Quick Login: Forgot password?

Michiganders where you at-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1112131415 17>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michiganders where you at-
    Posted: Feb/09/2012 at 2:23pm
@chips- I'll keep you updated then.  I just got the gun set back up.  I didn't think I was going to be able to, the adapter to my pressure washer broke and without a car I wasn't going to be able to find a new one tonight.  Then I decided to comb through some of my odds and ends and found a way to make it work, at least for now.

@endeaveri- Downstate hills are open, but probably icey with all the summer weather we've been getting.  The northern spots are in great shape, not nearly as much natural as usual, but they're all open and looking good.
endeaveri View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote endeaveri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2012 at 4:08am
@snowj720 -  At least its gonna snow today, tomorrow.  I heard somewhere 3 inches. May not enough considering the summer weather in Michigan.  
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 4:10am
Yeah that snow last night really helped the lab out, looks like a session for sure sunday around 3ish.

I'm going to have to dig out around here before we can ride thoughBig smile
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 4:18am
snowj - Is that all from last night or were you running the snow gun, too?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 4:34am
Some was leftover that survived the last warm up.  Some is natural.  Some is me.  I got to make snow last night, the night before and one other night this week.  I'm still running the gun to try and get a thick layer on the wall ride drop in.  The wind changed on me last night and put like 2' in a spot I didn't want it, so now I have to shovel.  I guess there could be worse problemsCry
It's so damn windy out there I'm having trouble getting motivated to groom.....The park, not meLOL
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 5:34am
Looks sick bro!

Man I kept thinking someone was trying to get in my car again last night but had to keep remembering it was just that crazy wind! But dang you got some coverage there!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 6:29am
Yeah, all the areas we ride on have a foot plus, there's piles (and the kicker) that are a lot deeper (like 2-3').  A session for tommrow is in the works.  You guys are welcome to drop by anytime after 3 if you want to ride with us. 
I got out there and started grooming and digging out features.  You might be able to make out the kicker.
 Above is a pic, I call "bathroom with a view"
endeaveri View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote endeaveri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 8:44am
^^^  The lab looks sick. you are so lucky to have it...!  Handplant anyone?
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 10:37am
I'll bring my camera tomorrow. Hope it's this sunny out tomorrow. I think my lens filters and tripod should be in today for that matter :) get some quality shots!
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 11:20am
Hi guys, just looking looking to see if anyone has experience going to indianhead.  Was considering driving up there first week of march and kind of curious how big the place is and what kind of terrain I would find.  Really any opinions and info would be appreciated.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by mbesp

Hi guys, just looking looking to see if anyone has experience going to indianhead.  Was considering driving up there first week of march and kind of curious how big the place is and what kind of terrain I would find.  Really any opinions and info would be appreciated.

If you're going to the UP you might as well continue driving north and go to Mt. Bohemia, the most extreme terrain east of the Rockies.  Ask MikeD or snowj720, they will confirm.

Info on Indianhead is readily available online:  http://www.indianheadmtn.com/

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 1:31pm

My brother in law lives in southern Illinois, he likes Indianhead so much he drives hours upon hours to get up there.  He hasn't been in a few years (kids make travel tough), but he swears by that place.  I've never been, so I can't speak on it.  It looks to be similar to a boyne or nubs (though maybe a bit taller a hill).  I can say if it's anything like some of the other hills up there, it's probably got some steeps and a pretty straight park.

As Ctoma said, the drive to Bohemia is well worth and extra hour or two.  The most amazing hill in the mid-west.  Get up there on a pow day and you'll never want to leave.  There's no park, no snowguns, and no groomers.  It's all natural with trees and cliffs.  There are 2 blue runs, the rest are all black to triple black.  We make the 10 hour trip from the Detroit area, it's rough, but soooo worth it.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2012 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by chips2853

I'll bring my camera tomorrow. Hope it's this sunny out tomorrow. I think my lens filters and tripod should be in today for that matter :) get some quality shots!

Sweet!  Conditions are the best they've ever been so this should be goodSmile
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by snowj720

My brother in law lives in southern Illinois, he likes Indianhead so much he drives hours upon hours to get up there.  He hasn't been in a few years (kids make travel tough), but he swears by that place.  I've never been, so I can't speak on it.  It looks to be similar to a boyne or nubs (though maybe a bit taller a hill).  I can say if it's anything like some of the other hills up there, it's probably got some steeps and a pretty straight park.

As Ctoma said, the drive to Bohemia is well worth and extra hour or two.  The most amazing hill in the mid-west.  Get up there on a pow day and you'll never want to leave.  There's no park, no snowguns, and no groomers.  It's all natural with trees and cliffs.  There are 2 blue runs, the rest are all black to triple black.  We make the 10 hour trip from the Detroit area, it's rough, but soooo worth it.

Originally posted by ctoma

If you're going to the UP you might as well continue driving north and go to Mt. Bohemia, the most extreme terrain east of the Rockies.  Ask MikeD or snowj720, they will confirm.

Thanks guys.  The only issue i see with going to Bohemia would be my GF isn't as strong a rider as I am and i'm not sure she would do to well there.

I had checked out there website but I am having trouble figuring out how big the place is haha.  I remember someone posted a site that compared hill stats but i can't remember what it is. 

What I'm worried is if we don't get some nice fresh snow it would be just like riding any of the smallish MN resorts we normally go to.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:16am
I want to say their elevation is around 600'
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:38am
You riding still today?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:50am
Yeah, we're about to shortly.  Got a buddy coming by in a few.  Gate will be open on the east side of the house (if not the back gate too, might ride into the alley if we need it).
hcsoccerfreak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hcsoccerfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 9:05pm
Hitting up Mt. Bohemia this weekend!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 2:22am
Originally posted by hcsoccerfreak

Hitting up Mt. Bohemia this weekend!

Better start doing that snow dance now.  I don't think they've got much over the past few weeks, but...It looks like there might be some "activity" this weekend.  So you might be in luck.  Either way you'll have a blast.  Even a less than perfect day up there is better than not being there.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 8:34pm

Thanks guys.  The only issue i see with going to Bohemia would be my GF isn't as strong a rider as I am and i'm not sure she would do to well there.

I had checked out there website but I am having trouble figuring out how big the place is haha.  I remember someone posted a site that compared hill stats but i can't remember what it is. 

What I'm worried is if we don't get some nice fresh snow it would be just like riding any of the smallish MN resorts we normally go to.

The vertical drop is 900 ft and more in some of the backcountry areas.  It's def not a place for newer riders.  There are 2 blue runs, one of which is just a cat track to get U back to the front side of the Mt.  The open/ non glade runs are not groomed, so if there is no fresh snow theses runs are mostly moguls.  It's a super fun place! NOT EVEN CLOSE to a typical midwest resort!! Nothing anywhere east of the Rockies compares to Mt. Bohemia  The terrain is like the top 3rd of a real Mt..... gnarly.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 2:54am

Hate to quote myself,  This elevation was in reference to Indianhead.  Guess I should clarify that.

I gotta agree with MikeD, It (Bohemia) is like the top 1/3 of a western mountain.  Only difference is you're not above the tree line.

Hey Mike, your bro still lookin' to get ride of those Hails?

And- Anyone going to Holly today?  Tremendous Tuesday-$20 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 4:12am
Stuck at work, no chance of hitting Holly today.

Reservations confirmed at Shanty/Schuss for next week, anyone else interested?  I secured discounted rates.  Two packages available, lodging and lift ticket or lodging, lift ticket and breakfast.  Let me know, cut-off date is this Friday.

Here's a handy little chart for comparing all the hills in MI, you can thank me now or later:

chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 4:17am
Just got a groupon ad for caberfae. 21 bucks for all day pass

http://touch.groupon.com/deals/caberfae-peaks-ski-golf-resort-2?c=button&sid=11100897&s=body&utm_source=newsletter&p=1&division=detroit&date=20120214&utm_medium=email&utm_content=all-deals_detroit&utm_campaign=caberfae-peaks-ski-golf-resort-2&addxe=WklNTUUyRE1AR01BSUwuQ09N&user=88b9aba3d18f71c178cd222bee92c687f83d357578d9b4dc71a35db412d45954&mobile=true
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 12:31pm
Cab is always good like that.  I've never paid full price there.  I wish every hill in MI had such deals.

Nice work on the link there C, that chart is awesome.  There's hills on there I didn't even know existed.

Had a pretty rad day at Holly today.  Got to ride my Malolo the second half of the day, that thing really likes jumpsSmile  It's been a while since I've been that far off the ground.  I was actually clearing the landing for one of the jumps, it messed with me, but made me feel badass at the same time.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 12:54pm

Hate to quote myself,  This elevation was in reference to Indianhead.  Guess I should clarify that.

I gotta agree with MikeD, It (Bohemia) is like the top 1/3 of a western mountain.  Only difference is you're not above the tree line.

Hey Mike, your bro still lookin' to get ride of those Hails?

And- Anyone going to Holly today?  Tremendous Tuesday-$20 

I'm sure he still has them!  I will contact him and get a price for U and send U a PM.. or PM me if I forget LOL

Stuck at work, no chance of hitting Holly today.

Reservations confirmed at Shanty/Schuss for next week, anyone else interested?  I secured discounted rates.  Two packages available, lodging and lift ticket or lodging, lift ticket and breakfast.  Let me know, cut-off date is this Friday.

Here's a handy little chart for comparing all the hills in MI, you can thank me now or later:

My friends and I might get up there that weekend!  We get $10 lift tix at Shanty Creek/ Schuss w/ our season passes at Cab every day but Sat (which is $25).  I will let U know our plans!
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 12:57pm
making my annual UP trip this weekend, Indianhead and Big Powderhorn. and if its snowing or snowed alot recently, ill probaly go to the Porkies and o some cat skiing, anyone ever done that?
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 1:56pm
I would love to do the Cat riding!.. I would love to spend a week in the U.P. and do the Cat riding for a day or 2 and Bohemia the rest of the time!!  Maybe we need to do a meet-up next season and do the Cat riding and Bohemia!??! Big smile
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by MikeD13559

My friends and I might get up there that weekend!  We get $10 lift tix at Shanty Creek/ Schuss w/ our season passes at Cab every day but Sat (which is $25).  I will let U know our plans!

MikeD - Yeah, definitely let me know if you and your buddies are going to be at Shanty/Schuss one of the days I'm there (arriving late Tuesday night, I'm going to be riding Wed - Fri).
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by MikeD13559

I would love to do the Cat riding!.. I would love to spend a week in the U.P. and do the Cat riding for a day or 2 and Bohemia the rest of the time!!  Maybe we need to do a meet-up next season and do the Cat riding and Bohemia!??! Big smile

An extended stay in the UP would be pretty sweet.  Be pretty cool to hit Bo for a couple days and try some of the other hills up there too.  I've heard the Porkies weren't worth all the hype, but they have a nice vertical, some backcountry, and some great views.

I think it'd be super kewl to get some sleds and check out some stuff off the beaten path.  I know you've seen the big peak a few miles away from Bohemia Mike.  When you get to the top (from the main lift) I think it's to the east, there's that big hill in the middle of nowhere.  Between that and all the little secret spots in that area we could spend some serious time up there.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 1:09pm
yeah that would be sick!  I know the peak U are talking about.. looks like a giant boob.  There are def a few peaks and ridges U can see from the lifts that look inviting.   
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 1:21pm
thanks for all the input guys and that link is helpful ctoma.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 2:23pm
Alright, after being a hermit all day I finished my video for my entry into Rome's backyard contest.  Hopefully youtube doesn't mute the audio.  I couldn't help it though, I really like the song.  Maybe now that I'm done with this I can get my Bohemia footage together.

Anyhow, I probably won't win, but tell me what you think of the video anyhow.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 2:52pm
snowj - Really enjoyed your video!  Good luck with the contest.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the heads up on it C.
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 3:29pm

Nice work but they already killed your audio. boo

wait if you click that link you posted it works haha. i might be doing something wrong.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 3:33pm

Thanks for the heads up on it C.

You're welcome.  Just remember, if you win and the Rome team comes to your house... you have to invite me, too!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 4:50pm
Totally.  Already thought thatBig smile
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 7:38pm
aww man thats a nice video!  makes me bummed I keep getting side tracked to come over.  I need to though!
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 7:46pm
sweet vid!  Hopefully U win!
The shed feature is really cool!
We really need to do something like that at my friend's house... his backyard is a hill.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 12:21am
I'm so jealous of anyone that has an actual hill in their yard.  My little bro out in K-zoo has a gentle slope and a nice chunk of land.  I tried to talk him into building a free standing wall, but it didn't happen this year.  The wall is a lot of fun, even if I can only do a move or two on the thing this year.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 12:13pm
Who's riding where this weekend?!?!?
99% chance of Cab for me.  Maybe Shanty Creek.. but most likely Cab.
We still need to figure out a Boyne Mt. meet-up or something. Somewhere we can use the shell ski free buy one get one vouchers.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 1:24pm
Wish I could get to anywhere this weekend.  I'm the A-hole that has to work every freakin' weekend.  We're hitting Nubs the 28th, Boyne Highlands the 29th.  Using those shell passes up.  If anyone is thinking about playing hooky either of those days (and driving a million miles) holla.

Looking warm in the north this upcoming week.  Even rain.  Up at boyne they're supposed to get rain tonight and it's going to be a low of 29.  Really gross.  This has been the winter that never was.  We better get an epic winter next year. 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 3:23pm
Upon request, here are a few pics from PowPowPalooza #3:

Sunset over Mt Bohemia

Inside the "Mega Yurt"

All of the boarders at PPP3 (minus me)- 2 screen caps 'photoshoped' together

Jaylen (age 10)  Ollie over a bush on the Ghost Trail on the way to the Outer Limits_ *Jaylen Shreds*Big smile

Jaylen's Indy on the Bear's Den

Jaylen later that run down the Bear's Den...... Star

Lift Shot

Ming's Indy

Your boy MikeD in the Haunted Valley
Big smile

One of my favorite sections of the Outer Limits

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 3:47pm

Wish I could get to anywhere this weekend.  I'm the A-hole that has to work every freakin' weekend.  We're hitting Nubs the 28th, Boyne Highlands the 29th.  Using those shell passes up.  If anyone is thinking about playing hooky either of those days (and driving a million miles) holla.

Looking warm in the north this upcoming week.  Even rain.  Up at boyne they're supposed to get rain tonight and it's going to be a low of 29.  Really gross.  This has been the winter that never was.  We better get an epic winter next year. 

Looks like the forecast changed. I'm seeing a lot of, am show showers, few snow showers and flurries in the forecast for Cab to Boyne Mt this weekend and next week! Big smile  *weather.com and accuweather.com*   Looks like low to mid 30s.  And rain/ snow maybe tues... hoping it's only snow!

Hopefully that ups to snow, snow, snow, snow, snow!!!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 6:09pm
Yeah, changed a bit, still calling for a warm up next week, but I've got my fingers crossed for snow.  I hope they get nailed up there, still haven't gotten my powder fix this season yet.

Nice pics Mike.  Looks like you guys had some nice skies and good times. 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 12:29pm
ha, the forecast for the north has changed, doesn't look like significant snowfall, but at least it's not going to be rain up there.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 8:00pm
Cab was super fun tonight!! heavy snow fell a few times.. 1-2'' ish.  It basically snowed from 5-10pm.  Looks like everything north got some good snow! not a ton.. but enough to make it good and fun!
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 7:02am
Nice pics mike!

Snowj is the lab gonna be open this weekend?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 10:12am
I'm about to fire up the gun right now to build the wall approach back up.  I'm thinking maybe an afternoon sesh tommrow when I get off work.  Maybe like 3:30ish.  Come on by man.  You've got to check it out before the weather shits on our paradeLOL  It does still look good back there though.  Little crunchy after that warm up, but that just makes the snow fasterThumbs Up
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 10:41am

I'm about to fire up the gun right now to build the wall approach back up.  I'm thinking maybe an afternoon sesh tommrow when I get off work.  Maybe like 3:30ish.  Come on by man.  You've got to check it out before the weather shits on our paradeLOL  It does still look good back there though.  Little crunchy after that warm up, but that just makes the snow fasterThumbs Up

That backyard is amazing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>