Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with parks
    Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 11:40pm
This may have been posted, but... I am going to try some park runs this weekend small jumps, rails and boxes. I was wondering what is the best approach or should I just take it one trick at a time, although I've heard if i lean uphill on the boxes i should be fine, land even on jumps and just keep the board centered on rails. Sound right? Opinions please.
2010 Ride Yukon - 2010 Sierra Stunt - 2010 Cartels - 2010 Antennas
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 11:54pm
u also dont want to go into the boxes and rails too slow, as scary as it may seem speed actually makes it easy to ride through the boxes and rails.  u also dont want to speed check to close to the lip of the jumps or the boxes/rails as this will throw off your balance so get those checks in early and just straight line it when youre closing it.  if you happen to be going fast when you're close to the lip of the box or rail..oh well either dodge the box or just go with it, dont try to speed check last second because most likely youll be thrown off on the box. 

the most helpful tip i got when riding through the boxes and rails was to stick my butt out and dont make any sudden movements on the box/rail.

search youtube for some videos, stay away from expert village though cuz they suck.  look up 50-50 by snow professors, that vid is pretty legit.

have fun and be safe, dont take features that are out of your ability range.  start small and get comfortable doing those beginner jibs first.

hope that helps
dance like no one's watching
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 11:58pm
here even found u the video that helped me a lot

Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 12:04am
Originally posted by jgoodwin

I've heard if i lean uphill on the boxes i should be fine, \

I think staying centered and bending your knees on boxes is best, rather than leaning back.
When on boxes stay as flat based as you can.
-some people look like they're trying to carve it and eventually end up on their knees.
Look towards the end of the box or feature when on it.
Long hair don't care!
hoa888 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 5:06am
before hitting the boxes (then rails) go on a relatively flat part of the hill, get a friend to ride down and draw to parallel lines in the snow about the same width/length of a box.. get him to ride ahead first and do it (kinda facing up the mountain, reaching down with his hands and drawing it in the snow)

approach the lined 'box' on the snow with your base *flat* - don't edge - and ride through this imaginary box and feel the your board riding through it flat without edging at all.

re-read that last sentence again :)

then go and hit a few boxes keeping in mind that feeling of keeping the base flat against the box the whole way through.
ookluh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Snowshoe Mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 5:13am
Start with the boxes and small jumps if it's your first day in the park. Stick with 50-50s on the boxes and start small with the jumps to start experiencing that feeling of weightlessness. Some people suggest praticing ollies on flat runs ahead of time. Just keep it simple, and don't get too cocky/ahead of yourself.
inksofmemories View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 5:22am
i tried out park for the first time 2 weeks ago. shouldve looked up some threads before i went boxes arent as scary as they look but my biggest problem was after i come off the box, there were HUGE dips at the end. staff members on the mountain were doing their best to fill it up but are they common? there were many dips after some ramps too. i had a few bad falls that day because of them.
ookluh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Snowshoe Mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 5:43am
Originally posted by inksofmemories

i tried out park for the first time 2 weeks ago. shouldve looked up some threads before i went boxes arent as scary as they look but my biggest problem was after i come off the box, there were HUGE dips at the end. staff members on the mountain were doing their best to fill it up but are they common? there were many dips after some ramps too. i had a few bad falls that day because of them.

They're pretty common.. some are worse than others, of course. The best thing I've found that helps with things like this (and drops in general) is keeping slightly tucked (keeping my knees bent) so that when I come off the end, I can adjust my board's position a little and also absorb any variations in the terrain as I come down. I'm still learning in the park too, but that's what I've found to help me.
J.Kwak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 5:51am
@jgoodwin: for jumps like Bboytommy said get ur speed checks in early and if ur unsure watch how fast other riders are launching off. After u get ur speed dialed in commit to the jump by going flat based and popping off with both legs as soon as ur lead foot starts to leave the lip of the ramp. Boxes/Rails like others said speed is ur friend and keep centered over ur board get those 50/50s down.
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 6:59am
Originally posted by inksofmemories

that's usually the case with the smaller jibs.  noobs like to slam on the breaks instantly after the jib...creates a nice little crater. 

This may have been posted, but... I am going to try some park runs this weekend small jumps, rails and boxes. I was wondering what is the best approach or should I just take it one trick at a time, although I've heard if i lean uphill on the boxes i should be fine, land even on jumps and just keep the board centered on rails. Sound right? Opinions please.

lean up hill on boxes?  why?

foolio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 7:24am
Too old to learn new tricks and risk life and limbs, I like to hang out at the Burton Progression parks with the little kids.  No pressure and no attitudes!
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Percept

Lean up hill on boxes? why?

I think I may have worded it wrong, keep my weight uphill and make sure not to lean down the hill or fall on my face.

For all the speed comments I think thats where I may struggle, Im fine at high speeds, but it may psych me out when its before a jump but I just have to remember, speed check early before any jumps and make sure Im going with enough speed over the rail, flat 50-50.
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 8:38am
@BBoy nice vid I thought they weren't going to go over the landing because it was almost at the end, but that was going to be the next question, I see some people land heelside (180 off the box maybe) and some landing straight.

@Jigkidd Yea i dont want to end up on my knees, i had knee surgery like a month ago. Im fine, I've been up about 6 times since the surgery and able to ollie off the ground with ease.

Thanks for the advice. Im going up saturday so ill try to post some pics of this hilarious event.
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 9:22am

I think I may have worded it wrong, keep my weight uphill and make sure not to lean down the hill or fall on my face.

that's not true at all...or else nose presses wouldn't exist.  as long as you're not on an edge you won't fall on your face.  weight distribution depends on the trick you're doing.  if you're just 50/50ing the jibs, your weight should be centered.  leaning back on boxes to avoid falling forward is not a good habit, and will hinder you from progressing...unless you're trying to tail pres. 

whoever taught you that has no idea what he's talking about. 

BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 9:47am

@BBoy nice vid I thought they weren't going to go over the landing because it was almost at the end, but that was going to be the next question, I see some people land heelside (180 off the box maybe) and some landing straight.

@Jigkidd Yea i dont want to end up on my knees, i had knee surgery like a month ago. Im fine, I've been up about 6 times since the surgery and able to ollie off the ground with ease.

Thanks for the advice. Im going up saturday so ill try to post some pics of this hilarious event.
sweet, glad it helped.  have fun
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 11:03am
I hear you percept so just like the vid stay centered and all will be fine. you guys are helpful man.
Borsa View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 11:44am
to tell you the truth, I had trouble too in the park.  All the information can be a little too much.  My advice after taking in all the info, clear your mind before a trick and just do it.  If your nervous your going to screw up, and if your excited and have all the steps out in your head your def going to screw it up.  Least thats how it works on my end.
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 12:40pm
Regarding leaning uphill or downhill I find that if the box/rail slopes downhill - and this applies onto to boardslides - I like to keep my weight slightly on the downhill side or I end up on an edge and the board slips out from beneath me. YMMV...maybe I just suck at rails lol!
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2010 at 12:59pm
I think what they mean by don't lean forward is on boardslides, easy way to catch your front edge and meet the rail/box with your face. On that same note dont lean backwards on a boardslide or your board will shoot forward out of underneath you( first hand experience on that one). I think the key to all boxes and rails is to stay centered and balanced as possible. Just remember your edges do nothing for you on rails, boxes, or walls. Once you get comfortable doing 50/50's and boardslides then you can start tweaking and pressing by leaning.
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:34pm
All good advice. Borsa that's the best advice I think. I've taken it all in and now I just have to do it with a clear head and rememberwomanw to protect myself.
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:37pm
Don't stop and hang out on the landings. If you fall get your butt up and get out of there. Also, if you are waiting in line you better go when it's your turn.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by womana888

before hitting the boxes (then rails) go on a relatively flat part of the hill, get a friend to ride down and draw to parallel lines in the snow about the same width/length of a box.. get him to ride ahead first and do it (kinda facing up the mountain, reaching down with his hands and drawing it in the snow)

approach the lined 'box' on the snow with your base *flat* - don't edge - and ride through this imaginary box and feel the your board riding through it flat witwomanut edging at all.

re-read that last sentence again :)

then go and hit a few boxes keeping in mind that feeling of keeping the base flat against the box the wwomanle way through.

that is a great idea.  I gotta try that with the wife.
-zakk

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:44pm
Nah, waiting in line is lame most of the time, everyone stands around with their thumb up there butt so they can bail before even dropping in... snake that line, do something steezy and move on.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Scorer099

Nah, waiting in line is lame most of the time, everyone stands around with their thumb up there butt so they can bail before even dropping in... snake that line, do something steezy and move on.

I learned this move from Scorer last week.  I still bail instead of hitting anything, but snaking the line is the move for sure. LOL
I'm just here for the titties
percept View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Scorer099

everyone stands around with their thumb up there butt so they can bail before even dropping in...

or ride off the side of the lip like it's a jump.  those are my fave.

jibhugger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 2:55pm
goodwin, the best advice i ever got was this: freestyle- everybody is going to be throwing tips at you and they are all gotten from experience. but the best way to learn is to start small and figure out what works best for you. on the jumps, practice going faster till it becomes to small and go a little bigger. and remember NEVER go off a jump on an edge. if you go off on ur heel you will fall back and land on ur @$$....good luck

i wanna see the pics

i mite post some of my learning vids, i like laughing
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 5:53pm
Haha this will be fun tomorow, may be bruised on my anoose (borat voice)
chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2010 at 6:02pm
If youre going to hit jumps Id recommend starting with rollers and tabletops. You dont want like a step-down jump with a ramp and a gap to clear. Rollers and tabletops are pretty consequence free if you dont clear the knuckle, so just go faster and faster until you are clearing the knuckle
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 2:11pm
So i went up and tried it all, surprisingly the first two boxes i hit i landed good the next time down i wanted pictures and went down on both boxes. When i tried the jumps i wasn't sure when to actually pop the board, so it took me a while to get higher than my speed allowed me. good thing is i was on a sierra stunt so the rocker helped a lot with the jumps and speed. I have pictures to post but my girl took all the pics at my approach not while i was riding the boxes, except one which shows me on it a little. Almost took a guy's head off as he fell and decided to crawl and lean on the end of the box as i just got on the box. i ad to bail and f'ed my lower back, i did kick the $hit out of him with the board for pulling a dumb move.
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by foolio

Too old to learn new tricks and risk life and limbs, I like to hang out at the Burton Progression parks with the little kids.  No pressure and no attitudes!

forget that. PRO LINE!
Camber Is The New Rocker.
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:35pm
So i posted my pics in a different thread, had fun riding.
 Post Reply Post Reply