0 Staff | 11 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 403,955 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Travel, Resorts & Regional Riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedAussie trying to get a job. (Next Season)

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie trying to get a job. (Next Season)
    Posted: Feb/12/2010 at 10:00pm
Hi all,

I have decided that at the end of the current year (around November). I will try and get a job at one of the resorts up in North America. I have a few questions I would like to ask:

1.) Canada or USA?

2.) From the above, which would be an easier place to get a job?

3.) Continuing on, what are the living costs like, as I will be on a fairly low budget.

I would love to be an instructor, but realise that it is a pretty low paying job, so I may need a second form of income? Does anyone have some previous experiences that could help me? As everyone would love, I would love a job which could get me enough cash and get me some maximum time on the slopes. 

Cheers, Ollie!
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 7:10am
1. Canada or USA? They are so different. It is like comparing apples with crab-apples.
That is actually kinda up to you. There are some GREAT ski resorts in both countries, so as long as you stay on the west coast, it would be hard to go wrong with either.

2. For an Aussie, defiantly Canada. In Canada, people from Oz can participate in the Working Holiday Program. The requirements for this program are:

- Hold an Australian passport that is valid for the entire length of your stay in Canada.
- Be between 18-30 years of age.
- Be criminally and medically admissible.

If you want to work in the US, you really only have two options. They are the J-1 Visa and H2B Visa.

J-1 VISAS (students)
This is for temporary work in the United States, the most popular visa secured by students is a "cultural exchange" Visa (J-1) that permits you to work for a period of 4 months, and allows for 1 month of travel on the end (total of 5 months). In order to be eligible for a J-1 Visa you must currently be a student between the ages of 19 and 30, and must be a full-time student for at least one semester of the same year that you are applying for, or have deferred status.
To get this visa you have to go through a company that sponsors them, NOT the ski resort you want to work at.
There is a company, CCUSA, that is sponsoring a 12-month J1 visa to citizens of Australia and New Zealand for some ski resorts. Check out www.ccusa.com for info on that program.

H-2B VISAS (non-student)
The H-2B visas each season for certain specialized jobs. The H-2B nonimmigrant program permits employers to hire foreign workers to come to the U.S. and perform temporary nonagricultural work, for the entire winter season. These visas are applied for by the ski resort and if approved, the certification is issued to the ski resort, not the worker, therefore the visa CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER JOB (no evening bar tending job in town). The dates of employment must be for the winter season which means arriving before the Christmas Holiday and stay until the end of the winter season-usually in May. The ski resorts get a limited number of these, and if you are not hired by mid-June, you will probably be out of luck.

3. Living costs all depend on where you go. Narrow it down to a couple areas and ask again.

As an instructor you will probably want a second job. At most places, you don't get paid unless you are teaching, and that is dependent on people needing lessons. Maybe you should try for a more stable job on the hill. Ski patrol, lift ops, rentals and bar jobs (along with other jobs) have a more steady income. If you do something like rentals, when it is slow, you can ride or choose to stay and get paid. That is just a suggestion though.
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 7:15am
Look into Sun Peaks, Big White (a bit more expensive but nothing like whistler), Revelstoke, Powder King, Fernie (Cheaper/Cheapest but still awesome mountains just 10hours from any big City).

Because it way easier to get a job in Canada.  We have a city joke here that goes:

What's the Capital of Australia?  Whistler.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by rook

What's the Capital of Australia?  Whistler.

I like it.

Thanks so much for your responses. I had been looking into Revelstoke, as it's what only 2 years or so old? And they probably haven't found many International Applicants, possibly willing to come back for a few seasons after their first. I was looking at getting a job around Tahoe, but as mentioned before it is harded to get a H2B Visa (as I will no longer be a student, so I can't get a J1).

If anyone still has input this thread is still far from dead (hopefully). I will start job hunting around April-May, because the earlier I can get something to happen, the better.

Oh, and how to Job Interviews go? Telephone I assume.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:25pm
If you like Free-riding and big mountian riding revelstoke is sick.  It has the most lift serviced Vertical in North America and routinely has over 40ft of snowfall in a season.  Its a pretty nice little town in Revelstoke too, not really any night life though. 

And yes they interview by phone.  For your first year just take whatever you can get, you can always try to switch jobs when you get there. 
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:28pm
Yeah. Well I'll be 18, the legal limit of drinking is 19 there right? So yeah won't be to many nights out, just will want to shred all season long.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:33pm
^^^ Another reason to choose Revelstoke is:  you will only be a few hours from Banff (Alberta) which has awesome night life Cheap hostles and legal drinking age is only 18.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:37pm
Sick!! I thought it was 19! Awesome. Will try get on to them asap. Excited already.

For accommodation, do you know what house sharing is like in Canada?
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:40pm
Just to Clarify,  In the province of Alberta its 18 (Resorts in Alberta include Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise al pretty good but more expensive) in B.C. its 19, but Revelstoke, Fernie, Powder King, Nelson are all pretty close to Alberta (within a few hours). 

As far as housing goes I am not sure. 
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 4:14pm
Just popped Revelstoke an email, asking when applications open up and such, so hopefully I get some good news :)
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 4:21pm

Just to get you excited,  this is all inbounds by the way.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 5:11pm
ahh man looks like such a shredable mountain
Fincky View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 1:16am
I really dont think they will be hiring for oh 10/11 season right now...they are still hiring for 09/10 season LOL

There is A LOT of aussies over here in both big white & whistler, kind of annoying because I wanna meet more canadians Tongue
Doing bar work is great on a mountain as its night time and you get paid cash (mostly) or being a bouncer, look into doing a bar course (maybe through TAFE?)

I reckon the ideal sitution would be to do bar work at night and part time instructing during the day, leaves plenty of time to snowboard and since you cant drink it doesnt matter about going out drinking here in BC....whilst typing this I noticed a flaw lol I have no idea if you have to be 19 to be a bartender here in BC or not :S I would assume so tho.

Another alternative is night time house keeping (I have an 18 year old friend in big white doing this and riding everyday!) They also have sick houseparties so you dont have to go out to pubs anyways.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 1:32am
Awesome! I have my RSA already at the age of 17, local RSL let the school kids get an RSA for some reason, but I'm sure it will look good on the CV! Thanks heaps. How did you go about finding a job Fincky?

But yeah, maybe work at a bar in Alberta where the legal limit is 18?
Fincky View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 3:03am
what is work? haha im a snow bum LOL
snowboard 5+ days a week, live very cheaply and dont do much at all besides snowboarding (I very rarely drink anymore, and thats different because I was prety much an alcoholic at home in austalia! Also havnt had any fast food in months and feeling pretty healthy :)

Yeah I got my RSA at home aswell, but really that means nothing here at all...it doesnt give you any experience working behind a bar, just tells u the aussie laws and whatnot (I have all but forgotten everything taught in the RSA LOL!) im sure there would be some sort of short course or even try get some work in a bar before coming over here..?
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 3:53am
You need the 'Serving it Right' certificate to work in a bar in B.C. and you need to be 19.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Fincky

what is work? haha im a snow bum LOL
snowboard 5+ days a week, live very cheaply and dont do much at all besides snowboarding (I very rarely drink anymore, and thats different because I was prety much an alcoholic at home in austalia! Also havnt had any fast food in months and feeling pretty healthy :)

Where do you sleep, and how much for?
Fincky View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 2:45am

In a house 450/month SmileLive pretty cheaply off food.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/

good site for finding stuff

dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 11:00pm
Yeah, I am looking at Lake Louise now. Looks like a sick resort, plus they have Job Fairs down here that Lake Louise is sponsered by. + Legal limit is 18.

At Fincky, are you able to drive there? If so what license did you have back here?
Fincky View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 11:35pm

pretty sure its legal to drive here with Just aussie license. Ive only driven once though and it was weird being on the wrong side of the road Tongue

I have my full license at home, love to have a few beers and still drive (legally).

Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 12:01am
Wow Revelstoke looks awesome.  I feel a trip coming on...
Fincky View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 1:51am
If I can work out how ill post up some pics of revelstoke from some friends that went there last weekend 
bmd View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 9:24pm
currently in the same situation and tossing up between big white, fernie or banff... ahhh decisions!
DanShredder View Drop Down
Local
Local
my new goggles and helmet from Sierra

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 1:02am
I've been looking into this a lot lately too, there is a company in Australia that is completely focused on Aussies working in Canada. They organize everything for you, and they have info nights in capital cities every few months. Next one in sydney is actually pretty soon, on March 23rd so Tuesday at Shelbourne Hotel, Corner Market & Sussex Street.  

You need to RSVP to these info nights aswell, I'm going to the one in Adelaide on the same night.

Check out their website http://www.owh.com.au/ They have a countdown till their interviews on the home page too, atm its at 72 days

Oh and if you are going there you have to be committed for a full 6months or else they won't take you.

hope this helps a bit
bmd View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 1:06pm
it's also super expensive to join those programs though...
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 5:15am
whats the average pay for a lift operator there in USA?
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 4:04am
like $8.50 US, but good incentives.
LaundryMonster View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 2:38pm
Ahhh.. Where can I start :)

Let me throw you my 2 cents..
getting work in the USA is hard, I wouldnt bother. Go to Canada.
Being international means dick all .. because no matter which resort you end up in you will be one of proberly a billion aussies. Every ski field is filled with aussie workers. Im just finishing up next week at a resort and Everyone here is aussie, kiwi and a handful of canadians.
Aussies and Kiwis can get visas pretty easy as we are all part of the same commonwealth.. this year any other country pretty much got denied.

Dunno about east coast snow, but BC is pretty sticky stuff. Alberta has some pretty sweet snow all season (although this season was pretty shit)

Some resorts have staff accom, the bigger ones tell you to go find your own.

Revvi is a new resort, pretty sweet.. but do your research because there are a lot of good resorts around bc/ab

Fernie is a nice little town.. filled with aussies..
Mountain is pretty decent.. if you like traversing haha .. but yeah its decent
you'll get $8 / $8.50 an hour as a lifty there .. dunno how many hours you will get a week .. mind you, you do fuuucckkk all, as their lifts are semi detached and people self load.

Positive to being a lifty is you really do do nothing at most resorts .. and you get to ride alot more then most positions..
Just be ready for the cold .. expect days as bad as -52 .. anything below -30 hurts .. and you wont be able to keep warm. good boots and good gloves and thermals are essential

The better jobs to get would be janitor/house keeping .. ride all day.. work for a few hours ar night..

or a bar job, because you get tipped heaps, tipping is part of canadian life. but most of the return employees would get that kinda of work over anyone new

Throw your RSA out the windows.. means nothing in AB, you need a Proserv course/cert from memory

Thats about all the advice I can give off the top of my head.
If you want to make money dont work at a ski hill.
do your search like i said.. you might just find a few mountains that arnt big name ones that might be worth working at :)

hope this helps
McThunderstick View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 3:11pm
I think you are just randomly picking a resort. You need to do your research haha. As I'm reading through this you first wanted to just board and now you said you want to party and board, which one do you want?

I live in Alberta and yes the legal drinking age here is 18, it is 19 in BC- and it is unlike American Bars because up here you cannot legally enter the bar unless you are of age.

I am applying to L.L for this upcoming winter but you can't apply until August. Remember, its an hour commute to Banff (from Lake Louise) everyday if you are going to be a bartender. So you have to factor in gas, car repairs, etc.

At Louise you get the whole mountain experience, but with NO nightlife. You have to commute to Banff (again, it is an hour away on a good day). If I were you I would look at Sunshine Village. Sunshine gets,on average, more snow and is located much closer to the town (about 20 minutes away from the resort to downtown).

I would also look at Fernie, which has arguably the best pow of the aforementioned resorts (excluding Revelstoke) and is cheap as hell to live on the hill at a hotel or in town which is 5 minutes away.

Damn, I see alot of you Ausiee yuppers coming up here to Canada to shred our pow and look for "nightlife." But why can't you bring the hot Melbourne women with you??      

Oh, I forgot to mention something. Throw any expectations of swimming in cash out the window- you don't make coin working at a resort.
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 3:45pm
Thank you, Not that I want to party, more so to have the ability to have a pint when needed ;) I realised that L.L was an hour or so away, but I am sure there is accom or places available for a job, as LaundryMonster said Housekeeping or Night work would be good anything to keep me living, and not spending. Once again Thank you both.
Vinno View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2010 at 10:31pm
haha god i love Aussie labour conditions,

Lifties at resorts over here get around $21 an hour which is more than i get bartending!
The Ninth Circle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My little buddy Brucey :D

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 6:21am
Canada fo sho!... at least they're part of the commonwealth which i'm sure makes it a shitload easier! Tongue
Gnar Gnar Harvey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2010 at 3:59am
Dude, Breckenridge, Colorado, USA. They hire Aussies, and it is a wonderful town/resort. You would 100% love that place.
libengazi View Drop Down
Local
Local
BS 180

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2010 at 4:16am
Get a job as a lifty - I worked one season at Vail and it was fun. Anyway now is much harder to get H2B visa so maybe Canada is better choice for you. Good luck man :)
respect mountains
5nowflake View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2010 at 4:17am
i like this thread! keep the info coming!
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 3:02pm
Bumping this thread back into play...

No one has bothered to mention working at Sunshine whilst living in Banff? Pretty good resort with a long season, reliable snow and its close to Banff. I personally would never work at Lake Louise, I don't want to have to drive an hour each way to work at a resort that relies on man made snow.

Honestly, Big White is a ridiculously easy place to do for a first timer, and there is a big village with lots of houses (not condos, actual houses) that can hold big house parties, so you don't have to worry about getting into pubs to party. Plus K-town is 45 minutes down the road so you aren't in the middle of nowhere
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 4:16am
Ahh, thanks heaps. What is Big White (snow, and terrain) like? 
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:26pm
Good luck to you.  In a way, I wish i did something like this when i vaguely had the chance.  Mortgage and kid now makes it just that little bit harder.
Jago View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and me sista

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:37pm
dude, good on you I want to do this when i finish this year aswell (year 12).. I mite dig this thread up in a year or so :) haha
youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 11:45am
I see 0 Aussies working at resorts in the US but a ton at Whistler. 
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 5:11pm
That is because it is so much harder to get a Job in the US then in Canada (for aussies anyways) I would much rather the US to Canada...
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 3:46am
I'd work in the US in a heartbeat if the visa system wasn't so ridiculous. Canada basically throw them at us, whereas the US really make you feel like you shouldn't be trying to work in their country
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 3:13am
As would I. Its so complicated. I think the only way you could get a job over there is to go over on a holiday, have a few interviews then once they accept you, apply for the visa whilst over there?
Ausved View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2010 at 1:35am
Loving the info! Makes me keen to do a season! Personally Im more keen to board then drink! Much rather not feel like crap when I board!
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 2:13pm
im too old to be doing this..i wish i was in my early teens so i had a chance to experience other country...almost 30 now and only country ive been to is New Zealand.. i hope i can get more snow trips before i settle down as family man.

Lift operator sounds like a good job to me.. test your patient and help you develop an immunity to the cold

Sometimes the most boring job and repetitive job can be the best for your personality
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2010 at 9:59pm
as in my thread was looking for a resort to go to,
What resorts do you guys reccomend in canada that have good freeriding and good parks?
reading the above stuff revelstoke looks sick for freeriding, but hows there park?

09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
 Post Reply Post Reply