday at Boyne Mtn. and we'll see you there.

Edit:  I just looked at the Boyne Highlands web cam, people are riding right now, dammit, while I'm stuck at my desk...
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:39am
^ good thinken with nubs not being crowded, i have been to boyne before but never nubs, how does it compare?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:43am
Originally posted by iamjason10

^ good thinken with nubs not being crowded, i have been to boyne before but never nubs, how does it compare?

I'll let you know after next weekend, this will be my first time to Nubs.  From what other people have told me Nubs has shorter but steeper runs than Boyne Highlands.  Steeper sounds good to me.
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:44am
^hear anything about their park? i have only been to boyne highlands and wasnt too impressed with their park. they have a pipe but i have never tried it
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by iamjason10

^hear anything about their park? i have only been to boyne highlands and wasnt too impressed with their park. they have a pipe but i have never tried it

For what it's worth, Nubs' park was #3 in the Midwest as determined by Snowboarder Magazine... or was it TransWorld Snowboarding magazine?  I don't remember which mag but regardless if it ranked #3 it's gotta be good (no other parks in MI made the short list).  

I found it, TransWorld, here's a link:

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 10:38am

the 6 for 1 day is soooo crowded Mike, we did it last year- never again.  And they had a  lot of the hill open.  No more 6 for 1 and no more holidays @ boyne for us.  Felt like my style was cramped.

@ Jason- nubs is pretty freakin' sweet.  Last winter was the first time in like 6 seasons we didn't make a trip to nubs.  This season we're not making the same mistake.  The whole crew misses that place.  The park is usually pretty good.  I don't think any park in MI can hold a candle to the O park.  But, Nubs is nicely spaced, a variety of jibs, there was a wall last time we were there which I dig.  Make sure to go off to the back peak, there's a bunch of fun runs back there and the boardercross (hopefully it's improved from 2 years ago).  Check out Foo Foo land (the run), it's simple trees but a lot of fun at night.  While nubs doesn't have the vertical that the boynes have it does seem to be more fun for some reason.

and DAMN ctoma, that's quite an opening weekendThumbs Up  Jealous.  I'll be settling for the backyardConfused
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 12:53pm
6 for 1 can be intense, but i usually stay on the back of the mountain on that day. less people there for the most. this is the first year i havent gone :/
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2011 at 4:28pm
Can't get a ride to caberae tommorow. Sad :(
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 4:46am

That was where we stayed last year was that back area.  It was cool because they had probably 85% of the mountain open last year (well, you know, you were there too).  It is an awesome deal though.

On a plus note Mt. Holly is saying they'll be open for a pm session today.  Not sure how many runs (probably one or two), but they have snow.

Speaking of having snow,  My backyard looks lovely after only one night with the gun on.  Tonight we're riding and it'll be the first time all the features will be useable after one night.  My old setup used to take a week or so to get to this point.  I'm sooooooo jacked.  Now I don't have to keep my neighbors up night after night with the hum of the compressor and the hiss of the gunThumbs Up  So tonight I ride the hood labClap

chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 5:39am
Mega jealous of your snowgun. That must have costed a pretty penny
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 6:36am
it's actually not that bad if you make one yourself chillman.   Check out snowathome.com, they have a gun they added to the line up this season that as a package (with compressor and pressure washer) is like $700ish.  That is a bit steep, too steep for me.  So I used the plans they have and made my own.  Lowes had all the parts I needed to make the gun (nozzles I did have to order from SAH), harbor freight had the compressor and electric pressure washer.  My setup cost less than half what SAH wants for basically the same thing.  It's an investment of a few hundred, but sooooo worth it.  They have plans for a basic gun on SAH, we used that for two seasons, it works, but this works so much better.  I started my gun yesterday@ 4pm, tonight we ride 5 features including the wall (which requires lots of snow for the approach).  Thumbs Up  

I live in the Detroit area which as anyone from around here knows, doesn't get shit for snow.  My bro is on the other side of the state (K-zoo area).  He's still waiting for natural snow so he can use his park.  I woke up to this-
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 7:19am
snowj720 - that's a nice looking setup you got there, you really are making use of all the available space, eh?  Who's vehicle is serving as the support for the 2nd drop-in ramp?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 7:33am
We don't have much space, but we do what we can.  The car is my wifes old GTI, I've been sitting on my thumbs about getting the engine and trans out (they need to go into another GTI in the garage).  It's actually there to do stalls on.  The plan is to drop in from the ramp next to it, hit the wall, then stall the car.  Last year we'd hit the wall, then run into the car or the garage, this year we do a trick at the end instead.
It's two drop in's and a bungee.  10' box, 14' box, wall, car stall, and a little kicker for schnitz and giggles.  Once I get more snow made we'll be able to use the big drop in as a hip (we think).
If you're ever bored and downriver hit me up ctoma.  At least 4 of us are in our mid-30's, so it's not like any of us is getting too crazy back there.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 7:43am
Sweet. I get enough snow in GR. I just don't have a hill to build features on our the intiative to build drop ins. I'm in high school so can't afford anything.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by snowj720

If you're ever bored and downriver hit me up ctoma.  At least 4 of us are in our mid-30's, so it's not like any of us is getting too crazy back there.

Damn, that's quite a set up.

I'm definitely interested in checking it out this winter, looks like it can be a lot of fun.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 8:18am
Dude your setup looks pretty fun!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 9:11am
Thanks guys.  It's been 4+ years in the making.  Every season it's evolved. 
Hey chill, you're in high school, that's old enough to get a jobLOL   Seriously, if you've got flat ground like we do, it's not that bad to at least build a drop in and a box or two.  We're the experts at doing a park on the cheap.  A drop in like the one for our wall ride might be a hundred in lumber and screws.  And that's a really solid drop in.  I think I built the 14' box for under 50.  Start out with one thing (a drop in and a box) and then add something or improve every winter (think about it in the summer too).  By the time you've got your own place you'll know exactly what you want in a backyard park.

You're from GR chill, you ever heard of Marhar snowboards?  They're from there.  Just learned about them the other day.  If you guys can, give them support.  They make some sweet boards. 
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 2:28pm
I should make some of this stuff at work in our parking lot lol, itd be like 15-20 of our back yards bro. Plus in the front by the street could make kickers and tow with a car haha talk about some sweet footage there.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 4:09am
Need to get you making some rails to sell.  We tossed around the idea of setting up backyard parks for people, drop in's, features, getting them set up with snow making equipment.  Jibs for cribs wants a buttload for their features.  Make something more affordable, and you've got a winner.
randman24 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote randman24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 4:48am
That snow at home thing looks amazing. and good luck trying to go snowboarding more with the weather like it is here. i have not been able to get my first ride in.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 5:56am
I could makes some rails pretty cheap and easy. I'm sure it wouldn't have to be the usual material we use for cars so it could be thinner and cheaper. Plus I have pipe notcher and bender. But no radius bending like rainbow rails. But still could bend in 2 places to get a rise,flat, and then a drop out of one rail.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 6:08am
We're going to try to build a rainbow out of wood for next season.  I think I'd be sketchy on a rainbow rail, a box I can do though. 
I have no idea where to get the materials for rails, I have a feeling you know thoughLOL

We might ride in the yard today if you need a snow fix chips, this is what it looked like last night-
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 6:50am
My bindings are in the mail right now and I'm going to cheapskates in a bit to look at boots lol.

Steal tube runs from 2-7 bucks per foot, and that's at my price lol. I'd gladly help throw something together with ya.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 7:15am
I'd go nuts without a setup.  That's why I've kept my old boards, just in case.  Last year I was able to let my buddy use my old M3 cuz his board was jacked up.  Then he caught a screw on the wall (it's screwless now) and blew out an edge.  My garage looks like a rental shop during the season between me, my wife, and our buds that keep their setup here. 
When you get your board together you'll have to stop by.  We can try to figure out the rail thing too.  A kink would be nice to add to the feature line up.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 7:50am
Yeah I sold two full setups last season cause I was planning on moving to Chicago. I just sold my last board and picked up an x8 on here and some used winter fresh cartels. The bindings should be in tomorrow or Tuesday. Just need the boots which is my mission for today lol
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 8:20am
good luck with that.  Boot shopping can be a pain.  I've been fortunate, but most everyone I know has a tough time finding something that's just right.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 8:26am
I'm easy lol, god that sounds bad ha. I'm prolly gonna scale back. I had old hail boots and from what I can see, the new motos and invaders look a lot alike. If I can find last years model too I might buy another set of bindings that I really like and maybe some new pants lol.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 1:25pm
Anyone been out to Bittersweet or Timber Ridge yet? If so how does it look?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 1:57pm
4 work days until I head north for my opening weekend... those 4 days are going to drag.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:16am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

My brother lives next to Bittersweet.  He said he saw people getting off the lift yesterday (and Saturday), so they're open.  Not sure how much of the hill is open, but it's open.  He said they blew snow almost every night last week.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 3:47am
Welp, should be ready tomorrow or Wednesday. Tried on a bunch of boots yesterday and was gonna wait till today to go to another store for more choices but went on eBay and found last years hails in my size for 75, talked to the guy and he took it off eBay and we did a PayPal thing and he took them to FedEx last night. So I'll have a x8, cartels, and hails, pretty stout setup if you ask me :)
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 4:02am
all burton, nice.  I just picked up a Burton Malolo this year for the Bohemia adventure (and any other powder that comes my way), but I had to use my old Ride EXs on it (I've already spent too much on this season and it just started). 
Cool man.  After this little stretch of shit weather this week I'll hopefully have the park back open shortly after.  We had a great couple of days back there.  I've already learned 3 new tricks this season and I haven't even been to a real hill.  Your setup should be perfect for some backyard jibbin'.Thumbs Up
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 4:20am
Yeah I was trying to go the capita route but I'm not 100% enthused with the past two years graphic and it's so hard to find the sierrascope/horrorscope with the eyes and mouth. I'm still keeping an eye out for some forces too. Maybe after Christmas I'll get new forces or brand new est bindings. Well see. But I'm wanting to check your park out for sure!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by snowj720

Originally posted by HAVEN2135

My brother lives next to Bittersweet.  He said he saw people getting off the lift yesterday (and Saturday), so they're open.  Not sure how much of the hill is open, but it's open.  He said they blew snow almost every night last week.

There is still time I won't be there until Christmas, but there just has been no snow, warm weather, and it isn't suppose to get real cold anytime soon.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 6:30am
So I'll never pay extra for second day am shipping lol. I had them sent out Friday and they were supposed to be here this morning....nope. Pushed it back to tomorrow but the tracking has zero info. The guy I bought my boots from is in the same area as the bindings guy and my boots went normal ground a day later and are almost here. I just want it all here, I might go to Boyne now this weekend since its my moms bday lol
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 1:19pm
You HAVE to go up for your moms b-day, and I'm sure your mom wouldn't mind if you spent some time at the hillSmile   Hopefully your gear gets in soon.  I hate the whole shipping thing.  I had a pair of boots that were supposed to be delivered to my moms once.  They didn't leave them so I had to stop by the ups hub in west branch at like 1 in the morning to have boots for the trip.  They ended up being cool by letting me come in and get them after hours, but I was like "why wouldn't you just leave them on the deck? It's in the middle of nowhere."

Most of the time though shipping pieces me off.  I had something shipped from Belville on Thursday last week, I got it today.  The tracking said it wasn't getting here until tommrow. Like, really?  Belville is like 20 minutes away and it took how long?  If I would have know it was coming from that close I would have just picked it up at the post office in belville.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2011 at 1:25pm
yeah i ordered a bunch of clothes online and they were shipped out of ohio black friday and i got them the following friday......from ohio....WTF?! lol  

Yeah Im really stoked to get off work tomorrow, both packages should be here.  I think I sold my pants too so i gotta go pick up some new ones too and gloves haha.  big list of crap. 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 9:30am
damn, how could you get rid of all your stuff?  I'm so lame I'd probably keep all my gear even if I moved to FloridaLOL
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 10:06am
Yeah I thought I'd never sell my custom but I did to a buddy so I know it's in good hands. But he got all my one set up and i parted my othe set up out. Made like 600 bucks back lol. But now I'll have a fresh setup and get to try ics. My bindings and boots are sitting outside my place right now so I'm dieing to get off work lol
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 1:08pm

BACK IN BUSINESS!  just added the sticker when I put the bindings on lol, need to get some more!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>