Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 26>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn To Snowboard
    Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 1:00pm
This is the Learn To Snowboard Thread!!

Feel free to hit me up with any questions for getting yourself or your friends progressing on a snowboard.

Stay tuned for more Snowboarding Basics and Trick Tip Videos.
Aus_Boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aus_Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 1:59pm
Great Videos Doug.  Very helpful and great descriptions of how to perform each step.
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote BVoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2010 at 2:10pm
great videos they helped me alot!
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 10:36am
Keep'em coming Doug. I think there are enough people around here that are new to snowboarding to warrant a "how to get on and off the lift". I think we all can benefit from everybody knowing how to get off of the lift without slamming. One that I would personally like is how to butter correctly.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
Bartleby Badger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bartleby Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 10:59am
Best. Beginner. Snowboard. Videos. Ever.

That is all Big smile
Is badger, is not problem
ThaScarecro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Advice Dog says...

Quote ThaScarecro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 11:06am
Yes and some noob etiquette too.

Stay to the sides if ur gonna pop a squat, clear the unloading area of the lift, and dont screw up the powder runs by going down heelside all the way down the run.

kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by ThaScarecro

Yes and some noob etiquette too.

Stay to the sides if ur gonna pop a squat, clear the unloading area of the lift, and dont screw up the powder runs by going down heelside all the way down the run.

Yes, yes, and yes.  And clear landings ASAP if they're blind from up top.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 5:40pm
Nice work Doug :-) I'll be linking people to this thread and the vids posted in the media section as well.
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 7:29pm
Can we make this an official thread? Get it in the "Official Threads" tab at the top of the forums or something?
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
mattiaIBK View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mattiaIBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2010 at 10:42pm
this is cool also for "not begginnes-who-havnt-leant-how-to-ride-properly-yet", I believe I have to pay attention to these videos :)
Fincky View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Fincky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 1:33am
I think someone needs to make a video for beginners on how to sit down on a chair lift properly! How do people not know how to sit down?!Confused
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2010 at 3:55am
not sure if this was said before, but getting off the lift was one of the hardest things my first season (actually managed to sprain my knee my second day Embarrassed )

i've seen too many new snowboarders panic when getting off, or getting off too early
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 5:08am
Originally posted by ty

Keep'em coming Doug. I think there are enough people around here that are new to snowboarding to warrant a "how to get on and off the lift". I think we all can benefit from everybody knowing how to get off of the lift without slamming. One that I would personally like is how to butter correctly.

We will be getting on both these videos thanks for the input.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 6:58am
you forgot to make the ''spending lots of time in chat makes you a better snowboarder'' vid
www.chargeharder.com
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Quote snow4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 7:04am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

you forgot to make the ''spending lots of time in chat makes you a better snowboarder'' vid

haha
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Quote snow4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 8:14am
make a vid on how to do fs and bs 360s. i need help on those thanks!!Smile
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
JeffJones View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JeffJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 3:44pm
I agree with ty, an informative video on how to butter correctly would be awesome. Now that I have a new board with a little more flex, I would love to be one of those guys that makes the hill his playground by adding a little steeze :P
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by ShredbettyZoe

Nice work Doug :-) I'll be linking people to this thread and the vids posted in the media section as well.

Thanks Zoe
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

I am going to have to shoot that one with you.

Maybe you can be my stunt double ;-)
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 2:44am
Awesome work Doug. I've already forwarded these to some friends, should help them progress in their learning process.

+1 on the chair lift video, I know some of them are terrified of getting off the lifts.

marcus_navarro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote marcus_navarro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 5:16am
First time posting here...
The videos are great and I think they are going to help me a lot, since I am on my second season and still can't do linking turns properly. (that's the problem of starting to ride when you are 29 years old...)
Thanks, Doug!
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 5:53am
Great videos, thanks. I am taking my girl riding for the first time next week and I'm definately going to have her watch these before I take her up.
Rylander View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Woot!

Quote Rylander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 8:20am
That's how you make an instructional video!
Rylander
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 8:44am
awesome videos doug. these are easily the best how to snowboard vids on youtube.

only point i would add, is keeping a similar video base title throughout all the videos, for a consistent search.

'how to snowboard: linking turns'

'how to snowboard: how to fall'

'how to snowboard: how to ollie'

that kinda thing.
ogidogg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ogidogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 3:14pm
Great job, Doug!   

The video for the grabs should be up here too.

Oh and captain safety rules the pipe
lsu.baseball View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Destin, FL

Quote lsu.baseball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 4:08pm
Kudos to the vids; I watched the "how to ride switch" before my last trip and it helped me get over a few last hesitancies. Riding switch is definitely more comfortable now.

On a related note, I agree that "How to butter" would be great, along with 180/360 vids.
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLEE1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by lsu.baseball

I watched the "how to ride switch"

I never get why ppl make video or ppl watching video of how to do stuff switch
its so stupid and pointless,   if someone wants to learn how to do things switch just apply what ever you're doing when riding normal to switch. nothing is different, even tricks on any feature..
ForeRL View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ForeRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2010 at 6:00pm
^
the majority of Clee's posts are negative

Thanks for putting the time and effort in making the videos, they're great, I'll recommend them to friends who are starting out
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2010 at 10:32am
All the Videos above are in our "Snowboard Basics" How to Video Category.

The videos that are in our current to do list include the following videos: Safety/Etiquette, Riding the Lift, BS 360's, FS 360's, Board slides, Lip slides, Pipe Basics/Pipe Tactics, Carving, Steeps Riding, Presses, Butters, to name a few.

I am happy to put your requests to the top of the list.

--
Check out our How To Videos from our "Snowboard Trick Tip" category.

You can always check out our videos through our YouTube Channel as well.
lsu.baseball View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Destin, FL

Quote lsu.baseball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2010 at 4:30pm
The "Key to Grabs" video has opened my eyes and will definitely make things easier. Kudos again to the simplest and best "How To's" on the web.Clap 

Looking forward to "Pipe Basics."
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 5:19am

These are super helpful. Thanks.  Gives new riders something to think about when attempting new things instead of throwing stuff blindly! 

snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Quote snow4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 6:05am
Originally posted by dougdudeel

The videos that are in our current to do list include the following videos: Safety/Etiquette, Riding the Lift, BS 360's, FS 360's, Board slides, Lip slides, Pipe Basics/Pipe Tactics, Carving, Steeps Riding, Presses, Butters, to name a few.

--
Check out our How To Videos from our "Snowboard Trick Tip" category.

You can always check out our videos through our YouTube Channel as well.

Thank You! These videos helped me alot and taught me what to do like the grab video. Ill need to practice those when im on the mountain.

BAAHAhahahahha
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 6:21am

How 'bout a "How To Huck A Frontflip" video?  It's something I've wanted to do for a while but I'm afraid to just go for it considering it's almost always icy hardpack around here.  One of those things I'd rather not get half-way.
http://thench.com/garage/
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

How 'bout a "How To Huck A Frontflip" video?  It's something I've wanted to do for a while but I'm afraid to just go for it considering it's almost always icy hardpack around here.  One of those things I'd rather not get half-way.
Two things:
  • I love how the language filter changes doug's name.
  • We need to take a trip somewhere and built a backcountry kicker so we can throw some shit with no fear.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 11:46am
I have a great Front Flip Progression that I want to share with people, it is not a priority at the moment but definitely in the list.

I am always down for a powder huckfest!!

When it comes to throwing down I like to say, "it is not when you through flips what you need to worry about landing on your head. It is when you don't flip when you need to worry about landing on your head."

Check out this new Video on Basic Airs. It is a a few of the steps to work on before scoring your Grabs. If you already have some of your grabs this can help to lock down a bit better and more versatile pop off the lip.

adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 1:13pm
Very Instructive..Clap  
You should do video reviews of runs-to-do on whichever Mt you are on!  Still waiting on Tai to show his videography of any CO mountain.
Fear is the Mind Killer
venom59718 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote venom59718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 1:21pm
Nice, my only complaint.... amplitude? common that word actually caught on? damn you espn! I will have my revenge
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 3:25pm
Best instructional videos on the web. Period.
More Tea Lord Douglas?
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by venom59718

Nice, my only complaint.... amplitude? common that word actually caught on? damn you espn! I will have my revenge

Amplitude - the absolute value of the maximum displacement from a zero value during one period of oscillation.

The Zero Point - the lip of the feature

Maximum Displacement - the Apex of the Air

One Period of Oscillation - the parabolic path of the rider through the air

ESPN cannot get credit for the ingenious technical descriptions of physicists. 

;-)

Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Attrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2010 at 10:40pm
Thanks Doug, love this last video, it'll help me a lot for my jumps.

My problem right now:
1. Overshooting my jumps when I'm doing 2-3 jumps in a row.
2. When I'm trying to do some grabs here and there, I feel like I have to grab and release really quick because I don't have enough air time.
3. I'm having trouble balancing on the air when the lip of the jumps curve upwards.

Any tips to help me is appreciated.
sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2010 at 4:31am
wow doug, you make the 180 look so easy. but im always bailing.. i think its because im afraid to catch a hard fall when im doing a 180 with a certain speed.
Boost944 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Boost944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 7:09am
Thanks Doug...really helping me be more conscious of what I should be doing on jumps and in the air.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 7:37am

Originally posted by venom59718

Amplitude - the absolute value of the maximum displacement from a zero value during one period of oscillation.

The Zero Point - the lip of the feature

Maximum Displacement - the Apex of the Air

One Period of Oscillation - the parabolic path of the rider through the air

ESPN cannot get credit for the ingenious technical descriptions of physicists. 

;-)

oh hell yea! Doug busting out the physics, that's what I'm talking about.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Attrox

My problem right now:
2. When I'm trying to do some grabs here and there, I feel like I have to grab and release really quick because I don't have enough air time.
3. I'm having trouble balancing on the air when the lip of the jumps curve upwards.

1. Many times park builders will design jumps to progressively get larger in a set or line of jumps. If they do not and are all consistent you need to be careful of your speed for the jump ahead. This means finding time on your approach to throw in one to three speed checks to adjust your speed. The speed checks themselves can be varied in intensity for the amount of speed you need to bleed. The ideal jump line will allow for one speed check when landing the previous in the middle of the landing. This also means that the jumps must be stomped to clear the next down the line.

2. More pop can bring more amplitude and longer hang time to even the smallest jumps. Make sure to get a good solid pop to make your board to come up to your hands quicker. Also, do not prematurely release your grab ;-)

3. Jumps with more curve to the takeoff, also known as being lippy, are more ideal for skiers because they cannot create as much pop off the lip as a snowboarder. These jumps can be super fun for throwing inverts, but can also through riders off during takeoff, usually into the back seat. A curved lip can set a rider too far back by inducing an over flexed back leg. The pressure increase from the curve requires the rider to have a bit more tension, isometric contraction, through the back leg so that the rear leg does not inadvertently flex prior to takeoff. Drive through the curve by resisting the increased forces and still extend off the lip. You will not have to pop as much off a jump that is lippy. Then follow your normal arc off the takeoff with a bit more focus up into your direction of travel. Float through and enjoy the nice lofty air.

Hope this helps.

dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by sheeshgosh

wow doug, you make the 180 look so easy. but im always bailing.. i think its because im afraid to catch a hard fall when im doing a 180 with a certain speed.

Sheesh - Make sure to dial in your ground 180's while in a traverse. This will help you to realize that you can land any where in the rotation as long as you are on your up hill edge. Bring up the speeds and get used to switching back and forth at all speeds.

CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLEE1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by ForeRL

the majority of Clee's posts are negative

How was i being negative???
its so basic and if you do watch those vid that teaches how to do things switch and than watch the vids that are normal stance, and compare the 2 and see how they explain, its exact same only thing different they say is that its switch and rest of the technique or advice they tell u is exact same, so instead of saying how to do things switch
just make vids on same trick reg. and goofy and if your regular rider and want to learn how to do things switch, than just watch goofy version and vice versa..
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Attrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2010 at 10:03pm

Originally posted by Attrox

My problem right now:

1. Many times park builders will design jumps to progressively get larger in a set or line of jumps. If they do not and are all consistent you need to be careful of your speed for the jump ahead. This means finding time on your approach to throw in one to three speed checks to adjust your speed. The speed checks themselves can be varied in intensity for the amount of speed you need to bleed. The ideal jump line will allow for one speed check when landing the previous in the middle of the landing. This also means that the jumps must be stomped to clear the next down the line.

2. More pop can bring more amplitude and longer hang time to even the smallest jumps. Make sure to get a good solid pop to make your board to come up to your hands quicker. Also, do not prematurely release your grab ;-)

3. Jumps with more curve to the takeoff, also known as being lippy, are more ideal for skiers because they cannot create as much pop off the lip as a snowboarder. These jumps can be super fun for throwing inverts, but can also through riders off during takeoff, usually into the back seat. A curved lip can set a rider too far back by inducing an over flexed back leg. The pressure increase from the curve requires the rider to have a bit more tension, isometric contraction, through the back leg so that the rear leg does not inadvertently flex prior to takeoff. Drive through the curve by resisting the increased forces and still extend off the lip. You will not have to pop as much off a jump that is lippy. Then follow your normal arc off the takeoff with a bit more focus up into your direction of travel. Float through and enjoy the nice lofty air.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input  Thumbs Up
MrStak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MrStak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2010 at 12:00pm
Damn...where were these videos when I was learning. Got some of the tricks down but keep them coming. Could always use pointers by pros instead of learning it on my own. Good stuff Doug. Thumbs Up
airman View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote airman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2010 at 4:25pm
Vids are best. I was very nervous to go to Winter Park with my "spoon in the mouth" skier best bud. The only reason I picked up riding this year at age of 39 was to go to out there. I went to you tube looking for things to work on, found Doug and Sierra. Rode the Cirque, on Sunday our last day, down to Bluebell my bud chasing me all the way. Had the best trip ever. Truly thanks
Shango View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Shango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 2:51pm
Very cool videos. I'm more of a just go out there and do it kinda person. And when it doesn't work, as long as I haven't broken anything, go and try it again.

Something is telling me these vids have saved me a bit of pain, so thanks for that.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>