Official Longboard Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 23>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DharmaBum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DharmaBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Longboard Thread
    Posted: Mar/25/2010 at 8:14pm
speed and skill with a harder (probably 84) duro wheel.

Nothing like an Apex though, Original sell boards based on their truck systems, the carve appeal is what does it, Originals decks are nothing to brag home about. Those guys are riding Paris or Randalls, I think all the loaded guys do, with Otang or 4prez wheels Im guessing.

That might be the only Loaded Id consider getting, but after my kalai
get your fix @ www.Actionsportstoday.com
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 3:32pm
anyone out there rock otang wheels, looking at getting the 75mm in heat (80a) for my dervish, and they arnt slide wheels but im wondering how they do slide if they are broken in decently, dont know if i want a full slide will like the durian cause i think they might be bad for pumping and tricks and stuff, any insight?
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 3:36pm
i have the purple in heats, the 83a. i dont really slide on my longboard, especially with these wheels. they grip like crazy, and are super wide. i love them though, they are so smooth and fast, and the colors rock. i used to have a set of abec 11 in 78a i think and they slid out more than the 83a's that i have now.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2010 at 3:44pm
im thinking of just gettting in heats80a and getting durians 86s.

also this sounds like a noob question, but wtf dude bearing spaces do, ive never used them, but i was making boards online and some sites asked if you want them
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 9:24am
basically they go on the axle in between the two bearings on the same wheel, so its inside the wheel when the bearings are in, so that the bearings have less of a chance of breaking or misaligning like when sliding. if there is a space in between the bearings, and you turn the board sideways, like for slide or whatever, sometimes your bearings will blow out because they are just two rings with little balls in the middle. so bearing spacers keep that from happening.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 9:31am
hmmm i surprised i didnt know that lol, but thanks
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 9:34am
i dont think they are really necessary, but then again, i'm not that hardcore, i dont do huge slides or carves that will break bearings. and i have cheap bearings. if i had swiss bones or something, i'd probably get some.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 9:43am
ima get some when i order my wheels
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 9:58am
it probably wouldnt hurt. youre gonna be so stoked on those wheels, i love mine, totally worth the cash.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 10:02am
niccce, im tempted to get the 83a's, but i think ill just go with the 80a's
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 10:02am
i deff like lots of grip for mannys and stuff like that
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 4:44pm
hmmm im felling 83as now... lol
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 4:48pm
yeah, i was surprised at how much grip the 83a's have. its incredible. before, when i was reading up on them on the internet, i was totally set on the 80a's, but i went to a local skate shop, and they had the 4presidents in 80a and the durians in 83a and that made up my mind, the orange one just felt too soft to me. i'm way happy i got the 83's. i would suggest trying to find someone with a set of one or the other and seeing what you think, even if its just looking at them in a skateshop. that being said, the difference will be pretty negligible anyways, i'm sure you'll be happy with each.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 4:50pm
so you have durians? im looking at the in heats more so
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 4:52pm
no, i just saw the durians in 83a, and i felt that they were like the ones that i wanted in the in heat, so i ordered those, because they didnt have them in the shop
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 5:18pm
oh gottcha, ya as cool as the bright orange looks, function is what matter, thats y im going to the 83s
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2010 at 6:34pm
yeah, i agree. the purple looks pretty sweet too, maybe not as bright, but still sweet.
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jonl89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by IceCoast

anyone out there rock otang wheels, looking at getting the 75mm in heat (80a) for my dervish, and they arnt slide wheels but im wondering how they do slide if they are broken in decently, dont know if i want a full slide will like the durian cause i think they might be bad for pumping and tricks and stuff, any insight?

Go to silverfishlongboarding.com

They will be able to help you at with anything longboard related.

IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 1:20pm
oh ya i love that place, i reads the reviews and stuff, i just ordered some in heats , went with the 80as, some bearing spaces, and some grip cause the spray-on, on my dervish is pretty dead.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 2:11pm
sick man. what flex dervish do you ride? i'm thinking of getting one. i've been on the flex 2, and it was pretty flexy, just wondering if the 1 is really stiff or not.
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jonl89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 2:25pm

oh ya i love that place, i reads the reviews and stuff, i just ordered some in heats , went with the 80as, some bearing spaces, and some grip cause the spray-on, on my dervish is pretty dead.

You're not the first one to re-grip a dervish haha 

I would go custom rather than just putting on spray-on. It's makes it more personal/unique. Here are some other people's custom grip tape jobs

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-videos-photos/33868-grip-tape-fun-19.html

There is also a tutorial on how to do it

http://yanyanxu.com/2009/12/19/how-to-regrip-a-longboard-loaded-dervish-edition/
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 3:05pm
oh legit thanks man, ya im deff doing custom, i just picked up some squares of grip, it says that it is rougher and grippyer, recommend for longboards, not street skaters, so it should be good, as for design im thinking like a big target or something, i dont wanna do tiny designs that might rip off.
panther, mine is flex 1, i wiegh 170, and do freestyle, thats y i went stiffer, youtube dervish flex tests, it should help you out with what size you want.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 4:33pm
i have no imagination, but i saw this one guys grip job in that thread, and its easy and simple, but looks awesome, i might have to copy it.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 3:42pm
what board do you ride panther, and jonl
wengels View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote wengels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 3:47pm
the best alternative to snowboarding is longboarding
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 3:57pm
heres my cruiser, one of the first arbors made...by sector 9
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 4:19pm
i have a landyachtz from a few years ago, i think its the drop carve. its nice, just not very flexy. i think thats one of things i dont like about some landyachtz, they make a lot of downhill decks, so they are solid, but stiff and heavy.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:28pm
sweet, i like the looks of those, ill try to post a pic of my dervish when i dress it up
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 8:10pm
sweet man, i want to see the custom grip tape you're going go put on. i looked at those pics on the silverfish forum, some of those are sick.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 2:19am
ya some people on there deffinetly have some talent.
im not going crazy with it, just some shapes on a pattern out past both sides of the loaded logo in the middle. theres alot of simliar ones like that on silverfish, and i just love the way it looks
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 2:33am
i also dont want tiny details that might rip off
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 11:56am
so here are my ideas, two rising suns, one where each foot goes.
or bamboo or shapes where the feet are, i dont wanna do something small that might rip off,
what do you think
DharmaBum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote DharmaBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 6:32pm
so.. Keep in mind, sliding isnt just about the wheel's duro, I slide my 80a's all day long... I have Lime Zig's. Its also about the width of the wheel, the shape of the lip, the kind of bushings your running on your trucks, truck axle length, board length. Lemon Zig's are my favorite all around wheel, perfect for cruising, awesome for sliding, grip when you need it and slip when you don't.

I also like to stack a hard duro bushing and a soft duro bushing (hard near hanger, soft near axle) for a little better slide initiation.
get your fix @ www.Actionsportstoday.com
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2010 at 11:40am
yes i know that square lips arnt ment for sliding, and a hard duro is better for sliding, but once you wear them in they will slide good.

can you explain the bushing thing?
crusse39 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote crusse39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2010 at 4:51pm
I've been longboarding for a few years now, definitely a big fan of Loaded, and definitely a big fan of Otangs.

Bushings really influence how easy your trucks turn with regards to how tight you have your kingpin.
I ride Holey trucks and bushings. I have the Smokes which I believe are 72A or something similarly soft. My kingpin is super tight but I can get wheel-bite on my dervish if I carve too hard. I've heard of people using Holey bushings on other brands of trucks, and getting good success with that setup. The hourglass barrel bushing provides a more lively response than typical cylindrical barrel. I ride Khiros on my other boards, and they're pretty solid. If you're into dancing and carving more than bombing hills (30mph+) I would go with either the orange or the blue. If you do want serious speed, I would go with a higher durometer.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 3:01am
I have a Ques. about longboards:

I was looking at Arbor Cross Step. I have no hills here in South East Michigan. But I do have this trail that is around 10 miles or more all very smooth blacktop. It runs along Metro Parkway all the way to Metro Beach. It is called the Freedom Trail. I currently just ride my bike on it. It would be the perfect spot for a cruiser type longboard?

Do you think the cross step would be a good fit. I am very busy in summer working so I didn't want to go to big. 

Also should I just get the deck and build so I can get better wheels like those gumballs? What do you guys think?
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 3:10am
ive never ridden any arbors. but i have a loaded dervish and i have friends with vangaurds and we love them. youtube loaded longboards you can find some good stuff.
also try to get your board off of the sites that let you build it and pick out all the parts.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:07pm
I had a hard time finding many sites that let u build set-up. I found one with the loaded dervish, I added the gumballs and it was around $270.

I am going to do some more research. Do you have a opinion on the drop thru design that u have against standard mount. the Arbor I was looking at was more basic. I don't know exactly what I need but I'm going to be just cruising but could progress depending on how much time I have. I am learning about the advantages of the drop thru design I just don't know if I need it.
Life is good
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:09pm
drop throughs are sick. its so much easier to push, to foot brake, and its much more stable at speed because you're lower to the gound. the only disadvantage might be that it doesnt carve as hard as a regular deck, but the difference probably isnt too noticeable
crusse39 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote crusse39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:11pm
Check out www.stokedskateboards.com

They let you build a set up, and I believe their Dervish setup is around $260. I feel like they have some of the better prices around.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by panther

drop throughs are sick. its so much easier to push, to foot brake, and its much more stable at speed because you're lower to the gound. the only disadvantage might be that it doesnt carve as hard as a regular deck, but the difference probably isnt too noticeable
^ this. and lower center of gravity is easier to slide. depending ooh wheels too, but in general it is.
btw panther, i got my wheels today, i love them
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by panther

^ this. and lower center of gravity is easier to slide. depending ooh wheels too, but in general it is.
btw panther, i got my wheels today, i love them

sick bro, did you get the orange in heats? werent you debating getting some slide wheels too?
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:16pm
yes got orange in heats. i would like to pick up a pair of durians in the summer.
but i might try to get a tan tien (smaller dervish, smaller wheelbase, kicked up tips) this summer, if i do i will get those wheels with that.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:18pm
yeah, i was looking at either getting a dervish or a tan tien. i think i will probably go with the dervish, just because i want the extra length and stability for hills, and its easy to get. i want either some durians or the stimulus too, in the yellow to try and start sliding. are bigger or smaller wheels better for sliding?
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:21pm
smaller. but if you get the dervish get the 75mm (durians i beleive)
and for the tantein get the smaller ones, thats what loaded recommends.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:22pm
Thanks guys that was some good info. I think I need to go bigger and get the drop thru design. I just have to work a few more hours to pay for difference, but it will be worth it. Hope fully by the end of the month I will have my set-up
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:22pm
if your into freestyle and tricks go for the tantien, otherwise, dervish all the way. of course you can do tricks on the dervish (i do) but the kicked up tips ive heard are hella helpful
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:24pm
shock, i got mine from daddiesboardshop. very good site with ever upgrade you can imagine
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:26pm
yea after you told me about dervish that looks like what I want. I went onto website and checked it out. I'm not into tricks(yet). I want to just cruise and find some good hills to ride down. But I could see myself doing basic tricks but it looks like dervish could handle that.
Life is good
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:27pm
yeah, i think i'll go for the dervish. the reason i got more into longboarding was because i was tired of trick skating and just wanted to cruise and bomb hills. i might have to get some of those durians this summer. crap, i already dropped a grand this winter on snowboard gear, lets see if i can repeat this summer on new longboard stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>