Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 26>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TimothyGatewood View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Wolf

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TimothyGatewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn To Snowboard
    Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 7:20pm
Awesome stuff. I love how the videos are so simple, there's no over explaining or filler of any kind, just quick, to the point information.
Cheers
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:08pm
I spent a massive amount of time riding up and down walls this year, so pipe is looking like its definitely going to happen sooner rather than later. Cant wait for the basics.

You know what id really like though, id like a propaganda video that i can show my mates that will capture the real fun aspect of boarding. Im not talking about street rails, or massive drops, or anything special, but just something that kind of characterises why we snowboard :) Maybe some interviews with some likely chancers and some footage of some nice playful riding. Consider it the pre basics basics tutorial :) Daft idea i know, but thats how i roll!
m00m
moldygiraffe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote moldygiraffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2010 at 9:40am
Hot damn I wish these videos were available when I first started riding. New riders... don't take these how-to videos for granted.

Doug, you're a great teacher! Clap
o6fg2crazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote o6fg2crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2010 at 2:12pm
good videos doug, keep it up!
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 3:10pm
Thanks guys!!

Ippollite - Not sure if the Propaganda video would be a good title ;-) but good idea with the video. Thanks.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or wants any tips about their own riding.

ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2010 at 3:45pm
Hey Doug, will you post that video of you showing the ollie technique here? The one from Bruizzapalooza... you cut your thumb... I saw it one day in the media section but haven't been able to find it since.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
fiveflat View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote fiveflat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2010 at 8:13am
Originally posted by dougdudeel

Thanks guys!!

Let me know if anyone has any questions or wants any tips about their own riding.

Do a Tail Block video!
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2010 at 8:31am
Here is the Ollie Video:

fiveflat - We are doing the press video first and that will help progress people into the Tail Block Video. Great suggestion!

nzsnowlife View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nzsnowlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2010 at 8:27pm
Awesome vids!

Even for someone boarding for years we all sometimes pick up bad habbits and forget the basics
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2010 at 12:33pm
I like to say that the basics are the foundation of our skills.

Just like building a structure, if you want the ceiling of progression to be able to be built as high as possible you will need to focus on building a strong foundation.

The stronger the foundation the higher you can build your skills.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2010 at 12:37pm
If you ride a Burton you'll never learn. Get anything besides Burton and you'll ride like a champ. 
nthach View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yes, I know this is a kiddie box...

Quote nthach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2010 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by 2zz

If you ride a Burton you'll never learn. Get anything besides Burton and you'll ride like a champ. 

Beg to differ. I started out on a crappy Jobe about 6 years ago, and my second day out was on a Lib Tech MC156. Day and night difference. 3rd day out, some goofball at Boreal hands me a Salomon Ivy(wtf, i'm not a girl) which was swapped out for a Shaun White. Whoa.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2010 at 12:52pm
^nthach

No, Burton is definitely good boards!
I'm just saying this b/c Burton is becoming a dude! (read the other posts bout Burton pricing)
jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jibhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2010 at 9:54am
great job on the vids Doug!! maybe i havent seen it yet, but can you do one on presses?

oh and can you put all the vids from page one on this page

good job again!!
shop_BAGILLION View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shop_BAGILLION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2010 at 5:50pm
Keep it up Sierra! This is great for the community! Can't wait to see what other trick tips you'll post next!
phrostdee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote phrostdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 4:33am

I love the possibility of learning to ride from the videos!  The internet may put me out of a job!

dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 4:46am
Originally posted by jibhugger

oh and can you put all the vids from page one on this page

All the great how-to videos can be found by going to the "How-To" section under the Media tab at the top of the page.  Looks like there are some more videos there that haven't been posted in the thread.
Buckshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 4:47am
Originally posted by 2zz

Hey now, we can all mostly agree that they may be running their company with nothing but profits to in mind, but Burton does make a great product. If you have to option to pick one up cheap it's well worth it.

The vids are great...keppin coming!
Burton Custom X C02 EST '09 | Burton Hero ICS Infidel (Regs) '10
Bazi12 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Bazi12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 12:19pm
Awesome videos. very useful. Thanks
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 5:35pm
Doug... any tips on keeping balanced while in air to stomp a good landing. I already got some great tips on another board. Still working on it and would be nice to hear you thoughts as well.

Basically, I can pop good off the lip, get decent air (nothing massive yet). But the landings are on the tail side when the jumps get bigger! Need to balance (I know)... have a tip or two in mind (I picked from my other thread) to try; like grab the front nose and|or tuck the back foot once airborne. On my next run up (maybe tomorrow).

Thnx in advance.

Cheers...
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME… THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
sevenstarsfall View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sevenstarsfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2010 at 6:55pm
Great videos, hopefully youll still be in the tahoe area and I can get a lesson from you next season, Ive got a couple tricks Id realy like to learn if ive progressed enough by then. Keep up the good work!
Vengleelim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Epic!

Quote Vengleelim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:40pm
Very helpful and informative videos. I try to watch them every time I go boarding.
Instructor
Instructor
Epic!

Quote Vengleelim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 1:59pm
Also, I am having trouble landing my jumps off kickers. I was told that my legs are too stiff and I need to bend my knees. Is there a video that demonstrates this better?
sevenstarsfall View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sevenstarsfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Vengleelim

Also, I am having trouble landing my jumps off kickers. I was told that my legs are too stiff and I need to bend my knees. Is there a video that demonstrates this better?

Here is his basic air video: http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/snowboard-ski-articles/Snowboard-Trick-Tips-How-to-Score-the-Basic-Air.asp
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Quote jgoodwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 5:10pm
This is a great thread i iwish i would have seen this a couple weeks ago
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rishihb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 10:47pm
Great videos.. switch riding video really helped me land some tricky 5s in the park.
KLiang07 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote KLiang07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 10:47pm
I can turn left, or right, but I can never turn left after having turned right or I fall. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn how to stop doing the falling leaf thing so any help would be appreciated.
xxa1z4n3xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxa1z4n3xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 10:54pm
KLiang - Your probably not shifting you weight correctly.
KLiang07 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote KLiang07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2010 at 10:55pm
Well can you explain how I should be shifting my weight? I kept trying different things but I always fall in the end. Thanks!
Instructor
Instructor
Epic!

Quote Vengleelim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 12:22am
I've seen the basic air vid, i was hoping there was/will be a landing vid.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 5:55am
This is a great supplement to learning the hard way.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:00am
Originally posted by KLiang07

I can turn left, or right, but I can never turn left after having turned right or I fall. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn how to stop doing the falling leaf thing so any help would be appreciated.

As you finish a turn you should be crossing through your centered athletic stance.

You can use your feet/ankles to better control you board. The petal power of flexing your front ankle followed by the back ankle can get you comfortably into the fall line while never loosing the grip of the edge.

Learn to stand in your balanced stance as your board comes into the fall line.

Once you start to engage your new edge you can steer by using your legs.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Vengleelim

I've seen the basic air vid, i was hoping there was/will be a landing vid.

We can work on a key to landings vid.

Good idea.
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:30am

The petal power of flexing your front ankle

Do you mean pedal power or should I shred like a flower? LOL
More Tea Lord Douglas?
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 7:13am
Originally posted by The English Butler

The Butler always shreds like a flower Wink
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 7:28am

Originally posted by The English Butler

The Butler always shreds like a flower Wink

Like an English Rose LOL
More Tea Lord Douglas?
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Quote jgoodwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 12:23am
These are some nice videos, after watching them earlier in the year i could link my turns
2010 Ride Yukon - 2010 Sierra Stunt - 2010 Cartels - 2010 Antennas
sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 3:30am
i was able to link turns on my 2nd day out because of Doug's videos.. wish there were a video on presses
J.Kwak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me

Quote J.Kwak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 3:06pm
Thanks Doug, ur Basic Air vid helped me conquer booters this season!!
APyz: (5:23 PM) im so hungry i could eat all your moms out, brb need food.
AtAtAt View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote AtAtAt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2010 at 3:10pm
very helpful thanks
ta1on View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ta1on Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 12:39pm
These videos were super helpful when I was learning to snowboard last year, Thanks!
Jobe00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
gobe

Quote Jobe00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 1:13pm
I still have problems linking turns :(

I cannot control my speed when I go toe-side. I think it is because I have a habit of going heel-side most of the time. Seeing less of where I am going scares me a bit.
Vick View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 11:45am
I'm going to mammoth on April 2nd, I hope the buttering tutorial will be posted by then!!:)
yanwongrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote yanwongrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 5:37pm
Great tips. Can't wait to try it out
ishidamoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ishidamoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 7:44pm
Nice man. really helps
jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jibhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 7:56pm
great job, i used these to help my dad and lil' bro learn. had em linking on the first day.....

GO DOUG!!!!!
jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jibhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2010 at 7:58pm
how about one on how to properly ollie on to rails/jibs from the side(and stay on)?
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote SunFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 2:47pm
Great videos. I still can't ollie worth a carp, so maybe this will help. THanks.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
AlanS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AlanS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 3:10am
Yer i found out about this by looking at it through youtube. Didn't realise that sierra were posting how to's! there are others out there on youtube but not as good. keep up the good work! will watch them before i head up this winter... make my friends watch them too.
poohcrackers View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote poohcrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 12:20pm
Awesome videos.  I like how they're short enough to keep my attention and still give me all the necessary info LOL
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 26>