lukedouglassmith View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Champagne Glaciar!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Impact Shorts 2010-
    Posted: Dec/16/2009 at 11:52am
Ok, so now i'm confused.

I've been doing research into the best to get and ultimately last year the red impact shorts were crap compared to the forcefields.
This year alot of companies are using that impact foam technology.
In your opinion, hopefully from experience, which have you found the best buy.

i.e product quality vs price.

Thx guys!

VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2009 at 11:53am
Brown pants are the best thing to wear for impacts.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Champagne Glaciar!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2009 at 11:54am
lol. that was a joke right? i mean armoured shorts... Dead
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2009 at 3:01pm

I've been riding for years and I've never used any impact clothing/gear before but, becasue I really wanted to "get my jib on" this year, I decided to get some.

I checked out what was out there and tried on more than a few different pairs of impact shorts and ended up liking and keeping a pair of RED D3O Impact Shorts.

I've only been riding 3 days this season and haven't used them as of yet.

I also picked up a POC Spine Vest to (hopefully) offer some meaningful protection for my back in the event of a hard hit/fall on a box or rail or any particularly-solid surface.

My brother is an orthopedic surgeon and he actually laughed when I showed him my newly-acquired impact clothing (especially the POC back pad dealy-o) but I think/feel like wearing a little protection is at least worth a try so that's what I'm gonna do--give it a try.  My brother says that the most frequent snowboarding/skiing related injury that he sees here in Southern California is broken wrists.  I think that by his estimation wristguards are easily the most beneficial "impact gear" that a snowboarder or skiier can use. 

Skeletools impact shorts (and their vest) also caught my interest...

I know that some people wear mountain bike and/or motorcycle focused/related impact clothing/gear for snowboarding but I know none personally nor do I know anything about such products...

There have been multiple "impact" clothing/gear threads here @ Sierra over the last few/couple months that shouldn't be too difficult to find and review were one so inclined...

PATKOUG
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2009 at 3:06pm
try searching the forum for "BEST TAILBONE PROTECTION".
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 12:19am
working's short answer - best: tpro shorts with 4 layer (100J rating) coccyx or tpro pants 4 layer

depending on the model, tpro (US label) aka forcefield (UK label) shorts and pants come with 4 layers. you can easily strip out the excess weight from 4 layers because its highly modular. but i would advise keeping the 4 at the coccyx. i tried 2 layer everything. it was incredibly light offering 50J rating protection. but it wasn't enough. ouch.

main argument - if you're going to shell out the $, then you want the best protection. how do you know what works and how much does it work better than the next product? you need benchmarks or standards. the only out there are the euro CE motorcylce standards (CEs). only tpro and poc claim CE level 2 approval for their back protectors. Clap tpro gear has CE levels and certifications for each part they have.

I have upgraded my crash pad shorts to tpro shorts. And the crash pads short aren't shabby either. maybe im a little too biased .... extreme harness + pro shorts + knees

and forcefield tech is not foam. its more like a nitrile honeycomb rubber material, which also hardens upon impact like the foams. the truly remarkable thing is that tpro's top of the line product sub 4 material has 4 kN tranmission. the standard CE level 2 has 9 kN transmission of force. theres like one other product that comes close and it costs thousands more.

the red d3o sounds pretty cool. unless im wrong, i doubt burton will go through the obstacles and money involved to CE test and certify the material. so you dont know how it stacks up against everything else. whats marketing hype and whats scientific data from real world trials.

so read up some more. i compiled the top 3 threads here at sierra.
red impact shorts or others
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14660&KW=tpro

back protection
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29906&KW=tpro

pro gear - body armor
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31240&KW=tpro

a little too much info?

PATKOUG - I thought of answer to your question. cut up your voc spine and cram the extra pieces in your gloves wrist side or somehow tape it to your knee. the wrist idea is to absorb any fall if you would ever have.

updated post to verify numbers.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 4:05am
Originally posted by 2zz

try searching the forum for "BEST TAILBONE PROTECTION".

shtook that.  sierra search is a joke right now.

The Forcefield pant seems like the best all-around option.  I may pick one up if I am able to find a pair and try them one.

The RED ones are a joke.

I have some POC VPD shorts that I'm not too stoked on.  They have a soft material that hardens over the tail bone, but it's so thin I'm not sure that it would do anything.  It does have great hip protection, but I'd prefer more ass coverage to hip coverage.

The most effective cheap way I've found is probably Azzpadz.  It's a little awkward to sit on (not terrible, just a little bit), but it covers the but pretty well, especially the tail bone.  Main issue I have with it is that it provides zero hip coverage, which sucks when you hip check into ice.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 9:32am

Well, the RED D3Os seemed to me to be the least "humorous" of the all the different impact shorts that I was able to actually try-on.  I suppose only time will tell how "funny" they actually are--whether I end up "laughing" about that last slam on my way back UP the mountain or "crying" over it on my way DOWN...

Those Azzpadz seemed fairly "comedic/comical" to me though...  
PATKOUG
Caboose22 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2009 at 11:27am
check out Crash Pads ive only worn them twice so far and yet to have a big fall to really test them but they fit pretty well i dont even notice them on. they bail bone pad is huge and same with the hip area 
Burn out not fade away
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Champagne Glaciar!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2009 at 5:24am
awesome guys. thx for the feedback. I will try out the RED 3Dos as the forcfields are slightly too expensive
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2009 at 9:59pm

This is pretty much what I wear when I ride:

RED Trace Helmet
SixSixOne Pro Pressure Suit
RED Wrist Guard
Protec IPS Impact Shorts (Good most falls, but the hard ones. I'm looking to upgrade to hardshell or impact d30 gel)
Volleyball Knee Pads

If you are not planning on shelling out top dollars, the SixSixOne Pro Pressure Suit has worked out for me so far. I have thread with some review on the suit and SixSixOne other model, the SixSixOne Pressure Suite (not the pro).

In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2009 at 10:31pm
bunnysloper - you got all that gear but no helmet (or pants? Tongue)?
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2009 at 6:13am
Originally posted by working

bunnysloper - you got all that gear but no helmet (or pants? Tongue)?
Oh yeah...haha...forgot about the RED Trace helmet.

Yeah, I just ride in my impact shorts and knee pads..haha
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
crispy5 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2009 at 9:11am
working, does the T-Pro Action Short fit true to size?

No matter where you go, there you are.
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2009 at 10:51am
the dupont climaxcool fabric is stretchy and tight like spandex. think compression shorts. hence they will either fit tight or tighter. LOL i have a 32' waist and the medium and large both work for me. but in general, i found the tpro sizing chart is pretty good (just look at all those darn measurements they have on there).
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by PATKOUG

Well, the RED D3Os seemed to me to be the least "humorous" of the all the different impact shorts that I was able to actually try-on.  I suppose only time will tell how "funny" they actually are--whether I end up "laughing" about that last slam on my way back UP the mountain or "crying" over it on my way DOWN...

Comical or not, they work.  They're comfortable, low profile, cover the tail bone and the rest of the ass pretty well, and they both stay out of the way and stay in place.  They're also the only option I've found that allows easy access to the junk for bathroom breaks (this is a major annoyance of mine in impact shorts and base layers: allowing fly access isn't that hard).  They're low tech, but I have tried a TON of different impact shorts on the market and these are the only ones I've stuck with.  My only complaint with them is that they have zero hip coverage, but I only hit my hips a couple times a season, so I'm willing to give that up for everything else.

Tried on the T-pro action shorts when I picked up my Flite harness... more side coverage than I like and not enough ass coverage.  They fit me a little strangely too.  I might have been down with the lower profile version, but the 100 joule version was definitely overkil for me.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
crispy5 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2009 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by kimchijajonshim

Comical or not, they work.  They're comfortable, low profile, cover the tail bone and the rest of the ass pretty well, and they both stay out of the way and stay in place.  They're also the only option I've found that allows easy access to the junk for bathroom breaks (this is a major annoyance of mine in impact shorts and base layers: allowing fly access isn't that hard).  They're low tech, but I have tried a TON of different impact shorts on the market and these are the only ones I've stuck with.  My only complaint with them is that they have zero hip coverage, but I only hit my hips a couple times a season, so I'm willing to give that up for everything else.

Tried on the T-pro action shorts when I picked up my Flite harness... more side coverage than I like and not enough ass coverage.  They fit me a little strangely too.  I might have been down with the lower profile version, but the 100 joule version was definitely overkil for me.

Would you say that the T-Pro shorts have more or less ass coverage than the typical impact shorts? Anything else would probably have less ass coverage than you are used to seeing as you are coming from Azzpadz, no?

I'm leaning heavily towards picking up a pair of the T-pro shorts.  My sad backup REDs just reinforced how sad they are this past weekend.  Got the nice ass bruise to prove it.  I would try the RED d3o shorts, but seeing as how my go to RED Impact Shorts' mesh did not hold up, I'm leaning away from RED.

Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 9:16am
The TPros definitely have better coverage than the RED ones you have, but that's probably because the RED ones you have (I'm assuming they're the board short ones) are a JOKE.

The TPros have a pretty substantive 4-layer piece directly over the tail bone, but nothing over the buttocks (at least the pair I tried on, the Forcefield websites says they should have some coverage there).  They also have very burly 4-layer hip protection.

The 100-joule version just seemed like too much to me.  I'd like to try the 50-joule version someday, but it's not distributed in the US.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 12:50pm
kimchijajonshim - the shorts and pants are modular. 100 joule versions are 4 layers of that stuff (actually 2 of the double layers). for the areas that its too much (like the thighs), you could remove one or both of the double layers. i gave a recommendation that one could strip everything on the shorts to 50J (single double layer) on everything except for the tailbone to save on weight.

thats weird about the buttocks coverage. both of my shorts have a large tailbone and two j shaped pads for buttocks (in addition to two hip, two pelvis and two massive thigh pads). but i suspect that its a motorcycle impact shorts first and foremost. you're more likely to need the thigh protection at high speed impact. i wish they could have move the massive thigh pads to cover your entire bottocks (or one for each cheek LOL).

alternatively, you could buy the tpro inserts and tape/velcro it on the inside of the azzpad. the best of both worlds.

and how do you like the flite so far?

crispy - if you want more coverage, try

bohn shorts. they seem too restrictive.
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 12:56pm
I just can't see those being comfortable at all ^^
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 5:14pm

Really digging it.  Barely notice it's there.  The only issue I have so far is that the first day I took it out, it rubbed up against the base of my neck and made it a bit red by the end of the day.  Didn't get that the second day, when i finagled with fit more... but I also had a collar that day (smartwool quarter zip-up).  Overall, even if I have wear a rugby or collared shirt with it, I'm glad I made the investment.  Far superior to the POC stuff.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2010 at 8:39pm

Really digging it.  Barely notice it's there.  The only issue I have so far is that the first day I took it out, it rubbed up against the base of my neck and made it a bit red by the end of the day.  Didn't get that the second day, when i finagled with fit more... but I also had a collar that day (smartwool quarter zip-up).  Overall, even if I have wear a rugby or collared shirt with it, I'm glad I made the investment.  Far superior to the POC stuff.
Using the TPro Extreme :: Also getting the "Red Neck"Embarrassed 

Just got done with Brighton Park and I'm digging the protection... My wrist is alittle soreShocked  (Damn Bent rails)
Fear is the Mind Killer
crispy5 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2010 at 8:09am

crispy - if you want more coverage, try

bohn shorts. they seem too restrictive.

Damn!  Might as well wear this.

LOL

Hindu Hero View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2010 at 8:44am
i recently effed up my back trying a new trick and landed on a box, i thank you guys for posting these links 
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2010 at 4:20pm
I just ordered up a set of TPro Forcefield Shorts yesterday...
PATKOUG
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by adeodadus

Just got done with Brighton Park and I'm digging the protection... My wrist is alittle soreShocked  (Damn Bent rails)

what protection did you get?
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2010 at 5:16pm

I'm glad that you finally got a good fit. Also glad that I offered some useful advice.

patkoug - another convert?
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2010 at 6:18pm

I'm glad that you finally got a good fit. Also glad that I offered some useful advice.

patkoug - another convert?

I'll have to wait until I've had a chance to try-on the TPro Shorts before I declare/claim conversion...

I still haven't used my POC Spine Vest yet but after wearing it around the house, I think that I'll like it...

What's that Flite Harness thing?  Is it one of these?

PATKOUG
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2010 at 1:41pm

what protection did you get?

Tpro H-extreme..  Will be buying the shorts or pants next : worked for me, wished I had the pants or shorts : rails did a job on my knee (brighton) : 1st set right off Crest Lift
Fear is the Mind Killer
The Danimal View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2010 at 2:04pm
I've been really happy with my Hillbilly dirt gear inpact shorts. They have a nice plate over your tailbode which come in real handy on rails...
09 Fix 152 w/ Cartel EST, 09 Un inc 157 w/ no bindings yet... JJ 09 AK subterfuge camo boots.
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2010 at 4:30pm

Tpro H-extreme..  Will be buying the shorts or pants next : worked for me, wished I had the pants or shorts : rails did a job on my knee (brighton) : 1st set right off Crest Lift

Nice and expensive. Don't use the elbows on your elbows. I use my elbow pads as knee pads. It saves you $60 knee pads at the minor risk of no elbow protection.
inksofmemories View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2010 at 11:02am
i got a pair of these and they saved my butt yesterday!! it doesnt look that bad in person and theyre really comfy! the paddings are really thick.

theyre called triple 8 bumsavers
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 4:24am

Does this mean you didn't dig the RED Total Impact shorts? (the D30 ones?)
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 9:23am
Originally posted by fostpaint

Does this mean you didn't dig the RED Total Impact shorts? (the D30 ones?)

I did and still do like the RED D3Os that I got a little while ago but they are pretty thin.  On X-Mas Day I took a hard fall on my tail-bone from about 10-12 feet up and it made me wonder whether I should be using something with more substantial protection so I decided to order-up the TPro Forcefields early last week for an up-close inspection and to check the fit.

Anyway, the TPros arrived last Friday and I am definitely very impressed with the high-tech shock-absorbing padding but I'm not really diggin' their placement/location.  I think that I'm just gonna send the TPros back and hope that the D3Os will do the trick and--most importantly--just try to be more cautious when riding as pain and injury are great motivators...

PATKOUG
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 10:23am
Could you give a review on the Tpro shorts vs 3DO padding placements ? I'm also thinking of buying the Tpro shorts or pants
Fear is the Mind Killer
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 6:48pm

Could you give a review on the Tpro shorts vs 3DO padding placements ? I'm also thinking of buying the Tpro shorts or pants

Well, I've only used the RED D3Os twice and I've only had the TPros for the last few days or so and have not used them at all because I'm going to return them (unused) tomorrow.

You asked about padding placement/location...

For the REDs:

There are only 3 orange-colored D3O Gel cushions/pads:  the smallest one is for the tailbone and there are two larger ones for the side of each hip.  The other smaller pads that surround the D3O pads are what I'm guessing to be just normal foam padding.  I feel like the D3O Gel cushion for the tailbone is too low by about 2 or 3 inches.  I feel like the D3O hip cushions are also too low by an inch or two.  The hip padding seems about centered/equally-distributed front and back--but I think that it would be better if it covered more of the back than the front--like 2/3 back of the hip coverage and 1/3 front of the hip coverage.

For the TPros:

The TPro padding/cushioning is about twice as thick as that of the RED D3Os and seems to me to be far superior.  I really wanted to like the TPros better but I just did not like the placement/location of the padding.  I felt like the tailbone pad was both too narrow and too low--even lower than on the RED D3Os.  There are two butt cheek pads that are similar in size and shape to the tailbone pad and seem mostly useless because their minimal size and the mostly unpadded surrounding areas.  The side/hip padding is located mostly in the front--about 4/5 in front and about 1/5 wrapped around to the back (of the hips).  There are also some rather large thigh cushions that are located mostly on the top and outside of the quadriceps.  All of the TPro pads are removable for laundering and so that the user/wearer can utilize whichever pads that they like/want to.

I think that I'm gonna stick with the RED D3Os because I feel like they will provide me with a decent amount of protection for their very minimal thickness and bulk.  I like the placement of their padding and that they're very low-profile allowing me to forget that I'm even wearing them.  I would much rather have the TPro shorts due to their (far) superior (high-tech) padding, but while the placement/location of the padding is probably very good for motorcycling-related falls, I don't think that it's very good for snowboarding-related falls.  I guess that something is better than nothing and I'm gonna return these TPro Forcefields for a refund and, for now anyway, keep using these RED D3Os...

Hope I was able to help out.

PATKOUG
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2010 at 10:04pm

Thanks... These pics are the best I've seen of the product.  

Fear is the Mind Killer
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 10:41am
I concur. Very thorough job Patkoug.

And I agree that the tpro shorts are first and foremost a motorcycle impact shorts. If you only could move the huge ass thigh pads to the back or even to cover each butt cheek, then you would have the perfect snowboard pants. In a moto crash, its more important to protect your quads from a frontside impact; whereas, in snowboarding, you're more likely to get it from the back. Also, the thigh pads are so big and flexible that they wrap around the front - quadriceps and partial cover the back side.

I found the tailbone pad to be pretty good upon impacts.

and why does burton have to stingy on the d30?
phredx View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 11:44am
agreed, shexy pics

problem is everyone has different body types, tail bone position etc.

would you consider adding pvc or plastic/rubber 1/2 cm sheet to where you need it the most? like right on the tail bone or hips? i'm guessing you could buy a sheet somewhere and just cut it to fit then sew it in where u need it most.

i'm considering doing that with my triple eight 'bumsaver shorts'
http://www.xsportsprotective.com/triple-eight-bumsaver.html

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/triple-eight-bumsaver.html
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 12:36pm
reds may have good pads, but way too sporadic looking for me. 

I wore my pro-tec hip pads for the first time a few days ago and they did just an o.k. job of lowering the impact when I was practicing switch.  The padding on them is all over the hips and buns, which is good, but they only have 3 size shorts available and the ones that fit me best still felt like I had a diaper hanging off my ass at the end of the dayConfused

...another thing I didn't like was my legs were blue from the dye they used (why'd they dye polyester?)
hhaidar View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 3:08pm
I'm about to pull the trigger on some forcefield gear.  I wear their back protector on the racetrack and love it.  I'm looking at getting either the pants or shorts for snowboarding (it'll get summer use on track as well).  just wondering if the kneepads on the pants would be restrictive for freestyle/park riding.  any thoughts? 
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 3:09pm
I'm wondering the same thing about the TPro pants and knee pads.. 
Fear is the Mind Killer
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by hhaidar

I'm about to pull the trigger on some forcefield gear.  I wear their back protector on the racetrack and love it.  I'm looking at getting either the pants or shorts for snowboarding (it'll get summer use on track as well).  just wondering if the kneepads on the pants would be restrictive for freestyle/park riding.  any thoughts? 

Ask working, I think that he has 2 pairs of the TPro shorts (old 2-layers and new 4-layers) as well as some TPro upper body armor thing whose shoulder pads he uses as knee pads...

Ask working.

PATKOUG
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2010 at 6:05pm
for those of you interested in lower body (legs) for tpro, there's two main options:

1. shorts $150 + knee pads $60

2. pants $180 (100J except 50J on knees) or $215 (100J)

The pants are good because its one piece. They double as thermals so you can cut down on your layers. The Coolmax Active mesh fabric is good enough to wear to cool for summer and provide warmth for winter. I read some people complain that the knee pads sag after a while on a bike. But I have also read others that say it does a pretty good job staying in place especially since you're in the same position riding.

The knee pads are really good. I've been able to take nasty hits on ice at mt high and able to pop right back up, something I couldn't have done with cheapy knee pads. On other crashes, I felt redness and swelling after falls. So they're not miracle pads. Overall, the pads are moderately stiff; yet, they were designed to move, bend, and flex with your natural body movements. I haven't done any tricks. But I feel that the knee pads wouldn't prevent me from doing them.

hhaidar - if you have the back protector, then you might as well as get the lower half, especially on the track. Have you tried the custom inserts for your setup? It might be more comfortable than wearing extra stuff.

phredex - i wouldn't recommend adding pvc. if your rubber is too rigid or sharp, then an impact could cause scraping or penetration into your body. Ouch there are tpro inserts that you could get and sew into your garment. but its pricey. hiprotech is a good inexpensive alternative.

adeodadus - do you have shop nearby to try them out? if not, johnsonleathers is really good about returns.
hhaidar View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2010 at 2:47am
Hey Working,
Thanks for the quick reply...and I will throw in a vote for johnson leathers customer service/support. those guys are outstanding.  Right now I'm trying to put together the best gear for snowboarding, my track gear is good (and pants/shorts will go fine under my race suit).
  My issue w/the pants is i'll be using them strictly for freestyle/park days where you need a TON of mobility.  I'm torn because i'd love the knee protections, esp. on rails, but its pointless if you cant move in it.  any thoughts?  Thanks for being so helpful and anyone else interested, I will say that forcefield's product (own the back protector) blows everything else i've seen out of the water.  I know a lot of guys using it on the racetrack (and crashing w/it) and it does its job.
asapient View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2010 at 2:05am
man its hard to choose decent impact shorts... the good 1 are pricy the cheap 1 are not effective... looking at crash pads.. any1 has any opinion.

Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2010 at 4:57am
It always works out that the day I don't wear some protective gear, I fall on that part of my body.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2010 at 5:08am
I like the Nike Pro stuff that's out but the bball and football gear don't have the foam cell pads in any of the right places for snowboarding (if you're going to wear pads . . . .).  When is Nike 6.0 going to throw down some quality pieces ???
PowderMonkey View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2010 at 9:56am
Try this:
http://www.azzpadz.com/theazzpad/impact2.htm
I know it looks really weird but in my mind it offers the best protection without making your azz look hugeWink
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2010 at 10:30am
^ looks like impact underwear :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>