Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
J Peer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stomp Pads [Necessary or No-]
    Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:07am
Hey everyone.

I've never really used a stomp pad, just kind of picked up how to skate on my snowboard without one.  I have no problem waiting in line at the lift and skating to where I need to go.  I just put my back leg right up against the back binding and put most of my weight towards the front of the board so I can control where I want it to go.  

Occasionally, I'll slip but that's usually only when I come off the chairlift and I'm attempting to stop.  Let me clarify...  When the chairlift is coming to the point where the snowboarders/skiers need to get off, I have no problem doing that.  I shift most of my weight toward the front of my body and just lean forward and go straight off the chairlift.  I put my back foot up against the back binding.  The problem comes next.  When I am going forward off the chairlift and I want to STOP, I can't seem to figure out how to control the board to come to a complete and controlled stop without falling.  Sometimes I turn on my heel edge and sometimes on my toe edge depending on which way I want to go.  I'd say like 50% of the time, I come to a controlled stop where I don't fall just because it happened to turn out that way lol... but other times I completely lose control... meaning, I'll get off the chairlift fine, I'll be going straight, then decide, "okay, I want to go left to this trail" or "I want to go right to this trail", or "I just want to come to a controlled stop".  I'll then make my decision to go left, right, or just stop straight where I am and completely lose balance and fall.  I'm almost positive, but could be wrong, it's because of my back foot.  

Now my question is, because I really have no idea/never used one, does a stamp pad allow you to grip as if you're in a binding, without the straps?  So I'd be able to control my edges when my back foot isn't strapped in --> which would mean when I get off the lift I'll be able to come to a controlled stop without falling?  (Remember, my problem isn't about being on a 4 person chairlift and/or getting off the chairlift straight.  I have all that down pact.  It's just the part after going straight off the chairlift where I want to be able to control my heel edge to come to a complete stop and/or my toe edge to come to a complete stop.  This way I can remain standing on my board and I won't fall when trying to pick which way I want to go).  

Should I just keep doing what I do without a stomp pad until I perfect it?  Do people usually use stomp pads, or are they for beginners?  I never really look down at people's boards so I don't know if they're common or not, seriously.  I've always wondered if it would benefit me in any way.  What else do they do?  I think I've read that they get snow off of your unstrapped boot? 

Any input at all would be appreciated... thanks for reading and for the help.

Also if you are going to recommend stomp pads could you could please specify or recommend which ones, what kinds of material (sticky stomp pad or bolted stomp pad), or any other information which would make it easier to pick a stomp pad.  I know there are all different kinds of shapes, sizes, colors, specifications, etc. which I know absolutely nothing about. 
CheckOnTrips View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:13am
You will get a lot of mized reviews to this question. Personally i dont use one, but i did back in the day. I just press my back foot against my rear binding and i dont have any problems stopping or turning.
BboyTommy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:17am

the stomp pad does improve your boot grip on the deck.  get one if you have to, but i had similar problems like you when i first went without a pad but now im perfectly fine without it.  just takes some time to get use to, use your front leg (thats strapped in) to steer yourself to a stop while applying a subtle pressure on the back foot.  i have no trouble coming to a stop getting off the lift, so im sure u can do it too.

dance like no one's watching
mejium View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:18am
I've ridden both with and without a stomp pad and haven't notice a difference, but then again this was my first season. I always either try to pick an outside so i can ride straight off the lift, or ride it out and use my free foot to stop me. I also like the way to board looks without a pad.
Jobe00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
gobe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:19am
Its mainly to prevent the back foot from slipping. So if you do what check does, and push outward on your back binding with your back foot, the chances of slipping are reduced.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:20am
YAY!!! another stomp pad thread
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Phatman

lol, now i understand.
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:22am
do what you want and feel comfortable with
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:23am
If you really want one, the Burton mini scrapers are small, clear, fairly unnoticeable, stick well to the board and give a decent amount of grip. They're cheap too.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:24am
WTF is a stomp pad?
I'm just here for the titties
grogmeeler View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:32am
in my limited experience with them i would say they don't help that much. beginners with stomp pads fall just as much as beginners without i am sure. it seems to me that stomp pads arent useful because they don't grip very well in the first place, especially if the bottom of your boot doesnt have deep nooks or crannies for the stomp pad to fit into or if the bottom of your boot is covered in snow. not to mention they are ugly and will probably lower your resale value for your board if you decide to in the future. my 2 cents!
J Peer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by mattaleao

WTF is a stomp pad?

Lol - I'm sorry for asking but I really had no idea if it was intended for beginners only.  I just want to be able to control my stops when riding off the chairlift and not fall uncontrollably.

I really do apologize if this is usually a common thread.  I'm new to the site.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:36am
word of advice, just search before making threads

do that, and you won't get harassedWink
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Originally posted by J Peer

WTF is a stomp pad?

Lol - I'm sorry for asking but I really had no idea if it was intended for beginners only.  I just want to be able to control my stops when riding off the chairlift and not fall uncontrollably.

I/We are only teasing.  If you want to use one great, if you dont, great.  Everything in snowbearding is about preference, don't let other peoples opinions dictate what you do.  Just kill it.

Also, try searching before posting with stuff like this :)
supreme View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

WTF is a stomp pad?

LMFAO!!
J Peer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:37am
Yeah.  I apologize once again, I also kind of wanted to specify my problem to get some input on if I need one or not.  

Do pro's use them?  Lol, I assume not.  
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:39am

Yeah.  I apologize once again, I also kind of wanted to specify my problem to get some input on if I need one or not.  

Do pro's use them?  Lol, I assume not.  

Nobody "needs" them.  If you prefer using one, do it.
tkdyoda View Drop Down
Local
Local

IMO, most stomp pads are not useful. Just board decoration. But, stomp pads that actually have grooves or spikes to hold your boots in place are helpful, especially for beginners that's trying not to slip.

In my personal experience, I've found the Dakine Spike Stomp Pad to be utterly worth using, especially in getting off the lift and not having your boot slip around from the snow/slush/water. This is probably the only stomp pad I would use that can be helpful for getting off the lift and boarding down green runs w/out too much difficulty, as it keeps my boot on the board the best.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

WTF is a stomp pad?

I/We are only teasing.  If you want to use one great, if you dont, great.  Everything in snowbearding is about preference, don't let other peoples opinions dictate what you do.  Just kill it.

Also, try searching before posting with stuff like this :)

I love snowbearding Embarrassed
J Peer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:43am
Originally posted by tkdyoda

IMO, most stomp pads are not useful. Just board decoration. But, stomp pads that actually have grooves or spikes to hold your boots in place are helpful, especially for beginners that's trying not to slip.

In my personal experience, I've found the Dakine Spike Stomp Pad to be utterly worth using, especially in getting off the lift and not having your boot slip around from the snow/slush/water. This is probably the only stomp pad I would use that can be helpful for getting off the lift and boarding down green runs w/out too much difficulty, as it keeps my boot on the board the best.

Thanks, was more along the lines of the responses I was hoping for haha.
jasonFTW2 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:45am
I have one beside it came with my Burton bindings. I regret putting it on because it is ugly as sin (neoprene solid black). Half of it has torn off already. I'm gonna tak it off and not worry about buying another one because the replacemnt I ordered, my wife threw away by accident (left in the box). I wouldn't bother getting one since you seem to be fine without it. You can also try dragging your heal or toe in the snow to stop off the lift. I do this and heel and toe turns like you mentioned.
'09 b supermodel w/ '09 customs, '10 nitro rook w/ '10 cartels
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:45am
once again i link to this little goodie....
Strap Pad
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Scorer099

once again i fail to link to this little goodie....
Strap Pad

Fixed.

Fixed your link too http://www.strappad.com
J Peer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:52am
Went to look at the Strap Pad, whatever it is that Scorer099 posted, link didn't work. 
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 10:56am
This issue has been discussed before lol.

Like everyone said, the stomp pad is only useful to prevent your back foot from slipping. I had it on my first 2 boards but I don't use it on my current board.

Honestly if you have some problems stopping when getting off lift then just get one so when you press your board to stop your foot does not slip.

What you can do though is to cleared the ice/snow right in the middle of the binding prior to getting off the lift. When you are getting off the lift have your back foot right next to the back binding but leave a few inches of your back foot heel (assuming you are going to do a heel stop) outside the board. When you are stopping, you will drag  your heel on the snow and that'll help you slow down or gain your balance.
J Peer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Attrox

What you can do though is to cleared the ice/snow right in the middle of the binding prior to getting off the lift. When you are getting off the lift have your back foot right next to the back binding but leave a few inches of your back foot heel (assuming you are going to do a heel stop) outside the board. When you are stopping, you will drag  your heel on the snow and that'll help you slow down or gain your balance.

That is some good advice.  I'm probably going to continue to not use a stomp pad seeing as most people prefer not to use them, including myself.  I'm just going to keep practicing stopping when exiting the chairlift with my back foot against the back binding.

That StrapPad thing is AWESOME though!  It literally is the answer to exiting the chairlift without falling but who wants that thing on their board, it's hideous.  It's great for beginners though and it really makes exiting the chairlift that much easier.  Cool product.
mandokiddo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I think it speaks for itself

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Attrox

This issue has been discussed before lol.Like everyone said, the stomp pad is only useful to prevent your back foot from slipping. I had it on my first 2 boards but I don't use it on my current board.Honestly if you have some problems stopping when getting off lift then just get one so when you press your board to stop your foot does not slip. What you can do though is to cleared the ice/snow right in the middle of the binding prior to getting off the lift. When you are getting off the lift have your back foot right next to the back binding but leave a few inches of your back foot heel (assuming you are going to do a heel stop) outside the board. When you are stopping, you will drag  your heel on the snow and that'll help you slow down or gain your balance.

That's what I started doing last time I went. All of the rentals I had received prior had stomp pads on them and when they gave me a board w/o a stomp pad I was falling all over the place. After a while I got the hang of it and started to clear the snow off my board while I was still on the lift so I could get a slightly better grip
Rylab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:25am
Never used a stomp pad. Like some people have suggested, I either let my back foot's heel or toe overhang a little (depending on which way i want the board to pivot when coming to a stop off the lift). I let it hang over while skating off the lift (but not dragging it at all yet), then press it down and drag it to both stop and turn a little in the direction I want, once I'm far enough away from the lift.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:39am
Stomp pads is not a necessity. My take is since I have multiple boards, they don't lay on top of each other smoothly in storage. Haven't used one for the past 7yrs. They do help when your boot is not in your binding, but that's about it.
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:44am
I went ahead and put one on after everyone said not to, my boots are not that grippy so they tend to slip. I will not however put one on my new board i just got. like ^^ said you can't really store multiple boards with stomp pads
2010 Ride Yukon - 2010 Sierra Stunt - 2010 Cartels - 2010 Antennas
tc913 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Phatman

please kill thy stomp pad threads jeebus.
shop_BAGILLION View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:51am
you should be able to tell why you're falling. is it that you're off balance, or because your back foot is slipping? if your back foot is not slipping, just practice. if it is, maybe you should get one. personally i just put more weight forward and steer like that; my back foot is there more for support if i need it. but yeah, i don't use one, but it's up to you! have fun!
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 12:12pm
Sometimes I wonder what people ask about more:  stomp pads or waxing Tongue

You can use them or live without them.  Personally I prefer the metal stud variety, they cover less of the graphics and I think they work better than the rubber/plastic/foamy variety.  Having said that the studs refused to stick to the textured topsheet of my Sierra Stunt and I still have no trouble skating or getting on/off the lift.  If you suck at it, you'll get better with experience.
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 12:33pm
I was worried about it too when I brought my new board to Mammoth since I forgot to purchase a stomp pad. But after the first lift run you just learn to deal with it.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 12:44pm
I used it on my first board as my brother had it put on... but I don't think I'm going to bother on the next board, as I kept just pushing my feet to the bindings anyways..
I think it's more a matter of preference....
nubsauce View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 12:50pm
I need to get that strap pad for my girlfriend.  She's scared to death of getting off the lift.

I don't have any problems getting off the lift or stopping though, I think you'll get used to it with more practice.
gonffen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 12:54pm
I find no difference between using a stomp pad and not using a stomp pad.
But like everybody else said, it's really about what makes YOU comfortable.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 12:58pm
no
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:00pm

Originally posted by Scorer099

once again i fail to link to this little goodie....
Strap Pad

Fixed.

Fixed your link too http://www.strappad.com

haha, FAIL.

Wait, another stomp pad thread... I still don't understand what it is and what is for... ugh stomp pads. 
But I think I'll start using strappad as a replacement of bindings. It sounds fun... hehehe. 
Dirtydragon View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Top oF Tahoe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:08pm
no you do not need a stomp pad!! fail fail fail.. although i do like the da kine diamonds... i use one diamond just so i can find the center placement of my board without looking
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:16pm
Stomp pads really only help with slipping on the board surface, not with balance. I use the metal Dakine pyramids that you can place in any random position you like, and they don't look bad or dig your hand like the cheap plastic ones.  Like Dirty Dragon said, it helps with placing your foot where it belongs without looking.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
Rylab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Dirtydragon

no you do not need a stomp pad!! fail fail fail.. although i do like the da kine diamonds... i use one diamond just so i can find the center placement of my board without looking

That's funny, I literally just decided to do this too a little earlier, since I picked a pair up for $3 here on a whim. As I said earlier, I've never used a stomp pad before and don't think it's really needed, but these match the color of my Contact SL's perfectly, so it actually looks pretty sweet unlike most bigger stomp pads, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Haven't taken it to the mountain yet, but just testing it out, it catches right in the arch of my boot while it's against the binding and allows me to swivel the board without the boot slipping off, and it ensures I have it positioned centered without needing to look down. So it seems like it can be pretty helpful.

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:31pm
I've been going without a stomp pad but I just bought the same one as Rylab from Sierra recently.
Bord_Life View Drop Down
Local
Local
Jenn and I hikig Big Schloss in Wolf Gap, VA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:36pm
I would agree with most post on here it is a matter of preference.  I have gone without and with.  i like to keep to a smaller one that i can center to just catch the center of my boot.
Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 1:54pm
Just dig your heel into the snow when getting off when you are ready to stop. That will slow you down. Only bad thing I find about not having a stomp pad is that when I use the back foot to binding technique, I scratch my white beautiful bindings with my black boots
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 2:25pm

That StrapPad thing is AWESOME though!  It literally is the answer to exiting the chairlift without falling but who wants that thing on their board, it's hideous.  It's great for beginners though and it really makes exiting the chairlift that much easier.  Cool product.

That made me lol.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 2:32pm
stomp pads look ugly, make your board look ugly, and my boards are too pretty to attach a nasty ol thing like that to em.
nachosyumm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:36pm

I'm contemplating on putting one on my board short traverses between lifts (20-30 ft), but for just getting off, you really don't need one.  Even beginners usually quickly learn to be fine w/o one.

I was thinking about maybe mounting a stomp bad to my est slot so i could easily remove it when i don't need it.  Has anyone done something like this?

yipperzz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:39pm
can we just delete this thread?  nothing good comes from stomp pad threads.
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:43pm
Remember snowboarding isn't about whats comfy to you it's all about coolness or looks..    stomp pad looks retarded, who cares if stomp pads give you little more grip when beginners are getting off chairlift
you gonna be looking dorky right????????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>