Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 23>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rossco2314 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Longboard Thread
    Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:06pm
Changed topic to Official Longboard Thread.

-This thread is for everyone's longboard needs!

Post pictures
Post videos
Ask question
Get questions answered
Talk to the largest longboard community on Sierra
Read reviews of longboards

Just can't live that negative way... make way for the positive day.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:08pm
my friends are big fans on Loaded Longboards, they love them, and have a few different models.
i just got one aswell
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:12pm
Do you know anything about longboards? I am clueless so all information on them would be helpful when I go look at them. I dont want to waste my money on something I am getting off of looks. I need to know the details about longboards and what to look for.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:16pm
well you need to know what length your looking for, what you plan on doing with the board, soft flex for playful and freestyle riding, stiff flex for bombing hills stuff like that, go on different brand sites and just read into them
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:20pm
loaded longboards are sweet, i'm thinking of getting the dervish this summer. i have a landyachtz right now, they make a ton of models for cruising and bombing huge hills, just go look at their websites. sector 9 makes decent stuff, but everyone has one, and you can probably find something better out there.
mandokiddo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I think it speaks for itself

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:24pm
The only two brands of longboards i've ridden are sector 9 and original and my orginal totally owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rXwBmGyMRo

they also have a crapload more videos on youtube you can check out as well.

Here's their website

www.originalskateboards.com
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:26pm
Well the only shop that carries longboards near me only carries Sector 9 so if I want to buy local I have to get a Sector 9. Are loaded more or less expensive then sector 9?

I am looking for an all around board. One good for just cruising around town and that is good at bombing hills.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:27pm
And Im 5'8 and 130 pounds. What is a good size for me?
burtontwin52 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote burtontwin52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:29pm
If your looking at sector 9
some boards you may want to consider
shipstems bamboo series
pathfinder, mainland
pretty much just normal cruising longboards
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:29pm
loaded will be more expensive than sector 9. sector 9 is kind of like the burton of longboarding, they have most of the market share. for just cruising and bombing hills, a sector 9 will do fine. i would look at things like the flex of the deck. a flexier deck will be easier to carve, but not as stable at speed. wider trucks will be more stable, but not as easy to turn. also, i know sector 9 makes some of these, go look up what a drop through is. basically it has a hole in the board where the trucks go and you put the baseplate of the truck on top of the board, lowering the board to the ground, making it easier to push and more stable at speed. i have one, and love it. try looking it up online.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:31pm
your body size doesnt really matter like it does in snowboarding. the size of the board depends basically on what you want to do with it. longer and bigger for more stable at speed, shorter for more carving, smaller turn radius, tricks, etc.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote burtontwin52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:32pm
If you want a lot of turning/ carving you could look at the sidewinder series
it is basically two trucks stacked on each other for tighter turns.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:33pm
I think loaded boards are generally more expensive than sector 9 but are much better quality.

For cruising and bombing hills i think a pintail shape is usually a good bet. I heard that Never Summer makes some good pintail longboards but I don't know the price range on those.

I know that some manufacturers makes different flex patterns based on your weight so you can usually pick the one that fits you

I hope that helps a little bit. I honestly don't know that much about longboarding myself. I just picked it up last year.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:46pm
Thanks everyone. The info is helping!!!

Anyone have any recommendations of a good Sector 9 that will last me a long time? That I can just cruise around town and boom hills.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:47pm
looking at sector 9's website, the platinum series looks pretty sweet. i like the way the carbon decay looks. the burleigh bamboo board looks pretty tight too. bamboo is really flexible and light, could be fun to ride. also, the pintails, like mandokiddo said above are good. the oracle looks sweet, my brother used to have a board just like that. he liked it for a while, but eventually sold it and bought a drop through landyachtz.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:53pm
Also for sector 9 I have the kommi which is a drop through so it's great for cruising around. Since it's lowered to the ground it takes a lot less effort.
powpowpirate View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
cheeky

Quote powpowpirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:54pm
I've rode a NeverSummer Concept all last summer and it was hella fun. I tried out the Heist too but I preferred the longer, smoother carving on the softer board to the agressive/fast/stiff style. If I was gonna buy one I'd go with an even longer one-- like 43+
snackboymk2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I am not a crook!

Quote snackboymk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 3:59pm
I got a Barfoot roundtail with revenge trucks and retro zig zag wheels. NOT a hill bomber (revenge trucks are best ridden loose) but I couldn't have more fun cruising the bike trails in my area. In my opinion, go for soft wheels and quality bearings if you want a snowboarding feel.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 4:01pm
bones swiss- awesome bearing, there are expensive, but ive had the same pair in my wheels on my skateboard for 5 YEARS, and they are still running fast as hell
snackboymk2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I am not a crook!

Quote snackboymk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by IceCoast

bones swiss- awesome bearing, there are expensive, but ive had the same pair in my wheels on my skateboard for 5 YEARS, and they are still running fast as hell

Blast em with some triflow spray lube every now and then to keep them clean. The difference is amazing!
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2010 at 11:21pm
Swiss bones kick ASS dude, my stepbrother ALWAYS had them on his skateboards when we were in middle school high school (like trick skateboards). I was always too broke and bought red bones (chinabones!) instead.   

I have a sector 9 bomb hills not countries, it's really long and I just roll around Davis on it, since Davis is flat. My friend rides a GFH and loves it. Not really huge on longboarding though-just a way to get around. good luck!
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 9:49am
ya spenser i hear ya, bones reds are still some kick ass bearings considering they are $15, they just wont last as long as swiss.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 10:40am
Yeh I also you the bones reds on my sector 9 board. They're still way better than the stock bearings that come on those boards
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 1:45pm
Never Summer or Arbor longboards FTW!!!
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 2:48pm
you can find some decent deals on longboards on tramdock.com or whiskeymiltia.com and those types of sites. I see them all the time.
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 4:08pm
Do not go for sector 9 . S9's are kinda crappy. Check out silverfish longboarding for a ton of info. For trucks i would go for either paris 180s or randal 180s both are about $40 for a set. For bearings almost anything is good...dont think that the higher abec rateing the better. Speedy lunatics are some good cheap bearings for about $9. For wheels just dont buy ebay knock off wheels. I make longboarding decks so pm me if you are interested.
DharmaBum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DharmaBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 4:23pm
Ive owned two Sector 9's and havent been too pleased with them. Loaded is nothing special either. I really like Gravity's decks, bear 852 trucks, and Big Zig wheels (lime) with Swiss labytinth bearings

talk about sexy ($300 price tag)
get your fix @ www.Actionsportstoday.com
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 4:53pm
i dont really get longboards, freebords look way more fun on hills, and also somewhat safer since you can stop them at speed reasonably easy (it seems), and skateboards look more fun on flats. Whats the appeal of a longboard?
m00m
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by ippollite

i dont really get longboards, freebords look way more fun on hills, and also somewhat safer since you can stop them at speed reasonably easy (it seems), and skateboards look more fun on flats. Whats the appeal of a longboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwlhgrOWmU
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 5:06pm
Sorry I don't know how to embed videos
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 5:30pm
you can't really ride a freebord on flat ground, and you cant ride a regular skateboard fast on flat ground. longboarding is so much better for just plain cruising.

dharma, why do you like gravity over other companies? just curious, i was pretty set on getting a new loaded deck this summer, but keeping the options open...
DharmaBum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DharmaBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:10pm
Its a legit company with a good background, Loaded is like the Burton of longboarding to me, everyone has one and everyone is hyped on them, they are expensive and there is nothing special about them. Sector 9 seems more like Rossignol, or Lamar IMO.

Ive had nothing but good experience with Gravity, they make decks that fill every niche of the market, from freestyle longboarding, to cruising and downhill and their art is incredible.

I have an Original Apex 37 right now which Im in love with, If I could afford more than one setup Id get a Gravity, then a Fullbag w/ Holey's, then a Landyatchz
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:18pm
the pic you posted of the kalai looks pretty sick. have you ever been on one? if so, what does it flex like? right now, i'm riding a landyacthz drop carve from a few years ago, and it flexes a little, i cant bottom it out even jumping on it, and i want something just a little more flexy. not a total noodle, but more fun for carving.
cwsmith3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cwsmith3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:19pm
I have a NeverSummer Concept and love it. I don't get to use it a whole lot but when I do it's a good time. Just lookout for cars when your bombing hills.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:23pm
insect longboards look pretty legit too, pretty expensive though. has anyone ridden one?
DharmaBum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DharmaBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:25pm
I have not yet ridden a Kalai, but the style is right up my alley. I know its not a stiff board, because its designed to compete with boards like the dervish (twin tip freestyle dropthrough deck). I think the Kalai is the most beautiful deck in its class and the Gravity's I have ridden have been nothing but great decks

From reading the site it has bamboo and cross ply maple to add torsional flex (plagued my sector 9 surf camp, freakin noodle) and make it a snappier deck, like all quality decks though it comes in a variety of flexes

Nother sexy deck:

panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:28pm
sweet, i'll have to consider that one. i like the idea of bamboo and hardwood combination.
taiguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
no insta-death

Quote taiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by ippollite

i dont really get longboards, freebords look way more fun on hills, and also somewhat safer since you can stop them at speed reasonably easy (it seems)

get/make some sliding gloves and you can stop whenever you want on a longboard. 

DharmaBum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DharmaBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:37pm

shop_BAGILLION View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shop_BAGILLION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:37pm
I've got a three Sector 9s: 2 longboard and a mini. I love cruising with them... especially the mini. I like pumping and sliding with it (kind of like surfing.. not sliding with gloves). I also have a Loaded Dervish and Ceviche. I use them both for sliding with gloves. I love the Dervish. They are great for sliding. Ceviche is easier to cruise with because it's smaller, but it can't kill the hill as well as the Dervish. Up to you though, just get a mid length board with fat wheels for a smooth ride. You can bomb anything with it and cruise around like a BAMF.
taiguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
no insta-death

Quote taiguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2010 at 7:38pm
+1 on the silverfish forum. you can read up on anything and everything longboarding related here.

i ride a cracked skulls. talk about core, it's a single dude who retired from his engineering job to build decks. i'm a happy camper. a complete deck is $124 with randal II 180s and 70mm abec flashbacks.

i changed out to a harder durometer wheel for better sliding.
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 2:24am
Originally posted by taiguy

+1 on the silverfish forum. you can read up on anything and everything longboarding related here.

i ride a cracked skulls. talk about core, it's a single dude who retired from his engineering job to build decks. i'm a happy camper. a complete deck is $124 with randal II 180s and 70mm abec flashbacks.

i changed out to a harder durometer wheel for better sliding.
Ya definatly go with the KS.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 1:42pm
+1 for gravity boards. My friend had the carve which I got to ride. It really does live up to its name
mcguck View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mcguck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 4:24pm
to be honest i dont know a lot but my mate has a sector 9 board and now wants to get an original board when he can afford it. i have ridden his sector 9 board and it rocks, not sure what model it is though. probably not a lot of help but anyway
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 4:33pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhfq2FPKKm4&feature=player_embedded

check this out guys.

its a new board from loaded, its a slightly smaller dervish, ment for more trick riding, smaller wheelbase, and has curved up tips.
im getting it
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by IceCoast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhfq2FPKKm4&feature=player_embedded

check this out guys.

its a new board from loaded, its a slightly smaller dervish, ment for more trick riding, smaller wheelbase, and has curved up tips.
im getting it

crap, i wanted the dervish, this complicates things...

where did you find one? or did you yet?
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 5:23pm
havnt bought one yet, i wont for about another month, more should come out soon, they are sold out on loaded site, but google it you might find some "Tan Tien"

same price tag as the dervish
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mandokiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 5:33pm
Man that looks like a killer longboard. It reminds me a lot of the apex 37 from original. Such a cool video too.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 5:37pm
ya it is deffinetly an awesome video. and pather, i googled it and found a few sites with small quanities of them.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote burtontwin52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 5:40pm
man how do they slide like that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>