what do you drive-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5152535455 56>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you drive-
    Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Superorb

That Outback looks great! But steel wheels? I thought they ALL came with really nice 17" aluminum wheels.

They just look like aluminum wheels that were painted to me. 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by getkong

That Outback looks great! But steel wheels? I thought they ALL came with really nice 17" aluminum wheels.

Look at the first pic. You can see the wheel cover (painted black) and between the spokes you can see the black steel wheels.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
First time ever snowboarding

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 8:38pm
My 2006 Nissan 350Z. Love this car, but for me a stepping stone for a Viper. I love all cars, so hopefully someday my garage is way bigger than my house! For snowboarding I use my Jeep though Thumbs Up

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Viper713

My 2006 Nissan 350Z. Love this car, but for me a stepping stone for a Viper. I love all cars, so hopefully someday my garage is way bigger than my house! For snowboarding I use my Jeep though Thumbs Up

Why a Viper? I could think of several cars I'd put ahead of that.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 3:40am

The Viper is more because it was the first sports car I fell in love with. I grew up in the 90s when it was new and popular and it has always stuck with me. Don't get me wrong, I want a 458 Italia, Nissan GT-R, and many others ranging from muscle to exotic. But I want to fulfill my childhood dream haha

batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 4:49am

Look at the first pic. You can see the wheel cover (painted black) and between the spokes you can see the black steel wheels.

LOL Didn't know my rattle can skills were that good.

Anyways...yeah,  steelies..I dunno. The hubbies are subi branded though. (not saying that makes them nice, just that it throws another wrench into the situation) I thought base models had hubs, but I really don't know THAT much about subies. Oh...and they are 16 inch btw. To even confuse you more hahah.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 8:07am

The Viper is more because it was the first sports car I fell in love with. I grew up in the 90s when it was new and popular and it has always stuck with me. Don't get me wrong, I want a 458 Italia, Nissan GT-R, and many others ranging from muscle to exotic. But I want to fulfill my childhood dream haha

That makes sense, I didn't even notice your username till now. I fell in love with a Ferrari 355 Spyder in yellow the same time you grew up.

Snow Day Colorado

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 8:20am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Anyways...yeah,  steelies..I dunno. The hubbies are subi branded though. (not saying that makes them nice, just that it throws another wrench into the situation) I thought base models had hubs, but I really don't know THAT much about subies. Oh...and they are 16 inch btw. To even confuse you more hahah.

I've never seen steel wheels on an Outback EVER, so I never considered them coming with steelies. Even the old school ones had aluminum wheels.

Ok, so it looks like they started with the steel wheels in 2007 on the base (basic) model and kept it that way. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get hosed. You could use those wheels for winters and buy a set of the 17" standard wheels from the 06 or older Outback for the rest of the year.
Snow Day Colorado

batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 10:21am

You could use those wheels for winters and buy a set of the 17" standard wheels from the 06 or older Outback for the rest of the year.

That's the plan....well..kinda. The summer wheels will prob not be from another subi. but rather something a little darker, and flashier. My wife has fallen in love with BBS. I just wish she would understand that her bank account will not feel the same way. Ever since she has gotten this thing, she has been surprising the piss out of me. All I hear is, "I want this...I want that" and so on. Already wants a light bar, fog lights, rally armor flaps, expensive flashy ass summer wheels, and so on..LOL
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 11:36am

You could use those wheels for winters and buy a set of the 17" standard wheels from the 06 or older Outback for the rest of the year.
That's the plan....well..kinda. The summer wheels will prob not be from another subi. but rather something a little darker, and flashier. My wife has fallen in love with BBS. I just wish she would understand that her bank account will not feel the same way. Ever since she has gotten this thing, she has been surprising the piss out of me. All I hear is, "I want this...I want that" and so on. Already wants a light bar, fog lights, rally armor flaps, expensive flashy ass summer wheels, and so on..LOL

Not too intrude on the conversation but I love the way Safari Racks look on Subaru's (not my car)
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 1:57pm

Get her some summer Rotas from wheeldude.com. They're cheap(ish) and you can get them in a host of colors. I have the G-Forces in Gunmetal 17x8.

Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2012 at 3:18pm
Rota wheels are super popular with the Subaru crowd for good reason. Look nice, don't weigh too much, and decent prices. 
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 3:58am

That makes sense, I didn't even notice your username till now. I fell in love with a Ferrari 355 Spyder in yellow the same time you grew up.

That's a great looking car and will always turn heads no matter how old it gets. My other car I help build with my father for racing is 1970 Dodge Dart. We put a little more power into though by shoving a big block 500 cube engine.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 7:51am
^^ Is that your dad's garage? Some day I wish to have a garage larger than the house it's attached to :)
Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 8:57am
I keep telling my gf I need at least a 3 car garage if I'm going to buy a house. She doesn't understand why I'd want that much room, but I haven't broken it to her that 3 attached and a 3 car garage detached from the house would be the best. 
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 9:00am
^ Believe me, a 3 car garage isn't as big as you might think.  The damn thing fills up fast, even though we have just 2 vehicles.  Lawn/landscaping equipment, snow blower, bikes, sports gear, kids summer outdoor toys... before you know it you're lucky to be able to squeeze 2 vehicles in.

I like your idea, 3 car attached and 3 car detached.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 9:33am
We went form a 1car apt to a 2car townhouse. We can now fit both cars in the garage. We have 12' ceiling in there so I'm putting up those bicycle hoists to get them off the floor. I always hit the handlebars walking by. A 3car garage should be an absolute minimum, and even they fill up fast with only 2 cars. I'd be happy with a 4 car garage Big smile
Snow Day Colorado

Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 5:47pm

^^ Is that your dad's garage? Some day I wish to have a garage larger than the house it's attached to :)

It was a small garage where we kept our race cars with my dad's friend. That friend has since gotten a huge warehouse and made a race/restoration shop. Needless to say, lot's of amazing cars come out of there!
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 4:02pm
Still drive a '79 Ford pickup when I need to haul stuff. Can't be a primary vehicle with its terrible gas mileage.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2012 at 8:50am
changing the valve springs, valve seals, spark plugs, wires in my z06.  serious pain in the ass, especially when i lost a single valve spring keeper, and had to wait until this morning to pick one up from the dealership. ugh.
ichiban View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ichiban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 9:49am
Got this in June, finally got around to taking some photos...2012 Audi S5

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 11:17am
I absolutely LOVE that s5, except that you need to put some blacked-out wheels on there.  These perhaps?

-b
get bent
ichiban View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ichiban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 11:48am
yeah, thats probably the next step, then tint...gotta save up first
JESSICRAZIE View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JESSICRAZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 1:51pm
my friend just got the A5, in red. its a beautiful car. wouldnt have chosen red though! enjoy it! 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:33pm
4 doors are a requirement for me, bonus points for wagons.
Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:43pm
if only the rs4 avant was coming to the states...
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:48pm

if only the rs4 avant was coming to the states...
+1 EU gets all the goods!
Snow Day Colorado

Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by ichiban

That's an awesome car. I try to explain to some people how good an A5 or S5 look using a picture but it just looks so much sexier in person.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 12:36pm
the s4 v s5 was probably one of the first times i thought the sedan looked better than the coupe.  it just looks a liiiiittle too stretched to me.  might just be me getting older and more practical, though.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 12:41pm
Not just you kong... I've always liked performance sedans. So much more practical, plus I think they look better. The old school M3 sedan is nice.
Snow Day Colorado

Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 2:01pm
E39 M5, to me, is the king of super sedans. A fine mixture of brutal power and upright composure (drawing closely from their 7 series) in one tasteful package. E60 more closely resembled a UFO from both design and mechanical perspectives.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 1:52pm
Love the e39 m5 and e46 m3. They've been worse after those two, in my opinion. 
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Lux

E39 M5, to me, is the king of super sedans. A fine mixture of brutal power and upright composure (drawing closely from their 7 series) in one tasteful package. E60 more closely resembled a UFO from both design and mechanical perspectives.

I miss mine, I drove the E60 several times and simply didn't enjoy the ride as much, though it did have a lot more technology and a bigger trunk.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 8:48pm
The older cars just felt more connected to the road.
Snow Day Colorado

JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:46am
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:55am
I ended my 3 day long hell with my car yesterday with a stroke of luck. What started out as a simple CV axle boot replacement turned into a nightmare. The axle was stuck and wouldn't come out of the hub. I even broke an axle press trying to press the axle out of the hub. So, I had to reboot the axle with it still on the car. NOT fun... I riped a tiny hole in the lower ball joint so I had to buy another one at the stealership. Then I couldn't remove the BJ because the separator borked the threads on it. I had to take a needle file and file ever so slightly the threads to repair them. A few hits with a mini sledge and the BJ came out. Kim's car put up a 2 day fight removing the BJ so I had a beer in celebration :) I had to manually repair threads on another bolt that ate itself too. What a nightmare, but the car is back on the road :)
Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 8:14am
ouch.  my valve spring job was *supposed* to take no more than 6 hours, but with losing a single valve spring keeper, and then snapping a bolt in the head, it took closer to 11 hours.  
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 8:18am

ouch.  my valve spring job was *supposed* to take no more than 6 hours, but with losing a single valve spring keeper, and then snapping a bolt in the head, it took closer to 11 hours.  
Not even doubling the time is a win in my book. Usually something is rusted to hell and it takes me a few days longer than expected. Rebooting an axle should've been an hour or two tops, not a 3 day disaster. If I wasn't ale to fix the threads of that BJ I would've had to find another knuckle, new wheel bearing/hub along with another axle.
Snow Day Colorado

Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 11:43am
I'd put some fire on the hub to help loosen up the axle. Axle splines will tend to stick in the hub after some time. For most FWD cars, you can remove only the tie rod from the knuckle and give yourself enough room to pull the axle-- this avoids tampering with the ball joints. A good deadblow hammer, or a sledge with a drift punch, can tap the axle out once heated with a torch; or an air hammer is super useful in these cases. Always strike with the axle nut still on the threads to prevent mushrooming.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Lux

I'd put some fire on the hub to help loosen up the axle. Axle splines will tend to stick in the hub after some time. For most FWD cars, you can remove only the tie rod from the knuckle and give yourself enough room to pull the axle-- this avoids tampering with the ball joints. A good deadblow hammer, or a sledge with a drift punch, can tap the axle out once heated with a torch; or an air hammer is super useful in these cases. Always strike with the axle nut still on the threads to prevent mushrooming.

The tie rod end DOES use a ball joint to connect to the knuckle ;)  And removing the tie rod doesn't allow the knuckle to move farther away from the car since all the tie rod does is pivot the knuckle on the knuckle's ball joint. I just rebooted the inner joint while still on the car. Not easy or fun, but doable on mine.
Snow Day Colorado

BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 6:20pm
replaced the rotors, brakes and shocks/struts in 3 vehicles at my house in the last week, its been real fun...
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:44pm

The tie rod end DOES use a ball joint to connect to the knuckle ;) And removing the tie rod doesn't allow the knuckle to move farther away from the car since all the tie rod does is pivot the knuckle on the knuckle's ball joint. I just rebooted the inner joint while still on the car. Not easy or fun, but doable on mine.
yeah I know a tie rod, but I thought you were talking about the upper/lower balljoints lol. Usually that wide knuckle angle is more than enough to pull out an axle if you compress the shaft (so long as your CV balls haven't seized in their bores). If you do these a lot, I recommend a pitman arm puller. I just got mine a month ago and have used it whenever I had to press out balljoints from their seats instead of using my overdestructive sledge or air hammer; as long as there is a pilot relief in the metal to centre the tool on, it will work every time in literally 3 seconds, with little effort.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Lux

yeah I know a tie rod, but I thought you were talking about the upper/lower balljoints lol. Usually that wide knuckle angle is more than enough to pull out an axle if you compress the shaft (so long as your CV balls haven't seized in their bores). If you do these a lot, I recommend a pitman arm puller. I just got mine a month ago and have used it whenever I had to press out balljoints from their seats instead of using my overdestructive sledge or air hammer; as long as there is a pilot relief in the metal to centre the tool on, it will work every time in literally 3 seconds, with little effort.

On mine I have to move the knuckle about an inch or two out in order to clear the axle shaft from the tranny stub. I've been using ball joint pitman separators since my Honda days back in the 90s. They are a lifesaver and a time saver! But, they don't work on my WRX. I now use something like an X which pivots at the intersection. Works great on the tie rod end BJ but is slightly too small by 1/8" or less for the knuckle BJ. That's why it tore a small slit and caused all this hell in the first place. I only use a pickle fork when I'm replacing said BJ. I'll have to buy another separator and grind down the neck to fit the knuckle BJ though.
Snow Day Colorado

Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 6:15am
Originally posted by ichiban

wow I love that car, I used to drive an audi s4 avant, but totalled it, now I drive a prius and I save a boatload of money in gas.  I keep thinking I want an s5 but whenever I think of gas prices I always have second thoughts. I guess I don't make enough to not care about gas prices, or maybe I'm just getting old.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 3:53pm
Welded myself complete exhaust system yesterday; it's harder than it seems. Deleted both catalytic converters and the resonator. Now it sounds SUUUUPER deep and, being the main objective, flows much better than stock. Revs climb up and turbo spools up real fast now with much less backpressure in the system. Can't say the car drives much different though, it's still too heavy. Will post a pic in a bit.
qwe740 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote qwe740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 6:50pm
94 toyota 4runner, maroon
Amacaluso25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Amacaluso25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 1:39pm

My Mazda 3s!

temp plates btw.... when i first got it last year.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 1:52pm
Taking the scenic route back from Mt Evans and stopped at Echo Mountain.

Snow Day Colorado

kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 3:19pm
wow some people here have some very nice rides
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2012 at 3:28pm
^ You ain't kiddin' brutha.

So this isn't my car, I've never really been a mustang fan (aside from the first 5 years of the make), but I did get to have some fun with it at the track today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 56>