Any Tips for tree riding-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mando916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mando916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Tips for tree riding-
    Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 6:47am
Anyone have any good tips for riding in between Trees ? I am good on riding blue and green runs, and have been adventuring out more and more in between trees at my resort. I have been going on small jumps and such, but  just cant feel comfortable  making those quick turns in between the trees to get to those jumps. Any suggestion on how i should approach it or any ways to practice would be appreciated. ThanksSmile.
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 7:00am
wow, I'm exactly the same, been venturing into the trees a bit the past few times going and goin off little jumps, but when its steepish and powder, I can't seem to get my back leg movin around enough to turn quick enough so I just fall over. I'd appreciate some tips as well for next weekend...

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 7:21am
Remember in the Matrix when the little kid says ''There is no spoon''? 

Ride the tree's as if there are no tree's, don't look at them at all.  Look at the patch of snow you want to hit and focus on that only.  Also, look several turns ahead, as you can see a general line start to develop further ahead, your riding will be come much more relaxed.  Instead of ''avoiding'' tree's, you will then be actually ''riding'' them.

Its tough, but 90% of people I see having trouble in tree's are really tensed up and staring directly at every tree that pops up in front of them.  Just like on groomers, you will go exactly where you focus your attention at.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 7:49am
When you fall down in an awkward position, don't exhaust all of your energy to try to work yourself out right away. Stop, think about it and act. sometimes getting yourself straightened out can take up a lot of energy. If you are getting tired, get out of the woods. Also, bring a whistle.
808Grown View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote 808Grown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 7:51am
Don't hit the trees.

Otherwise, take stops every so often. Look at the line ahead, plan it out before you go because there isn't much room for any margin of error. You don't have much room to stop or turn so everything has to be precise. And remember, be careful. Snowboarding isn't fun if you get hurt or have a branch in your eye.
XxTRCxX View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Me

Quote XxTRCxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 8:11am
Safety first. Always ensure someone knows where you are in case something happens. Take all precautions you can in order to make sure you can be found in CASE something happens.

I think the best advice has already been given. Just snowboard as if no tree's exist, and just clear your mind. Listening to music can help relax you. How are your bindings setup? You may need to mess with your stance depth and width to help you with those turns. Try not to make a HUGE change, but small changes can help. Of course, the more you snowboard in those conditions, they better you will get. Muscle memory is a blessing!
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 10:06am
Yeah all good tips, I guess it's just whippin my back leg around in powder and steep areas I just wash out or something....I know about the whole don't look at the trees bit, I guess I just need to work on kickin my back leg out quicker in steeper areas...It's the chopping powder/steep areas that get me

kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 10:19am
Fantastic advice in this thread so far.  Shaka pretty much hit it right on the nose: don't focus on the trees, plan at least a turn or two ahead, and do not tense up.  Much like other types of riding, you're going to be the most effective when you're loose.  I'd also agree with 808 to take breaks every so often (I'd say I take them every 15-20 seconds) just to give yourself a mental break and to take a moment to spot your next line.

This is especially important if you're just starting out, but RIDE WITH A BUDDY in the trees and keep each other in sight.  Watch out out for tree wells if it snowed recently (which it probably has if the snow is decent in the trees).  Watch out especially for low-hanging firs.  Anyone who's fallen or almost fallen into those things can tell you that they're no joke.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Duneluder

Yeah all good tips, I guess it's just whippin my back leg around in powder and steep areas I just wash out or something....I know about the whole don't look at the trees bit, I guess I just need to work on kickin my back leg out quicker in steeper areas...It's the chopping powder/steep areas that get me

Do you have all your weight back while you are trying to move the tail around?  You might need to move your center of balance during turns for easier and quicker turn initiation in powder. 

Just a random thought.
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowSurfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 2:22pm
look where you want to go, not where you don't! trees are easiest in powder not the crud. practice riding down the sides of runs in and out of the trees. wear a helmet to protect your head.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 2:30pm
STAY OUT OF THE TREES! the trees are dark dangerous spooky scary places. Monsters live in the woods! The Park is way more fun, hang out there all day!...but if you must...practice in the moguls, watch out for dead falls,use your hands to protect your head, and to reiterate...wear a helmet.
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by shakazulu12

Originally posted by Duneluder

Do you have all your weight back while you are trying to move the tail around?  You might need to move your center of balance during turns for easier and quicker turn initiation in powder. 

Just a random thought.

Yeah I think that's what it is, I guess I just don't want to nose dive in the powder, Gonna try not leaning back so far next weekend.

K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 3:26pm
The biggest thing for me is to spot your line so that you're always planning ahead.

#2 - people tend to follow someone else's path through the trees.  Don't feel like you need to stay in their line.  In fact, that's usually where I get launched in the direction of a tree if I'm going at a good pace.  It's much harder to stay in someone else's line than to cut your own.
johnbron65 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
nosegrab

Quote johnbron65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2010 at 3:32pm
Just go slow the first time, stop alot and check where you want to go. Find an area where the trees are a bit more spread apart and it isnt too flat.
venom59718 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote venom59718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:13pm
I would say stay on the back of your board, its definately faster edge to edge when you can pivot your weight over your tail and usually where I am trees equal pow so tail helps as well as speed and definately look around to plan out your line a good 5 seconds before you make it to a point
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:38pm
Keep your speed under control. No point charging if youre slamming the breaks on every time you find a bit of a tricky path. Dont extend yourself way beyond your level. L+1 and all that. Wear a helmet (spectacularly hypocritical advice all round so far from me by the way). Also, it tends to be deeper, so sometimes you need to be way more aggressive on your turns. I found myself having to really slam in that back foot to make some springy turns. Its kinda the opposite of what you do on the groomers, so it feels a little lacking in finesse, but youll get a feel for it. However, dunno if thats a universal tip, or if it was just me screwing up my technique so i could ride it. Either way, steeper plus deeper just felt like you needed to be a bit more shamelessly aggressive in your turns.

basically, last year i was doing the same thing as you, kinda flirting with trees, popping in and out and never going too far in case i got stuck (or hit a tree), this year i just rode them, and it really is very much an aspect thing. For no real reason at all, one day youll just stop seeing the trees and start seeing the line youre riding and when that happens the spaces and gaps just seem WAAAAAAY bigger :) Like everything, go at a pace that wont give you an injury and youll gradually get more comfortable with it. The more you ride it, the more the lines become a bit more obvious to see. Thats pretty much it. Also, dont be a hero, you dont have to amaze anyone, its fekking dangerous enough in there already

So speaks the voice of an unashamed and uninjured chickenshit :)
m00m
airjesse123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote airjesse123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:44pm
Quiver: 08 UnInc 160 w/ 09 Cartel EST, 010 Charlie Slasher 164 w/ 09 White Union Forces
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 9:08am
^^^ haha  nice...

2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 9:20am
smoke a tree and don't hit a tree
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 9:28am
hehe, just kidding.
maybe try to adjust your bindings and/or stance a little bit to find a more aggressive setting.
For me, if my back foot is at a lesser angle (closer to 0 degree), this add aggressiveness making transitions a lot more easier and controllable b/c your heel and toe is more directly pressing/ transferring power on the edge or the board. And set back your stance a tad so there's less tail to move, plus making the tail a little stiff for better faster responds and transition. 
If that's already done/ tried, start off slow, if you start to go faster then you like, just stop and take a sec and go again. It takes some practice. I personally came to a few very close calls (damn icy days). A good practice run is go to the bunny hill on a really crowded day and try not to hit anyone. At least this way, you'll run into something softer (a noob) than a tree if you do run into something. LOL.
Have fun!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 10:17am
sierra nevada mtns have some of the most spaced out trees you're gonna find.  If you don't feel comfortable in our trees, you might want to work on your control a little more before going back in there....or, you can just do it anyhow and go slow (but, like snowsurfr said, if it's old crusty snow, don't even bother...set up your park board and shred groomers)

doing jumps and drops in the trees is one of the most dangerous things you can do...you should skip that until confidence in your control is there

focus is key (in trees or out).  You should know what you're going to do before you get there...if that means stopping to think (or letting your buddy scope out the obscured landing/transition), then stop

chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 10:18am
funny 2zz.

i think bunny hills are the ultimate challenge. i would say practicing in the trees to get used to runs. once you get good at that... you can move to the bunny hills for moving trees (noobs)!!
airjesse123 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote airjesse123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by chenmt

funny 2zz.

i think bunny hills are the ultimate challenge. i would say practicing in the trees to get used to runs. once you get good at that... you can move to the bunny hills for moving trees (noobs)!!

I love the bowling alley!
Quiver: 08 UnInc 160 w/ 09 Cartel EST, 010 Charlie Slasher 164 w/ 09 White Union Forces
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Skoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 8:20pm
Best advice (imo) when riding in trees is DONT RUSH. Sometimes, if your in a heavily forested area, you can just keep turning all you want and there is still another tree 3 feet in front of you. If this occurs, take an opportunity to stop safely, your brain can get overwhelmed and "short circuit" ultimately resulting in either you learn what it mean to be a tree hugger or you get lost in a white, frozen, cold underworld which maybe snow, or Dante's 9th Circle of Hell.
Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gester87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 8:34pm
Avoid the trees
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rishihb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 10:36pm
In my experience, if I stand up too tall, I seem to have a harder time avoiding trees. If I get low, I can maneuver a lot better and tree riding becomes a lot easier.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 8:59am
from my experience..
you have to be comfortable with alot of bumps.. up and down motion alot
board_to_death View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote board_to_death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 3:10pm
Great strategy ideas for tree lines ... a couple tips for the actual mechanics of the turn -- a low edge angle, dynamic skidded turn (for all the AASI nerds from another AASI nerd).

1. Bow ties -- Good call on keeping the tail moving, but better to try to keep the front knee moving as well.  Try this, on a green/blue flat, try pointing the nose down the hill and try to pivot the back leg one way while the front knee moves the other way on a flat board.  Your board should be making a bow tie shape in the snow with tip and tail moving, again on a flat board.   

When you pick up speed (and you will), add light amounts of ankle flex to bring the edge up.  Add more as the speed picks up but don't jam the edge.  Think as delicate as possible. See how you quickly you can make those short radius turns.  Voila! that is the turn you can take in to the woods.

Why do you want to do this? Well, instead of just whipping the tail around, you are getting the whole board working for more control and precision.  (and hell you paid for the whole board, might as well use the whole thing, not just the tail!)

2.  Be in the middle -- You want your center of mass in the middle as much as possible during these moves.  Reason why is two fold:

1) the axis by which those bow tie turns work is right down the middle of your body, 

2) that you want to leave yourself options to move in any direction in a place like trees.  What if you needed to make a big move to the tail for a skid/stop.  If you are already back there you have nowhere to go and you will eat pine.

3.  Better to ride in 3's not 2 -- One gets hurt, one can stay , one can get help. That's the ideal.

Have fun in there.  Be safe!
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 3:21pm
eyes, spot the trail ahead, relax, and take breaks, dont get exhausted, because that leads to mistakes and you dont want to make mistakes in the trees, and it is usually good policy to ride with a buddy.
Jinsgin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jinsgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2010 at 8:54pm
Umm.. practice the turns.. without the trees? It seems obvious but nobody has mentioned it. Just practice making quick turns edge to edge on normal groomers, or use moguls and practice riding around them to simulate trees
 Post Reply Post Reply