Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ZeoS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Moi

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travelling with my bag
    Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 7:28am
Hey, I'm going back to my country and I don't know what to do with my board/bindings in the bag. Should I leave the board with the bindings on, or should I remove the bindings, strap them to the boots?
Everything goes in a Butron Gig Bag so there's no much protection :S
Any advice from experienced riders?
Tree Runs View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
One Man Wolf-Pack

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 7:36am
ive flew from NY to Colorado with my bindings attached to my board in a Burton bag and nothing happened. just put em down and strap the buckles over em and youll be fine.
(Something Clever)
sinister2c View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2010 at 2:51pm
make sure you have cushion between the board and bag...like your boots and jackets/pants to protect the bindings.

Or else remove everything and put it in its own smaller bag
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 4:43am
me and my buddies for trips on a plane, would usually wrap our boards in towels, jackets, pants and all that stuff just to cushion it. So far so good, as nothing major or noticeable has happened yet. I usually also have my bindings off the board, just in case.
aznxjz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 4:47am
I've always travelled with the bindings attached to the board, but then i stuff the rest of the bag with my jacket, pants, etc.  In the future I will probably detach the bindings and place them in a separate bag so my board doesn't get scratched. 

stehoul199 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 4:54am
always take the bindings off. If youre not riding it or storing it for a while dont keep the bindings on
capitacaptain View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
World Domination Corporation

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:00am
A good friend of mine used to work at the airport as a baggage handler and has told me countless horror stories of how your luggage is actually handled. Bags were constantly being dropped off the carts, tossed in with no regard to what "might" be in them, and sometimes worse with bags that were somewhat of a pain to handle for disgruntled employees (your 5 foot board bag). I realize that this doesn't happen every time, but I'm not willing to risk opening my bag to find a cracked binding after flying across the country to ride. Now I take my bindings off and try to put them in my carry-on if possible. Also be sure to generously pad your deck with towels, jackets, clothes, etc as stated in previous posts.
Kenmanh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by capitacaptain

A good friend of mine used to work at the airport as a baggage handler and has told me countless horror stories of how your luggage is actually handled. Bags were constantly being dropped off the carts, tossed in with no regard to what "might" be in them, and sometimes worse with bags that were somewhat of a pain to handle for disgruntled employees (your 5 foot board bag). I realize that this doesn't happen every time, but I'm not willing to risk opening my bag to find a cracked binding after flying across the country to ride. Now I take my bindings off and try to put them in my carry-on if possible. Also be sure to generously pad your deck with towels, jackets, clothes, etc as stated in previous posts.

You're getting me worried about the baggage handlers.

Is there some kind of rubber lining that we can buy to wrap the edges of the snowboard before putting it in the bag?  I suppose the base and top is pretty well protected with towels and clothings but a good wack on the edge from angry handlers can really damage the edges.  Or is the chance of this happenning in a good bag very very low?
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:15am
I leave the binding on when I travel. If I have multiple boards or I just want extra protection I put some cardboard between the board or between the board and the bag itself. I also have my boots and helmet on top of the board to prevent things from crushing the bindings.
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Kenmanh

Is there some kind of rubber lining that we can buy to wrap the edges of the snowboard before putting it in the bag? I suppose the base and top is pretty well protected with towels and clothings but a good wack on the edge from angry handlers can really damage the edges. Or is the chance of this happenning in a good bag very very low?

You can do what I do and put a big peice of cardboard under your board and fold it up around the edges for a bit of added protection.
capitacaptain View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
World Domination Corporation

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:22am
Originally posted by kenmanh

Is there some kind of rubber lining that we can buy to wrap the edges of the snowboard before putting it in the bag? I suppose the base and top is pretty well protected with towels and clothings but a good wack on the edge from angry handlers can really damage the edges. Or is the chance of this happenning in a good bag very very low?

Not trying to scare anyone, I just would hate for a fellow SS'er to travel across the country on a big trip, just to open the bag and find their gear messed up. I have never worried about edge damage after I wrapped the board in towels (like a mummy), and stuffed in my jacket and pant above/below it. Don't wrap the board directly with your jacket or pants though. Learned this the hard way after I found a nice gash in my jacket, luckily it was on the removable hood.

EDIT: The cardboard approach is something I have also used time to time, I saved the cardboard sleeve Sierra shipped my board in for this reason.
EDIT2: YES, I realize that many of you have never had a problem with damaged gear in transit, and Im glad. I just am not willing to risk my 500 dollar board to some baggage guy thats pissed off at the world, especially when it could be prevented in 2 extra minutes of packing.
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:24am
So I've traveled with my board across the country at least 6 times, and in that time, no damage has been done to my board in transit.  I've got a burton gig bag, so it's got a bit of padding which definitely helps.  I also just leave my bindings on, stick my jacket and helmet between the bindings, and stick the boots at the ends.  That helps cushion the bindings from drops and such.  The only thing that kind of sucked was then it was pouring rain at SFO and my bag got soaked while waiting outside and the edges got pretty rusted on the flight over to boston.  But that's not damage due to dropping or manhandling.
DanShredder View Drop Down
Local
Local
my new goggles and helmet from Sierra

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:26am
When i travel i actually keep my bindings in the original box they came in, it actually fits ontop of my board in the bag. The bindings are the only thing i really worry about on planes. Oh and when i'm travelling with two boards i pack bottom board in the bag in the cardboard it actually came in from sierra Tongue
volador View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:29am
isn't the burton bag waterproof? should waterproof mine before traveling? I heard taking the bindings off is smart, that way you don't risk torquing them on the screws if anything presses on them.
Buckshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:43am
Wow you guys all worry too much. Think about what you do to your board in the park and in the trees and honestly tell me if you think that type of stress is going to happen while traveling. If your bindings break because your bag fell off a 4' cart then they were poop to begin with. Throw the thing in the bag and dont think twice about it.
Burton Custom X C02 EST '09 | Burton Hero ICS Infidel (Regs) '10
Kenmanh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Buckshot

Wow you guys all worry too much. Think about what you do to your board in the park and in the trees and honestly tell me if you think that type of stress is going to happen while traveling. If your bindings break because your bag fell off a 4' cart then they were poop to begin with. Throw the thing in the bag and dont think twice about it.

Not worried about my bindings breaking from a 4 foot fall.  It's bomb-proof afterall :)

However, a 4 foot fall onto the edge of your snowboard will do some damage.  Dnbreaks, I like your cardboard idea!
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Buckshot

I was pretty much gonna say the same thing. I've never traveled with a board before as I'm very new to the sport, but I've flown all over the country for work and I know it's not the same, but I've never had any kind of damage to my luggage. I would be much more worried about tearing your gear up on the mountain or in the park than on the ride over.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 8:54am
i picked up the dakine low roller and I'm a big fan of it!
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 9:12am
Your bag is only as good as the padding you put inside. I keep my bindings on and stuff everything I can inside to use as padding. I put a layer of clothes along the base and everything else on the topsheet. Got a Burton space bag and it works fine.
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 9:19am
got the dakine double ski bag. it fits my snowboard. i wrote a review about a month ago when SS was fully stocked in all 5 or 6 prints. now all thats left is pink. my friend wanted to get one as they are only 30 bucks. no problems so far
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 6:52pm
I leave the bindings on and put it in a Dakine padded bag with the boot pockets on each end and enough other stuff in there to fill it and prevent pressure on the bindings. I have a neoprene Burton board sleeve that I put on it for padding around the edges, but didn't do it last time I flew and I think the sharp edge of the board is what cut a gash in the side of the bag. Won't make that mistake again.  
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
volador View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 8:09am
yeah but you never know what the airplane baggage handlers are doing to your stuff. It may not be a 4' fall off a cart but it may be a ton of junk on top of your bag in an airplane hanger for several hours. Any unnecessary stress is no stress I want for my bindings.
Katsu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 8:35am

I once was a ground crew/baggage handler. 

Luggage that is unnecessarily heavy, awkward, has missing handles, or has sh1t tied to it......Shockedgets the rough treatment. 
Usually heavy = gets tossed and it gets the bottom of the pile.
If there is somthing sharp (poking out of luggage)that injures a handler, that luggage usually recieves the death penalty.
No handles = bear hug/ sumo toss.
Tied together luggage either gets munched by conveyors or the orbit slingshot by the handlers. Baggage handlers make unusually low money and even if the airline charges you more to take somthing the handlers never see an extra penny.

Knowing this I pad my board with noodles(the foam kids pool toys) cut in half lengthwise and cut to fit my board bag, wrap board in a towel, and remove my bindings(keep in seperate bag with hardware ziplocked). The foam noodles are cheap insurance like $12 for two 8' ers. My board arrives unscathed so far 4 round trips and counting.
hope this helps everyone.
Buckshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Katsu

I once was a ground crew/baggage handler. 

Luggage that is unnecessarily heavy, awkward, has missing handles, or has sh1t tied to it......Shockedgets the rough treatment. 
Usually heavy = gets tossed and it gets the bottom of the pile.
If there is somthing sharp (poking out of luggage)that injures a handler, that luggage usually recieves the death penalty.
No handles = bear hug/ sumo toss.
Tied together luggage either gets munched by conveyors or the orbit slingshot by the handlers. Baggage handlers make unusually low money and even if the airline charges you more to take somthing the handlers never see an extra penny.

Knowing this I pad my board with noodles(the foam kids pool toys) cut in half lengthwise and cut to fit my board bag, wrap board in a towel, and remove my bindings(keep in seperate bag with hardware ziplocked). The foam noodles are cheap insurance like $12 for two 8' ers. My board arrives unscathed so far 4 round trips and counting.
hope this helps everyone.

Now that sh1ts funnyLOL
hempy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2010 at 9:19am

Is there some kind of rubber lining that we can buy to wrap the edges of the snowboard before putting it in the bag?  I suppose the base and top is pretty well protected with towels and clothings but a good wack on the edge from angry handlers can really damage the edges.  Or is the chance of this happenning in a good bag very very low?

Pool noodles dude!

I used to ship out a lot of really heavy subwoofers and if I didn't have retail packaging, I would use a pool noodle with a slit all the way down around the rim of the speaker.

I buy a bunch off-season and use them for all kinds of shipping.  

Edit- I need to read farther down :)
Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 6:02pm
I stuff my jackets and pants in with my board in a slightly oversized Burton Gig-bag. So far so good. =)
When in doubt eat trout.
kramiih View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by hempy

Pool noodles dude!

that's an awesome idea

my bag is all cut up at the bottom and the wheel is exposed. Will have to gaffer tape an icecream box lid or something so there's something there to grind against
brolio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 8:22pm
I read that getting yourself a starter pistol was a good idea too. It's one of those noise making pistols for the start of like 100m dash. It dosen't count as a firearm at the state level and such. But when you travel you walk up and declare that you have a "firearm" a TSA person comes up and checks your bag then locks it and it gets different tracking and such. Here's a link to an article about it http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/24/secure-your-checked-.html
aubzaubz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 10:12pm

What you guys reckon for a helmet? In board bag or clipped to your hand luggage / backpack?

jdc329 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 10:15pm
For a helmet, I got a Smith Holt.
Buckshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by aubzaubz

What you guys reckon for a helmet? In board bag or clipped to your hand luggage / backpack?

Originally posted by jdc329

For a helmet, I got a Smith Holt.

I think he means, 'What do you recommend for traveling'. As in where to put it, not what kind of helmet Tongue
SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 1:00pm
My helmet goes in the backpack for carry on. It's not something I want damaged by heavy stuff being dropped on it. Use it to tuck at least one pair of goggles inside to protect them too in case the other gets damaged in the luggage.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 1:03pm
i got an old hockey helmet with a mask maybe i should rock that next season
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2010 at 1:07pm
Some good ideas here...I usually remove my bindings and have never had anything bad happen. Even the bag is still is decent shape luckily...just make sure you always cinch your straps down tight in case your zippers break...snowboard bags or otherwise.
rhaha View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 9:00am
Embarrassed for a space saver, just wear your helmet. not even joking
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 9:09am
Interesting helmet idea ^
zoire View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 9:22am
The pool noodle idea is awesome!
JCaelum View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 9:35am
pool noodle idea is great, but here's my (similar) suggestion:

go to a home improvment store, plumbing section, and get the Pipe foam used to insulate water pipes. It looks just like a pool noodle but it is already slit open so you can just cut it to size and slap it on the sides of your board.

they are super cheap too, you can get 6' for about $1.99
jnurka View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2010 at 8:06pm
i got a dakine snowboard bag on here on sale its like 2 metres long is that overkill or should i just shove everything i have in there. i just dont know how much its ganna cost taking it overseas
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:29am
do what ever works. if the bindings on the board fit in the bag make sure you throw some towels and some protection in the bag
Brandysl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 10:51pm
I would like to separate the Bindings and the snowboards, because it is easily packing and use the boardsleeve to protect the board edge.
ryeguy247 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2010 at 11:04pm
i personally took off my bindings and put them in my suitcase with my boots then wraped my board in bubble wrap because last time i shiped it all as is it came back with a wrecked base. It literally looked like someone took a knife and took out chunks of my base
 Post Reply Post Reply