Official Longboard Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 23>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Longboard Thread
    Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 5:47pm
My new board is coming in tomorrow! I'm getting an Earthwing Hoopty 36 with Caliber 50s and Rad advantage 70mm wheels. First strictly downhill setup and I think I'm going to be pleased with it. Competing in my first race on Saturday so I'm really gonna have to ride it hard tomorrow and Saturday morning to break in the wheels and get used to the board.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the feedback! That setup was the one recommended on the Bustin site so i was looking for some feedback to decide to go with that or customize one.
dpboarder98 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 12:26pm
The Bustin Ratmobile sounds like a fun board, I almost bought one. My DH board is a Tutone Megalodon. Awesome east coast company with killer prices. I absolutely love top mounts.

I love my Calibers, but for strict DH I would go with the 44's instead. Haven't ridden the Premiers so I have nothing to say on that. I prefer a bit harder wheel for DH, like 78a so it doesnt grip as much, in case you need to throw out some predrifts to control your speed.

With the board being a topmount you might get bite with 75mm wheels. 50 cals with riser you could probably get away with 75mm but if you want the 44 cals which will be more stable at high speeds I'd try to keep wheels at 70mm max with riser since the 44's are lower. But it sounds like a super fun setup none the less.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 11:12am
Looking to get into some more serious downhill riding so I'm thinking of adding a downhill setup to my quiver. I'm looking into the Bustin Ratmobile with Caliber 50's and Bustin Premier 75mm 75a wheels. If anyone has any experience with this boarde could ya give me some feedback or perhaps recommend a downhill board that you have ridden and liked.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 7:43am
Fair enough, I don't do a ton of sliding, so I wouldn't know.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 6:48am
On the durability side, orangatangs definitely last longer. On the sliding side, Abec11 is so much smoother. I'm just not a fan of the orangatang thane, something about it feels weird to me. I've met some people who love Otang and others who hate it. It's totally a matter of opinion. Just try all kind of wheels and figure out what works for you.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 5:44am
Originally posted by dpboarder98

For lower speeds I definitely like paris trucks, bears gave me nothing but problems. If you want to push/cruise a nice big soft wheel would be good, maybe 78a. If you are pushing definitely look into drop decks or drop through mounting boards like panther said, or get the best of both worlds and get a double drop, both drop deck and drop through. Orangatang wheels in my opinion are over priced for the quality, much like loadeds boards. I love landyachtz decks, and bustin too. Wheels to look at would be Abec 11 for sure, like panther said. I like hawgs too.

I don't see how Orangatang wheels are overpriced, especially compared to Abec11.  A set of 66mm ZigZags are $47, 70mm are $50, and 75mm BigZigs are $54.  On the other hand, 70mm Orangatang 4Presidents are $52, and 75mm In Heats, $55.  These are on thelongboardstore.com, maybe you can find Abec11 cheaper elsewhere, but still, it's only a difference of 1 or 2 dollars.  But to each his own, if you like Abec11 a lot more, they're good wheels.

Personally, although Orangatangs might be a tad more expensive, I've had bad luck with Abec11 wheels, I've had Gumballs, 70's flashbacks, and Retro Zigs, and the urethane, although smooth, tends to get shredded and chunked REALLY quickly, much more quickly than my Orangatangs.  I feel like Abec11 has some durability issues, but they are good wheels.

Loaded boards, on the other hand, are DEFINITELY overpriced... 
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 12:06pm
I've got a deschuttes brewery sector nine pintail blank I'm thinking about selling if anyone wants to make an offer. it' just the deck no tape or anything brand new. 
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 11:34am
I ordered a Churchill LTD.  Can't wait to get it.  I'm new to longboarding so I don't really have an expert opinion, but I'll post up some sort of "review" after I've ridden it a little.  At least a comparison with the Moose board I've been learning on.

Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2013 at 7:16am
My friend has one of them, called the raze. I don't think its available anymore but he loves it. Super durable and worth the price. Not much else to say. Now they have free shipping to the U.S. which is nice. One of the things stopping me from ordering from them was how expensive their shipping was, but now I'll probably make an order.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2013 at 11:38am
I am loving cruising around the neighborhood on my board.  I started our using it as transportation, to get to the gym and stuff, but now I kinda like just riding it around for fun, especially now that it's summer.

I already feeling like I need to upgrade though.  I really like the look of those Churchill drop throughs.  Does anyone have any experience with them.

Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2013 at 12:02pm
For lower speeds I definitely like paris trucks, bears gave me nothing but problems. If you want to push/cruise a nice big soft wheel would be good, maybe 78a. If you are pushing definitely look into drop decks or drop through mounting boards like panther said, or get the best of both worlds and get a double drop, both drop deck and drop through. Orangatang wheels in my opinion are over priced for the quality, much like loadeds boards. I love landyachtz decks, and bustin too. Wheels to look at would be Abec 11 for sure, like panther said. I like hawgs too.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 1:55pm
Since you won't be doing hills, you're going to have to push a lot.  Lower to the ground = way way easier on your knees and legs when you're pushing.  I would get a lowrider or a drop through.  Landyachtz are pretty cheap and good quality:

Lowrider (bent to ride low to ground):

Drop through (baseplate of trucks is secured to the top of the board, reduces height from ground by the thickness of the board:

Those are on the cheaper end, but still high quality.  I have a really old drop speed, like the second one i posted, and it's a great board, super durable and pretty fun to ride, they've improved it a lot over the years.  However, Landyachtz are typically solid maple construction, so they're not too flexy, which can also be fun.  

I have a Load Tan Tien (bamboo) as well, it's sweet, it's a good cruising board if that's what you're looking for, among other things, but on the expensive side ($200 or so for the board).  Bamboo is fun, especially if you're not bombing hills.

There are a ton of options out there, but I would put your own setup together, avoid buying a sector 9 or gold coast complete, you can get a lot more for you money.  For trucks, I would go with either Bears or Paris, I personally like my Bears more, but they're both good.  Wheels...lots to choose from.  Abec11 and Orangatang are good choices.  Don't go cheap if you're serious about longboarding...buy nice or buy twice.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 9:23am
well. the snows gone. Im selling all my snowboarding gear, Im moving to Florida soon, and I am looking at buying a longboard now. I do not have any hills and I dont want to go downhill on them so please dont take that into account. I really have no idea what im looking for, but I rode a sector 9 board, it was bamboo deck and I had alot of fun on it. It could make pretty tight turns and seemed like it would work well for what i want. I dont know which one it was though. If someone could suggest decent/inexpensive decks wheels and trucks etc that would be great! PM me with any info or help too if you want
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 11:22am
Just busted the nose of my board yesterday so it's time for a new one. I've been looking at a lot of options but I think I'm gonna go with a Bustin Boombox with Orangatang Stimulus wheels, Bear Grizzly 852 trucks and Bones Ceramic Reds bearings.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2013 at 10:43am
Haven't been any posts in this thread for a while, here's a bump. Once I get some more footage I'll make an edit and post it here
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 9:58am
i gave my little sister a mardrid bamboo deck with a self made bearing cleaning kit and a multiwrench. think she loved it and she lives in the northwest so should get plenty of use. i didnt get anything board related but got lots of snowboard gear!
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 8:58am
Well Christmas was great. I ended up getting a Tutone Megalodon and some Caliber trucks. Now just waiting for the rain to leave so I can try it out
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by dpboarder98

Sounds awesome. I wish there was a class like that at my school. I would love to make my own board.

Yeah a woodshop class would've been cool. I could've made my own longboard, but problem is, my school's wood class closed down due to budget cuts :(
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 1:02pm
Sounds awesome. I wish there was a class like that at my school. I would love to make my own board.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 12:55pm
I'm making a longboard in my woods class. Will post pics when completed and other descriptions.
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 7:54am
Well heres another bump. Nobody has been posting in here in a while.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2012 at 4:09am
Man this thread has been dead. Heres a well needed bump
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2012 at 11:06am
Nice man. Looks like a solid purchase right there.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 3:42pm
I haven't had a whole lot of time on it yet, but so far I love it. Im running it with loose trucks and 75mm wheels and surprisingly have no bite. I haven't tried it sliding yet, but the ripples on it create little pockets so it should be fun. As for the concave in the tail, it is the greatest thing ever. Its so comfortable and keeps your foot on it. Once I get more time on it I'll make a more in depth review.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 2:57pm
Nice! Definitely looks like it should be fun. Let us know what you think of it
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 2:11pm
It will be here thursday. Cant wait I'll take it out for a ride and let you guys know how I like it EDIT: Just tracked it and it will be here tomorrow instead
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2012 at 6:15am
@Steezemisterr I got it for $70 and it hasn't come yet, because of thanksgiving. But when I get it I'll let you know. Should be pretty fun.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

^^I think its funny how it has the stats. Kinda like it should be in a skateboard racing video game.

HAHA yeah seriously. Tony Hawk Pro Cruiser 6.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 9:02pm
^^I think its funny how it has the stats. Kinda like it should be in a skateboard racing video game.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 7:38pm
thats a nice little cruiser. how much did you get it for and how does it ride?
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 6:59am
I posted this in the recent purchase thread but figured it could go here too. The newest addition
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 7:07pm
No matter how tight or loose your trucks are you will get speed wobbles if you go fast enough. Just experiment and find what is best for you.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 6:00pm
Well, "unstable at higher speeds" pretty much describes how I ride right now, so maybe I'll just loosen them a little and see how it goes!
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 11:50am
Yeah that pretty much sums it up. And its really all about how you like it. As long as you dont get wheel bite you can go as loose as you feel comfortable going. The looser you go the more responsive your board will be but you will be unstable at higher speeds.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 10:44am
It depends on whether the board is cut out for the wheels or if it just has wheel wells. If the board is cut out for the wheels, then you can go as loose as you want. If it has wheel wells, pay attention to how loose you put them so you dont get wheel bite. If you get wheel bite but they are still too tight then I would suggest riser pads. Just play around with it and find out what you want.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 7:52am
Board arrived and its been nice here so I've been out on it quite a bit. Need to get a helmet (I've been wearing my snowboard helmet which must look kinda dumb).

The board rolls really smooth, but the turning circle isnt great. If I want to loosen the trucks a little, how much is a little?
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 10:26am
I messed up my bearings a little riding in heavy rain for a couple hours. I really should have stopped to think "oh wait its raining" haha. The only damage I can see it really doing to the actual deck is if its delam-ing on the edges and you water-log it. Even then, I doubt you'll notice it too much. Like steeze said though, going super fast=slide. Going slower=footbrake. Plus you cant really slide if you are going that slow anyways.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 4:24pm
There's a couple ways to stop. One is to put your foot down but that doesn't work to well if you're bombing a hill. The best way to stop is by wearing a pair of slide gloves and sliding to stop. And if you board when it's wet outside it can potentially damage your bearings, unless you have ceramic bearings. I don't think its too bad to ride on slick roads as long as its not raining. I have done this in the past and I just cleaned my bearings and lubed them up after and they're perfectly fine.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 4:05pm
Yeah, and one more dumb question. Is it bad to board when it's wet? I get the road is slick but are there other reasons? Is it bad for the board?
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 12:46pm
how do you stop when you are long boarding down a super big hill. silly question but it seems crazy to just put your foot down to slow down.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 12:41pm
I'm trying to get out a couple more times before winter really gets here but its been raining a lot lately. Hopefully I'll ride at least once more.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 12:16pm
Awesome. Once you get it and ride it a little tell us how you like it.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 4:41pm
Ok, thanks. I ordered a Moose board - a 47" pintail. Cant wait until it arrives and I can start riding it.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 8:35am
Yeah for a first board just get one that's a cheap all around board and you'll learn what you want out of your new boards. I bought a Riviera this year for about 100 bucks so next year I'm looking into some nicer boards that are more specific to free ride and freestyle.
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 8:47am
I would suggest looking at churchillmfg.com their boards, trucks and wheels are great. They are blank and like $16-$50 depending what deck you get. Some of the expensive name brand longboards come from Churchill, but are $100 more just for the graphic on them.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 8:28am
This is a cool thread.  Lots of good info, the buyers guide on silverfish is super helpful.

I'm getting a longboard just to cruise around my neighborhood on.  I'm not really going to bomb huge hills or do tricks, just ride around.  I may even see if I can get my kids to tow me on their bikes.

I'm looking at some blank completes on Ebay for a first board.  I don't have too much to spend, and I figure like snowboarding, once I've got used to riding a while I'll have a better idea of what I really want and need.

Anything else I should know?
West0589 View Drop Down
ASIstaff
ASIstaff

Quote West0589 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 3:59pm
So, how did they work? It is a brilliant idea.
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 3:32pm
Petoskey and Kalkaska area.  I wish we could have stayed longer.  There are so many nice hills up there.
I make handmade longboards PM me for info.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 1:47pm
Those are some sick shots. Where abouts did you go up North?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>