Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 23>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Longboard Thread
    Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:30pm
Yea that is why I have to save this time for longboard, I spent $1100 on Sierra Snowboard this winterConfused
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:33pm
dervish is a great choice
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:37pm
lmao im with you too guys.
this season ive spent well over $2000.
and im only 16
i buy and resell tho. so in the end its not that much
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by IceCoast

lmao im with you too guys.
this season ive spent well over $2000.
and im only 16
i buy and resell tho. so in the end its not that much

nice, are you selling anything good this year? i'm looking for a cheap set of cartels, est on non est, or any good burton binding (ie no mission, custom, or freestyle)
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:45pm
sorry cant help you out there, i usually buy, ride it for a while, and resell unless i love it. but i dont buy burton gear, i prefer like smaller companies and stuff, such as brands that are more rare to see and your local mtn. etc lol
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:50pm
no thats cool, i just fell for the huge burton sales on boards and now i need burton bindings to go with an ics board. i wish i could put unions on it. but whatev, i've got a long time til thats got to be worried about.

meanwhile, i'm stoked about longboarding. i was looking at loaded's website, and i think i'm going to hit up one of the challenge series and get 50 bucks off my dervish when i order it.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:52pm
nice dude sounds fun.
and you do relize that next year union is making conversioin disks
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:53pm
Jeez Ice good thing your husslin' the stuff your not using 2grand is a lot especially at 16. 

I just watched that loaded dervish youtube video of the 2 guys tearing it up. I was in awe. That has got me way motivated to get one. 

Life is good
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:54pm
sick. i might just have to wait and get some of those. i have an $80 price adjustment that i might just have to keep until then. do you ride unions?
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by panther

sick. i might just have to wait and get some of those. i have an $80 price adjustment that i might just have to keep until then. do you ride unions?

lol I'm saving similar price adjustment for 2011 union forces in blue. I'm going to use my contacts for strictly park to soft for anything else.
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 5:59pm
well i do use everything i buy shock, when i resell it i try not to lose to much money. i just love trying different boards and techs.
i work my ass off in the summer for cash, usually mowing lawns, but i can finally get a real job this summer (i know it sounds weird for a 16 year old to say that, but im excited)

i think alot of people have spent more money this season than in past seasons, because seirra has been having awesome sales.
i bought a sierrascope and 390s here this season. wish i woulndt have bought stuff elsewhere cause it seems like everythime i did, the next week the same thing was cheaper here lol.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:01pm
ive had two pairs of unions this season, i honestly had nothing but issues with mine. im going back to 390s next season, i got a pair off here cheap, and will use them for the rest of the season.
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by shock639

lol I'm saving similar price adjustment for 2011 union forces in blue. I'm going to use my contacts for strictly park to soft for anything else.

those look sick, i just looked through the catalog. i might go for the force sl. i have a pair of burton missions, and i want something stiffer.
Codeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Codeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:07pm
I have a Kracked Skulls Scimitar. Awesome board for the money plus the guy who makes them has AMAZING customer service!
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:16pm
nicenice, post up a pic if you get the chance.
cjs5021 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cjs5021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:46pm
http://www.bustinboards.com/
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by cjs5021

http://www.bustinboards.com/

do you have one? i was looking at the strike, it looks pretty nice.
cjs5021 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cjs5021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2010 at 6:57pm
My buddy rides for them... looking to pick one up this summer
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2010 at 5:29am
nice decks, id be down to try out the strike, maybe this summer
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 5:24pm
I posted over at the Silverfish forums, but was curious what the folks here would recommend for first time longboarder:

I'm 5' 11", 180 lbs, size 12 feet.  The daddiesboardshop.com faq is pointing me towards  something around 42", 65-70mm wheels, Randall 180s, Bones Reds bearings. I've also heard that a kicktail board is better for a beginner.

As for what I'm doing- I can't see myself bombing any hills at 40mph, or being a super trickster.  So something forgiving and general-purpose, the closest thing to a quiver-killer in longboards if that exists.

I'm trying not to get hung up on looks, but man, those Arbor decks look awesome.  I've also been recommended KS, and a few from Earthwing.  The tone over there seems to be to stay away from Sector 9 and Loaded.  The Bustin Boards also look pretty sweet, but I don't know how good they'd be for a beginner.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 5:34pm
i think the reason you might be hearing stay away from loaded and sector 9 is cause some people view them as the burton of longboarding (some people thinks that bad) i have a loaded dervish and i love it. i ride 75mm orangatang in heat wheels, randall 180s, and bones super swiss bearings. since your a beginner you prob dont want to spend a ton (another reason why some people dont like loaded, they are pricy, but you get what you pay for)

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35351
this guy makes longboards, chat with him about something good for a begginer and maybe he can make you one, his prices are also VERY good.
BoydNYC View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote BoydNYC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 10:26pm
I love it short...
ratasuka View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ratasuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2010 at 10:28pm
me too man...love short boards...
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 3:48pm
The top short board out there looks like the Longboard Larry Salamander at  35"

You need to check out his site. I am either getting that or his Komodo at 48"
Life is good
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2010 at 3:54pm
I think I'm going for the Earthwing Supercharger with Indy 215s.  Finally, I'll have a way to injure myself in the summer as well.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 11:39am
Well I jumped on the Loaded bandwagon. But not the Dervish, I just ordered the Vangaurd Flex 2 from Daddies. It looks like a Dervish without the drop-thru mounts. It has mad flex. I hooked it up with Randall 180mm trucks, 76mm Gumballs 81a wheels, IDS ABEC 7 Bearings, and some Venom bushings. 

There were so many choices, but this should be a great first board. At 42" it is pretty versatile to carve, slide, pump, dance, or cruise. I know I am going to love and embrace this sport and will end up with more boards but this is a great starting point. I will probably get a LDP like the walkabout from LBL once I learn how to pump but it is to one dimensional for my first deck.
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 11:46am
my friend has a vangaurd, and loves it. great board choice.
i have a dervish and love it.
im also riding randalls
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 11:59am
Yea your avatar helped inspire me.Smile

I will post this thread next week once I ride the board. I am counting down the days. Should be Tuesday.
Life is good
coreyhg View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote coreyhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 12:10pm
Loaded Longboards FTW, hands down. I have a Dervish and Vangard and love them both. Kinda pricey with complete board but well worth the money. Im interested in the Bustin boards also, you can order them however you want. looks to be some great set-ups.
luuserface View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote luuserface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 1:51pm
Like everyone said, Sector 9's are awesome. Own a mini, love cruising on it.
Backside10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Backside10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 2:26pm
cheap longboards at whiskeymilitia.com from time to time.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 4:31pm
You guys need to check out the holesom. It is a new board designed with the help of Long Board Larry. It looks really nice it even has hemp in the deck instead of fiberglass. They have two more boards coming out but they are pricey. The holesom is $190.
Life is good
aguninc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aguninc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 4:35pm

sec 9 are the best

kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kingman756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 4:51pm
i want the freebord soooo badly. snowboarding on pavement!!
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 12:45pm
I'm one more day closer to my Loaded Vangaurd arriving.  3-4 days and counting.
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 1:46pm
nice dude. yea i havent gotten to ride much, it was 40 degrees here today.
i have off school all next week, so ill be snowboarding almost everyday.
probably about7 days out of the next 9. my season is coming to a end soon. ill be longboarding when it warms up some.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 2:44pm
I will have a lot of chances to ride all over many different cities here. I work for myself and do a lot of driving. I see so many different neighborhoods where I'll be able to pull over and do some boarding in some sweet areas. That was a great incentive to buy one. I work in a lot of richy richy neighborhoods with nice pavement, decent hills, and drivers that watch out for people in road. It is going to be so cool when I'm having a bad day and I just pull over grab the board change my boots to shoes and go cruise.Big smile
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 4:11pm
sounds awesome dude. theres alot of paved walking paths here in the woods and around lakes and stuff. and i just got my license so it will be fun this summer to find new places to cruise. when im not working.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by ippollite

i dont really get longboards, freebords look way more fun on hills, and also somewhat safer since you can stop them at speed reasonably easy (it seems), and skateboards look more fun on flats. Whats the appeal of a longboard?

The biggest thing is carving...you can carve a long board without putting your feet down for a very long time if you are good at it...it is a crap load of fun.  They are also super fun on hills.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 4:21pm
i think that generally people who dont know the sport of longboarding, think that you have to have hills, when thats just one part of what you can do.
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Quote shock639 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 12:55pm
Man I'm getting impatient. My Loaded Vangaurd is taking the full 5 days to get here. Daddies Board Shop said it would take 2-5 I guess it takes the full 5 days to get from Oregon to Michigan. I hope I'm riding by tomorrow evening. 
Life is good
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2010 at 12:59pm
damn.
your probably guna have to tighten those trucks up when they come.
i got mine from there, and they were so loose when they came, that i couldnt do 2-3 hard pushes before wobbling all over the place. lol.
and no its not my balance, ive been skating for about 8 years and always ride my trucks loose. hahaa
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 9:46am
i just bought a loaded tan tien. its so sick, i cant wait to ride it. i messed up my knee pretty bad last week snowboarding though, so i might have to wait a week or so
Hoof Arted View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Hoof Arted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 2:47pm

i just bought a loaded tan tien. its so sick, i cant wait to ride it. i messed up my knee pretty bad last week snowboarding though, so i might have to wait a week or so

what flex did ya go for?  i'm going back and forth between the tan tien and the Moray from BC Longboards.  technically the same board but with just slight differences. im leaning towards the Moray because of the shorter wheel base plus its less expensive and you can customize the graphics that gets put on it.

but the thing i'm stoked about on each board are the kicktails.  their gona make the boards that much more fun to ride.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 2:51pm
panther- ihateyou, ihateyou, and ihateyou,
jk.
but please post your imput of the board in this thread and do some type of mini reveiw or something, lol.
i might pick it up when i get a job.
efinses View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Aspen Snowmass

Quote efinses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 3:18pm
Don't get a sector 9, go to modern in centerpoint mall(I'm guessing you live in GR since you were in the B.O.B. rail jam this year) and they carry neversummer. My friend just got the NS hiest and it is sooooo sick.
GET Longboards make longboarding better. Get a GET longboard
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 3:19pm
yeah, i just bought the deck, but it was in the shop with the trucks on it, so i played around with it. i got the flex 2, which has about the same flex pattern as the dervish flex 1, but its shorter, so it doesnt flex as far, if that makes sense. like it requires the same pressure to make it flex, but it would be harder to bottom it out. the kicktails are sick, thats the main thing that convinced me to buy a tan tien instead of a dervish. its noticeably lighter than a dervish too.

i'll talk a little more about it when i ride it this weekend. the price tag is RIDICULOUS though. 200 with tax just for the deck. you could almost get another brand's complete for that much. good thing i had a bunch of cash from selling college textbooks back.   
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 4:19pm
lol, ya loadeds are expensive.
im probably guna get it as a complete, and have my dervish for cruising and the tantien for everything else.

good thing im 16 and dont spend my money on anything besides snowboarding, longboarding, and xbox.

oh ya and now gas
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by IceCoast

lol, ya loadeds are expensive.
im probably guna get it as a complete, and have my dervish for cruising and the tantien for everything else.

good thing im 16 and dont spend my money on anything besides snowboarding, longboarding, and xbox.

oh ya and now gas

haha, yeah, that is sweet. you should get the complete. what trucks do you like the best? i just have bears, but i've heard good things about paris. my girlfriend got me some yellow durians for my birthday too, so i'm pumped to try those out and slide.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2010 at 4:29pm
well you have a badass girlfriend. Im getting durians on it, 86a. or stimulus 86a, which ever ones are the 70mm. i think its stimulus.

i have randalls, i dont have any complaints about them, but im guna get paris on the tantien, just to try something different. ya know?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>