Learn To Snowboard

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 242526

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn To Snowboard
    Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 3:29am
I remember seeing these videos after some extensive searching sesh on youtube.. Ive got a friend whos only just started learning, and I think just theories and videos would only be able to help to a certain extent. I should really get her to get at least one proper lesson right?
Pretty sure Im a crappy teacher haha
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:10pm
in a word YES.
heinz View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote heinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 12:57pm
I am terrible at teaching people. I just end up yelling at people. hahaha
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 1:47pm
Going to try and teach the girlfriend and her cousins next weekend, should be very interesting.  Hopefully she will take my advice and watch these videos and a couple more on youtube first!
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2013 at 9:02pm
Any tips on teaching somebody toe side?? I compared carving to fishtailing I don't know if that helps though haha
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 12:08pm
I feel like I have hit a rut in my progression.
I am contemplating coughing up some cash for a lesson.
Any advice on getting the most out of the session?
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2013 at 12:08pm
I feel like I have hit a rut in my park progression.
imurdaddy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote imurdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 8:00pm
I just started snowboarding and these videos help a lot thanks and if their are any more please post them haha
slee95 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote slee95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 7:25am
This was very helpful, thanks Doug
ekb18c View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ekb18c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 5:41am
Anymore videos? 
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2013 at 5:46am
Originally posted by ekb18c

Anymore videos? 

Mr. Fagel has left the building... well, he has left TruOutdoors/TruSnow/Sierra, so unless Allie and MustacheGeorge start producing some vids I would not expect any new footage here.

You can find Mr. Fagel's new videos at:  http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/coaching.htm
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 9:02am
These videos are a must watch for any new snowboarder. Thanks a ton, helped teach my brother how to snowboard. Now I don't have to wait for him at the bottom of the hill.
525polaris10 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote 525polaris10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 11:00am
I've found it's best to start a newcomer off on a rockered board. I've just taught a couple buddies and my girlfriend over the past years. I feel one of the main things to learn is weight distribution. Learning to ride on your back leg and when wanting to come to a stop transferring your weight to your front foot and positioning your shoulders down hill. I've had good luck with teaching that as first priority. Once that is comfortable I have my student or whatever u want to call them do the exact same thing on the toe side. After a whole day of practicing the weigh distribution I see the most progression coming when the student is feeling like they are on their own. Kinda hiding in the background. You can only tell someone heels and toes so much before you have to let them catch the edge and take the fall. People need time to register what they did wrong and I feel its best to let the person fall and ask you what happened.
525polaris10 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote 525polaris10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 11:11am
Yo gunda pickle. I woundnt pay anyone for a park lesson. Find the kids that are better than you in the park and ride with them whether they know ur there or not. A lesson can only teach you what the instructor wants you to learn. Following the park rats will show you what they are doing and make it an endless lesson. Confidence is key and watching someone do something when they make it look easy helps to make you believe you can do it.
jades10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jades10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 6:53pm
Doug - you're a champ, thanks for these vids.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 8:40pm
If you guys would like to see another take on teaching first time snowboarders, check out this thread:  http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53417&PN=1&PID=1230188#1230188

Hopefully you'll find these helpful as well! Smile
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
SnowBored1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote SnowBored1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 1:33pm
Awesome vids Doug! Already paid for a lesson at China Peak to go this week (NEW SNOW YESSSSS), but now I get to be THAT GUY that answers all the instructors questions!

By the way, do you know if this is a good deal? Got tix from http://www.skiforfree.com/china-peak-learn-to-ski/ at 50% off - Think the promo code was like CP4 of something like that?
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by SnowBored1

Awesome vids Doug! Already paid for a lesson at China Peak to go this week (NEW SNOW YESSSSS), but now I get to be THAT GUY that answers all the instructors questions!

By the way, do you know if this is a good deal? Got tix from http://www.skiforfree.com/china-peak-learn-to-ski/ at 50% off - Think the promo code was like CP4 of something like that?

Regarding Doug please refer to the message I posted about 6 posts up...

Originally posted by sideways99

Originally posted by ekb18c

Anymore videos? 

Mr. Fagel has left the building... well, he has left TruOutdoors/TruSnow/Sierra, so unless Allie and MustacheGeorge start producing some vids I would not expect any new footage here.

You can find Mr. Fagel's new videos at:  http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/coaching.htm
davidkahn1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote davidkahn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 1:21pm
@Doug, the "how to fall" video is going to be a life saver for many people, good and simple explanation!
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:04am
Falling with Style: 

Tune & Wax: 

All New Coaching Videos: Here

jmokim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jmokim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2013 at 1:24pm
I wish I had these videos when I first started learning. Crucial advice especially when falling. Thanks for the share!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 10:57am
^ Whoa I had no clue doug was still in the forums posting videos! that's awesome
Sad to say I haven't had the time to check out the new ones that were posted but its something defintely to look forward too
I'm progressing!! working on my switch now.. and such =D
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2013 at 10:59am
Going to teach my buddy how to carve tonight,it's her 4th time up after learning 3 days of falling leaf,I'm surprise that she is completely dedicated to the sport and got a entire snowboard set-up on the 2nd day. Thanks to Doug's videos I'm going to utilize his tutorials much as possible. Great work Thrive!
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 6:26pm
Nice video on Methods from Transworld Snowboarding:

TWS Methods
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 6:30pm
Another good video on Backside 360s.

playswithfire View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote playswithfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 1:51am
So I haven't snowboarded in 11 years but have made the decision to go this year no matter what... have bought all new gear, can't wait... just found these instructional videos and have to say an epic...

THANK YOU!!!

Seriously awesome series of videos, I've just watched about 10 of them, and even though the Aussie snow season is still a few months away I'm pumped :)
fat_theo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fat_theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2013 at 4:23pm
Did you see that Perisher had their first snow last week? Of course it has melted away now but still it is exciting!
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by dougfagel

Falling with Style: 

Tune & Wax: 

All New Coaching Videos: Here

thanks for the falling tips Doug. I never thought about that. My ex taught me how to snowboard and all she and her friends told me was keep your hands in and don't reach out. Which has been fine so far, even though I still stick out my hand/arm every now and then, but definitely didn't think about these techniques.
madsnake View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote madsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2013 at 12:10pm
 doug posting in the forums! welcome back, had no idea you were working with a new crew, good to see some more vids as well, cheers. site looks killer.  
lombaed0 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lombaed0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 3:25pm
These videos where awesome I’m just starting to learn and have been doing a lot or research I’m glad I stumbled on this tread
johnshoe View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Ride or Die

Quote johnshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2013 at 9:06am
A friend of mine started snowboarding last year. Was wondering if anyone has recommendations on good mountains to learn on the east coast. near nyc region. Not a fan of Hunter or Mountain Creek because of crowds.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2013 at 11:30am
Originally posted by johnshoe

A friend of mine started snowboarding last year. Was wondering if anyone has recommendations on good mountains to learn on the east coast. near nyc region. Not a fan of Hunter or Mountain Creek because of crowds.

You're posting in the wrong thread, try looking over here for east coast peeps.

Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
jihyungchun View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jihyungchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Originally posted by johnshoe

You're posting in the wrong thread, try looking over here for east coast peeps.

didn't even know there was a separate section for east coast riders
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2013 at 3:57pm
Belleayre is only crowded on holidays like President's Day. Plus we get more small fresh snowfall than Hunter or Windham. If you have the time, head up to Gore.
nalhcal View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nalhcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by gunda pickle

Just go in with an open mind, and try not to get frustrated if they say you are doing something wrong/with bad form.
Amberadam View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Amberadam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2013 at 6:16am
Good stuff!
board_to_death View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote board_to_death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by nalhcal

Originally posted by gunda pickle

Just go in with an open mind, and try not to get frustrated if they say you are doing something wrong/with bad form.

Hi there, 

I am not Doug, who is an AASI examiner, but if you post some vids when you get back on snow, I'd be happy to take a look and give you a couple pointers.

One thing I'd specifically recommend is to be open to fixing things on flat snow first.  Of the 80% of the park lessons I teach, there is some little glitch (physical or psychological) that can be worked out on flat snow/low-progression before you lap the M/L/XL parks.  

Some of my students have been adverse to trying this stuff (too baby for me ...) but those that listen progress far faster 99% of the time by taking a little step back. 

Mike
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Quote Mandiiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2013 at 6:02am
Dont give up!!
aakashsinghal View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote aakashsinghal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 7:35am
Do you think we should make a thread for users to post their own videos?
snitz427 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snitz427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2014 at 9:53am
Rode for the first time on Sunday, spent more time on my butt than my feet.  Still a bit sore on Wednesday LOL  .... but can't wait to go back this weekend!!   Saw a dude wipe out next to me and knock himself out and go into seizures.  Had to go into rescue mode...   Wear your helmets!!!!
Nickaledoe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nickaledoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2014 at 11:40am
Thanks alot these videos helped immensely for my girlfriend.
perryhunter View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote perryhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2014 at 10:43pm
This is great, those videos helped me a lot!
Pheonix_boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Wakeboarding is the Australian Off season Snowboarding

Quote Pheonix_boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2014 at 1:33am
Thanks for the video's Doug, some real decent tips!

Do you happen to know of any videos that can help with learing to work the pipe? I'm looking to give it a go this season after spending most of last season in the park, but a little unsure of how much it differs.

Would love any advice/suggestions :)
All or Nothing
ag35 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ag35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2014 at 7:34am
Your videos helped me tremendously when I rode this weekend. Thanks man please keep it up!
lucy075249 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote lucy075249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 10:13pm
This on-line gambling house is dedicated to offer the most effective market value for gold in World of World of Warcraft Gold in the gameplay of WoW or from an internet gambling house like Safewow.com.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526