Topic ClosedTOO tight boots.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Beeni View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOO tight boots.
    Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 6:25am
i have a pair of burton boots that are way too small. i'm normally a size 6, so i got size 6 boots, but it turns out that they're just too tight. they're my first pair of snowboard boots, and i thought that they were supposed to be snug anyway, so i tried disregarding the tightness when i first tried them out thinking that they'll be stretched out after a season of wearing them. but they're still tight as ever, and my toes don't get any circulation after 30 minutes of boarding. it's not that they're small, it's just super tight directly on top of my toes. and no, i do not have abnormally fat toes. haha.

people suggested heat moulding, but i'm wondering if i have any other option.

any suggestions that you guys can offer?? :D
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 6:48am
you can try heat molding, but if your feet are hurting after just 30 minutes, it probably won't be enough. In my mind you have two options, your either sell them right now or you will have to modify your liners. If your toes don't have enough room, your feet are never going to be comfortable. So is there pressure from the top that hurts your feet, or are your toes pressed against the end of your liner and so it makes your toes scrunch up?
CheckOnTrips View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 6:49am
Cut off your toes? All kidding aside, you should buy some boots that fit. Dont order them off the internet, go to a sporting goods store so you can try them on first. Brands all fit differently.
Beeni View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 7:00am
Originally posted by idshredhead

you can try heat molding, but if your feet are hurting after just 30 minutes, it probably won't be enough. In my mind you have two options, your either sell them right now or you will have to modify your liners. If your toes don't have enough room, your feet are never going to be comfortable. So is there pressure from the top that hurts your feet, or are your toes pressed against the end of your liner and so it makes your toes scrunch up?

it's not that the shoe size itself is small, it's just that there is lots of pressure pressing down on the tops of my toes. my toes don't scrunch up.. just super tight on top of them. :/

there's not much i can do, huh?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 7:22am

Well, your bindings could also be playing a role, if your toe strap is super tight it could make a difference by putting pressure on the top of your toes.  But like Check said, your best option is to find a pair that fits, try on a bunch of boots from various brands at a snowboard shop(s) that you can trust. A good rule of thumb is to have your toes just barely touch the end of your liners, but just know that if you have pressure points when you try them on, those probably won't go away. If you are adventurous and don't want to give up on these boots yet you could determine the exact point of the problem and modify your boot and/or liner. Sometimes even just a lower profile foot bed is enough, but stock footbeds aren't much to begin with. you could try taking your footbeds out, which may cause problems in other areas(arch support etc) but it would give you an idea if that is enough room to get rid of the problem.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 7:27am
also........... try riding with your boots nice n loose..... see if it helps
kmorrison View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sierra @ Tahoe!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 7:33am
Telling someone to ride with their boots nice and loose is perhaps the worst advice to give...basically you're telling them to not support their ankles at all. The purpose of having your boots so tight is to provide stability.

As people have already said, you never buy boots online. Every company has a different foot print...some run larger and some run smaller. For example, I generally have a size 10 1/2 or 11 shoe...I ride 32 boots and am in a 9.5.

In reference to the heat molding, you could do that but if you're saying that they're WAY too small, then chances are that won't help your problem at all. Also, not every boot will respond properly to heat molding. Don't try riding with the boots because all you're going to do is cause yourself more pain, discomfort, and possibly even serious injury.

If I were you and already rode the boots, I'd cut my loses...sell the boots...and buy new ones after having tried on a variety from a local shop. If you haven't ridden them, I'd return them and do the same.
Days: 38
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 7:46am
How many times have you used them?  And what boots are they?  Some boots break in more than others, and some break in hardly at all.  And if you've only used them once, probably wouldn't worry about it.

Heat molding with toe caps may help.  If it's still too much and you don't want to buy a new pair of boots (and the boot fits well everywhere else) you can shave off some material with a dremel tool.  I've never done this myself, but I've heard of others doing it.  For that, I would probably take it to a boot fitter who knows what he's doing.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 8:38am
Originally posted by kmorrison

Telling someone to ride with their boots nice and loose is perhaps the worst advice to give...basically you're telling them to not support their ankles at all. The purpose of having your boots so tight is to provide stability.

true, let me rephrase that. Sometimes people tighten their boots so tight that they have no hope of having proper circulation, by loosening their boots somewhat, it helps relieve unneccessary pain and discomfort.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2009 at 8:42am
Shredhead is correct.  If boots fit correctly you shouldn't have to tighten to the point of cutting off circulation.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
snowdan View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2010 at 7:34am
if boots are old enough te have no actual resale value, get the liners out, turn them inside out, shave off foam from the critical area. that goes for all more or less recent foam liners.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2010 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by idshredhead

Originally posted by kmorrison

true, let me rephrase that. Sometimes people tighten their boots so tight that they have no hope of having proper circulation, by loosening their boots somewhat, it helps relieve unneccessary pain and discomfort.

or loosen the laces around the toe??
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2010 at 1:54pm
if the boots are not to short, I would try heat molding and perhaps a different insole. try to find a thinner insole then what is in there, this would also put your foot in the best position and that would give you more room. the other culprit would be toe straps on bindings can pinch, I use burtons with the capstrap and they work well holding the boot down and back without pinching the toes. 
sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 4:45am
how does heat molding work? i just ordered boots and i think it might be a little tight, but it was the last size any site had.. so i ordered it anyway
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 4:53am
to properly, yes properly, heat mold boots you should go to a shop that heat molds boots...although there are other ways to heat mold boots, it happens naturally through the heat of your feet, but it takes awhile.
etsui View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 9:32pm
try loosening up the inner liner of the boots.
that helped me from getting numb toes.
Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 4:22pm
The answer is Mechanical Stretching. Sport Chalet did mine for $5/boot I think and the results weren't bad. It's my understanding that they can expand the size up to about half a size with this procedure depending on the boot.

It's only a few bucks and worth a try. They're precise enough to stretch to accommodate only your big toe if necessary.
When in doubt eat trout.
monky822 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 12:50pm
I'm kinda in the same boat, but wondering how snug is too snug for boots. I recently purchased some boots size 9 from this site and they fit a little more snug than a pair of cheaper size 9 boots i own.

How snug should my boot fit?
rsbminn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 4:56am
My first pair were 32 lashed..they were a good fit but the heel was lose..it really hurt my foot goin toe side
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 5:16am
I think you can put a toe cap over your toes while heat molding. That will give you more room for your toes. Also your bindings play a large role in this if your toe strap creates pressure points.
vtplm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 6:37am
anyone know if 32 will give individuals the toe caps?  i want to wear mine with them inside to stretch out my boots, but not heat mold them.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 6:41am
Originally posted by vtplm

anyone know if 32 will give individuals the toe caps?  i want to wear mine with them inside to stretch out my boots, but not heat mold them.
Call them.  Sure they have info on the website.  Not sure if they will, but never hurts to ask.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
mdcskate22 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Tree Rail!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 6:45am
I like the toe caps
kramiih View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 4:42pm
sell em and buy another pair
aguninc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 4:50pm
wear them around the house with a few pairs of socks on. it may help pack them out
kimmidollz` View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2010 at 7:49pm
Heat moulding will help a little bit. Expands the liner so u have a little more space. I used to get numb toes and would sit in the snow with my boot off. Not a great look. Lol
Brandysl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:54pm
Try to use light Weight Socks
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2010 at 10:20am
if theyre only tight on top of your toes, the answer is NOT to get bigger boots, its to get boots that fit right.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 9:57am
ya sounds more like the cut/fit of the boot is wrong not the size :(

need to find a model/brand that suits your foot shape.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 9:57am
sell them and buy something that fits.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
TROLL View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 1:15pm
what about if I had a boot that wasjust half a centimeter shorton one foot. Is there any way of making it bigger?
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 1:25pm
I read that burton boots run small. I'm in a similar predicament being a size 12 finding size 12 1/2 13 is rough
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 1:33pm
dont trust what you read, go try them on.

if you were to ask me, i would say they run "average" or even slightly longer.  im a 9 in most boots but im an 8.5 in burton and nike.  my point isnt that you should buy a certain size, its that there are conflicting "reviews" and personal experiences for every product, so you have to figure out how it is for you.
Ash85 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2010 at 8:46pm
I had this exact same problem in my Burton Emeralds this past season. They were squashing my toes from the top of the boot down and cut off circulation quickly. I ended up with cold white toes at lunchtime. I think it was because the tongue in the boots is very thickly padded and really curved over the toe area (think like an elf boot shape). Also got a lot of heel lift. My plan is to get properly fitted for new boots when the season starts to die off. So I would recommend either trying heat moulding if you want to try to salvage the boots you have, or going for another fit.
blackball321 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 3:01pm
how about a little too big.
I normally wear a size 10 shoe but found out a size 10 burton freestyle is too snug for me; so i bought a 10.5. later after i break in my boot i felt there are some room on my left foot toe. my right foot is fine because it is slightly bigger than my left foot. any idea i can fix it?? maybe a new footbed can help me?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2010 at 3:06pm
shoe size is not boot size.  when you say too snug, what do you mean?  way too tight in general, or toes curled at the end, or you could "feel" the end with your toes (youre supposed to be able to), etc..

best thing to do is find a knowledgeable shop and let them help you.
natashab12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2010 at 7:47am
Before buying new boots try to find a local store that will allow you to test the boot. There are burton test centers all over just check on the website for one near you, i'm sure some of the other manufacturers do the same. At least you can get a chance to try the boot with your whole set up and with how you ride. Much better that simply walking around the store. Good luck finding a good fit for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply