Official Longboard Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1516171819 23>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Longboard Thread
    Posted: Sep/13/2010 at 8:53am
ite here are my 2 cents. i've ridden loaded, s9, and gravity.

i really like just cruising and carving down some hills. but not bombing anything like mountains so i don't really need to focus on sliding, coleman sliding, speed checks, etc. i can just foot brake.

i think the best set up i've ever ridden was a Loaded Dervish (get whatever flex is within your weight). with bear grizzly trucks (a downhill truck but for some reason i enjoyed how it responded to my carves) with some orange khiro bushings in them. as for the wheels. it's rocking the pink bigzigs. i'll post a picture later so you can get an idea of what it looks like
Rossco2314 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2010 at 10:59am
I have been busy and I am sure everyone else is but we need to get this thread bumpin again!!!!
Just can't live that negative way... make way for the positive day.
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by myungsup

ite here are my 2 cents. i've ridden loaded, s9, and gravity.

i really like just cruising and carving down some hills. but not bombing anything like mountains so i don't really need to focus on sliding, coleman sliding, speed checks, etc. i can just foot brake.

i think the best set up i've ever ridden was a Loaded Dervish (get whatever flex is within your weight). with bear grizzly trucks (a downhill truck but for some reason i enjoyed how it responded to my carves) with some orange khiro bushings in them. as for the wheels. it's rocking the pink bigzigs. i'll post a picture later so you can get an idea of what it looks like
if you want to liven up that set up i would get some venom cones or Shr cones.  They will make your khiros feel dead.
I make handmade longboards PM me for info.
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2010 at 2:10pm
Agreed, if you want a cheaper alternative, sabre bushings have a lot of rebound to....

btw if you want a good carving truck look at the paris's, the truck design itself is much less restrictive. Same with the stock randalls. even though the design is good, their piece of crap bushings are actually pretty great to carve with haha!
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2010 at 2:15pm
well the guy i bought the longboard from swapped the khiros in for free. so i was pretty happy about that. i actually having a pair of randalls laying around. i like the bears for some reason. haha ill look into those other bushings though. the khiros seem a LITTLE stiff.
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2010 at 2:31pm
I would try some venoms. Or shrs if you want more rebound. (more than sabre and less pricey)
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2010 at 7:22pm
Agreed with longboarderdude...

Just quick thing though.. try mixing the bushing combos, right now im riding with one paris and one sabre bushing, but imma change to venoms soon, but mix and match, hopefully it works out for the best for you!@
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2010 at 9:59pm
i'm a pretty heavy guy though. so it's kinda nice to have such a hard bushing. but i've always wondered what it would feel like to ride on soft bushings. sometimes i wish i could carve a little harder, but i don't really have that many problems.
mixing bushings... hm i've mixed hardnesses before but never mixed brands. i'm assuming it's the same concept though.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 3:49pm
so this week, i was riding at night, this girl in a car was talking on her phone, ran a stop sign, nearly hit me, and ended up running over my board, and bending the axles on my 4 year old bear trucks, which i loved. so she bought me some new ones, the new black bear 852s, and they are so sick. i've been on randals, the old bears, i have paris on my landyachtz, and now the new bears on my loaded, and i like the new bears the best. so easy to carve, so sweet looking, perfect finish, i love them. the best 180mm trucks on the market IMO.
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 4:03pm
Nice panther! Just saying, did you try your paris's and randalls on your loaded? Since Ive always thought of the bears as more of a DH oriented cast truck
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 5:13pm
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 5:17pm
http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/z4OG5/hash/7qkbs3nb.swf?v=1519937771065&ev=0

allright this looks better, that slide was a good 20 yards at least!
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 5:48pm
yeah all my friends were giving me crap for getting bears. they were saying "oh it's a dh truck you won't be able to carve for crap but man.. those trucks are a gem. i swear. 
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 8:19pm
ya.... I actually ride paris's with venoms, I think they feel better, but I ride a very restrictive truck.

Dont really carve at all, so I dont have a say in this convo haha!
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 7:03am
Originally posted by myungsup

i'm a pretty heavy guy though. so it's kinda nice to have such a hard bushing. but i've always wondered what it would feel like to ride on soft bushings. sometimes i wish i could carve a little harder, but i don't really have that many problems.
mixing bushings... hm i've mixed hardnesses before but never mixed brands. i'm assuming it's the same concept though.
  Im about 140 and i ride 90a cones on my carving board.  I have a friend who has 83a cones and it just feels like they have no resistance or rebound at all.  Im sure you guys all know this but when your mixing and matching make sure to have the harder bushing on the boardside and softer on road side. (relative to the bushing seat.)
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 5:14am
If you want a good mix for carving bushings, try 90a Barrels on the bottom, and an 87a SHR on the top.... its a good amount of rebound, and feels great! (Top as in away from bushingseat)
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 5:35am
So i bought a loaded dervish and i'm pretty new to longboarding. The bushings that came in the trucks ripped after the first time i used them. What are some decent bushings that will be able to handle some sliding and lots of mid speed carving? Also i'm thinking about upgrading the trucks any suggestions?
TGOD View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote TGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 11:07am
I ride the Loaded Dervish.like a lot of people, but its a great board for all types of riding dancing, sliding, tricks. but not downhill
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 11:27am
Originally posted by forrestconley@yahoo

I ride the Loaded Dervish.like a lot of people, but its a great board for all types of riding dancing, sliding, tricks. but not downhill

Check out youtube video: "Longboarding Orangatang Wheels" and you will see some sick downhill on a Dervish.

I thought the whole point of lowering the deck to the ground was for better stability for downhill. 

I ride a top mount because I do no downhill just mainly cruising bike paths. It just seems that because the Dervish became the board for a lot of people to buy, that people think drop thru decks are good for everything.

Set-up= Long Board Larry Komodo, 180 Randalls, Amber retro freerides& 81a Flashbacks
Life is good
mikeyp View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
flight 2010

Quote mikeyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 5:04pm
original longbaords are sick! the trucks are amazing!! get them!! stable even when theyre as loose as they get, u can pull really tight turns.
snowboarding
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2010 at 7:18pm
@Robsta- What trucks are you riding now? Look into paris trucks, with venom bushing combos. Also, the dervish isnt the best for sliding, barely any concave.

@Forrestconley- Agreed minus the sliding

@shock 639-The point of lowering to the board to the ground is usually for stability, but in the dervishes case, it is a carving board with the restrictive feel of dropthru. Also its drop is barely anything if you think about it. ITs pretty much a carving, commuting specific board IMO. ALso in the Otang wheels vid, the DH rider in leathers is riding a Landyachtz Evo with orange InHeats. The dervish isnt wedged or nearly as stiff, and its clearly to flexible to take on speeds like that.

@mikeyp- original isnt my taste, but its all rider preferance. I loved my apex37 when I had it, but I liked it a lot better with Paris trucks than the S8s. The S8s dont lead to spead wobble, but they dont allow you to lean, giving you the option to turn extremely sharp, or go straight unfortunately. If you want a truck thats like teh original trucks. Try out Indy 215s. They are a slolum truck, making them super turny, but you are able to lean with them. They dont have the same springy rebound of the S8 trucks.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 6:05am
I am riding 180 randals or something like that. I did actually order venoms yesterday before reading your post. ya i noticed the dervish isn't great for sliding but it's still very do-able. I had a sector 9 before this board and it was a lot easier to slide.
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 2:11pm
ya actually the dervish I would think is better than an s9... what bushing combo did u get from venom?

The reason the dervish isnt good for sliding IMO is the lack of an aggressive concave, which doesnt really give you a good lock unless you are using a super grip like viscious tape.
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Kquan

ya actually the dervish I would think is better than an s9... what bushing combo did u get from venom?

The reason the dervish isnt good for sliding IMO is the lack of an aggressive concave, which doesnt really give you a good lock unless you are using a super grip like viscious tape.
well he didnt say what board he had. s9 makes a lot of boards and some that are decent ( notice i didnt say good) for sliding.  And dervishes dont have nearly enough concave (in my opinion) for sliding.
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Longboarderdude

Originally posted by Kquan

ya actually the dervish I would think is better than an s9... what bushing combo did u get from venom? The reason the dervish isnt good for sliding IMO is the lack of an aggressive concave, which doesnt really give you a good lock unless you are using a super grip like viscious tape.

well he didnt say what board he had. s9 makes a lot of boards and some that are decent ( notice i didnt say good) for sliding.  And dervishes dont have nearly enough concave (in my opinion) for sliding.

Im pretty sure I already stated that dervish's dont slide well, But pretty much all s9s that I have ridden slide just like a dervish, except the dervish has a lil better feel
bluedot_snow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 6:05pm
I ride an arbor hybrid koa, mostly for carving and transportation aside from my subie. can anyone give me pointers on ollieing a board that long? is it possible? I can take decent drops, maybe I'm missing to much of the tail x.x 
live like mountain, flow like river
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2010 at 9:23am
I bought the standard venom combo with one barrel and one cone (red 90a) for each truck. Is it normal that the barrel bushing slides right on the kingpin but i can barely get the cone on at all?

I have no idea why but for me it was easier to slide with my sector 9. It could have been because it was a little longer and i had an easier time thrusting my back foot out. Or because i had better grip on the sector 9. Not sure
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kingman756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2010 at 6:50pm
rode my buddies dervish down a decent hill yesterday and died. my back and elbow are so done. ill wait for some snow to snowboarding. longboarding is just hurting me.
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 11:15am
Originally posted by robsta

I bought the standard venom combo with one barrel and one cone (red 90a) for each truck. Is it normal that the barrel bushing slides right on the kingpin but i can barely get the cone on at all?

I have no idea why but for me it was easier to slide with my sector 9. It could have been because it was a little longer and i had an easier time thrusting my back foot out. Or because i had better grip on the sector 9. Not sure
Ya some of the venom bushings you have to force on a bit. but as long as you can get the cone on you will be fine. If you cant contact venom and they will help you out.
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 1:56pm
@robsta, just force it on a bit.. itll go on, its the same bushings as the paris and gunmetal bushings, venom.....

@kingman Thats why footbrake and knee pads are what is going to save ur ass... just needa know how to bail
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2010 at 2:38pm
Hey I'm trying to sell my Lake Tahoe longboards Talmont 52, it's a 52 in flat deck, independent truck and hardware, kryptonics rout 65 wheels, I'm looking for 125 if anyone is interested PM me.
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 1:14pm
Here are a couple pictures of some boards that we have built and are selling complete.
Let me know what you guys think.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 1:22pm
http://www.snotr.com/video/1619 they look really nice...heres an insane vid...
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 2:08pm
shtooking rad tyler
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by kingman756

rode my buddies dervish down a decent hill yesterday and died. my back and elbow are so done. ill wait for some snow to snowboarding. longboarding is just hurting me.

that's probably what sucks most about longboarding. it's actually pretty hard to learn braking mechanisms. snowboarding is cool cause you kinda just have to look up at the mountain and you'll automatically brake. lol. footbraking took me about 5 days of dedication to get smoothly. 
i, for one, cannot wait for the snow as well. 
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 6:46pm
Those longboards are sweet

So i've been out riding my new venom bushings. Such a nice carve i did not know what i was missing. Also bought orangatang stimulus 86a's waiting for the knee pads to get here before i break those in
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Quote Longboarderdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2010 at 5:59am

Those longboards are sweet

So i've been out riding my new venom bushings. Such a nice carve i did not know what i was missing. Also bought orangatang stimulus 86a's waiting for the knee pads to get here before i break those in
Glad to hear you like the venoms... what duros did you get?
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 9:39am
red 90a's. one cone and one barrel
Has anyone tried sliding in rain? It's going to be raining all week and i want to try some stand up slides.
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2010 at 8:08pm
first off, standups dont help your standups slides, theyll make you whip around if you dont know what you are doing. also, slide in the rain? well thatll kill your mounting hardware and bearings wont it.
Unless you are talking about your damp road, imma have to label you an idiot :D

Itll kill anything metal, and your board to ride it while its raining
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 10:01am
@Kquan
by sliding in the rain yes i meant on damp or wet roads. Didn't actually mean going out while it's raining. "Standups don't help your standup slides" not sure what you meant by that. I did actually go out and try some slides in the rain, wasn't able to get the full 180(stand-up) but got close a couple times. I don't think riding on wet roads for 1 day is going to kill all the metal. Just sayin
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 1:21pm
Oh I thought you meant sliding while raining, I thought that was insanely stupid! I meant standups in the rain dont help your standups, it will either whip around or once you get it, itll feel wierd when you are on hard ground
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 3:25pm
it might mess your bearings up, but the trucks are mostly aluminum anyways, so its not going to kill them.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:19am
@Kquan
yeah i think you were right I can't do it at all on dry ground now so that was a stupid idea
standups are frusterating tho i've been working on them for weeks and i can't get it down
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:28am
stand up slides are easy.... and i ride 80a wheels with a large contact patch...
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:30am
Originally posted by IceCoast

stand up slides are easy.... and i ride 80a wheels with a large contact patch...

How long did it take you to learn? I'm ridin 86a's
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:32am
umm... i could do them the first day i bought my longboard... I really cant even think about how you cant slide with 86's. But dont listen to me, i think im a moderator. 
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2010 at 10:37am
I think i just suck
Kquan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Kquan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 5:19am

I think i just suck

its not a big carve, you put all the weight on your front foot, carve back
follow your board up on ur back
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2010 at 11:17am
You dont suck. Stand up slides arent for everyone. They are natural. You are going sideways on a board designed to go straight. You have to fight what the board wants to do.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The B.O.B Rail Jam 2010

Quote Rossco2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2010 at 2:31pm
The arent natural is what i meant to say****
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>