African Americans snowboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
madog14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote madog14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African Americans snowboarding
    Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 11:27am
I have been snowboarding for a couple of years now. I've always noticed when I am shredding I never see any African Americans snowboarding. I was just wondering do they ski or snowboard. Also are there any famouse snowboarders or skiiers out there that are African American
shred like no tommorow
sdf91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdf91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 11:34am
stevie bell
keir dillon
peterjast View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote peterjast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 11:35am
i don't wanna sound racist, but it truly is pretty rare. i've seen like 10 ever. one day there was a group of about 5 and they were turning heads. people were awestruck.
cwsmith3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cwsmith3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 11:38am
Stevie is the shit! That man is way funny and rides super hard!
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 11:50am
I ride with a black Irishman names Shamus White.  Good friend for a lot of years. 

-zakk

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 12:20pm
um...giftedhands, shakazulu, etc, etc
Dooley View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 12:35pm
but it is true, you dont see a lot of black snowboarders. 
Burton Elite 158 (2008) || Burton Missons (2008) || GNU Park Pickle 153 (2010) || Forum TK Destroyer (2009) || Union Force SL (2009)
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Piranha

um...giftedhands, shakazulu, etc, etc

What an exhaustive list you've put together Tongue

Knowing gifted and shaka, they both love to ride and more importantly they can both AFFORD to ride.  Sadly, that's probably not the case for many black Americans.  I don't think it's controversial to say that people on the mountain are predominantly lower-middle-to-upper-class folk.  Nor is it controversial to say there is a deep economic and educational divide between the blacks as a whole versus the whites as a whole.

Part of it's also probably cultural and/or social.  Many of us get into snowboarding because friends got into it first.  If you don't have a friend to take you or get you into it, it's unlikely you'll go up on your own to try it out.

And, perhaps most importantly: you live in shtooking Indiana, one of the honkier states in the Union...
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 12:51pm
my first time, I went with a mexican american...teachers make better money than they complain about

I've seen a few african americans at my home spot...but i'd say maybe four in the three years I've been going thereConfused.  One of the guys is local and rides solo and frequently, older guy (gray hair), skier.
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 12:52pm

my first time, I went with a mexican american...teachers make better money than they complain about

I've seen a few african americans at my home spot...but i'd say maybe four in the three years I've been going thereConfused.  One of the guys is local and rides frequently, but he's an older guy (gray hair), skier.

Think about that.  Four in three years... as opposed to how many white people?  As compared to their prevalence in the general population?
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 12:56pm
giftedhands, shakazulu...and Shamus White

anyway, yeah, until you get introduced to it, snowboarding isn't the kind of thing you're going to seek out.  Once, you get it (hooked), you make the effort to get up the money to purse the sport...at least that's what happened with me
Moto View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Moto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 1:10pm
I hear its pretty hard to snowboard in the congo.
movin my hips like yeahhh
lizzard02 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote lizzard02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:05pm
i know 2. and have so far seen about 50

i can say, it was pretty funky to see... since usually, like my friends, some people just aren't into the snow.
OBAMA - ONE BIG ASS MISTAKE AMERICA
chrisc75 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote chrisc75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:09pm
i seen a few kill it and also have been seeing groups
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:26pm
...and you also have to live within a decent distance from a resort...unless you want to shell out even more for hotel rooms. 

I have a 2 hour drive, each way (4 hrs total)...I don't know if I could drive any more for a one day trip, on a consistent basis 
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:33pm

...and you also have to live within a decent distance from a resort...unless you want to shell out even more for hotel rooms. 

I have a 2 hour drive, each way (4 hrs total)...I don't know if I could drive any more for a one day trip, on a consistent basis 

I put up close to 30 days last year with on average a 3.5 hours drive (and as much as 4+).  I don't think I put in more than two overnight trips last season either.

If you love it, you'll do what it takes. Trust me.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Quote MiguelMas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:36pm
Sierra Summit from Fresno?

I enjoy the pics you poast from there Piranha.
I grew up riding there in the late 80's.
I could make that trek in a lil over an hour.
Not safely of course........
rocheezy View Drop Down
Local
Local
Ready for the 2010 season!

Quote rocheezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:38pm
This thread is ridiculous. Black people don't snowboard.
chips2853 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chips2853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:46pm
last year I saw a group of brothers, no not slang or racism, but actual brothers in blood, shredding pretty hard.  There were 4 of them and two had heros, one had a fix the other had an X8.  I talked to two of them and they were really cool, knew alot about boarding and such.  Their brothers were two lifts ahead and as soon as they got off the lift they were doing a shit ton of ground tricks.  I was really impressed.  I saw one of them this past weekend, now rocking the new hero, and I guess his brothers were there and a couple cousins who ended up starting at the end of last year.  So there are some out there for sure.  My room mate is African and snowboards.  Actual African, not Af American.  Hes not great but he still loves it lol
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by MiguelMas

Sierra Summit from Fresno?

I enjoy the pics you poast from there Piranha.
I grew up riding there in the late 80's.
I could make that trek in a lil over an hour.
Not safely of course........
ha, funny you should mention...I'm like the little old lady on that road (especially ever since I almost skidded off a cliff last year). 

I'm "that guy" that keeps his chains on a little longer than he should and, even without chains, I go relatively slow (get beeped at a lot, too).  My slower speed (and frequently letting people around me at the turnouts) definitely bumps up my commute time. 

...speaking of chains, it took me forever to get them on yesterday (first time of the season it was bad enough to need them at "cressman's") - added about 20 minutes to my commuteAngry
chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chubbyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2009 at 2:53pm
Ive seen this one guy all over tahoe and im sure people know him, he has dreads and he works at boreal so thats where he spends most of his time. He looks kind of like bob marley and he rips it in the park pretty hard, i see him pretty much every time i go to boreal.
tp1_kenobi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Top of the Volcano, New Zealand

Quote tp1_kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2010 at 3:11pm
Funny thread.  Got a few black buddies of mine that live in Chicago when I was in the States and throwing out being PC, a decent number of them don't like the cold and we'd always give sh!t to each other.  Had a few that tried it out, they liked it but opted the basketball court. LOL

I'd always joke around "Hey you can't use your Timberlands as snowboard boots dude!"
Buckshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:19am
Well this is so wrong but I gotta share it:

We have made a game out of spotting black people. Its real simple, when you see one all you yell is 'Point!'. A friend must hear and verify it. The one with the most points at the end of the day/weekend/trip wins. Looser buys the first round. Really its just a way of letting your friends know that you spotted a black person without everyone else knowing.

So wrongShocked but so funLOL

Burton Custom X C02 EST '09 | Burton Hero ICS Infidel (Regs) '10
jayeasy619 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jayeasy619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:25am
Yo if you guys know what your putting in these threads is racist or even remotely shtooked up, just dont even post it. There aint room for that shit here. Anyway, Montel Williams is a snowboarder, and gets in about 100 days a year. Check out the article from USATODAY:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlighthealth/2004-02-13-montel_x.htm
Gigglinpig View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gigglinpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:36am
I see quite a few at the resorts here in NM. Well, usually spot a couple a day. But I do have 2 African American friends that are better boarders than me ( my first season ), so they do snowboard. 

I guess it's just the culture you are brought up in, and for some people/cultures snowboarding is the last sport on your mind to try. For example, I am from South Asia, and when I moved over here 10 years ago snowboarding or anything related to snow was a turn-off. I wanted year long warm weather and water sports, but my friends finally got me to start going boarding this year, and I have been snowboarding more times this year than any of my friends. 
casE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote casE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:38am
really dont see many on the slopes but so what? no like you're gonna see many white folks in the NBA
prinz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote prinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:44am
I don't see very many African American boarders, except the time when there was a big church group ...I also don't see very many Indians (I'm one) boadring..I see more of my kind in skiing :)
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mkee19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:47am
Ah...this thread hits home.  I've been 5 times last year and I've noticed about 10 of us MAX.  I might be being generous.  Most blacks grow up with the mentality that some sports are for "white" people.  I grew up in Miami and know that when I tell friends back home that I snowboarded..they think I'm crazy.  Yes, most blacks..especially from the south dont do cold weather either.  When I go, I stick out like a sore thumb, black guy, dreads...bright yellow Volcom suit.  I dont care who looks at me...I'm there to have fun.  All the lift operators chit chat with me when I ride back up and are cool with me.  One guy the second time I went was like, man you gettin alot better from last week.  I think they enjoy the diversity.  Too bad lots of blacks are closed minded about winter sports.  I'm just an athlete and want to do anything thats fun.  I get along with anyone of any race and it dont matter, my parents raised me that way.  The last time I went this year..I seen no other black person...and to top it off, I was riding solo....talk about a looooooooonely feelin..lmao.  I still had a blast, the lifty kept me company whenever I got back to the bottom..haha
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:49am
I'm black and love the sport with a passion. I'm going to agree with Gigglinpig for the most part though. Most black youth or inner city youth in general don't have the opportunity to experience snowboarding. There's little exposure to it so the desire to get into it just isn't there. We all know how expensive it is to snowboard and many people who fall within lower socioeconomic status wouldn't dream of it. I grew up playing basketball on a milk crate tacked up to phone post in the street and never was exposed to the idea of snowboarding until about 5 years ago.
moku26 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
shreeeed

Quote moku26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:52am
i went up to the mt yesterday and saw an african american snowboarding. and when i was eating lunch i saw him going to his car and switching to snowboarding. btw what kind of racist question is this? you probably live in an area where white population dominate. 
mo ku
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mkee19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by moku26

i went up to the mt yesterday and saw an african american snowboarding. and when i was eating lunch i saw him going to his car and switching to snowboarding. btw what kind of racist question is this? you probably live in an area where white population dominate. 

Actually I dont think its a racist question.  I think its a good one b/c its true.  I can accept some who IS ignorant or less educated about a culture, rather than someone who ACTS ignorant.  There's a big difference IMO.  Agreed with JayX, but see the one thing about us is that we will be quick to drop a couple thousand on some rims and music for a car, but wont think about using it for other recreation..lol.
Chef Pollo D View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Chef Pollo D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 10:41am
HAHAHA i was about to post my boy jayx is black and rides hard.  Jay you beat me to it.  I grew up in the city and didn't really know about winter sports until high school and I'm asian.  I was never exposed to hockey or snowboarding/skiing.  It's the same reason why certain americans hate foreign cuisines.  If you're not exposed to it you just don't like it.  They're just missing out is all.
CMH-26 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote CMH-26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 10:42am
I see one every time I go riding.  I just look at myself...
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Quote jgoodwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 10:52am
Does it really matter? I think not. How about we say how many caucasians do we see on the mountain and play a game called "point". Don't get me wrong I'm not mad or anything, I love seeing my people on the mountain, we always say what's up and sometimes converse and ride together.
2010 Ride Yukon - 2010 Sierra Stunt - 2010 Cartels - 2010 Antennas
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:13am
i think generally, there are more white people who live close to or around places with snow. so you're just going to see more white people up there. the percentage of black people who live in the south is also higher, and there are no mountains in the south. if there were ski resorts in mississippe, you'd see a bunch of black people.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:18am
Apparently Montel is a snowboarder as well and he wants to talk safety with you
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlighthealth/2004-02-13-montel_x.htm
lizzard02 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote lizzard02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:22am
a guy came up to me and gave me the line "i bet i'm the first black snowboarder you've ever met."

i laughed at him.

i've met quite a few actually. yea, it's a rarity, but more and more of them are getting into it. and also, a majority of them don't like cold weather.

i've seen both skiers and snowboarders. also, i think people don't pay that much attention so they don't look for em.

oh, and um... what's his name from gangsta's paradise is a snowboarder too.
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NGremlin! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Buckshot

Well this is so wrong but I gotta share it:

We have made a game out of spotting black people. Its real simple, when you see one all you yell is 'Point!'. A friend must hear and verify it. The one with the most points at the end of the day/weekend/trip wins. Looser buys the first round. Really its just a way of letting your friends know that you spotted a black person without everyone else knowing.

So wrongShocked but so funLOL

Really? That's funny, because I play the same game. 

Except, instead of at the mountain, I play in my car. And instead of black people, I play with Volkswagen Beetles. And instead of saying "Point!", I say "Punch Buggy!" and then I punch the person who is sitting next to me in the car. Loser has the sorest arm.

It's pretty fun.

As for black people snowboarding. I've seen them. I've seen other kinds of people snowboarding too. The ones that truly make me stop and stare are the 6-year-olds zooming down the mountain and doing tricks. The reason I stop and stare is because I am trying to get out of their way! Don't want to get run over. Little kids have no mercy!
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLEE1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:31am
This thread should turn to why are so many ASIANS riding lately.
I swear each year asian riders double in number each year for past 4-5 years or so..
damn those asian kids.. and about black people I always thought its just matter of getting introduced to snowboarding, I don't think alot of black people have friends or have the opportunity of someone to introduce them to get started, so basically it's matter of having friends or someone that rides for them to get started and less about what race someone is.
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:31am
I hate seeing black people on the mountain.  Now its only a matter of time until they take over the slopes and the parks with their natural athletic talent.  Damn you!!!!   Wink

Eh, whatever.  If you're out there to have fun, welcome.  Glad to have you no matter what you look like.

And yes, little kids out there are crazy.  As soon as they learn how to stand up they'll bomb down the mountain at full speed.  No turns.  No fear.  Makes me a little depressed how quickly they pick stuff up.

snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Quote snow4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:35am
i only know one black guy on my mountain and he has a brand new 2010 custom x. thats how i met him. i was looking at his board and hes like " sweet board right brotha?" hes pretty dirty too.
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
jman91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 11:37am
only seen some that ski
If you are interested in buying a mount snow season pass PM me. I am representing mount snow and selling the season passes for $275. Thats $25 savings plus more great opportunities
Katsu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Katsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:11pm
To be honest I have never really thought about it until I read this topic.  The last time I saw an african on snow was at least a year ago at mountian high. I wonder why so few take to snow sports?
mitch84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mitch84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:20pm
Haha, It's funny you guys came up with that - I'm black and I started snowboarding in January 09 - love it; I'm originally from the caribbean.
I do realize that when I'm at the mountain some people look at me with a weird faceBig smile. I find it funny.

clintoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
snoooooooooop

Quote clintoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:21pm
HEYYYYYYY check out my crew i have an african american that snowboards, lol. I find this topic funny but it is true. I do see alot more in the east coast specially around PA. It really depends where they grew up at and the friends they hang with and GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY, MY CREW consist of 2-3 whiteys THIS TIME THEY ARE the MINORITY. Most of my crew is a mixture of spanish and asian and then the TOKEN black guy. LMFAO
ALL DAY EVERYDAY
mitch84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mitch84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by mitch84

Haha, It's funny you guys came up with that - I'm black and I started snowboarding in January 09 - love it; I'm originally from the caribbean.
I do realize that when I'm at the mountain some people look at me with a weird faceBig smile. I find it funny.

I was introduced to snowboarding by some asian friends
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:24pm
It's a rarity to see black people on the slopes.  I asked this black guy how come black people are scared of water sports and winter sports and he said it's just pointless and would rather not die yet.
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote pimpasaurus JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:26pm
I'd like to see more of a diverse community on the mountain.  But I know when more black guys get into the sport... they're probably gonna get pretty good at it and dominate the competition.  i.e. basketball, football, golf, etc.
incompetentuser View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote incompetentuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:30pm
I don't use any. I'd really like to at least get a helmet but it's almost impossible to get a good deal on a Medium sized helmet. Anyone know of any good helmet sales?
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by incompetentuser

I don't use any. I'd really like to at least get a helmet but it's almost impossible to get a good deal on a Medium sized helmet. Anyone know of any good helmet sales?

huh?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>