do this to your board everyone

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do this to your board everyone
    Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 2:36pm
Take a file to the edges of the top sheet.  this will in a  sense, round off the edges of the sandwich construction (standard on almost all boards) and will eliminate almost all De-lam or chipping issues.

* fig one shows how it comes new, fig two shows what it will be like after you take the file to it. 

This works wonders and keeps your board lookin new.  you would be surprised how much this helps

Look at the subtle white line around my board where i filed. 

This the the board i have been riding all season and not a chip. i slam into boxes rails and trees with the best of em.   Looking good eh?
*Insert Something Clever Here*
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Quote mattaleao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 2:37pm
Levi, you are an evil genius. 
I'm just here for the titties
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 3:26pm
i usually do this, it does wonders
Jdsimmons2 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 3:39pm
Been doing this since Brody posted something years ago.
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote The English Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 3:49pm
Weird – Mr Miguel Mas mentioned that he does this on all his boards this weekend at Shakapalooza Clap
More Tea Lord Douglas?
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Quote MiguelMas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 3:52pm
Great minds think alike.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 3:55pm
some boards already come like this from the factories, all should.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bite me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 5:00pm
For some reason it takes forever to get it to load and pull up, but yeah, this one was posted about 3 years ago now.

jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jibhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 5:09pm
wow, lifesaver. gotta hate that feeling like all you can do is just stand there and watch as your board get chewed to threads, especialy on jibs
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 5:44pm
gonna do it right now on my crew and reverse crew. high 5
Camber Is The New Rocker.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 5:57pm
just did it and it works great. now we'll see if it really is the proof to gapers
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 6:15pm
Dang it, my tuning kit is back on the East Coast. Did Sierra carry the Dakine tuning kits this year? Going to have to buy a file from Home Depot before I rock that Reverse Crew.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 7:39pm
It doesn't protect it 100%, but It saves it a ton. Instead of being a huge gash, it can reduce it to a tiny knick.

It'll save your board in the long run. and if you do it right, it'll deflect the gapers pretty darn well.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 7:44pm
thx, I'll do it right now.
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote GUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 8:08pm
i will give brody 100% credit on this.  i watched them make that vid 3 years ago and do it on all boards ever sense
*Insert Something Clever Here*
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2010 at 9:22pm
I have done this since I started riding.... works great, I beat on my boards and they still look pretty good.
myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote myach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 7:12am
I'm gonna do it from now on! thanks!
fiveflat View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote fiveflat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 8:36am
I just went to look at my Burton Joystick and it looks like it is that way from the factory.  Or maybe it's not near as much as you did it?  Should I go over it again?
HuKiT View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote HuKiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 8:48am
interesting, very cool. That doesn't bother me so much that I would have thought of that. thanks.
http://tjanderson.wordpress.com
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by fiveflat

I just went to look at my Burton Joystick and it looks like it is that way from the factory.  Or maybe it's not near as much as you did it?  Should I go over it again?
go over it again. I do it on my burtons and it helps more. I try to do it in at a 45 degree angle and then round it. cuz the corners are what catches.. So first, take it at a 45 angle then go back down in a rounding motion
TROLL View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 12:07pm
do you need to put a resin or anything on it after filing to protect the board from moisture??
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by TROLL

do you need to put a resin or anything on it after filing to protect the board from moisture??
Nope, all you are essentially doing is filing down the top sheet and maybe a little bit of the fiberglass. But you aren't getting to the core so it's good to go just like that
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 2:01pm
seems like basic tech. why haven't the major companies done this already to incorporate into their boards straight out of the factory....

seems like just another little "tech" they can brag and pitch to sell their boards. plus the shaved topsheet edges wouldn't have to be white, they could paint them in.
jimster716 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jimster716 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 2:13pm
Never Summer boards come like that from the factory. My SL-R is practically pristine while my Capita Ultrafear is dinged all to hell. Not a big deal either way though I'd feel differently if I got a delam.

2011 NeverSummer Heritage 158 :: 2011 Rome Targa :: 2012 Bataleon Disaster :: 2012 Flux RK30
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 2:34pm
When did you come to this conclusion...ppl have been doing this since the intro of the sandwich...duh...
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by chenmt

seems like basic tech. why haven't the major companies done this already to incorporate into their boards straight out of the factory....

seems like just another little "tech" they can brag and pitch to sell their boards. plus the shaved topsheet edges wouldn't have to be white, they could paint them in.
I'm guessing it's just added labor...which translates to added cost for the consumer.  A lot of the cheaper boards don't come with detuned tips and tails, either...even though most people do it themselves before they ride them.
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 3:02pm

An emery board works well to smooth out nicks and ragged edges

psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 3:20pm
does it void warrenties though?
Protect your domes
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 3:28pm
^^doubt it
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 3:39pm
its possible though.
Protect your domes
overkill127 View Drop Down
Local
Local
thank you come again

Quote overkill127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2010 at 6:35pm
I've been doing that with aluminum oxide paper. It really is one of the most fabulous tuning tricks
Steezimax
iammedan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iammedan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 6:45am
i just got my new board yesterday....i have NO idea how to do this... haha anyone around the nor cal bay area able to help out?
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 6:51am
Originally posted by iammedan

i just got my new board yesterday....i have NO idea how to do this... haha anyone around the nor cal bay area able to help out?

did you look at the vid? its very helpful
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 6:52am

1) Go to a hardware store and buy a file. I have 2 different files I use, a wider more coarse one that I used for the first time and a finer file for a smooth finishing touch.
2) Take the more coarse file (if you got 2) or whatever file you have and go around the whole board. Angle the file at a 45 Degree angle with the corner of the topsheet and file down a bit to get rid of the "edge" of the topsheet.
3) If you got the fine file, take it back around again to smooth it out. When I'm on this step, instead of doing a 45 degree angle, I rock it back in forth with the 45 degree angle as my mid point. This will "round" the topsheet down and in my opinion be even more effective than simply a 45 degree angle.
iammedan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iammedan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2010 at 7:47am
Originally posted by gsrrr

did you look at the vid? its very helpful.

i'm at work right now, they block youtube... haha I didn't even know there was a vid in this post. i will def take a look at it thanks!

Originally posted by Jdsimmons2

1) Go to a hardware store and buy a file. I have 2 different files I use, a wider more coarse one that I used for the first time and a finer file for a smooth finishing touch.2) Take the more coarse file (if you got 2) or whatever file you have and go around the whole board. Angle the file at a 45 Degree angle with the corner of the topsheet and file down a bit to get rid of the "edge" of the topsheet. 3) If you got the fine file, take it back around again to smooth it out. When I'm on this step, instead of doing a 45 degree angle, I rock it back in forth with the 45 degree angle as my mid point. This will "round" the topsheet down and in my opinion be even more effective than simply a 45 degree angle.

Sounds good...i'll let you guys know how this goes... i want to keep my new baby as fresh as i can.
snoflewis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote snoflewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 1:03am
this is absolutely genius. will give it a shot this week. 
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 1:14am
Brilliant!
This makes me want to get a new board!
Long hair don't care!
Kenmanh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kenmanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 5:14am
Is it safe to use a Sharpie pen and paint the white border lines to black so it matches my top sheet?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 5:21am
Yeah, It's not gonna do anything, but It's a waste IMO
aznxjz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aznxjz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 6:00am
should i just use the bastard file?  or a stone?
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 6:11am
Something to do now that I'm awake.
Myke_Hawke View Drop Down
Local
Local
My 2004 STi with 575 AWHP

Quote Myke_Hawke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 6:12am
meh sounds like it takes to much hard work
Scotty
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 6:29am
enjoy the slices on your coat from carrrying your ragged board! 
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowSurfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 6:35am
has anybody tried this on an arbor board? they have the tendency to chip along the edges and I usually just sand it down, maybe I'll try it on my old board.
Jaboogie View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
May 2010 Timberline

Quote Jaboogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 6:37am
Originally posted by dcdomain

Dang it, my tuning kit is back on the East Coast. Did Sierra carry the Dakine tuning kits this year? Going to have to buy a file from Home Depot before I rock that Reverse Crew.

I'll let you borrow a file once I'm done with my Reverse Crew Thumbs Up
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 7:57am
Nice thanks J! I didn't realize that I am leaving PDX so soon! Next Wednesday! I'm going to try to squeeze in a ride that day with you since we get back early enough for me to make my flight anyway. Hope my cousins are okay with me ditching them for the last day that I'm here.  Big smile

So... I might just leave the Fish in PDX since we won't get any pow days on the East Coast and I doubt we'll get hit in Tahoe (oh please please prove me wrong). Wondering if I should leave the Hero too and just bring the Reverse Crew / Targas up to VT and Tahoe. Man I actually hate switching back and forth on boards.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 8:05am
I definitely need to do this to my sierrascope before I go out again, havn't had any problems with my other boards, but the scope is starting to chip.
afnmrider View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Park City, Utah - April 10, 2011

Quote afnmrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 8:32am
I'm going to try this out on a board I just sold, before I ship it out.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Jdsimmons2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 8:41am
Originally posted by afnmrider

I'm going to try this out on a board I just sold, before I ship it out.
Don't try it on somebody else's board. That's a dick move. Do it on your own  board.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BboyTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 8:52am
hmm, how interesting.  will sandpaper work? or should i get a file
dance like no one's watching
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>