Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 17>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michiganders where you at-
    Posted: May/02/2010 at 8:09am
definatly check out nubs nob for some of the best snow in the lower pensula
I make handmade longboards PM me for info.
butlerCA View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote butlerCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 12:51pm
Mulligan's Hollow-Grand Haven, MI

Crystal Mtn-Thompsonville, MI
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Longboarderdude

i go to bittersweet mostly with some trips up to boyne and nubs and for michigan pow caberafe.
caberfae has pow?! were...I ride there a lot cause i get 5 dollar lift tickets through school ski club ...anybody heard of a small place called mulligans hollow its like pando and its in GH solid park...pretty good but i hate/can't do towropes
KrazyKidd39 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
tail press

Quote KrazyKidd39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2010 at 5:58pm
I live in grand rapids. go to cannonsburg the most but have been to marquette mountain, boyne, pando, and caberfae. caberfae has sick pow in some back trails that ive only seen ski patrol on before. my friend who has a cottage showed me the trails to get back there. sick stuff
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2010 at 6:06am
mt. holly and pine knob are pretty cool.  alpine valley is ok.   brighton sucks.  the boynes and nubs (nubs has the longest season downstate) are super cool.  caberfea peaks isn't too bad (cheap lift deals).  shanty is ok.  bittersweet had a nice setup.  the O park in homosexual has a sick sick sick park and 22' half (also had cheap lift $6.50), heard mt. bohemia was some real crap as close to out west as the mid-west gets.  indianhead and the big powederhorn are supposed to be pretty sweet.    anyone remember the riverview highlands (it's no more) about 20 minutes south of detroit?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 6:18am
the Opark is in G_aylord, Mi not homosexual, MI
Burtonslayurt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nose grab 360

Quote Burtonslayurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 5:55am
For people going to bittersweet already got my season pass it is the best place in lower michigan if you are looking for a sweet terrain park to ride and hang out with your friends at western michigan
Costell14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Costell14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 6:35am
I dont have a home reosort because I'm poor. The closest one to me is Mt Brighton but i hate that place so I won't claim it. My favorite that I ride has to be Mt. Holly It is the largest in my area so it wins by default. in addition though they have a nice park area.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 7:34am
Michigan, the home of ski/snowboard hills named mountains...  

Mt. Holly, Brighton and Alpine V. are the closest to me but I prefer to claim the Boynes as my home resort.

I would like to take the family to the west side this season and have heard decent things about Bittersweet and Timber Ridge.  Can anyone confirm that?
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2010 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by ctoma

Michigan, the home of ski/snowboard hills named mountains...  

Mt. Holly, Brighton and Alpine V. are the closest to me but I prefer to claim the Boynes as my home resort.

I would like to take the family to the west side this season and have heard decent things about Bittersweet and Timber Ridge.  Can anyone confirm that?

Timber Ridge and Bittersweet R OK.. Bittersweet has a bunch of park features.  Both ski areas are pretty small.  If U want to take the family somewhere go north.  I recommend the Boyne resorts, they R the best in the lower peninsula. I have heard good things about Nubs Nob.  Caberfae is fun if there is fresh snow, Crystal seems to have better snow and is just down the road from Caberfae.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2010 at 2:55pm
   Mt Bohemia is the spot to go!  It's totally worth the trip!!!  We had a 1 ft and a 2ft powder day... back to back!!
   Bohemia has some gnarly terrain.  Advanced riders will love it.  Intermediate riders will do fine there and will probably learn a thing or 2 while riding there.  All but one run are black diamond runs , with a bunch of double blacks and a few triple blacks (steep tree runs w/ cliffs).  Tons of snow up there.  Cheap lodging right at the base of the Mt which is the highest vertical in the midwest (900ft+) to make it even more gnarly the Mt is a prehistoric volcano.

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
buschle12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote buschle12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 1:27pm
CANNONSBURG. Its under new ownership this year so they are really making it a lot better. All new boxes and rails and such.
yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 1:45pm
wisco beasts michigan, no doubt.Tongue
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2010 at 4:26pm
My little bro worked at Cannonsburg last year and said it was weak. He told me not to even bother coming to check it out. I hope new management can fix it up.
ace62488 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ace62488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2010 at 12:19pm
Hometown Flint, unfortunately have to go to Mt. Holly which isnt bad to work on ur tricks with their small course. Favorite is definitely nubs nob where i will ride atleast 3 times this year.
drones1616 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Learning to ride.

Quote drones1616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2010 at 9:15am
I'm a grad student at WMU so I'll be out at Bittersweet a ton (and maybe Timber Ridge every now and then). Hit me up if you want to ride.
Ride for Jesus? PM me.
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Codeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2010 at 2:38pm
I come over from Windsor and rode Pine Knob and Holly last year, obviously nothing great but there's nothing that's better unless I wanna drive 3 or 4 hours (correct me if I'm wrong) . Going to make a couple trips up to Boyne & Shanty this winter
stomper2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote stomper2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2010 at 5:01pm
alpine valley and mt holly
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2010 at 12:50pm
already commented but mostly bittersweet with a few trips up to nubs which is going to have a jump line this year!!! the boynes, and caberafe
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2010 at 4:03am
Originally posted by Codeman

I come over from Windsor and rode Pine Knob and Holly last year, obviously nothing great but there's nothing that's better unless I wanna drive 3 or 4 hours (correct me if I'm wrong) . Going to make a couple trips up to Boyne & Shanty this winter
wouldn't it be easier (and more rewarding) to hit Blue Mt.?  for us (i'm south of Detroit) it's like a 4 hour drive (at least an hour of that is just for us to get over the bridge).   I've never been to Blue, but heard it's nice.  web site makes it look that way too.   Is blue a hike for you then?  Am I really looking at more like 5-6 hours to Blue from my area?
Mortoni View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mortoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 10:43am
Unfortunately I'm usually at holly or Pine Knob...but I take a trip or 2 to Caberfae every year and Shanty Creek. I'm hoping to make it up to Boyne and/or Nubs at some point this year too
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2010 at 5:03am
Nubs is really nice! definatly worth the trip.  They have some of the best snow and grooming. 
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Codeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by snowj420

wouldn't it be easier (and more rewarding) to hit Blue Mt.?  for us (i'm south of Detroit) it's like a 4 hour drive (at least an hour of that is just for us to get over the bridge).   I've never been to Blue, but heard it's nice.  web site makes it look that way too.   Is blue a hike for you then?  Am I really looking at more like 5-6 hours to Blue from my area?

Blue is about a 6 hour drive from my place compared to Boyne which is 4 and a bit. Also most of my friends tell me that Boyne is a bit better (both are good for the area). With the dollar near par, its also cheaper to go to Boyne.

Also was randomly checking local sites today, Pine Knob and Holly opened and Alpine Valley is opening tomorrow. I'm sure the snow is absolutely terrible but I'm thinking of going for a bit tomorrow just cause I've been itching to ride since the end of summer lol
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 4:20am

Blue is about a 6 hour drive from my place compared to Boyne which is 4 and a bit. Also most of my friends tell me that Boyne is a bit better (both are good for the area). With the dollar near par, its also cheaper to go to Boyne.

Also was randomly checking local sites today, Pine Knob and Holly opened and Alpine Valley is opening tomorrow. I'm sure the snow is absolutely terrible but I'm thinking of going for a bit tomorrow just cause I've been itching to ride since the end of summer lol
yeah, the boynes are fairly nice.  the Mt. is about 4 for us too.  man, if Blue is that kind of drive for you it's probably at least the same for us.  oh well, looks like i won't be hitting it anytime soon. 
yep, all the locals were open over the weekend (alpine ain't even worth it early).  we were gonna go and get a fix, but opted to blow snow in the backyard and do a little jibbing.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 5:48pm
what type of machine do you use for making snow?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2010 at 5:26am
i put up some info about it on another post (think it was "backyard park setup" or something like that).  but you can find everything you need to know at snowathome.com (there's another site too i can't remember off hand).  they have free plans and all kinds of info on the art of snowmaking (they call it science, whatever). 
basically all you need (other than cold temps) is a decent air compressor, a 3/8 rubber air hose, a rubber garden hose (as thick as possible), and a snowgun that can be made for around $20 from parts at local hardware stores.  i've got two going that are modified versions of this
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2010 at 5:35am
i forgot to mention, you will also need lots of patience as it can be hard to get the mix just right.  it seemed to help last season when we had a valve for both the water and air lines, but i was still able to get it right working the water valve  a hair at a time. 
manmade snow is more durable and compacts less than natural snow, so even though you won't cover your yard in one night with the cheap gun/ without a power washer, the snow you make will be worth it.   i covered our downslope, flat, around the jib and a ride out in about 35-40 hours and that was with 1 gun.  enough to have a saturday sesh for the 4 of us.  blew more snow overnight and had great coverage for sunday.  totally worth it. 
make sure the compressor is  3cfm @ 90psi at least is what the site recommends but we seem to get good results at 50-60psi.
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Codeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2010 at 3:31pm
Any SE Michiganders been to Pine Knob or Holly? I know its all man-made and probably terrible but I'm really getting the itch to try out my new board and bindings. Can anybody that went tell me exactly how bad the snow is? 
Mortoni View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mortoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2010 at 4:49pm
What do you mean it's all man-made? the snow isn't...those two are the only places I ride unless I go up north somewhere and if there's real snow they use it I mean, how couldn't they? and unless it's 100% synthetic snow it's fine. They have decent parks but the free runs aren't so great. Pine Knob has a better park usually but I don't know how either of them will be this early in the season. I'd still guess that Pine Knob has a better one
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 4:39am
12/19 - 12/21 at Boyne Highlands, looking forward to it.  1/21 - 1/23 at Caberfae or Nub's (anyone ever stay at the Trout Creek condos?).

Looking to get out this weekend to one of the local hills.  Can anyone report on the conditions at Holly, Brighton, Alpine, Pine Knob?  The morning news showed we maybe getting enough snow this weekend to accumulate.
shop_80240 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote shop_80240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 10:27am
i'm from Michigan. i'm at college now but i go to Nubs and Boyne Mtn usually. i'm pretty much a local up there. love it. where do you go?
shayan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2010 at 2:14pm
I was in Michigan for two years - was in Ann Arbor for business school.  I just finished and have moved back to Chicago now, so unfortunately no more weekend trips to Boyne for me. I'm on a project in Denver now, so my weekends are going to consist of making the most of my Colorado Pass Smile
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Codeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2010 at 2:50pm
Another question for you guys, I got my best friend to start boarding this year. He needs snow pants and a new jacket, but we don't have time to order online (plus he doesnt like buying stuff he hasnt tried on lol) Any stores in the detroit area that would have that stuff for decent prices? We usually go to Somerset and twelve oaks to shop so anywhere in those areas really
smurfguy33 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote smurfguy33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2010 at 1:45pm
Where you at
f_joey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote f_joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 5:52pm
im from battle creek mi, and mainly go to bittersweet. might venture over to timber ridge maybe once this year
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2011 at 12:40pm
hey joey, you should hit the ridge more.  my little bro lives in k-zoo and won't stop talking about their park.   it's like all park, good for park rats.  much like the "o" park, only the O is ridiculous.

oh, and Shayan, didja post just to make us flat-landers jealousDisapprove?
Costell14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Costell14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2011 at 11:40am
Im from south of Detroit and Holly is my favorite within a 2 hour drive. But my real favorite is in New York. It's the same distance as Boyne or Crystal and all them but it has more elevation and runs. I learned to ski at crystal when I was like 8 and it was amazing, but it got old. I've been wanting to go back up there but never actually went.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2011 at 11:42am
i thought you could just board down your driveway in MI
be talkin to ya
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2011 at 12:47pm

hey joey, you should hit the ridge more.  my little bro lives in k-zoo and won't stop talking about their park.   it's like all park, good for park rats.  much like the "o" park, only the O is ridiculous.

oh, and Shayan, didja post just to make us flat-landers jealousDisapprove?
Bittersweet has a bigger jumps than timber ridge.  Right now they have about a 60 ft step down that is perfect.
endeaveri View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote endeaveri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2011 at 2:10am
Alpine valley.  Kinda sad compared to west coasters but I think AV is good enough to learn new tricks and hit some jumps.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 4:51am
okay, just had to let everyone know-  you have to go to Mt. Bohemia in the U.P.
just got back a few days ago.  9.5 hour drive one way for me, but it was worth it.  crotch deep pow, steep ass runs, cliff drops, all natural runs, sick!  best time to go seems to be in January because your chances of a powder day are better before the lake freezes up in Feb.   It's something you can't experience anywhere else in the Midwest.  The pic doesn't do it justice. 
Biggspeed View Drop Down
Local
Local
JMB

Quote Biggspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 10:10am
Wow, that's pretty nice! Have you been to Indianhead or Big PowderHorn? If so, how would you compare Mt. Bohemia to those two? I went to the UP last year and those are two places I hit up. I'll be going again in the end of February.
“For me, music and life are all about style.” - Miles Davis
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 11:27am
haven't gotten to either of those.  i've heard they're nice.  more geared towards families than Bohemia for sure.  my bro-in-law said he really dug Indianhead.  Next trip i'd like to hit a few places while we're up there.  I was whipped good after the day on Bohemia, so that one would be last on the tour.
the pic i posted of bohemia is just a very small part of the hill at the front, so much is unseen until you are in it.
asd2009 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote asd2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 11:38am
Im going to hit up the o park and mt bohemia over spring break, im pretty excited, especially after that backcountry video. but i got a question, i might start a new thread if a lot of people dont see it here. Does anyone know any good backcountry places in the lower peninsula? snowmobile or hiking access is fine with me. only place Ive really heard of is sleeping bear dunes and other dunes over on the west side of the state.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 12:15pm
haven't gotten to either of those.  i've heard they're nice.  more geared towards families than Bohemia for sure.  my bro-in-law said he really dug Indianhead.  Next trip i'd like to hit a few places while we're up there.  I was whipped good after the day on Bohemia, so that one would be last on the tour.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2011 at 12:45pm
we were eyeing up spots west of cadillac, near wellston.  there's a bunch of state land in the area.  i think it's off of m55 that there's a bunch of spots.  some big hills back in the woods.  we were supposed to hit some new years, but it got so warm that 3' of snow melted in 36 hours, so we got skunked.  we did hit a place last winter in that area, i think the locals called it "big m",  it was super sweet.  got real tired walking up.  this year we had a sled ready to go, but the weather made it useless.
the couple of times i've been by sleeping bear in the winter there was never any snow on it (i think the sand is the culprit).  that area has some nice looking hills between there and TC off 72. 
i like the idea of a thread dedicated to backwoods spots in the lower, i'd like to find out so more places to ride.
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2011 at 10:35am
I want to go to bohemia soo bad!  It looks super sick but its a 10 hour drive.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2011 at 1:40pm
it's totally worth it broham.  if you get the chance do it.  we broke up the drive by staying the night in roscommon, then 6.5 hours from there, but i'm glad we didn't do it all at once.  it is a rough trip.
boarder123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote boarder123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2011 at 6:33am
mt holly boyne
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2011 at 5:52am

it's totally worth it broham.  if you get the chance do it.  we broke up the drive by staying the night in roscommon, then 6.5 hours from there, but i'm glad we didn't do it all at once.  it is a rough trip.
  Ya ive been up there in the summer and there is absolutly nothing on the way up there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>