61 [71.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does clothing have a mental affect on performance
    Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:44am
I'm in a heated debate over here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941474&page=6 and I wanted some oppinons on this. Does the gear you wear have an effect on performance? I say it does. I can't be feeling all awkward in my gear before I drop in. Plus if I think it's a whole extension of your style.   

This kind of plays into the Olympics and the fact that each team has to wear the same stuff (cough BURTON ). Sure Shawn White feels comfortable, but would Danny Davis? Do you think it has a mental effect on the riders?
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:50am
I really don't care what i'm wearing as long as it is comfortable(warm/fits)

Do you run any slower if your shorts are red instead of green?
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:50am
I think it has an effect as far as how you feel in your gear.  If you feel awkward and uncomfortable, you're probably not going to do as well.  I think this pretty much spans across all sports and other activities as well.  How you think you look in your gear shouldn't effect your performance.  I think it's strictly how you feel in it.

lizzard02 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:51am
nah, i disagree. sure, you want to be comfy, but you should be confident in your style, not how well your gear looks. the lympics want to show a somewhat conformed unity, that isn't really conformed. with the jeans and the plaid.

but the one japanese guy, with the dreads, kokubo, has ill style, and he was wearing his own gear. which wasn't as fancy as everyone else.

i'm on cold meds so my thoughts are really jumbled. but i don't think what you wear has any bearing on how you perform.

at least that is my opinion. for if bright colors dictated skill, i'd be able to do mctwists and shit. :)

benjiradio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Sure Shawn White feels comfortable, but would Danny Davis? Do you think it has a mental effect on the riders?

No

not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:56am
That's what I'm trying to say.

For me, watching those Olympians at the top of the pipe, if I had anything that was out of place or uncomfortable it would screw me up major. I guess it's part of being good though. You have to push all that out of your mind.
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 7:58am
If you're on the mtn riding and most of your worries are about how you look or what clothes you are wearing, than you are either a poser/wannabe in my opinion..
Most of the time i think about what run i should hit, how i should hit
or things i should practice.   only time i think about what to wear is at home b4 going out to ride, after leaving the house, clothes that im going to wear never comes to mind.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:00am
I don't know, try and think about it the next time you drop into a feature. To me, it makes a difference if I feel all jankey or gaper.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:07am
Since I would think any sport is pretty much mental, if you think you won't perform well because of clothing you probably won't perform well.  But that'll apply to any situation such as job interviews, etc.   

For me I don't think it'll affect me so it doesn't affect me and I don't care as much as long as my clothing is keeping me warm and dry on the slopes.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:11am

I don't know, try and think about it the next time you drop into a feature. To me, it makes a difference if I feel all jankey or gaper.

LOLOL why on earth would I try to think about this before dropping in?

CLEE wins best comment.

/thread
krazykorean35 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:26am
unless u have a seriously low amount of self worth, what you look like should NOT affect your abilities on the slope.
Rylander View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Woot!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:33am
You put a helmet on in the store and walk around with it its a bit weird. Throw that same helmet on and rip down a mountain you wont notice it till your at the bottom and some asks you if you always where a helmet. When your doing something like snowboarding or playing a sport you don't notice what your gear looks like.

However, being in the right state of mind to own the mountain or your tricks surely affects what your doing. If your confident about wearing skin tight pink leather pants on the mountain, you can still rip.
Rylander
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:39am
My whole thing is that wouldn't it be very hard to feel as Confident in the pink pants as your normal ones.

I mean look at the riders before the drop in for their pipe runs. They do little clothing checks to make sure everything is where it should be.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:40am
Then why do people buy stylish clothing at all?
lizzard02 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:42am
do they really? i've never noticed. i figured my mental state of mind would be thinking.. "don't shtook up" rather than making sure my jacket looks straight.

but that's just me.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:52am
Lago does a small check before his winning run.

I know Kelly Clark spent almost a minute getting the right song to drop into the pipe with. (but that's a totally different and irrelevant subject).

I guess my whole thing is that as a whole the more stoked I get by my gear and music, the better I ride. If I think I look like the shit than I'm more inclined to ride like I am the shit.
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:53am

My whole thing is that wouldn't it be very hard to feel as Confident in the pink pants as your normal ones.

I mean look at the riders before the drop in for their pipe runs. They do little clothing checks to make sure everything is where it should be.

i think you're looking at it wrong.  they're adjusting for comfort, not for style.

soulseller View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 8:54am
I saw that thread on NASIOC and thought it was pretty stupid, didn't read that far.

Sure it has an effect on those that are self conscious about your appearance or their abilities. Personally I could give a shit.
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2010 at 9:06am
Come to think of it
this thread is hella funny,
first off if the clothes makes you feel shitty? why wear it first place?
it doesn't make sense,
2ndly i wonder if you feel the same if you were the only one riding and no one else is around by a mile...
3rd. if you're paying attention on others on what they are wearing
instead of their riding ability than you are a man whore.... lol
why don't u go ask for their number...
meccaandsoul View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:15pm

I'm in a heated debate over here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941474&page=6 and I wanted some oppinons on this. Does the gear you wear have an effect on performance? I say it does. I can't be feeling all awkward in my gear before I drop in. Plus if I think it's a whole extension of your style.   

This kind of plays into the Olympics and the fact that each team has to wear the same stuff (cough BURTON ). Sure Shawn White feels comfortable, but would Danny Davis? Do you think it has a mental effect on the riders?
Uhh yeah.. you know danny davis rides for burton right...jus saying maybe do a lil research.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:20pm
i think it absolutely has an effect, but it doesnt actually make you better or worse.

i dont really care about gear either, BUT if i were wearing outerwear i wasnt that stoked on, it would be ho-hum or "meh" or i just wouldnt think about it. but i have noticed that when im wearing gear i really like, it aids in the positive vibe and feel of riding and i get more pumped, and that snowballs into other positive effects.

Originally posted by meccaandsoul

This kind of plays into the Olympics and the fact that each team has to wear the same stuff (cough BURTON  ). Sure Shawn White feels comfortable, but would Danny Davis? Do you think it has a mental effect on the riders? 
Uhh yeah.. you know danny davis rides for burton right...jus saying maybe do a lil research.

hes talking about the olympic uniforms.  shaun would probably feel comfortable in that uniform, whereas danny might not.  the burton part was a reference to how its burton outerwear for everyone and maybe he thinks thats lame - i dont think he meant danny wouldnt be comfortable because its burton, cause obviously danny is on burton and im sure he knows that.

i can totally see shaun riding a plaid jacket like that, but danny?  hell no.  maybe a giant AG flanorak, but thats a totally different style.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:28pm
yeah but...burton owns analog.....soo yuhh kno.... the styles different but i doubt theyre to concerned about what theyre wearing its the olympics...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:31pm
i still dont think you get it.  were not saying danny wouldnt be comfortable because its burton, or any particular brand... were saying he wouldnt be comfortable because that specific print of the jacket is not really something hed be likely to wear.  its not really his style, whereas i can absolutely see shaun white wearing something like that regularly.

and sure, theyd overcome wearing something they wouldnt necessarily pick out if they had a choice, but im sure all those riders would rather have been able to wear their own preferred outerwear.

while were on the subject, the US uniforms were so cheesy.  lame plaid print and denim pants?  the people who picked that are probably the same people who have been choosing the lame early 90s color-blocked ski instructor jackets for ski resorts since the dawn of time.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:38pm
I know what yur shtooking saying...im saying i doubt hes concerned with somthing as miniscul as outerwear if he were participating in the olympics...in other events im sure hed like to have his own stuff
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:40pm
my bad then, you just sure seemed stuck on the fact that it was burton, as far as the danny davis part of that discussion goes.  thats all.
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 8:44pm
nahh its coo...srry im so heated ppl here are alot differnt then theyre on pbnation
chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by spenser

i think it absolutely has an effect, but it doesnt actually make you better or worse.

i dont really care about gear either, BUT if i were wearing outerwear i wasnt that stoked on, it would be ho-hum or "meh" or i just wouldnt think about it. but i have noticed that when im wearing gear i really like, it aids in the positive vibe and feel of riding and i get more pumped, and that snowballs into other positive effects.

Totally agree with this. Everyone loves to claim how they dont care at all about what they wear, that they are 100% function and that people who care about how they look are kinda like posers/noobs. I dont buy this at all though, i mean why do you wear what you wear? Did everyone just buy the first jacket they saw that had the waterproof/breathability they wanted? Probably not, I bet they looked around a little bit, maybe for something they like the look of better. Which means they care about how they look on the hill. And which is why everyone here doesnt just buy some black pants and a black jacket from sports authority/ rei, which would hold up just fine in any conditions.
For anyone that cares at all about how they look regularly off the mountain (which would be a majority im sure), and surely wearing nicer clothes makes you feel a little better about yourself, why wouldnt this also be true in snowboarding? Nothing about the hill that says you cant care about what you wear. The snowboard outerwear industry is a huge industry, and wouldnt be so if everyone really didnt care about what they wear. Besides, there are good enough companies out there that have great clothes that are both stylish and functional, not just one or the other.
Personally, I wouldnt snowboard much worse from wearing diff clothes, but it would definitely affect my vibe and id rather be wearing my own stuff. Just my 2 cents
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 11:22pm

Lago does a small check before his winning run.

I know Kelly Clark spent almost a minute getting the right song to drop into the pipe with. (but that's a totally different and irrelevant subject).

I guess my whole thing is that as a whole the more stoked I get by my gear and music, the better I ride. If I think I look like the shit than I'm more inclined to ride like I am the shit.

that was hillarious, honestly, I do that shit all the time, just sing random parts of songs, gets me pumped...I catch myself singing along with my ipod down the runs all the time, I think Kelly Clark and I were made for eachother, no homo

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2010 at 11:27pm
oh, and id like to add.. part of what i like about the fact that ive gone back to normal fits instead of holden fits, is that i feel more steezy i guess, and i notice myself taking advantage of more little features and things i can do.  when i ollie something, why not tweak it out a little?  maybe suck it up and poke a little backside shifty, as if i were doing a backside smith grind up on a high ledge?  or when i tailgrab, why not crank it up and shift it a bit as well?  or on that front three, why not poke it, delay it, and then come around?  or why not tap the rock at the top of the side hit with my nose when i front 3 it?  the little things can make all the difference.

sure, i could ride the same no matter what... but i honestly just didnt get the vibe to add little things like that until riding different gear that i just felt different in.
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 2:13am
well what if a pipe rider, usually wears like skin tight L1 pants and a really slim fitting jacket,they might feel out of there mind set wearing baggier burton stuff, thats the only thing i can think of.?
days:60
riding on ice, filming on ice
dxiver View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 2:43am
If you are a man with a vagina, then yes, clothing does effect your performance.
Wingnutx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 2:57am
If you are a professional rider then no clothes shouldn't make a difference and if it does than someone should take away their mancard

For a recreational rider, it can have a slight effect since part of the snowboarding experience for some is all about looking good as well as riding good (improper grammer I know)

As long as the clothes fit properly then it shouldn't have an effect on performance unless it is so ghey that you look Bozo the Clown then......
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 4:25am

sure, i could ride the same no matter what... but i honestly just didnt get the vibe to add little things like that until riding different gear that i just felt different in.

This is what I think.  But then again, I've never had a jacket or pants I ever really wanted.

I have always bought the best looking outerwear that had the best price.  So I really can't argue anything.

When I'm planning my run, and riding, I know I don't think about my clothing.  I could probably get more stoked on the ride up though, who knows.
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 4:53am

Agreeeee.

In fact I think this applies to more than just snowboarding.
If you're going out to an important interview, and you throw on say, something really nice but you don't often wear... you might FEEL less like yourself, and less comfortable... therefore you might completely bomb said interview.

I have a couple of outerwear pieces that I have never felt comfortable riding in. I have pants I shovel the driveway in, but regret wearing every time I go to the hill in. I have gear just sitting around because I don't want to wear it (ya I should sell it at this point), but before buying it I didn't realize I wasn't going to really like it.

People don't always have the same mentality over everything. We all vary, and that's why we have OPINIONS... obv some people don't give a shit what they're wearing for any occasion (this is sometimes more obvious if you look at them and they are riding with a fake pony tail stuck to their helmet) or whatever.

-- bottom line, I think a persons attitude has a lot to do with their performance, and someones attitude for the day can be greatly affected by what they're wearing. (this doesn't just apply for snowboarding)

-- I also agree with whoever said, if you are a professional at riding you should be able to overcome minor things like this and perform well.
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2010 at 5:07am
Originally posted by benjiradio

When I'm planning my run, and riding, I know I don't think about my clothing.  I could probably get more stoked on the ride up though, who knows.
You dont think about it because you've probably never felt truly uncomfortable in it.
overkill127 View Drop Down
Local
Local
thank you come again

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 6:16am

agreed

Any why would you want to wear clothes you're not stoked on anyway? I get that good hard gear should definitely come before soft gear, but ultimately the clothes you wear are an extension of your style.
Steezimax
caidentt1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 6:43am
i love wearing bright and totally unthinkable styles/ being bland would kinda take away my fun
jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 7:31am
think if you were wearing stuff fom Target and Gordini goggles, waiting at the top of the pipe and some guy is like "dude, thats a dopey jacket, wered u get it?"...id be like "uuhhhhhhhhhhhh"......

but if ou were wearing stuff from Burton or watever and someone asks you the same question id feel pretty good saying " its Burton dude" and drop in...

Im just sayng that id feel like id be able to pull out my best knowing that ppl arent looking at me like im a dork that got hs stuff from a garage sale.....
Furb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 8:08am
Production comes from confidence. Confidence is a HUUUUGE deal in all aspects of sports. If you feel like you look rad, then your much more prone to go out and shred it up. Just sayin
iamafish33 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2010 at 7:49pm
except when you feel like you have to perform up to what your clothes look like.... Like think about when you are on the lift and you see some dude in some dopey setup and you think "Man this guy has it all, he must be pretty good" And then you watch him totally be a noob. I'm not sure if that made sense or not....
Low View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Beer break

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 2:20pm
How about asking this question instead.  What if everyone on the mountain was butt-azz-naked would it have a  mental performance factor?  Think about it when you're getting off that chairlift and that greasy old dude is strapping in his birthday suit.  Honestly though it's just clothes man... I'm happy enough to be able to ride with my homies during the winter since snow is so plentiful in Florida, then worrying about a sock matching my gloves.  
Low
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 2:24pm
thats not the point really.  no one is saying it makes you a better worse rider, but even if you dont care at all about matching or whatever, you still like certain outerwear and dont like others as much, correct?  do you honestly think everything is exactly the same in outerwear you like vs outerwear you dont?  youre still capable of the same things of course, but your mood and the vibe of the day is a huge factor, and im not sure id believe anyone (or pretty much anyone) that said they truly didnt think it would make any difference.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 2:51pm
I'm trying to connect with you guys on this having an effect.....I'm just having trouble

Maybe Zoe is right and I just haven't felt uncomfortable in anything I have worn.  Then again I'm not real stoked on my current set-ups.

I know this is not what many of you were arguing, but the poll is just ridiculous to me:

"Yes. If I feel like awkward, I won't be able to perform"

I know some were saying their style might lack (and maybe that is true for some people), but that poll comment, I believe, is absurd.   

I try to look as good as possible before I leave, but my clothes are truly the last thing on my mind when I'm on the hill.  What stokes me is getting out there and stomping something.  I agree the sport is quite a bit mental, but the only thing that adds to my confidence is practice and good sessions.

Instructor
Instructor
<3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 3:13pm
its not about LOOKING GOOD. Jajesus.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 3:15pm
i think we can all agree that if youre in a good mood, feeling the good vibes, stoked to shred, etc, youre more likely to ride better, no?  its like going up on a day when youre just not really in the mood but you go anyway.. totally different than a day where youre super pumped on everything.  again, clothing doesnt make you better.. it doesnt effect your actual skills... but it definitely does have an effect on how you feel.  do you really think youd feel the same wearing something you didnt really like?  doubt it.  thats all.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by ShredbettyZoe

its not about LOOKING GOOD. Jajesus.

LOL
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2010 at 3:57pm
While I do find the lack of boobs in this thread someone troubling - I will say this:

a good 90% of snowboarding is mental. If you have the confidence/will/gonads/whatever you want to call it - to go after something, and the stupidity to keep with it long enough, you'll make it happen.

That said - for some people - outward appearances are an important part of feeling comfortable. If they're not comfortable in how they look - it's going to spill over into other parts of what they're thinking about and what they're focused on.

It would be nice to say it doesn't matter how you look, it matters how you ride - and have it be true. Unfortunately, we live in a society were image is placed near (or even at) the top of our list of priorities.
I'm here for the gangbang....
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2010 at 4:02pm
actually it has a positive effect. I feel my ability level is way below my clothing and board 'steeze' level :), so i always feel this little nudge for me to live up to that stupid UNION logo on the back of my bright green bindings, (not to mention that CAPiTA logo on the base of my board). I know its daft, but i honestly think to myself (despite myself), "by doing XXXX i think i deserved to ride this deck today". Utterly ridiculous i realise, but i dont have anyone really pushing me outside my comfort zone, so if my gear has to be that impetus, then so be it :)
m00m
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 10:24am
Originally posted by ippollite

Production comes from confidence. Confidence is a HUUUUGE deal in all aspects of sports. If you feel like you look rad, then your much more prone to go out and shred it up. Just sayin
This is exactly the point I was trying to make with this thread.

I'm glad that some of you feel the same way as me. This thread has really turned out well, not like my thread on Nasioc where everyone just called me a douche bag that doesn't know WTF he's talking about. You guys have reestablished my faith in snowboarders.
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 9:33pm
No effect. I suck no matter what I wear. BUT, if I had some body armor that could guarantee I wouldn't get hurt or die, hell yeah I'd be awesome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>