Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 26>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learn To Snowboard
    Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by barnyard

we need some videos on how to teach young kids to snowboard.

For sure, it is in the to Do List.

- Doug
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Attrox

I enjoyed the ending of that video too, funny to see Doug almost eat it on that rainbow box LOL

I actually hit my face on the landing. Tongue

Stoked that you enjoyed the vid.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:37pm
In response to your question about dialing in your ollie:

Lets break down the steps and clear up the body movements that you listed.

1: Set up towards the nose - Be able to shift your board underneith your body while it is flat on the snow. This will allow you to drive back towards the tail. (So it is not a lean forward, but rather shift your board back to setup towards the nose.)

2: Drive the board forward to load up the tail  and pull up your front foot - This puts your weight to the tail and allows the front foot to easily be pulled up into the air.

3: Your back leg should be flexed as you prepare to generate and release the big pop off the tail. The front legs height at this point is going to be directly related to the height of your ollie.

4: Extend the back leg to pop the board up into the air. As soon as the board pops both legs need to be pulled up into the core. If you only allow the back leg to pop up the front leg will get the teeter-totter  where the front leg goes down as the back leg goes up.

5: Absorbing the landing by extending the legs to meet the ground. Landing with a flat board and up right upper body.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Dice

Hey Doug.... by watching this video I figured my my ollies were not poping as high! Basically, I was "not" fully extending the back leg! Thnx.

The question is the mechanics of the motion... by extending the back leg, wouldn't that keep the board (back) pressed on the snow still? What are the exact body MOVEMENTS done before lifting the the back leg? The steps are:

1. Lean forward
2. Pull up the front leg while keeping backfoot down
3. ?
4. Extend the back leg to get the pop out of the board.
5. Land balanced

That little 3rd move is what I am missing to fully & properly extend the leg and get the perfect max pop out of my ollie.

Thnx in advance. I'll be out this Sunday to try it. Hope to read your reply before then.

Cheers...
TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TahoeDreamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:43pm
Easily the best snowboard instructional videos IVE seen! Thanks for the hard work!
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:48pm
Thnx Doug! That really was very helpful. It's the extension of the back leg AND keeping front leg up to get higher ollies is what I was missing.

Will test it out tomorrow and post results.

Cheers, and many thnx again.
PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME… THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:49pm
Long awaited, The Butters Video!!!!

TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TahoeDreamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 12:53pm

I love the back slide butter at the end of the video....Good stuff again!

Vick View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 5:09pm
Thanks doug, I've actually been up in mammoth since friday, got two days of riding so far, going to go up monday morning(tomorrow). Your videos have been insanely helpful, not even joking. My ollie is higher than ever and I just started doing presses non-stop today, picked it up pretty quickly.   I have a couple questions I wanted to get your feed back on if you don't mind!! Hopefully you can get back to me in time for my session tomorrow, but if you can't no worries, it will be food for thought til next season!

Right now I'm riding the Custom V-rocker 156 (Thanks to SS's sale of course and the same board you used in some of your videos). I ride regular stance and I've set it up so that my front foot is at 15 degrees and 1 line back from the reference point (sorry, board isn't in front of me for me to tell you what is written on the line under the ref line).. My back foot is 13/14 degrees and at the reference point. Q1. First off can you please give me your stance settings on your V-rocker, I just want to know them out of curiosity, I know everyone is different.

Q2.
What do you think about my stance positions if I'm trying to master riding switch right now, should I try to get used to riding the vrocker at the reference points instead of my front foot positioned 1 line back from the ref line? I kind of catch my back toe edge(which is my front toe edge on the board) when I try to transition from heel to toe while riding switch. Don't know if that makes a difference...

Also I wanted to ask about buttering, it's going to take me a few more sessions to master presses, I can do a wheelie press(?0 for a while when riding down the slop(like for over 30 feet continuous) at this point and getting used to front presses THANKS TO YOUR VIDEOS and in 1 day!!

Q3. But my question in regards to buttering is, do I need more of a jib board than the custom v-rocker and is a centered stance at ref points pretty mandatory? Seems like having the front binding set back a bit might throw off butters a bit.   

Once again Doug, thanks for your videos, SUPER helpful!!
switchbackten View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote switchbackten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 1:20am
nice videos im going to watch more when i get my fast internet back lol
KhaosX View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
asd

Quote KhaosX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 12:24pm
Great video.  Buttering is first on my list of things to learn next season
Vengleelim View Drop Down
Local
Local
Epic!

Quote Vengleelim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 12:59pm
Wow awesome Butter Video, I was just going to request this. Nice to know you guys are on top of things!
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 2:54pm
Love the ollie tutorial, will help heaps.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 3:40pm
Wish I'd had the video when I first started attempting butters a couple years ago.  Took a lot of trial and error to learn what Doug summed up in two minutes.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 4:15pm
wow, finally a video that i've been dying for. great vid Doug! extremely helpful, too bad i wont be able to try any of your advice till next season
I'm in need of bindings for my 5 boards..
dmk112 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dmk112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 4:18pm
does anyone else have problems with the videos loading?
Dhulem14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Drink Break

Quote Dhulem14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 6:52pm
Request for a video on tips for riding in the glades besides avoiding trees.
<a href=http://vimeo.com/9692428>#1 Skier Dad</a> from <a href=http://vimeo.com/familytree>Family Tree</a> on <a href=http://vimeo.com>Vimeo</a>
ljfh001 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ljfh001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 11:06pm
Still working on my jumps. Last time I tried, landed on my butt
portmex20 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Squaw Valley

Quote portmex20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 11:18pm
i landed my first 180 this weekend, i was so stoked.
volador View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote volador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2010 at 11:18pm
ooo yay! thx for the butters video!!
jari View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 3:27am
Great videos they helped me alot!!
S54
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Innocence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:17am
love you doug!
ZeoS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Moi

Quote ZeoS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:28am
Great videos!!! THanks!
jcnevado View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jcnevado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 9:57am
in the video it looks very easy but then...
Rosika View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Rosika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 1:21pm
great videos! they helped me! thanks!
thaihobo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Belly Flop

Quote thaihobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 7:57pm
Awesome vids. Thanks yo.
ratasuka View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ratasuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 2:15am
Great video. I have learned a lot from them.
ratasuka View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ratasuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 2:16am
I watched them thousands times...
erchopi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote erchopi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 3:38am
Thanks! Learning will be easyer
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 7:46am
Vick,

Sorry for not hitting you up before your lesson.

Let me get to your questions:

Q1. 
Your angles look good. I usually ride 12,-12 or close to that. Sometimes a bit more angle on the front for directional freeriding. 

As for your stance width I am a bit concerned. You should have each binding equal distance from reference. If you ride the reference width (21") you should have both bindings at reference. If you are wider than reference (say 22.5", what I ride) you would put the front binding forward to .75" and the back foot behind reference (.75'). If you ride narrower than reference (20") set up the front binding .5" behind reference and the back .5" in front of reference line.

If you are setting your board up for powder, decide how far back you want to set the board up behind reference and than make your adjustments from this adjusted reference point.

Q2.
See answer to question one. The Custom V-Rocker is only direction by the progressive side cut and larger powder scoop on the nose. This means that you still want to set up the board using the reference marks for riding switch.

I ride mine centered, on the reference, all the time event in the powder.

Q3.
The Custom V-Rocker is not the softest board but it is pretty soft and great to butter around the mountain.

Again adjust your bindings as described in the answer of Q1.

I am sure this will make a big difference in the things that you are working on in your riding.

Mammoth is open till June and Mt. Hood is open until August, no need to wait.  ;-) 

Originally posted by Vick

Q1.
Right now I'm riding the Custom V-rocker 156 (Thanks to SS's sale of course and the same board you used in some of your videos). I ride regular stance and I've set it up so that my front foot is at 15 degrees and 1 line back from the reference point (sorry, board isn't in front of me for me to tell you what is written on the line under the ref line).. My back foot is 13/14 degrees and at the reference point. Q1. First off can you please give me your stance settings on your V-rocker, I just want to know them out of curiosity, I know everyone is different.

Q2.
What do you think about my stance positions if I'm trying to master riding switch right now, should I try to get used to riding the vrocker at the reference points instead of my front foot positioned 1 line back from the ref line? I kind of catch my back toe edge(which is my front toe edge on the board) when I try to transition from heel to toe while riding switch. Don't know if that makes a difference...

Also I wanted to ask about buttering, it's going to take me a few more sessions to master presses, I can do a wheelie press(?0 for a while when riding down the slop(like for over 30 feet continuous) at this point and getting used to front presses THANKS TO YOUR VIDEOS and in 1 day!!

Q3. But my question in regards to buttering is, do I need more of a jib board than the custom v-rocker and is a centered stance at ref points pretty mandatory? Seems like having the front binding set back a bit might throw off butters a bit.   

Once again Doug, thanks for your videos, SUPER helpful!!

Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 8:34am
In response to your question about dialing in your ollie:

Lets break down the steps and clear up the body movements that you listed.

1: Set up towards the nose - Be able to shift your board underneith your body while it is flat on the snow. This will allow you to drive back towards the tail. (So it is not a lean forward, but rather shift your board back to setup towards the nose.)

2: Drive the board forward to load up the tail  and pull up your front foot - This puts your weight to the tail and allows the front foot to easily be pulled up into the air.

3: Your back leg should be flexed as you prepare to generate and release the big pop off the tail. The front legs height at this point is going to be directly related to the height of your ollie.

4: Extend the back leg to pop the board up into the air. As soon as the board pops both legs need to be pulled up into the core. If you only allow the back leg to pop up the front leg will get the teeter-totter  where the front leg goes down as the back leg goes up.

5: Absorbing the landing by extending the legs to meet the ground. Landing with a flat board and up right upper body.

Hope this helps.

Hey Doug. That was of Great help. Thnx! Wink I can see now that my board is poping much nicer when I extend teh back leg.

However, I still can't seem to have enough time to bring that back foot all the way up (like your video) once the board pops! It works like a charm when there's a bump (I extend just as the nose goes over the bump) and I get nice air.

But on straight up flats, I lift front foot, extend, get the board to pop, but back leg seems glues down as I don't have enough time to bring it up?

Any tips how to bring that back foot up for a monster ollie? Wink

Cheers...

PEOPLE ARE ALL THE SAME… THEY ALL THINK THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! -------- GEAR: Palmer Timeless 164, Nitro Haze 156, Burton T6 164, Ride Machete 161W (LE), Burton P1.1, Burton C60, Union Force SL, K2 DB T1 (boots)
Vick View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Vick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 9:46am
Wow Doug, thanks a lot. Definitely put a lot into perspective and makes tons of sense. I'll definitely fix my stance to center now. Coming from a freeride board I've always had the front set back a bit.

Also I can't believe I missed that video, that helped out a ton also, currently I have my toe ramp extended to the max setting thinking it's just supposed to meet up with the toe edge of the boot as much as possible, obviously I was wrong, I'm going to have to recheck that and probably move the toe ramp back a couple notches since I have size 9 ozones with medium cartel ests.

Thanks again for all these videos and priceless info. It's definitely helping me use my time on the mountain more efficiently as I'm sure that's the case with everyone else! We commend you!
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Dhulem14

Request for a video on tips for riding in the glades besides avoiding trees.

First, you'll probably want to make sure you're comfortable with your turns (both short and long lines) as well mitigating your speed effectively (being able to stop very quickly).  Practice through the trees on a green or blue slope to start to build your confidence.  Be prepared for bumps and other obstacles by keeping your line of vision out in front of you as well as keeping your knees flexed and your weight centered.  This will ensure that you are prepared for anything that comes your way.

For me, I usually plan my line about 1-3 (if I can see that far ahead) turns in advance.  Once you pick your line, you don't necessarily have to stick with it, but be prepared to execute it in case of other obstacles.  When riding a really steep pitch where you are going much faster, it becomes very important to make sure you make these turns shorter in order to ensure that you aren't going faster than you can plan.  It can also help to practice going heel to toe and toe to heel very quickly (short lines) so that you don't have to stop by every turn. 

I'd recommend starting out on a sparcely wooded area with good visibility and plenty of snow coverage.  The less tracked: the better! Make this run 2-3 times in a row and be thinking of ways that you can adapt your line to be more aggressive.  As you start feeling more and more comfortable, increase the difficulty by moving to a run with more pitch and more obstacles. 

Good luck!

E
pixie View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 7:19pm
Doug, a lot of effort and time has gone into these videos, thanks for your time.

These really are simple to understand and to implement, and the comments back show how well they work.

Would be nice to see the thread split for each video, as people coming to the forum looking through the titles will miss the jumping and other slightly more advanced training videos.
qcages View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote qcages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 7:40pm
These videos have been a huge help! thank you Doug! These make more sense than any instructor i've had a lesson with.
willzi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote willzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 12:50am
Love some of the tricks thrown down in the basic air vid. Keeps it very interesting!!
Shimazina View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
No

Quote Shimazina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 7:31am
yeah, those basic tricks are sweet to do for fun.
_| /-\ |\/| |<- $
nammertime View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nammertime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 10:49am
im starting to butter any tips?
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by nammertime

im starting to butter any tips?

Yeah, watch the butters video...
NickFox View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote NickFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:44am
Nice thread! Thanks
Skoojoo View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote Skoojoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:52am
Carving technique videos (both Up and Down Turns) would do ALOT of people some good. because most people dont even know what those are or when to use them
Jim_ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jim_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:54am
Hey Doug,

I tried to learn to press this week but pretty much got nowhere.  The video is great, don't get me wrong.  I couldn't get any significant flex out of my board.  Is my board (2009 Burton Custom 157W) too stiff to press, or am I just too lame to do it?  Thanks!
Amacaluso25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Amacaluso25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 11:58am
Thanks for the butters video! its the first thing im going towards next session!
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 2:58pm
Dice,

It does not sound like you are doing enough to shift the board underneath you at the set up and takeoff of the ollie.

Think about a true ollie, one done on a skateboard. 

The board is kicked down but it has much to do with how you pass the board underneath the body.

Once tail is loaded you need to shift the front foot forward to allow the back foot to retract underneath the body.

This is when you need to also allow the pop to drive the front leg up as well as the back. Otherwise the front foot dives down quickly.

Originally posted by Dice

However, I still can't seem to have enough time to bring that back foot all the way up (like your video) once the board pops! It works like a charm when there's a bump (I extend just as the nose goes over the bump) and I get nice air.

But on straight up flats, I lift front foot, extend, get the board to pop, but back leg seems glues down as I don't have enough time to bring it up?

Any tips how to bring that back foot up for a monster ollie? Wink

Cheers...

dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Jim_

Hey Doug,

I tried to learn to press this week but pretty much got nowhere.  The video is great, don't get me wrong.  I couldn't get any significant flex out of my board.  Is my board (2009 Burton Custom 157W) too stiff to press, or am I just too lame to do it?  Thanks!

It is do able but much more difficult.

Wink
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by pixie

Doug, a lot of effort and time has gone into these videos, thanks for your time.

These really are simple to understand and to implement, and the comments back show how well they work.

Would be nice to see the thread split for each video, as people coming to the forum looking through the titles will miss the jumping and other slightly more advanced training videos.

This will be the case on the new media page to be launched soon. It will have a page for all the coaching videos. And a comment column for each video.

Thanks
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Vick

Wow Doug, thanks a lot. Definitely put a lot into perspective and makes tons of sense. I'll definitely fix my stance to center now. Coming from a freeride board I've always had the front set back a bit.

Also I can't believe I missed that video, that helped out a ton also, currently I have my toe ramp extended to the max setting thinking it's just supposed to meet up with the toe edge of the boot as much as possible, obviously I was wrong, I'm going to have to recheck that and probably move the toe ramp back a couple notches since I have size 9 ozones with medium cartel ests.

Thanks again for all these videos and priceless info. It's definitely helping me use my time on the mountain more efficiently as I'm sure that's the case with everyone else! We commend you!

Glad I could help Vick.

Adjust your toe ramp on your Cartel EST's just one notch forward for use with your size 9 Ozones.
AppleBox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AppleBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 3:20pm
doug, your videos are extremely helpful! good work!
If a catfish were to talk to you would you treat it with respect?
Dice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2010 at 7:14pm
Thnx Doug, your comments are of great help! Will keep at it till I get it right. It's all carpet practice from here until next season though.

Also, I'm practicing on a real ultra-soft 156 boards Nitro Haze which is on the small side, for me, especially for my weight (190 lbs). I got it for jibbing anyway and it's good for carpet practice (butters, etc.).

I'm sure the pop will be better on my bigger snapier/stiffer boards! But that I can't do until next season (boards are being packed & waxed for storage)

Cheers and many thnx for all your help. Wink
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote pimpasaurus JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 12:50am
Doug, great videos!  Really helps out a lot when the steps are broken down in easy to understand terms.  Keep it up and I appreciate all the feedback you give to other riders.  I know all of it is helping in my own riding by reading the feedback.
adrian112 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote adrian112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 2:40am
Cheers Doug,

These videos are awesome mate! Keep it up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>