Quick Login: Forgot password?

Michiganders where you at-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 45678 17>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michiganders where you at-
    Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 1:18pm
NICE!  Good to see you'll be able to enjoy this winterClap
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 1:19pm
Yes i have heard of Marhar... my buddy has a park in his yard so i think i'll just ride thereWink
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by snowj720

NICE!  Good to see you'll be able to enjoy this winterClap

heck yes!  1k worth of stuff for under 350, im not complaining one bit and it was all in close to new condition, specially the board and boots.  Might order pants tonight.  but damn we need snow!
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 1:41pm

Thanks guys.  It's been 4+ years in the making.  Every season it's evolved. 
Hey chill, you're in high school, that's old enough to get a jobLOL   Seriously, if you've got flat ground like we do, it's not that bad to at least build a drop in and a box or two.  We're the experts at doing a park on the cheap.  A drop in like the one for our wall ride might be a hundred in lumber and screws.  And that's a really solid drop in.  I think I built the 14' box for under 50.  Start out with one thing (a drop in and a box) and then add something or improve every winter (think about it in the summer too).  By the time you've got your own place you'll know exactly what you want in a backyard park.

You're from GR chill, you ever heard of Marhar snowboards?  They're from there.  Just learned about them the other day.  If you guys can, give them support.  They make some sweet boards. 

I have scoped them out at Bill and Paul's here in GR.  The boards seem solid.  Bad graphics though. I'm going to talk to them about doing some graphics for next seasons models. 

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 1:50pm
do it mike! thatd be awesome. let me know if you do any graphics for stuff like this, Ill buy a Mike graphicd board
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 2:08pm
I dig the graphics Mike.  The tech of the boards seems pretty cool.  Every board seems to be the same design, but it's a cool design.  Like a park board that would do well in everything else too.

Yeah chips, that's the way we do it, discounted equipmentSmile  I've never paid full retail for anything. 

We do need some snow, this rain just ain't right.  I was hoping to have the park open when my brothers are in town for xmas, but now I don't know about that.  And just when I got the balls to learn me a new trick.

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 2:47pm

I dig the graphics Mike.  The tech of the boards seems pretty cool.  Every board seems to be the same design, but it's a cool design.  Like a park board that would do well in everything else too.

Well... wait to U see what I come up with for them .. U will LOVE the graphics Wink
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 2:59pm
man, i wonder how far we actually live from eachother lol.  your backyard looks just like mine haha. well minus the snow and board park haha.  i wanna get back to buttering a box like that 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 3:09am
I'm really close to 7-11 and Caulders, they're about a 3 minute walk northwest for me.  I think all the yards in LP look the sameLOL  except for those lucky people (like my neighbor) that have a double lot.  Wish I could have bought a house with a double lot, we could really use about 20' more yard.  We constantly run into the fence.  Can't wait til winter shows up so we can start riding out into the alley.

I'll keep my eyes out for that Mike.  I told Jobee (a local artist) to send them some stuff, they could pull from so much talent in this state if they need graphics.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 3:27am
Well for LP you either have a sided house or a brick house and each seems to have segregated areas the dominate lol. You're more north side, I'm south side living between meijers an te old farmer jack/blockbuster plaza. Literally just off the street that connects Dix to fort haha.

I was looking up stuff to make a snow gun and it looks fairly cheap and fun. I might have to see if I could make one haha
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 3:34am

I'm really close to 7-11 and Caulders, they're about a 3 minute walk northwest for me.  

Sounds like Lincoln Park to me, is that correct?
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 3:53am
Originally posted by ctoma

I'm really close to 7-11 and Caulders, they're about a 3 minute walk northwest for me.  

Sounds like Lincoln Park to me, is that correct?

Yup, good ole stinkin' Lincoln park, where every morning when you go to your car it smells like a giant fart outside :/ actually that's all downriver lol
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:07am
Originally posted by chips2853

Yup, good ole stinkin' Lincoln park, where every morning when you go to your car it smells like a giant fart outside :/ actually that's all downriver lol

Seriously?  It can't be that bad, it isn't River Rouge.  I had a friend who had a friend that lived in River Rouge.  Went to her house a couple times, everything in the area smelled like a strange sulfur-chemical smell.  Nearby were factories belching out all kinds of crap into the air.  Not a very pleasant town.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:19am
We're close enough lol
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:43am
right.  We're right down the street from that stank.  And we (especially on my side of fort) get all the problems from Rouge, Ecorse, and Detroit.  Thus the car break ins and general hood rat bs that happens around here. 
If you have any questions about the snowgun stuff chips just give me shout.  We started with the most basic one (just a compressor and garden hose).  That one was kind of frustrating trying to get the air/water mix just right.  And it would freeze up all the time (a work light under it helped).
This year I built the internal mix that uses a pressure washer.  This one puts out sooooo much snow compared to the old one and is easier to use.  Aside from the gun you'd need something like these- http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-hp-10-gallon-125-psi-air-compressor-67708.html

Both are usually on sale for cheaper.  I recommend an extra air hose too cuz mine seem to freeze at some point.   Doing what you do for a living though you probably already have a compressor laying aroundLOL
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 4:53am
I'm gonna have to pick your brain on this one, I was looking at some stuff online and I could easily weld up a spray to be capped on one end am have the air and water inserts on the other while drilling tiny and I mean tiny holes like they do for nitrous kits.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:15pm
are you thinkin' the one with just the compressor and a garden hose?  or are you thinkin' the one with the pressure washer? 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:43pm
this is a pic of the two I've made.  The one on the left was really simple, air quick fit and a fitting for the hose.  Drilled a really small hole in the end cap. 
The one on the right is the one I made this year.  Quick connect, pressure washer hose adapter, and some snowmaking nozzles.  I think I could have made the bottom (air) nozzle myself and found my own hose adapter, but those came with the two top nozzles.  The top two nozzles have a more square hole to them and the holes are tiny.  The spray on those two comes out fan like.  Flat and wide.  All three sprays (from the nozzle) come together a couple feet away from the gun.  I think if you can get a spray pattern like that you'd be good.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2011 at 1:53pm
man id prolly do the power washer if you think that would be better and i could borrow the one from work lol.  whered you get the snow making nozzles?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 2:35am
The one with the pressure washer is totally worth the cost difference.  I covered the whole park in 30 hours.  With the old one I would have been making snow 24 hours a day for a week.  I made enough snow we still have a little left back there after the rain.  Not enough to do anything with, but at least I won't have to make as much for the wall approach.
If you're just making enough for a run, you can make that in a few hours. Run it when you go to bed, wake up to snow.Tongue

The nozzles are a bit pricey, but they get the job done.  I had to use brass for the gun cuz I couldn't find 1/4" in galvanized.  Which I guess is for the best since I don't have to worry about it rusting out.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 2:12pm
Northern MI Report

Nubs Nob:  Roughly 25% of the runs and 3 chairs were open.  Conditions were icy except for 1 run on the back which was surprisingly powder.  The downside of the powder run was boarding past the snow guns once you reach the halfway point of the run.  Grey skies, bitter winds.  Not the best conditions but I was happy to be riding.

Tomorrow:  Boyne Mountain

Sunday:  Crystal Mountain Boyne Highlands (change of plans since Crystal has very little open)
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2011 at 2:17pm
Hey snowj you making snow tonight?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 9:57am
you tryin' to make us jealous ctoma?Wink

No, no snow made last night.  It was marginal for making it and I had to get up @ 5am for work, which means I would have had to get up a half hour early to shut it down (can't leave that for my wife, I'd probably end up with a flooded yard and a broken compressorLOL).  Hopefully tonight will be cold enough (and lower humidity).  I have work in the morning, but if I can start making it early enough it'll be worth it to get up a little earlier.  I hope this week gets colder than predicted, I need some snow for a christmas sessionBig smile
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 10:00am
Just got pants, gloves, and new lime green laces lol I'm ready to rock and roll. Oh yeah when we get real snow I think we should use my works lawn to do some tow in jumps! I'll post a pic in a bit.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 3:23pm

Northern MI Report

Nubs Nob:  Roughly 25% of the runs and 3 chairs were open.  Conditions were icy except for 1 run on the back which was surprisingly powder.  The downside of the powder run was boarding past the snow guns once you reach the halfway point of the run.  Grey skies, bitter winds.  Not the best conditions but I was happy to be riding.

Tomorrow:  Boyne Mountain Highlands

Sunday:  Crystal Mountain Boyne Highlands Mountain (change of plans since Crystal has very little open)

Day 2, Boyne Highlands:  Roughly 33% of the runs and chairs open.  Blue sky, sun and better snow conditions than yesterday at Nubs.  North and South Challenger runs were chunky, Challenger Terrain Park kicked my ass (literally), Heather and K2 runs were in decent condition, Little John was decent.  Months after winning a Bluebird I finally get a chance to ride it, definitely stiffer and longer than my Rome Postermania, took some getting used to.  Also spotted a Stunt while riding, I think it was the first time I saw a Sierra board on the slopes.

Enjoying a North Peak Brewing Company Diabolical IPA while watching college football (Famous Idaho Potato Bowl?  Seriously?).

chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 3:56pm
Why won't it snowCry
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by chillman

Why won't it snowCry

It was dumping at Cab today!! Dumping as we left too.. basically all day!  It was so much fun!  Get up there!
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:16pm
hate you mike, stupid lake michigan is on the wrong side of us. haha. good for you man, shred hard
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:18pm
i need to go hang with snowj lol this lack of snow is killing me and i want to board so bad.  but i know i will be in boyne next week for sure. family time :)
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:22pm
Are you talking about Caberfae? Their website says they have no new snow in the past 24 hours.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:29pm
Sweet mike! Hopefully i can go soon. Couldn't go today cause dad was working. Hopefully one of my buddies will go up this week so i can ride with them.
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:38pm
Hey I have a question for you michiganders around boyne... I went last year some time in march so conditions weren't stellar, and they had quite a bit of runs down and some that shut down at like 2 or 3 I believe. Is it worth it to drive the 6 hours to go up there the couple days after christmas, or will it be crazy busy? Also do they shut down many runs during the weekdays?
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by MtMansfield

Hey I have a question for you michiganders around boyne... I went last year some time in march so conditions weren't stellar, and they had quite a bit of runs down and some that shut down at like 2 or 3 I believe. Is it worth it to drive the 6 hours to go up there the couple days after christmas, or will it be crazy busy? Also do they shut down many runs during the weekdays?

i lived there for years, its worth the drive, but as for this year its hard to say with the little snow they've been receiving.  id check the weather up there (49712) all week if you plan on going.  during the week they close at 4:40 unless conditions are good to stay open for night skiing too. which that goes till 9.  i hope that helps out. ill be up there myself and go regardless. gotta love family 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Are you talking about Caberfae? Their website says they have no new snow in the past 24 hours.

Yes!  U can't count on their website until the day after. But, trust me.. it was dumping up there! I was there from about 3- after 8.  They also had the snow guns were blasting.  I had a good 3'' to brush off on my car before I left.
Going back tomorrow. Big smile
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by MikeD13559

Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Yes!  U can't count on their website until the day after. But, trust me.. it was dumping up there! I was there from about 3- after 8.  They also had the snow guns were blasting.  I had a good 3'' to brush off on my car before I left.
Going back tomorrow. Big smile

i really wish cab wasnt so far from here in detroit area.  when i went to central i went there a lot with my room mates. has some fun spots for real.  
MtMansfield View Drop Down
Local
Local
up at holiday valley

Quote MtMansfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 7:26pm
Thanks for the quick reply chips, yea it was awesome last year. Being so warm last year my friends and I were just itching to get back when the powder dumped down. This year isn't looking to good for snowboarding early on this winter least around ohio. We got barely a dusting today.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 7:46pm
yeah this year has been rough for snow here in michigan too, at least for the lower peninsula\

im personally hoping that in the next week they get a nice dumping of snow there or have the guns roaring because im itching like crazy to get out there and ill be a mile away from the mountain at my old house lol
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2011 at 8:41pm
It's coming Chips! I can feel it! We will get some good dumps here soon!  The lake will fire up and and make us all happy Big smile
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 10:40am

Just got pants, gloves, and new lime green laces lol I'm ready to rock and roll. Oh yeah when we get real snow I think we should use my works lawn to do some tow in jumps! I'll post a pic in a bit.
one of the crew recommended that at his work too.  I'm down for anything if we ever get freakin' snowAngry  This weather is really pissin' me off
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 10:44am

Worth the trip, but I'd say if you're driving all that way go an extra half hour and hit the highlands or nubs.  And Yes, it's crazy buzy around the holidays.  We did it a few years back and will never do that one again.  It was fun, but the lift ticket is like 10 bucks more and you don't get nearly as many runs in as a regular day.

chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 11:35am
So what are you guys building your rails out of. Metal will be too much money so i was thinking of throwing some trex on a 4x4. 10 ft long. I just don't know what trex seeing as theres so many different decking pieces. I was hoping for something smooth topped and not hollow.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 12:10pm

Worth the trip, but I'd say if you're driving all that way go an extra half hour and hit the highlands or nubs.  And Yes, it's crazy buzy around the holidays.  We did it a few years back and will never do that one again.  It was fun, but the lift ticket is like 10 bucks more and you don't get nearly as many runs in as a regular day.

i went last year the day after christmas and it was soooooo mellow. i got so many runs in and i was just by myself meeting new people.  

i got some great news that you all are going to hate me when i say it, but i just found out this afternoon lol. my moms boyfriend who i get to meet at christmas works for boyne mt and he told her that hell get me free passes whenever and i can get like 30% off at BCS(the shop) lol so im happier than a pig in shiz right now. haha. might go up a day or two early just to ride
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 12:13pm

i went last year the day after christmas and it was soooooo mellow. i got so many runs in and i was just by myself meeting new people.  

i got some great news that you all are going to hate me when i say it, but i just found out this afternoon lol. my moms boyfriend who i get to meet at christmas works for boyne mt and he told her that hell get me and all my TruSnow friends free passes whenever and i can get like 30% off at BCS(the shop) lol so im happier than a pig in shiz right now. haha. might go up a day or two early just to ride

fixed.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by chillman

So what are you guys building your rails out of. Metal will be too much money so i was thinking of throwing some trex on a 4x4. 10 ft long. I just don't know what trex seeing as theres so many different decking pieces. I was hoping for something smooth topped and not hollow.

how do you figure metal is going to be so expensive?  depending on the material you can get it for anywhere from 2-5 bucks a foot. so a for like 75 bucks max you could get enough to make a 10ft rail that is at least 1 foot off the ground.  just depends on the wall thickness and diameter.  i get 1-5/8 X .083 chromoly for around 5 bucks a foot. And thats way stronger than you need.  you could get a stick of 1-1/2 X.095 ERW or DOM for a lot cheaper. and could get a couple feet of 3/4" x .083 to make gussets if youre worried about strength. and that all will be pretty cheap.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 12:55pm
Idk. I just got more confused there haha erwhat?  Idk, plus metal rusts. I'm just gonna go with trex stuff. But as my orginal question said (in short) what kind?
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 1:25pm
don't do trex, it's not smooth enough.  You can use 4x4 covered with a post sleeve (pvc).  They're like $25 @ home depot.  Cut it lengthwise so you can make two 8 footers. Or 10, if they have them that long.  I know they have 8 for sure.  My brother did it and he said it works pretty well so far.

Chips- I'm soooooo jealous.  I've been wanting to move north for years now just so I can work the boynes or nubs and ride for free.  You've got something even better, all the ridin' without all the workin' partClap  
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 2:15pm

don't do trex, it's not smooth enough.  You can use 4x4 covered with a post sleeve (pvc).  They're like $25 @ home depot.  Cut it lengthwise so you can make two 8 footers. Or 10, if they have them that long.  I know they have 8 for sure.  My brother did it and he said it works pretty well so far.

Chips- I'm soooooo jealous.  I've been wanting to move north for years now just so I can work the boynes or nubs and ride for free.  You've got something even better, all the ridin' without all the workin' partClap  

i lived there for years and always had the pass, but theres just not enough to do right in town.  id live in petoskey over boyne to be honest. yes i know theres a lot of outdoor stuff to do and i love all that, but growing up there wasnt much for us kids to do, no mall, no movie theatre (they closed ours downtown)  just not nearly as much as our area now snowj. its good to visit and id live there when i am older and dont have the want to do much besides relax, but i definitely need more of a fast paced life where i dont have to drive 20-60 mins to get whatever i need or want lol.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 4:14pm

Northern MI Report

Tomorrow:  Boyne Mountain Highlands

Sunday:  Crystal Mountain Boyne Highlands Mountain (change of plans since Crystal has very little open)

Day 2, Boyne Highlands:  Roughly 33% of the runs and chairs open.  Blue sky, sun and better snow conditions than yesterday at Nubs.  North and South Challenger runs were chunky, Challenger Terrain Park kicked my ass (literally), Heather and K2 runs were in decent condition, Little John was decent.  Months after winning a Bluebird I finally get a chance to ride it, definitely stiffer and longer than my Rome Postermania, took some getting used to.  Also spotted a Stunt while riding, I think it was the first time I saw a Sierra board on the slopes.

Enjoying a North Peak Brewing Company Diabolical IPA while watching college football (Famous Idaho Potato Bowl?  Seriously?).

Day 3, Boyne Mountain:  Roughly 25% of the runs and lifts open.  Grey skies and a bit windy.  South, Center and North McClouth were a combination of fluffy and chunky (strange, I know), lost an edge a few times and ate some chunky ice.  Victor and Aurora were okay, cut through Deer Run a few times to hit a couple of small features in Funland.  My buddy and I were dragging ass most of the day, I think our legs were shot from the previous 2 days of riding.  Boyne's Mountain Express lift got crowded as the morning changed to afternoon, saw a few skiers decked out in hunting jackets and hats.  Spotted a Sierra Crew on the slopes today, 2nd Sierra board spotting in 2 days.

Overall it was a great opening weekend.  Day 2 at Boyne Highlands was the highlight of the weekend, great weather and the best conditions of the 3 hills.  I am worn out, tired and sore.  Back to work and reality tomorrow.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2011 at 6:05pm
hey ctoma, did you take any pics?  i always like when people post what all theyve done, specially here
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2011 at 3:47am

i lived there for years and always had the pass, but theres just not enough to do right in town.  id live in petoskey over boyne to be honest. yes i know theres a lot of outdoor stuff to do and i love all that, but growing up there wasnt much for us kids to do, no mall, no movie theatre (they closed ours downtown)  just not nearly as much as our area now snowj. its good to visit and id live there when i am older and dont have the want to do much besides relax, but i definitely need more of a fast paced life where i dont have to drive 20-60 mins to get whatever i need or want lol.

Yeah, I've lived in the downriver/south Detroit area my whole life.  I've spent some time north as a kid and more when I moved out.  I can't get enough of the north.  When I was younger I did like the faster pace/convenience of the city.  My wife lived in the middle of nowhere, seriously northern MI is crowded compared to where she grew up.   She hated it growing up in the middle of nowhere.  She feels she missed out on a lot of culture not living in the city (especially when I talk about my old punk days and connection to the city).  I wish I would have  grown up somewhere around a good hill, I feel I missed out on a lot not having that upbringing.  We must always want what we didn't/dont' have.  The grass is always greener...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>