Learn To Snowboard

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23242526>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
foolishkid View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote foolishkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn To Snowboard
    Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 11:35pm
If I've watched the videos when I was learning how to snowboard, I would've avoid about hundreds of unnecessary falls
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 11:49am
Tip Trick: WildCat (backward) and TameDog (forward)

Courtesy of Thrive Snowboards

Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by robnezz23

Tip Trick: WildCat (backward) and TameDog (forward)

Courtesy of Thrive Snowboards

This video is great. Those roll and flip drills they showed should help a lot.
That board with wheels is a great idea too.
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 12:37pm
Great vid! Although I'd probably chicken out at the point where you have to breeze down the ramp to catch actual air into the foam pit. Haha
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 2:13pm
Going to try it on a trampoline first before even thinking of trying on the slopes.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
AndreasWiings View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AndreasWiings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 3:11pm
Sick vid! very constructive!
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 4:39pm
It be really interesting to try one of those snowboards with wheels. thats the first time ive seen one of those
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

It be really interesting to try one of those snowboards with wheels. thats the first time ive seen one of those

Yeah that would be a really cool experience. Does anyone happen to know what those snowboards with wheels are called? I've always seen people ride it at ski resorts.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AndreasWiings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

Yeah that would be a really cool experience. Does anyone happen to know what those snowboards with wheels are called? I've always seen people ride it at ski resorts.

I saw a caption on Sierra Sun that mentioned that it was called a "rollerboard"

closest thing I've seen to these on the market would be the freebords but those are still pretty different. You could probably make one like this, though.

wish we had places like this to train at here in Chicago!
amottola View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote amottola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 4:19am
I am just starting off with ground tricks and I was planning on buying a new board this upcoming week, do you think the Sierra stunt is a good board to start with?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by AndreasWiings

Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

I saw a caption on Sierra Sun that mentioned that it was called a "rollerboard"

closest thing I've seen to these on the market would be the freebords but those are still pretty different. You could probably make one like this, though.

wish we had places like this to train at here in Chicago!

I searched rollerboard, nothing like that thing came up. Freebords look fun but i think these would be even more similar to snowboarding.
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 3:30pm
That facilty looks amazing!
Has anyone been to there adult camps?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AndreasWiings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 8:23pm
@thisisjoebro:

this is the page I found that caption on but it's the only place I've seen it mentioned.

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20120427/SPORTS/120429909

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 3:46pm

@thisisjoebro:

this is the page I found that caption on but it's the only place I've seen it mentioned.

yeah they do call it a roller board, I wonder if they are exclusive to woodward. 

Ive never been to woodward or any action sports camp. Its costs a good chunk of money.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 6:39pm

@thisisjoebro:

yeah they do call it a roller board, I wonder if they are exclusive to woodward. 
Ive never been to woodward or any action sports camp. Its costs a good chunk of money.

It would be cool to practice at Woodward in order to improve your skills but it costs way too much money. If only Woodward was free with purchase of a lift ticket or something. :)
amottola View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote amottola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 7:03pm
i have watched almost all of the videos that where posted i cant wait for the mountains to open to try out some of the stuff i saw, everything was really detailed i hope i can do some it
itzpookiie View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote itzpookiie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 1:22pm
Thanks a lot for the thread
Been looking for a thread like this
Glad to find a site that offers good prices and help to newbies like me
shinji View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shinji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 8:00am
Can anyone here suggest a good way to learn how to ride switch? I started snowboarding riding regular, but eventually turned goofy. Now I can't ride regular at all... 
Mountain Creek, Camelback, Windham, Hunter, Stratton, Mount Snow, Okemo, Killington, Stowe, Mont Tremblant, Aspen, Snowmass, Buttermilk, Aspen Highland, Whistler/Blackcomb
koyota93 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koyota93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 8:25am
Originally posted by shinji

Can anyone here suggest a good way to learn how to ride switch? I started snowboarding riding regular, but eventually turned goofy. Now I can't ride regular at all... 

For me, I had to dedicate full runs riding switch. The more you do it, the better you'll get at it. Some people have told me to strap in switch, but I don't want to look like a completely noob getting off the chair. It was really hard for me at first, but then you just get more comfortable. 
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 8:40am
^^ ride switch when you're going out with your newbie friends who are still learning to ride, Its all practice for me and adjusting a long the way. more lean, less lean. get comfortable on those greens riding your switch.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 6:23pm
I need to practice riding switch just so i am more comfortable landing switch. Whenever i do a spin and land switch I quickly switch back to regular cause I'm not comfortable. But it looks whack doing that.
amottola View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote amottola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 6:30am
Should I break in the flex on my new board before the season starts
gepet0 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote gepet0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 11:25pm
Ey guys...

dont you think that we should create a post where starts firstly from the easiest things to improve in the snowboarding¿?

I mean in order to make a good progression in freestyle riding, start creating a post where will be posts regarding the first steps that whould be done in freestyle snowboarding...  starting from basic positioon, ollies, nollies, switch riding...

who wants to create with me that progression guide¿? fromthe easiest to the most difficult tricks...
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 11:30am

@thisisjoebro:

I've only heard them call it a parkboard or park-board or park board, likewise they have park-skis.
chasiuiro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chasiuiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:31am
I wish I found out about this forum before I first starting snowboarding. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten hurt as much, since the person who was teaching me the basics only went boarding for like 2 times...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by chasiuiro

I wish I found out about this forum before I first starting snowboarding. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten hurt as much, since the person who was teaching me the basics only went boarding for like 2 times...

That's the same thing that happened to me. I didn't find this forum until after I've gone snowboarding for a couple of months. I always fell and hurt myself when I first started snowboarding.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by gepet0

Ey guys...

dont you think that we should create a post where starts firstly from the easiest things to improve in the snowboarding¿?

I mean in order to make a good progression in freestyle riding, start creating a post where will be posts regarding the first steps that whould be done in freestyle snowboarding...  starting from basic positioon, ollies, nollies, switch riding...

who wants to create with me that progression guide¿? fromthe easiest to the most difficult tricks...
Sounds like a great idea to give a general idea of what would be easier to learn and improve on or progress with.  Everyone is going to progress differently find some things easier to do than others, Its a start tho.  Adds to the video that we alrdy have access to.
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 6:20pm
Is it difficult to switch to goofy if you ride regular?
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by snowflakez

No. You just need to practice it a little.
For me, learning to ride goofy was easier to learn than being a fresh new beginner and riding regular.
because you already know how to stop and turn regular. Apply the same technique when riding goofy
sourgummies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sourgummies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:12am
If you're ever around Lake Tahoe, there's some good learn to board deals - lift ticket, rental, and lesson. I don't think they have the dates up yet but you can probably check back on this site in 2 weeks or so.

http://www.snowpals.org/deals/learn-to-ski-deals/
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 3:50pm
how do you "jump" up the hill with your board still attached. when i try to do it i always fall on my knees.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by snowflakez

I'm still learning riding switch. Such a badass noob falling all over the place. I find it easier when I angle my binding +15/-10 (i'm regular) But that's just me. Try a different stance and see how you like it. Also, I'm thinking about getting the Burton Process that has "channel" binding inserts which allow you to easily adjust your biding length and angle. hope that helps.
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 3:12pm
thanks.
btw sometimes when i do goofy toeside i feel as if my heel moves up like 3 inches. its probably because my boot is too loose but does this affect how i ride.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 7:40am
I'd be careful. A twisted/sprained ankle is first row ticket to not riding for the rest of the day possibly for a few days.
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 9:33am
well idk. i tried a boot size smaller but it cut into my skin and the larger on gives me this problem cant find the right size .-.
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 9:37am
Im trying to learn how to do 180s and then hopefully make my way to 360s any advice?
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 9:48am
Originally posted by mollicap16

Im trying to learn how to do 180s and then hopefully make my way to 360s any advice?

Off lips or off kickers?  Off lips or on flat, I'm pretty confident with 180s now... but I can't seem to do them off kickers, the incline messes me up.

Can you already ride switch?
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
MossManProphesies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MossManProphesies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 12:53pm
Thanks for the videos, makes my gf nervous...something impact pants can save!
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by fj5

Off lips or off kickers? Off lips or on flat, I'm pretty confident with 180s now... but I can't seem to do them off kickers, the incline messes me up.

Can you already ride switch?

I would like to do them off kickers. And im starting to learn switch but im still not their yet. But if you think lips would be easier i would start there.
ttuccio 12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ttuccio 12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 7:50am
And buy Wrist Guards! They are a real life saver!
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by ttuccio 12

At the very least they are wrist savers!LOL
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 9:34am
Originally posted by ttuccio 12

At the very least they are wrist savers! LOL
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 9:40am
jayczer0one View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jayczer0one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 2:14pm
thanks for the video tips doug!
Chad21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Chad21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 3:25pm
Videos have really helped a lot. Been workin them on the run we built until we get some real snow. Thanks.
kykiee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kykiee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2012 at 7:46am
wow. great video tips! especially how to butter. can't wait to go snowboarding and practice my buttering.
Nyczrofl View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nyczrofl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 8:48am
wow great videos, keep them coming!
DJB_74 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DJB_74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 7:19am
Are the "Burton" LTR classes any good?
Or would anyone else recommend a different type of course for beginner who has never ridden on the slopes before?
Sorry to thread jack.
wynbert View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote wynbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 8:20am
Thank you for those videos! :)
heinz View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote heinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 1:21am
thanks for the guides, definitely helped me, even though I've snowboarded before :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>