Quick Login: Forgot password?

Michiganders where you at-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1314151617>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michiganders where you at-
    Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 2:39pm
DAAAAMMMNNNN, I thought the trees looked heavy with snow.  Looks like some branches need to be cut out the way to use the tub.  Oh the troubles of living in a winter wonderland.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:46am

Pine Knob tommrow (day session $20) if anyone wants to play hookey.  Looks like we're in the last few days of the season locally.  Maybe only a couple more weeks in the north country too (supposed to hit 50 up there by the end of the weekCry)

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:53am
Originally posted by snowj720

Pine Knob tommrow (day session $20) if anyone wants to play hookey.  Looks like we're in the last few days of the season locally.  Maybe only a couple more weeks in the north country too (supposed to hit 50 up there by the end of the weekCry)

Don't tempt me, I'm already pushing my luck at work with taking days off.  I've used several vaca-days for January (Boyne Highlands), February (Shanty/Schuss) and I'm taking Friday off to hit Crystal Mtn and Caberfae Peaks (Saturday).  And I'm taking a week off in April for Breckenridge.  
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:33pm
Just take a really long lunch, like from 10:30-1:30LOL
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:50pm
you guys make me wish i had a normal job lol, i wanna play hookie and i cant, but id rather use my time i DO get off to go to chicago or Florida with my buddies
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 2:43pm

It was a good day @ pine knob yesterday.  I ended up with a really nice bruise on my leg and a jammed finger.  My buddy has a knee the size of a softball (told him to stop speed checkin' going into that kicker).  Other than that though, the snow was sloppy, features we all still out.  Looks like the downstate season will be done within a week though.   Damn spring!!!!

The only reason I could ever see me going to Florida is to surf.  Other than that it's too many old people and too damn hot.Smile
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 3:31pm
Okay, last call, who's going to northern MI Friday or Saturday?  I'll be at Crystal on Friday, Caberfae on Saturday.  Let me know, maybe we can meet up and have a beer.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:02pm
I'll be @ Boyne Mt. tommrow, but that's not exactly right next to Crystal.  One of these years I'll hit that place, looked cool when we went by there last year, just not as good a boyne.
Have fun C, this might be our last time to rip it up in the mitten until next season.
matts1548 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matts1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:16pm
I live like 15 minutes away from PineKnob. This may of already been covered but what do you like better, Holly or PK? Ive never been to Holly but was wondering if its worth going up next season.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 2:07pm
When Holly does their park right I'd take it over PK, but, the Knob usually has a more consistant park.  If there's fresh natural snow I'd go to Holly because they at least have a little natural stuff to play on and a couple of longer (than PK) runs.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 1:39am

I'll be @ Boyne Mt. tommrow, but that's not exactly right next to Crystal.  One of these years I'll hit that place, looked cool when we went by there last year, just not as good a boyne.
Have fun C, this might be our last time to rip it up in the mitten until next season.

Crystal lived up to MikeD's hype (in other words skip Crystal and go to Caberfae).  We drove up Friday morning and got to Crystal just as it opened.  They were doing a 5 for $50 deal so there were more people than we expected.  The snow conditions were poor, chopped ice on ice which improved as the day went on.  A lot of flats and a lot of short runs.  The only way I would go back is if I get another White Gold card.

Caberfae on Saturday was beautiful.  Great sunny day and the grooming crew did a great job considering the strange weather they have been experiencing (24" last weekend, midweek warm up followed by cold temps to re-freeze everything).  South Peak was a helluva lotta fun, some great runs and less people there.  Spent the entire morning at South Peak.  High winds forced Cab to shutdown the South Peak lift at noon so we went back to the masses at North Peak.  With South Peak closed North Peak became much more crowded, plus clueless kids and gawkers clogged up the small park they have.  The best riding was definitely Saturday morning on South Peak.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 10:24am
That's kind of what I figured as far as Crystal (I haven't been missing much not having gone there). 

Sat/Sunday are the days I wish I could have hit the hill this weekend.  Boyne had terrible conditions.  Ice with spots of fresh sticky snow.  Plus the usual assortment of ppl blocking features.  Kids just hanging out on the features, not hitting them, just hangin out.   They had some decent features, but there were a few that weren't there that they advertise as having set up. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 12:26pm

That's kind of what I figured as far as Crystal (I haven't been missing much not having gone there). 

Sat/Sunday are the days I wish I could have hit the hill this weekend.  Boyne had terrible conditions.  Ice with spots of fresh sticky snow.  Plus the usual assortment of ppl blocking features.  Kids just hanging out on the features, not hitting them, just hangin out.   They had some decent features, but there were a few that weren't there that they advertise as having set up. 

Yeah, MikeD knows what he's talking about (well, at least when it comes to Crystal Mountain...).  Definitely a lot of flats to traverse.  Also, no easy way to get from the Buck lift to the Clipper to the Loki.  

Talked to a guy at Caberfae and he mentioned Cab's $99 season pass.  Great deal if you can get there 4 or 5 times a year.  My buddy and I talked about getting one next year and using his friend's cottage which is about 35-40 minutes away.

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2012 at 8:36am
Yeah, Cab's got a pretty good deal with that.  They also end up having so many other deals though you almost don't need the season pass.  If they weren't 4 hours away from us I'd probably hit it more often.  Our buddy has a place like 10 minutes from there, but it's the 4 hours to his place that keeps me from being there all winter long. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 3:14am
Looks like the season is ending in MI, temps in the 60's and even 70's (today's forecasted high for Traverse City).  Caberfae has their Spring Carnival this Saturday, the forecast is calling for a high of 71° on that day.  Turrible, just turrible.  A lousy end to a lousy season.

At least I still have 1 week in Breckenridge to look forward to... I hope the weather cooperates.

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 3:26pm
Yeah, it's nice of June to show up all of a sudden.  It really has been a bum season.  I want to run up north and ride every day until they close, but that ain't going to happen.  I'm just amazed how warm it already is up there.  I don't think they'll make April as they have been for as far back as I can remember.

Hopefully CO will still be kickin', sounds like they've had crap out there, but their crap season is still better than our best (snow-wise).  Mind hiding me in a suitcase for the trip out to CO, C?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 3:44pm
snowj - you are welcome to join us, can you fit inside a board bag?  the condo we are staying in has plenty of room.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2012 at 3:32am
Only if you've got a really, really big bag. Smile
One of these years I'll get out to CO.  For some reason it hasn't been in the cards for me.  And literally everyone I know has been there (most more than once).  I think I've been afraid to go because I won't want to come back to MI.   And, until last summer I was a smoker and terrified of not being able to breath out there.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 9:01am
Dooooode- 81 in Traverse City yesterday.  I so should have went up, I've never rode in 80 degrees. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 1:48pm
Mid-70's (feels warmer) in SE Michigan, can we officially say the season is over?  Turrible winter, so turrible.  I can't remember a March that has been this mild.
turbo-x View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote turbo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 1:54pm
This blows all the snow is gone and I didn't get near enough riding in and I'm missing caberfae $9 all day spring fling my seaon sucked!   Sitting in Howell mi with no snow!
ak4u
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 2:13pm
snowj lets go grab a brew and think about the lack of snow we had lol
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 2:45pm
I gotta get up early tommrow or I would.  We'll have to go up to fort street brewery and grab a few sometime.  I really miss their turbo. 

speaking of turbo, turbo-x you're not too far from the misfit lab, you should hit that place up, I know I'm going to a couple times this summer.  Hell, I want to see how much it'd be to get some of that powder pak they're using for my house.

Yeah C, season is ka-put.  One more week of boyne and nubs, but I probably won't make it up there.  It's been 80 up there the past few.  Warmer there than here, weird.  I too can not remember such a warm march.  Maybe back in 88, but I think even then it was April before it was this warm.
turbo-x View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote turbo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 4:14pm
I want to hit that place up for sure and I'm thinking like you ive built a park with hand rails and other stuff on a hill behind my house I want to make it ridable year round i wish i could post some pic from my iPhone it's preaty sweet all my friends help build it
ak4u
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 2:56am
Yeah, post some pics of your setup for sure turbo.  I love seeing peoples backyard setups.  

I know it's ghetto, but you can use that plastic lattice from home depot.  I've changed things since this video, but the lattice worked for me.  Not as good as powderpak, but it's a ghetto alternative.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 1:52pm
Changes are a coming to the Hood Lab for next winter.  Should be more room, now if the weather will work with us next season.....
turbo-x View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote turbo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 11:19am
hey sweet video that is just what i was thinking! ill be working hard this summer!
ak4u
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 8:19am
Anyone that had the chance to hit the Opark is going to be bummed about this one.  Seems it won't be open anymore in the winter.  Shame it was a great park that brought top notch riders to MI from all over the world.

Which leads me to wonder.......what are they going to do with all those great features they had for the park?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 8:51am
^ Wow, that is a surprise.  I figured a private ski/golf club that maintains healthy membership levels would not succumb to the economy woes in the dirty mitten.  Elitists...

Which leads me to wonder.......what are they going to do with all those great features they had for the park?

I think you should put in your request to take ownership of as many park features as you can get your hands on.  Expand the Hood Lab by knocking down your neighbors' (both sides and behind) homes.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 1:58pm
^I'm wishing I would have bought the neighbor across the streets house.  They have a nice double lot.  The Hood Lab would be pretty freakin sweet if I had that lot.

I'm sure I could take some features out to my brothers place.  I'd probably have to spend a month there this season to make sure he's using them rightBig smile
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 8:33am
Groupon for the Misfit Lab in Fenton, jump on it!!!  (you will have to go through the sign-up process if you are not already on the e-mail list)

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu7247905
randman24 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote randman24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 10:59am
dang in the high 95 all summer wish it was winter again
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 5:03am
Originally posted by ctoma

Groupon for the Misfit Lab in Fenton, jump on it!!!  (you will have to go through the sign-up process if you are not already on the e-mail list)

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu7247905

Did anyone buy this Groupon for the Misfit Lab?  My buddy and I bought one, we're going to try it out sometime in the Fall.  Has anyone ridden on PowderPAK?  Wonder what it's like...
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 5:05am
^I've yet to get there.  Been a hectic summer.  What was the groupon deal C? 

Maybe that's what I should have done this weekend since we didn't go north.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 5:15am
^ I think it was 2 all day passes for $25... we bought the Groupon deal back in July so my memory is a bit foggy.  Our plan is to take a day off in Sept or Oct and visit the Misfit Lab, hoping there won't be anyone there during the day (with the kids in school).  The snow sports section looks limited, a couple of park features and a jump into the foam pit.  Since our park skills suck ass and we are old we prefer going when the young park rats aren't dominating the features.  I'll post a review after our visit to the Lab.

Don't forget to buy your White Gold Card in September:  http://www.goskimichigan.com/michigan-ski-programs/white-gold-card
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 2:40pm
I gotta hit that place soon.  I need to be ready for the Birmingham jam coming up.   Pretty sure it was the 22nd of Sept.  10-5 or 6.  Little pro demo in the morning, open jam in the afternoon.

Pat Milbery released a short vid recently, don't see any MI spots, but it's all midwest.

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 4:33pm
Railjam in Birmingham Sept. 22.   Here's some info- http://boneheadx.com/birmingham-rail-jam/
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 5:54pm
Burton's 13 video premier tues. sept 18th at wind, waves and wheels in GR.  Free food and prize giveaways.  Anybody else going to go?!?!?

http://www.w3mi.com/?utm_source=online+update+9-10&utm_campaign=wake+sale&utm_medium=email
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
steezycheezy734 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Lake Effect!!

Quote steezycheezy734 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 6:42am
Originally posted by MikeD13559

Burton's 13 video premier tues. sept 18th at wind, waves and wheels in GR.  Free food and prize giveaways.  Anybody else going to go?!?!?http://www.w3mi.com/?utm_source=online+update+9-10&utm_campaign=wake+sale&utm_medium=email

Damn,if only i was still chilling out in GR :(
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 12:51pm
Not to worry steezy, there's a showing in Ann Arbor next Wednesday Sept. 19th at Sun and Snow from 5-7.  

Got that CT?Smile

Hey, you guys think we'll see chips this season?  He just kind of dropped off the face of the forums end of the season.  He never did make it to the Hood Lab.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 1:48pm

Not to worry steezy, there's a showing in Ann Arbor next Wednesday Sept. 19th at Sun and Snow from 5-7.  

Got that CT?Smile

Hey, you guys think we'll see chips this season?  He just kind of dropped off the face of the forums end of the season.  He never did make it to the Hood Lab.

Wednesday from 5-7pm... real convenient.  I'll be coaching my baseball team at 6pm so you won't see me at Sun & Snow.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 8:28pm
Just saw that Modern Skate & Surf closed here in GR.  They had a sick skate park and good snowboard gear.  There were the only retailer of Union, Capita and NS in GR.... as far as I know. Sad.. Only Lansing and Royal Oak locations left. SadCryDead
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 6:04pm
^Damn, they were there forever.  You've been to the R.O. park/store haven't you?  That place is so nice.  I really need to get out there soon.  Last time I was my son broke his ankle.  It was my first time skating in years, but was such a nice park I went out and got a new board.

@CT- yeah, super convenient.  I have something to be out there for on Tuesday, but I don't know if I'll brave the traffic two days in a row for that.  Plus it'll cut into Riley's playtime.  She gets cranky without quality time.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 6:53pm
Did snowboarding start in Michigan?  Here's an article I was reading...

Pando Winter Sports Park, near Rockford, was the first ski area in Kent County (1960), but more impressively was the first area in Michigan to allow “snurfers” and then snowboarders to have the run of the area, hosted the first ever snowboard competition (won by Jake Burton Carpenter) and was also the first area in Michigan to install a tubing hill.

By the way, the “snurfer,” predecessor to the snow board, was invented in Michigan in 1965 by Sherman Poppen of Muskegon. He cobbled together the first one when he saw his daughter sliding down hill standing on her sled. Her friends all wanted their own, so he built several with improvements. He patented the device in 1968, the year the first “World Snurfing Championship” was held at Blockhouse Hill in North Muskegon. He licensed the concept to Brunswick who made and sold about a million snurfers between 1966 and 1976 when the relicensed the product to JEM which produced them into the 1980′s. Snurfers had no bindings, just traction pads. In 1979 Jake Burton Carpenter of Vermont showed up at the championship with a board customized with bindings, He won in the Open Division which allowed modified boards. In 1980, the championship moved to Pando where it was again won by Carpenter.

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2012 at 3:54pm
So, this year since the O park isn't the opark anymore the Don Thomas railjam doesn't have them as a sponsor.  The setup is going to be different from the past couple years.  They're going with a setup I think I can handle better.  Pretty sure it's the one used at a jam in Grand Rapids last winter.  Here's a pic of the setup.

I think you should join in the fun CT.  So I won't be the only old guy out thereBig smile
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 4:01pm
^Jam going on tommrow, been 6 months since I was last on my board.  Getting a little nervous, especially since everyone else is 20 years younger.
steezycheezy734 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Lake Effect!!

Quote steezycheezy734 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:09pm
W3 in GR has these limited Cartel bindings up for grabs

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=483776094976084&set=a.159294884090875.33416.157872750899755&type=1

REPRESENT!!!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 8:13am
Got a couple white gold cards today.  Now I just need to find time to use them.  I know we'll be doing a mid-January trip to nubs and boyne highlands (sometime around the 13th) if any of you guys are in the area at that time we'll have to meet up.  I don't know if I'll make Bohemia this season, but I'd sure like to try.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2012 at 8:40am
^ Sweet.  My buddy picked up our WG Cards last week (or 2 weeks ago?  don't remember) and I used the $20 off $100 coupon today at Sun & Snow to buy the WiFi Backpack with Remote.

I'm taking my family to Boyne Mtn Jan 2 - 5.  After that I'm going to schedule a couple weekends to hit Nubs, Highlands, Mtn, Cab and maybe try a few of the western MI hills.

Post up the dates you will be hitting northern MI and I'll see if I can swing those dates, too.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 4:58am
Reminder: the Boyne Country Sports rail jam in Novi is this Saturday:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>